Can a Cuckoo Land in the Clouds? (Cloud-Cuckoo-Land reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Re: Can a Cuckoo Land in the Clouds? (Cloud-Cuckoo-Land reviews)

Post by Spud »

king_arthur wrote:
lalabrookie wrote:And for anyone;[/b] I noticed some of you mentioned how many votes you had - I didn't realize that we can see that. Where do I find that?
front page - music archive (from menu beneath the logo) - click on the song title. You had 8 votes, as did some other people.

Charles (KA)
Also third column (rightmost), under "Last Week's Fights", you will find a link to, well, last week's fight(s).
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

BERKELEY SOCIAL SCENE
Nice tight band. Guitars have too much mid-range. They sound muffled. Drums sound ok though. I like the echo-y guitar solo. That was fun and cool. Vocals are the real problem though. Mixed too low, and actually kind of whiny and not on-key enough. Overall I kind of like this though. I wish you'd changed up the arrangement for the chorus. It sounds just like the verse, and that makes the song too much the same for too long.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
GrahamParry
A New Player
Instruments: guitar, piano, drums, bass, vocals, french horn
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason, Novation Remote LE, Various broken guitars, microphones and laptops and lots of VSTs
Submitting as: Graham Parry

Post by GrahamParry »

Hi, nice to have positive feedback for my first fight, many thanks. Really like a lot of the songs, hope to post reviews myself in future...
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

BERKELEY SOCIAL SCENE:
This song has some drive to it. I like the tempo, vox melody, parts/changes, the busy drums. Guitar and bass are pleasingly active and competently played. The vox is somewhat compromised, giving it a bit of punk attitude. The echo solo is way too long, even with key changes. I kept waiting for it to end -- not a good sign. Make it half (or less) as long, with gongs and flushing toilets. The noises at the bridge after the solo are a nice touch and add minor interest. The end is short and sweet. Tension/release elements are subdued and few -- the very end is the best one. I'd bring the drums (at least the kick and high end) up a bit. Other than that -- I liked it!
Enter a song? Review songs!
Tibor
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Voice, Guitar, Keyboard
Recording Method: Garage band
Submitting as: Tibor

Post by Tibor »

Spud wrote:Berkeley Social Scene was left out of the mix on the initial posting. If you would be kind enough to add them to your reviews, they would appreciate it.
Hi Spud! I have bad news. The podcast subscription still does not show Berkeley Social Scene in the list. I hit refresh several times.
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

Tibor:
Awesome -- especially the round at the end. Simple yet powerful. Great guitar part. You, sir, are a genius. Only the obviously fake drums detract from the power of this work. Djembe or kettle drums/samples would have fit this perfectly. Maybe a little swirling modulation on the vox during the round -- but very little. I could go either way on changing the words to 'proper' English. This is authentic, and it works.
Enter a song? Review songs!
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Tibor wrote:
Spud wrote:Berkeley Social Scene was left out of the mix on the initial posting. If you would be kind enough to add them to your reviews, they would appreciate it.
Hi Spud! I have bad news. The podcast subscription still does not show Berkeley Social Scene in the list. I hit refresh several times.
Sorry about that. There's only so much I can do.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Tibor
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tibor »

Stubby Phillips wrote:Tibor:
Awesome -- especially the round at the end. Simple yet powerful. Great guitar part. You, sir, are a genius. Only the obviously fake drums detract from the power of this work. Djembe or kettle drums/samples would have fit this perfectly. Maybe a little swirling modulation on the vox during the round -- but very little. I could go either way on changing the words to 'proper' English. This is authentic, and it works.
Thank you sir! You just made my day. At least somebody likes my song despite the bad english, the accent and the bad production :) I am so happy. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Post by AJOwens »

Quite a few good entries this fight. Choosing votes will be tough.

Berkeley Social Scene - Lively, with interesting changes, but no strong melody. This sounds like a live performance, which no doubt presents a whole different set of recording challenges. The singing needs to be more up front, and the bass needs a more distinct role in the mix. The guitars are crowding each other for space, except in the dual solo.

Big Clucker Appropriately bonzo for the title. Imaginatively arranged, well executed. The percussion is a study in itself. The composition is quite intricate. Fine guitar work, well recorded.

