Army Men + Magnifying Glass = (Toy Puddle reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
tonetripper
Mixtral
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

So your drum track is in mono? Wow, you get pretty good tone with that MXL if that's all that you got happening. Dude, I can't tell you how much this mic (I have a version up from this that I bought for use in field recording for documentary work) Audio Technica XY, made a huge difference in recording drums at my place.

Straight up XY stereo pair and pointed straight down on your kit, kind of about 2ft to 3ft over where your kick drum pedal hits. This is just a guide distance ofcourse. Awesome seperation when the two channels are ganged correctly and you can hear the toms pushing into the stereo field. I highly reccommend anyone doing this type of recording and wants to get fairly decent results, pop a few bucks into one of these for drum recording. The last two submmissions by Draft were done with a similar mic to this one. I got the one that can operate with or without a battery using just phantom, but also perfect for use with a laptop to give that stereo field a little more energy instead of trying to manifest stereo through a plug-in or what have you. I also have used it on my acoustic and have gotten good results. Just a little FYI. I think my complaints about the SoS submissions might have been due to your mono recording technique, which has good sereration considering your micing techniques. I guess it also helps to tune the kit well huh? :wink: .

Also, that stereo mic would help in your live venture with the bleed. It would push that bleeding instrument into the configuration of the XY overhead and allow you to push that bleeding instrument into weird places according to where you want it to live. Make it pseudo stereo if you will.
blue
Grok

Post by blue »

panned toms are for rush fans.
Leaf
DALL-E
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

blue wrote:panned toms are for rush fans.

YEAH!!!!

uh.. I mean.. right on dude. Solos suck.

I'm not a fan, but I love panned toms... they sound so .... hot.
Ross
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Reviews

Post by Ross »

Sonofsupercar – I like the tune with the all the chord extensions in the guitar. The words are pretty interesting, but I’m not sure if I follow all of them the first time around. I may have to revisit this. I like the instrumental stuff but was just a tiny bit surprised when no vocals returned.

Steve Durand
– Nice change on the back half of the verse, when the bass line changes. Considering how static the main part of the verse is I found it quite engaging – probably a combo of the groove and the words. I think you made a good choice to not interrupt the narrative with a chorus, I felt like the end was abrupt. Good song. Solid. Concise. Good take on the title, too.

Electrocushin
– Cool Dr. Suess take, the music reminds me a lot of this record of “Fox in Sox” I had when I was a kid – Oh, no I guess it really is a commercial. I like the Jingle take. Great ending with the disclaimers. Very funny gag. “Slippery when wet.” Ok, the ending may go on just a tiny bit too long.

Farmenther Round Table – I like this fine. For the idea I think the words are worked through pretty well, especially the change of theme for each verse, but the move the narrative pretty well. I like it better the longer it goes. The last verse is very clever. Well crafted song – it really grew on me.

Boss McGravity – Not sure what to say – you nail this. I‘ve always envied those who can write from a kid perspective like you do here. The tune/feel are perfect for the theme. Makes me wish I was racing walnut-shell boats down the gutter on a rainy day right now.

Amysue – Ok, this didn’t do much for me and I’m not sure I can elucidate why.

Strong Fight!!
tonetripper
Mixtral
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

blue wrote:panned toms are for rush fans.
.... and don't forget: people who like to hear better than average production....... [/burn]
blue
Grok

Post by blue »

yeah sure, because it's HARD to pan things so it sounds like you're listening to a song from someone's bass drum. especially compared to the total ease of capturing the feel and vibe of a performance. definately, panning toms equals awesomeness.
Meathands
A New Player

Post by Meathands »

Hello, I'm glad to be joining the songfight! community. Here are some comments:

Amysue:
Some nice textures in the electronics and your voice is a real asset, but it sounds like you're not sure where the melody is going.

Electocushin:
This song plays in hell, in a good way. On the first time I laughed, on the second listen the songs creepy underbelly began to show itself. Quite an achievement!

SonofSupercar:
The verse is great, a cool voice too. "What kind of glue did they use to put you together?" has a nice ring to it. I even liked the chorus-- it feels like the toy puddle has congealed into mud. I didn't appreciate the Modest Mouse-esque breakdown at the end though.

Steve Durand:
The main riff is cool, and I actually dig the voice but nothing in the melody invites my imagination to grip on and have fun with the song.

Boss McGravity:
Wow, nice progression. "Astronaut patch on the jeans, superhero shoes" grabs me right away. I think the harmonies on the chorus are too much, maybe turn them wayyyy down. But the best part is the pre-chorus melody that starts with "bow and arrow"...breathtaking. It sounds like a melody our parents might have kissed to, coming in fuzzy from their parents car stereo.