Bill of Wrongs (Ten Lies reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Martyr,

You've been around too long to be hurt by bad reviews. You're my band-mate, my friend, and a wildly talented musician, but this track is a mess.

The riffs you played me on your acoustic during your writing process were pretty damn cool, but this recording is not at all representitive.

The drums are a mess, there's not a pulse to grab on to. The reverb is out of control. I can't hear the coolness that I happen to know was originally in there. We should work it out with Zipline (If I ever get off musical restriction).

Seriously Martin, there's nothing to be hurt about, you should objectively know this recording is hard to listen to.

c'mon we've certainly had our share of bad reviews, and we deserved them all, but they make us better.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Re: bummer

Post by melvin »

martyr wrote:The sub-failing grade does hurt though.
Okay, I'm not great at math, but I'm going to attempt to recalculate your grade. Your song is 268 seconds long. The first 128 seconds scored an 8, but the last 140 seconds scored a 3. I think that gives you a weighted average just a little shy of 5.5/10. That's a pass!
hi!
NatchDan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by NatchDan »

Martyr;

A lot of people in this thread have referred to my song as too earnest or too serious to warrant any other comment than just that, and this is my first time songfighting. Personally, I thought it was pretty good, just like I thought yours was pretty good, but mine was very melancholy and yours was very badly recorded.

A few reviewers have given more meaty reviews to both of us; you concentrate on them whilst taking on board the fact that the recording was bad, and I'll concentrate on my more meaty reviews whilst taking on board the fact that I have to write something punchier this week.

Chin up!
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

So some of these I've already listened to, and for some this will be the first time.

Billy's Little Trip - Initially, I keep expecting Dave Matthews to come in on this one. I like the sound of the bass, for some reason. Though I do think that overall this track could've benefitted from bringing out those lows just a BIT. I love the background ooooos. Though I might have brought them forward a little more and taken of the reverb. Mostly the mix is pretty great though. I really like the chorus on this one man. Also that solo is fantastic. There is a lot to like in this one, even if I would've done the mix a little. I'm so glad this didn't turn into a Dave Matthews song. This is a possible vote.

Country Blumpkins - First off, I have to say having the drums sound like they were recorded under water is kind of crappy. With a better mix, I think this could've been a really cool song, however. I like the tone that I think you were trying to set. It sounds sort of creepy. Like you're singing this to someone from a bush in the dark, and she doesn't know. And maybe your jerking it. That's sort of what the bass drum sounds like anyway. Overall, however, the song doesn't really change enough for me to listen to all the way through.

Finding Nemoy, et al. - This sounds like a Dashboard Confessional song. It's a shame that I hate that dude. I reckon this sounds good for what it is. I don't have a particular problem with the mix. I do have to give you points for not using the words "ten lies" exactly like that in the song, however, I'm not sure Ten Lies would be an appropriate title for it.

Jack Shite - The intro of this makes me feel good. It reminds me of music I used to listen to. The vocals I'm not so hot for, unfortunately. I think maybe they're a bit loud in the mix, too. This strikes me as something you would hear in a hole in the wall bar that doesn't pay the bands to play. It's something I think I'd like a lot more live. A better mix would be pretty awesome, I think. The song needs to have some sort of awesome bridge, where everything gets bigger.

King Arthur - Your voice has always reminded me a little of Eric Clapton. The mix here is pretty solid, but I just don't think I like the song that much. I think you need a quartet of female backup singers in low-cut dresses. It's too bad you can't really send that through the internet. The song also needs more instruments I think. Like, a horn section.

Klownhole - Hey, it's some Klownhole. It sounds like you guys recorded this by holding a mic up to the wall in the next room. So, basically it just sounds like punk music. I want to see you guys play live. I also want to see you make some insane, balls out punk music. I've liked your other songs more, but I think I'd play Tony Hawk to this.

Lymph - This mix is kind of awful. Everything is interfering, and it all sounds like it's just blending together. It sounds over-compressed, maybe? I don't know, I'm not very good at mastering, nor at knowing exactly what would do what, but this is definitely all muddy. I hate giving a song a bad review for poor production, but in this case I'm having a hard time listening to it.

MC Eric B - I really think your songs need humor, and I also think that in many cases you try to fit way too many words in one line, and then your next line seems to have too few. I like the idea of this song, and the chorus is decent. But yeah, just work on the flow a lot more. You're a trooper for continuing to enter Songfight when you're getting bad reviews each week, but this is certainly showing improvement.

Melvin - Man when you do your Weezer style vocs, it always makes me smile. The drums in this are pretty dang muffled, but I like this song. I'd love to hear a better mix for this. In some parts this actually reminds me of Deshead's stuff.

Monte Carlo - Wow, this mix. This is really hard to listen to. I had a non-review here before, but I just saw that you were wanting more meat to your reviews. Mainly because I know where you're coming from. I know what it's like to have people dismiss a song outright due to bad production. Basically, I like the composition of the song, I think, but I don't really like the vocals all that much. Actually I don't at all. It sounds like you worked pretty hard doing the performing for the recording, but then you just didn't get a chance to do anything to it afterward. Unfortunately, that makes it really hard to listen for what's good, and listeners never actually want to have to try to hear the good stuff.

Natch Dan - So I hear you also made a Heartfelt Ballad of Yearning and Woe. Too much reverb, I think. I like the organ. It is a little loud though, it seems. I like the chorus in this song. Are there ten lies here? I'm not counting.