Daring Front - Cool beat, pretty good vibe, interesting synthesizer goings-on. Nice tension in the vocal lines. The songwriting has good momentum. This one grows on me.

DJ Ranger Den - Evocative. I get a strong image of someone walking around a mental institution holding a log wrapped in a blanket. (That's from Twin Peaks though.)The music brings this out very effectively, with its rich, weird changes, rythmic unpredictability, straying uncontrolled notes, and strange airs. The vocal performance is strong. The brief underwater effect doesn't hurt, but the song would probably work just as well without it.

Ecks Acksis - It feels like you took the easy way out on the title, just throwing it in to a random composition that is maybe a bit zany, but not conspicuously cuckoo. The performance and recording are solid.

EggNogAdam - The texture is like thick cream; the portamento works well with the heavily condensed sound. Nice harmonies, attractive song. Could be longer, but on the other hand the density of sound might get oppressive.

FOLK YOU - Good rhythm, nice slide guitar (needs to be louder), but lame keyboard -- keep practising! If you could get a mic closer to the guitar it would have less room sound. Nicely laid back, but slightly dreary. The singer needs to focus more on pitch.

Graham Parry - Moody opening, good late-night driving sound. Nice chorus; with a different, brighter treatment it could be a hook.[/b]

James Owens - (Knowing that Jim of Seattle was planning to be in, I cast around for a different name for myself, but so far, all the good ones are taken.) I'm pleased with this entry such as it is -- does what I want, and the recording worked pretty well I think -- but it's short and unresolved.

Jim of Seattle - This is complex, tonally interesting, challenging. It feels more like reverie or program music than song. Good arranging. The orchestral samples are amazing, unless of course you have a real orchestra at your disposal. The thunder and rain feel a bit theatrical. Overall, interesting stuff, but I bet you'd get more appreciation in a Classical Fight.

Johnny Cashpoint - Suitably demented sound, but oddly unfocussed in retrospect, as if there were no distinct events. To me, the effect leans more toward creepy than cuckoo.

King Arthur - Good atmosphere, played with spirit. The lead guitar noodling is perfect. The lyrics are economical and entertaining, but I gather you're unfamiliar with the expression "Cloud Cuckoo Land."

lalabrookie - Another case where the guitar is far from the mic and there's a lot of room sound. Nice harmonies. The chords and melodies could be more adventurous. The organ adds a nice touch, but also plays it safe.

Pigfarmer Jr - Good rich sound, but after a while the beat starts to feel insistent and stilted. The lead guitar works well. The singing is pretty good, a little shaky here and there. The song sustains interest and wraps up neatly, but feels too long by about a chorus.

Schlimminy Cricket - The sound has an unusual and appealing hollowness. For some reason, I see clouds moving at high speeds over strangely still fields. (That may be an acid flashback.) The music communicates a mood or mental state very well. The lyrics don't detract from that, but don't add to it either; they're sort off to the side, at least until the crash.

Tibor - Good recording. Interesting syncopated arrangement, gently handled, as more parts are introduced and the openness and clarity are preserved. The contrast starting at about 2:10 is a little strong for me, but I like the way you build that intensity with just the vocal interplay. Thoughtful lyrics.
Tibor
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tibor »

AJOwens wrote: Tibor - Good recording. Interesting syncopated arrangement, gently handled, as more parts are introduced and the openness and clarity are preserved. The contrast starting at about 2:10 is a little strong for me, but I like the way you build that intensity with just the vocal interplay. Thoughtful lyrics.
OMG can I be more happier? I am so glad you liked it. You gave me hope, that this song has some potential in it. Thank you for that.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

AJOwens wrote:James Owens - (Knowing that Jim of Seattle was planning to be in, I cast around for a different name for myself, but so far, all the good ones are taken.) I'm pleased with this entry such as it is -- does what I want, and the recording worked pretty well I think -- but it's short and unresolved.

Jim of Seattle - This is complex, tonally interesting, challenging. It feels more like reverie or program music than song. Good arranging. The orchestral samples are amazing, unless of course you have a real orchestra at your disposal. The thunder and rain feel a bit theatrical. Overall, interesting stuff, but I bet you'd get more appreciation in a Classical Fight.
Thanks for the review. As for your name, I can't really blame you. I certainly can't think of a better name! You should stick with it. Plus, that way all your archived entries are listed in the same place. (I REALLY wish I'd thought of that before I started futzing around with other band names.)

I use EastWest Symphony Orchestra Gold Edition. Nothing better for the price (about $400)

I've gotten crap before about submitting things that weren't supposedly "songs", but nowhere do the rules say it has to be a song. Or that it has to have words. One extremely unpleasant songfighter once submitted 2 hours of static. In any case, for me it was all about getting something up there after 3 long dry years.

And man, this forum is a lot quieter than a few years ago. I originally told myself I was going to behave and be more polite and not rock any boats like I yoosta, but maybe this boat needs some rocking. F'rcryinoutloud...
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

i didnt submit this week, but i never cant help but give my $0.02 ... you cant get much with two cents, so take it or leave it... it might help pay your sales tax though.
in a relatively random order

Jim of Seattle: this is the background music from "brazil" where that dude is flying in his dream right? i def get the cloud feel... i guess ill buy that there was a cuckoo clock sound in there too... cool, and dreamy. i enjoyed it very much. definately is awesome background music.

Schlim: i really liked this one. to the point, the fingerpicking was re-donk-u-lous. was that several overlapped tracks? too cool. and the voice sounded soothing and safe, kinda deathcab for cutie style. i like a lot.

J$: cool, but all the parts dont sound like they are quite in time to me. i really like the "are you happy" part. and though i know its almost the opposite of what you are going for, but i want to hear it go into a dubstep beat instead of going mellow. just me... keep up the good work!

Graham: is that a dulcimer? it sounds very percussive, very cool. i think the massive echo on the snare hits sounds weird, and the snare hits are weird to begin with. everything except them is fantastic. i really really really really dig your voice, even the parts with the crazy phaser on it (which i think could be done with out). i like it.

eggnog: wow... a little alarmingly loud off the bat. but funky... i want drums with out that annoying effect on them, and i want them just a touch louder. it needs a big booty bass line, and a funky chicka chicka guitar part and it would be incredible! reminds me of jamiroquai with a manlier voice. make it longer!

Lala: i enjoyed it, especially the fridge with booze line, but all in all it was rather unexciting. actually until that line i thought it would be a good kids song. you have the voice for childrens music, and simple happy chord progressions work there as well. had it been a little goofier and childish in the lyrics (though i enjoyed the ones now) it may have gotten a vote. and a kazoo solo instead of the synth thing.

James Owens: this song makes me chuckle. its so damn silly. of what ive listened to so far this best exemplifies the title. well done sir.

Daring Front: hmm... coulda done without the forest noises. i like the hard pop music. your voice sounds like trent reznor... singing a britney spears song. no offence. i can get down with this, but i think to get really popular it would have to go either more hard, or more pop.

Big Clucker: wheeeeeee! i guess this is the kind of title that lends itself really well to instrumentals. because i hear cloud cuckoo land in this one too. this is a lot of fun.

King Arthur: good to hear you back. the guitar work is amazing, but i can hear the timidness in your voice where you want to belt it out, but hold back. cool song... take it easy on the pipes, we need them back!

folk you: there is a part or two where your just a hair off beat... not too bad. my main grip with this song is the distorted guitar. i m a strong believer that if your gonna use distortion pick one that sounds awesome. this one sounds hollow, nasal, and flat all at the same time. would have been awesome with just a big body acoustic chugging out those power chords. the distortion sounded fine on the little solo things, just on the rhythm guitar it was a bit much, and took away from the rest of a really good song.

BSS: i really like the drums in this song. i think i sometimes dont like your drums... and its really nice to hear them really belted out. i think they get a little lost behind the guitar in the mix but they are superbly played. i really like the parts with no words, the parts with words are cool too, but that solo was tasty.

Tibor: you asked about your accent.. ill give you a short list of words you pronounce funny from this song. "selfish", you say "selfeesh". sometimes you say "thoo" instead of "through"... just a missing r sound. ooh i like it a lot when it gets loud! you roll your r's when you say "strange"... and "heoups" instead of "hopes"... basically we sound like zombie apes when we talk. but i must admit you did much better in this song than the previous one. however, even if you pronounce every word correctly, you will still have an accent. however, you should hear my hungarian. oh wait, thats right... i cant speak hungarian... you are already ahead of me! good job my friend!

ecks: though i would have liked the instrumental version of this song a lot more, i understand why you threw the "cloud... cuckoo.... .... land" in there. i have noticed that it has become popular as of late to accuse(?) people of being songfighter "the HATE noise". i am now throwing in my vote for "who is the HATE noise now?" and saying Ecks Acksis. please dont take this as offensive. i was a big fan of his work, and enjoyed it all... so if you are not in fact he, you do very good work as well.

DJRD: wow. what a trip. i feel like i have come down off drugs. beautiful.

i dunno who im gonna vote for yet... im just glad i didnt have to compete with any of these songs. superb fight.
Last edited by BBABM on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FOLK YOU
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard, & harmonica
Recording Method: iPhone gigbaby app,& reaper for mixing
Submitting as: FOLK YOU

Post by FOLK YOU »

Thanks to those of you that reviewed my song. I appreciate all critism. I am just a hack with no clue. It's like sex it's fun, but I dont know what I'm doing. Here are my reviews in no particular order.

Berkeley ss: great tune! This really rocks. It's to bad you where a late comer.

Big Clucker: sounds great. It's fun, but not what I'm into.

Tibor: I love this. It's hypnotic, moving, raw,& powerful. Great job.I wouldn't worry about proper English or grammar. I really feel it. I wouldn't chang a thing.

Schlimminy Cricket: it's nice. Pretty guitar,but sounds too muffled.

Pig Farmer Jr.: I love it! Great tone. I like the contrast of the soft vocals against the gritty guitar.

Brooke: I like this. I like the vocal delivery & upbeat guitar. It Sounds pretty. Ye ha!

King Arthur : Yeah! This is cool. I like everything about it.

Johnny cashpoint : I'm a fan of yours, but not fo much this song. It is still slowly growing on me.

Jim: maybe you are a good composer? I don't know. It's not what im into. I appreciate your second review you gave me. I look forward to hearing more from you.

James Owens : I really like this. It makes me smile. Very pretty.

Graham Perry: this is well done, but not my thing. I did enjoy it.

Eggnogadam: this is pretty cool. I feel like it should go somewhere. Sounds good.

Ecks Acksis: this is kind of neat, but does nothing for me.

Dj Ranger Den: this is ok for me. It kind of reminds me of Clara Berry & or Tori Amos? Not really for me. I like you voice.

Samuel shoop: I don't know what to do with this. It sounds put together well. Not so much my thing. It sounds like the nine inch nails stuff I've heard?
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

BBABM wrote:i am now throwing in my vote for "who is the HATE noise now?" and saying Ecks Acksis.
Hate was a better rapper (see last week) and didn't use synths/FL studio. Anything's possible, I suppose. Gonna go listen to HN's album now, for old times' sake.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: lalabrookie

Post by lalabrookie »

All right - REVIEWS!!!!

DARING FRONT: gorgeous effects, nice voice. Lyrics a little hard to understand. Nine Inch Nails influence? I like!

JAMES OWENS: Hilarious! Nice falsetto and guitar. Little too much low end? Still, nice.

FOLK YOU: I picture you sitting by an old train track in the weeds, strummin' the geetar (Johnny B. Goode style), while you're playing this. Great rhythms. I like the idea of the piano but not sure if it fits. However, the song definitely had me tapping my foot. Vocals sounded a little flat at parts but the "cuckoo's" were funny. Song was a little long, but still very worth listening to.

BERKELY SOCIAL SCENE: Nice contrast between rhythm guitar and vocals. Solo sounded good and also enjoyed the cuckoos at the end.

PIG FARMER: I like your voice. Great enunciation. Nice catchy melody, solos & good lyrics.

EGGNOG: Hard to understand lyhrics. I think Genesis probably could have taken this and made it great- very good as it is, though. Were those harmonies canned or did you sing them the whole way through?

TIBOR: This gripped me right away. I liked the echo on the words in the verses, but it maybe could have been more subtle? Piano was amazing and liked the chime things. Then the surprising but kickass guitar...yay! Your voice is also very nice. I think I may be jealous right here of your song :oops: Engaging vocal layering at the end and nice simple, sweet ending. WINNER

SCHLIMINY: very, very pretty. Awesome string work. What was up with the crash at the end? Crash back to reality?

JIM OF SEATTLE: Good suspense building intro and nice use of discordant notes for the change. Beautiful emotion-provoking instrumentation. Kinda makes me want to go hide my humble little song in a dark hole somewhere haha You are very talented! Song was overall very pretty and relaxing.

BIG CLUCKER: is it wrong that this song made me want to chicken dance?! All kinds of fun - had me giggling. It was kind of like a carnival gone wrong. I personally would have ended it with a quick three loud beats, but that's just me. Very nice.

J$: Nice intro but a little too long - good vocals and lyrics. A bit repetitive. Liked the underlying instrumentation dynamic.

ECKSACKSIS: Nice melody and purring sound. The "cloud...cuckoo...land"'s were very amusing. Liked the heavy sound at the end. Whole thing was maybe a little drawn out but good - wanted to sing WIPEOUT for a few seconds there!

KING ARTHUR: such a refreshingly normal sound right from the start (I mean that in a good way!). Enjoyed the lyrics and the concept. Very silly and stress free.

GRAHAM PERRY: very nice effects - maybe a little too much buzzing? I like your voice and also liked the story and going to the edge of the buildings, etc. Lyrics in general could use a little work but nice overall story and sound.

DJ: piano is of course wonderful. The whole song was very artsy and interesting. I think you should maybe write songs for musicals. Kinda took me back to really old Pink Floyd. Good job!
Yea, I lost my groove...I lost my groove all over the place - Kat Criswell
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: lalabrookie

Post by lalabrookie »

Oops, forgot to review my song and give votes:

LALA: I do need to get more volume. Will try to get closer to the mic. Not sure how to get louder w/o spending money that I don't have. Any suggestions would be welcome. I did have a homemade pop filter this time, though (thanks BBABM!). And yes, my song wasn't extremely original but I had fun with it and I will defend that to the end!

And I think all the songs were great this time, so a lot of votes, as follows: TIBOR, SCHLIMMINY, BIG CLUCKER, ECKSACKSIS, KING ARTHUR, GRAHAM PERRY, AND DJ RANGER!!! BUT GOOD JOB ALL!!!!
Yea, I lost my groove...I lost my groove all over the place - Kat Criswell
Tibor
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tibor »

lalabrookie wrote: TIBOR: This gripped me right away. I liked the echo on the words in the verses, but it maybe could have been more subtle? Piano was amazing and liked the chime things. Then the surprising but kickass guitar...yay! Your voice is also very nice. I think I may be jealous right here of your song :oops: Engaging vocal layering at the end and nice simple, sweet ending. WINNER
Dear Lala, you made my surprise for today. I wasn't even dreaming about this. Thank you.
Tibor
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Tibor »

FOLK YOU wrote: Tibor: I love this. It's hypnotic, moving, raw,& powerful. Great job.I wouldn't worry about proper English or grammar. I really feel it. I wouldn't chang a thing.
You are so kind saying this. This means a lot to me. I just got a little more self confidence from you. Thank you.
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:
BBABM wrote:i am now throwing in my vote for "who is the HATE noise now?" and saying Ecks Acksis.
Hate was a better rapper (see last week) and didn't use synths/FL studio.
I couldn't even hear the rapping last week over the music... And I actually asked HN what he used and it was in fact fruity loops, allbeit he used all custom samples, he arranged in FL.
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company

Post by Spintown »

http://spintown79.blogspot.com/2011/04/ ... -land.html

King Arthur - Well told story, cool music & a good performance. The only thing I was going to point out was you screwing up the word "reparations"...but then I read your disclaimer over your lyrics...so now I got nothing. (voted)

Graham Parry - Felt 80's...ish. Enjoyed the performance a lot, and the overall sound worked well. (voted)

lalabrookie - This felt long, and it wasn't. It's not because it's bad, it just needs filled out more. The guitar & vocals sound fine, just needs more to go with it. Lyrically I didn't like much this fight. I blame the stupid ass title, but I still didn't like yours no matter who I blame.

Big Clucker - This seemed like a rock band covering random bits of music from very old sitcoms & throwing them into a medley. I don't vote for instrumentals...but it was...interesting.

Berkeley Social Scene - This probably would have got a vote had I been able to hear the vocals better, and had they sounded better. The music for the most part was catchy, and I really like the instrumental bits. I couldn't pick up on what you tried laying in just before the 3 minute mark.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Comments, mostly first-listen observations, and then relistens a few days
later, from the old guy who is only hearing full frequency in one ear
just now, in some particular random order:. For me, a keeper/vote song is
one I'd be happy hearing come up in the rotation on my mp3 player, and
if a song doesn't cut it, I try to 'splain why...

James Owens

Interesting how this feels like it's sitting on the V chord all the
way through... not sure it works for me when your voice goes up SO
high toward the end... it actually does switch to the V key at that
point; I'd like to hear it without that key change so that the vocal
stays in your range. Liked it better on relisten, but I'd still prefer to
hear you sing it in your vocal range.

Tibor

Like the sound of that guitar near the start. Nice voice. There are a
couple spots where the grammar is a little bit off, but I get what you're
saying, mostly. Not sure the echo biz on 'state - state - state' adds
anything. Like that lead guitar when it comes in, though by about 3:10
I'm starting to hope it goes away before the song is over. Nicely put
together, keeper. (As I mentioned in my other post, I like the guitar
sound, even though it's MIDI). I mentioned some of the English issues in
an earlier post, not sure if you saw that or not.

Big Clucker

Introduction lets us know this is gonna be a musical joyride. I like it
when an instrumental has lots of variety like this, it's not just a lead
guitar wanking over the same two chords. This is well played stuff.
Keeper... did we determine that this really is an original composition? One
of the other review comments sounded like they weren't sure...

EggNogAdam

This feels to me like it got edited together and some 64-th beats got lost
somewhere, the rhythm feels uneasy. Maybe it's just the way the vocals lay
on top... I think it'd be more interesting if you didn't use all those effects
on the vocal all the way through, give us more dynamic variation to make it
more interesting.

Graham Parry

Wow, the sound of that guitar at the start. I sorta wish that the synthy
stuff had taken a break now and then, gave us a little sonic relief. By
about 2:45 this starts to feel like it's just droning on and on, so the
chage that comes around 3:05 is welcome, even if it's just a little outro.
But I'd have liked to hear some up-and-down dynamic variation throughout
the song... okay, on a second listen a few days later, I am hearing some
dynamics going on, I guess I was just disappointed that the guitar never
resurfaced.

DJ Ranger Den

Wow, the sound of that piano. I get the reason for the odd singing, but
it doesn't appeal to me... I dunno, it's like I want the piano bit to be
weirder than it is, or the voice to be less weird, I just want the two of
them to sound like they were played on the same planet at some point.
The singing style appeals to me more on a re-listen, but it still seems
like the song is lacking in hanging-togetherness a little bit. I like
it when the piano does some unusual chords around 1:15 - 1:30. Some of
Randy Newman's old stuff, before he went all Disney, he was really good
at combining a straight piano sound with a quirky voice and making it
work.

Daring Front

I just about gave up on this one before the vocal started. It got better
at that point, this is one of those songs I'd like to hear done more like a
song. Like the singing voice, very expressive. I'm generally okay with
MIDIfied drums, until they get to the point where a human could not have
played it (very fast fills, etc.), and this is one where the drums don't
do it for me.

Johnny Cashpoint

@Ranger Denni, this is the sort of instrumental track I think your song was
missing, it falls apart in a way that matches your lyric... @j$: it sounds
like you're doubling the vocal on the chorus ("are you happy?") and it seems
to me like it's just kinda muddling it rather than strengthening it. Wish
the "song" got going sooner (i.e., too much intro), and then when the real
lyric kicks in I wish there was something that grabbed me more. Around :55
it seems like the whispering and the music get a bit out of sync with each
other... I dunno, I think the thing you're going for and the music I would
want to pop up on my mp3 player are just different enough that I'm not sure
my nitpicky comments are of much use...

Jim of Seattle

Okay, forewarned that it's an instrumental but inclined to vote for it
before it starts... whaddywe got? that accordion-y sound at the start is
a little off-putting, but the other sounds are gorgeous. I kinda wish the
seashore rainstorm noise base wasn't so in my face. This is, like, a serious
Komposition of the love-it-or-hate-it variety, isn't it? I'm impressed, this
is over and above what we usually do around here. Debussy with sound effects.
Keeper and vote. Later listen, I didn't notice whatever that accordion-y
sound was, so I guess it works. Yeah, okay, I think it's strings, once I'm
envisioning a row of violinists playing it, I like it :-)

Pigfarmer Jr

Yay, finally something medium tempo, at least... I could imagine John Lennon
singing this. I get the reason for the background talking, but could happily
do without them. The lead guitar felt like it had tuning issues, not sure that
lead break contributed anything useful. This is a pretty good performance of
what seems like one of the best written songs this week. Keeper, yeah, I wish
Lennon was still around to cover this... piano and that echo-y vocal sound he
did...

FOLK YOU

Nah, I just don't need this. What is that piano thing around :29? every time
it comes in, I wish it hadn't. Sorry, I have singing standards and this one
doesn't get to them. Tempo slows down around :35.

Schlimminy Cricket

That guitar provides an interesting sound, considering how out of tune the
final strum proves it to be, sounds like something pulled off the soundtrack
of an old, old movie... not sure if the doubled soft-sung vocal works with it.
I want to like this but it's just not grabbing me. Intro could be shorter,
"song" could be longer and more developed.

Ecks Acksis

Another lovely, if slow, piano intro... aww, the synthy buisiness at :15 is just
disappointing after that. You guys could cover # admirably. Am I hearing
"wipeout!..." ??? I do kinda like the sitar-ish sound, but it seems like the intro
sets us up for one thing, then the next 20 seconds or so set us up for something
else, then the vocal comes in and it's neither of those things any more.

lalabrookie

okay, wanting the guitar to be more in tuned up, but maybe good things will
come of it... not sure the guitar bouncing around the soundstage works for
me. mellotron feels about a quarter tone south of the guitar, tune-wise, and
seems like it gets about a quarter note behind in rhythm, as well. I'd be
interested in hearing this mixed with the lead vocal a little out to one side
and then the guitar and backing vocal to the other side, not hard panned, just
enough to sound like a live Indigo Girls one-fuitar duet kinda thing. Yeah,
the mellotron needs to do something more interesting if it's going to stand
out in the mix that much. For what it's playing, tune the guitar to it, mix
the m. low with lots of reverb so it sorta spreads out.

Berkeley Social Scene

This wasn't up yet when I did my first listens. Mix seems kinda midrange-y,
needs to fill up the sound spectrum more. There's enough sound going on that
the mix could be split out wider, between the EQ and the relative mono-ism, it
feels like a big song that's been packed in a small box for shipping. Vocals
getting lost between the guitars, spreading the guitars a bit more would leave
a nice little valley for the vocs to snuggle down in. Based on the band name
and knowing that Ken is one of the principals, I always expect you guys to have
stellar performance and production stuff, but it never quite seems to get there.
It's like... it's better than most of the other songs this week and I'll give
it a "keeper and vote," but for some reason I expect you to be the west coast
answer to Gert or something...

Votes: Tibor, Big Clucker, Jim of Seattle, Pigfarmer Jr., and BSS.
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

king_arthur wrote:Jim of Seattle

Okay, forewarned that it's an instrumental but inclined to vote for it
before it starts... whaddywe got? that accordion-y sound at the start is
a little off-putting, but the other sounds are gorgeous. I kinda wish the
seashore rainstorm noise base wasn't so in my face. This is, like, a serious
Komposition of the love-it-or-hate-it variety, isn't it? I'm impressed, this
is over and above what we usually do around here. Debussy with sound effects.
Keeper and vote. Later listen, I didn't notice whatever that accordion-y
sound was, so I guess it works. Yeah, okay, I think it's strings, once I'm
envisioning a row of violinists playing it, I like it :-)
Hey, thanks. Funny you heard an accordion. It's a chord played on a solo violin patch, supposed to sound like a string quartet. I can totally hear an accordion now though. Inclined to vote for it before it starts? Weird. I really had no idea I had any sort of reputation. But I come back and people are all "Hey you're back" and stuff. I think I underestimate a lot of things about myself, and being in this fight, even with the mostly tepid response to the entry, has certainly been eye-opening in that way.