Odoriferous Valley - The intro is cool in this. Wait, who's singing this in the beginning? It sounds familiar. Heh, the lies are entertaining. This song may topple Billy's Little Trip for my vote. But I'm not sure. I'll have to go back and listen to it.

Pig Pen - Back up off that mic man! Is it a lie that you smoke too much dope? One of you sounds like me when I'm talking. That's weird. I think this song's okay.

Primitive Screwheads - oh man those ARE some pretty awesome hand farts. Did you record this in the garage? I like the way it came out sounding. And that thing with the "I came-ame-me-e" bit is awesome. Yeah damn this is pretty cool.

Project D - This is one of those that grows on you. Probably won't vote for it, but I really like parts of it a lot. I think I like it because you sound like the cross-dressing, lazy-eyed, gay, permanently-bitter-beer-faced waiter that used to give me free coffee at Denny's. Well, and I like the harmonies. I wish the mix was louder.

Ross Durand - Whoa Pink Floyd? Hee hee, I love this. Oh man this is great. Ross you might have my vote. If this keeps being awesome, that is. This one is a possible vote.

Signboy - The vocals are pretty good in this, though maybe a little breathy in the beginning. It sounds like a contemporary Christian song. I do like your voice though. The drums are kind of weird, for some reason. In some parts this actually also sounds like old grunge melodies in the vocs. There are just strong and weak parts in this song, all over the place. It's okay.

Steve Durand - I love that you guys enter all the time. And I will forever love your horns, Steve. I dream about them at night. I like the bass line too. The vocals, as usual, are weak, but you know that, and you more than make up for it with your amazing instrumental abilities.

Those Meddling Kids - Dashboard Confessional is here again? The production is good on this, but I just don't like the style at all.

Wages feat. Project D - The vocals need to be scaled way back. Everything is too quiet in this. The song's alright, but yeah that mix hurts it a lot. Also I think the vocs might be a little too desperate for the music.

Wes Davis - So there I am. I decided to make a cheesy love song for this week's songfight, and I realize it's pretty generic, but I had fun making the song. The mix sounds a little weird to me, and I think it's because, unbeknownst to me, my sound output had been panned a little one way, and so I was mixing it with that in mind.

That's all! I'm going to listen to the ones I liked again, to make sure I put my vote in the right place, but I might well vote for Ross's. Other contenders for me are Billy's Little Trip, Project D, Primitive Screwheads, Melvin, and Odoriferous Valley.
Am I rockin' hard, or hardly rockin'?
ruin8r
A New Player

Re: 10 Lies

Post by ruin8r »

Meatwad wrote:
Pierre Menand wrote:
Klownhole
What is this exactly -- Death Metal, Dark Metal, Black Metal? The Rumsfeld sample is quite appreciated, though those words are some of the most quoted and trusted to ever come out of that failed leader. There is nothing more true than "There are unknown unknowns"!
None of the above. Pure unadulterated punk rock. Except for the complexity of the lyrics, this is a Discharge song.
I've been surprised that no one commented on the obvious homage to Discharge. Even the mix is a tribute. Though, there are way too many words to be a proper Discharge song.
I'd be surprised if anyone on Songfight outside of Klownhole has even heard of Discharge.
martyr
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: bass, vox, mix, guitar
Recording Method: m-audio 1814, logic; motu traveler, magix
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Zipline, Zinkline, Monte Carlo, Older Brothers

Re: bummer

Post by martyr »

Thanks guys -- one great thing about songfight is that people *do* listen, and *do* give constructive feedback. It's a pretty cozy environment for growth.
melvin wrote:I think that gives you a weighted average just a little shy of 5.5/10. That's a pass!
Ah shucks, thanks. It feels like cheating though! Hopefully this m-audio 1814 unit will help with isolation and make for easier-on-the-ears future entries.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
m++
Project-D
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Project-D »

I found it hard to write these reviews, nothing really was bad, but none of them really grabbed me by the ear and wouldn't let go. My own song included.

Billy's Little Trip - not bad, it's got a groove I like. The drunk chick wearing the Harley shirt that's always a little more buzzed then everyone else in the bar would get up and dance to this. You know the dance, eyes closed, with hands over head, cig in one hand, beer in the other. Anyone who's played in a bar knows the girl I'm talking about.

Country Blumpkins - I can see the Billy Corrigan vibe someone else mentioned I did like the vocals, it kind of plugs along at the same level, and I didn't really get hooked.

Finding Nemoy - I like your vocals and guitar parts, this song could benefit from having a more fleshed out ensemble.

Jack Shite - The drum sound caught my ear on this one right off the bat. Nice and easy laid back groove, doesn't really have a big build up or catchy chorus, but I wanted to listen all the way through. It works.

King Arthur - Good production evident off the bat, you sing well too. Nice stereo spread, acoustic in my left ear, electric on my right. The song is solid but again it didn't hook me.

Klown Hole - I wanted to hear the vocals louder, the bludgeoning guitar got to me after awhile, I know that's the style, but still.

lymph - I like this, the double vocals do it for me, and the lyrics are interesting. I would've liked a walking bass line, that would've really made it. And it should've been a bassier bass.

MC Eric B - The beats are ok, they lyrics are moderately amusing. I think I'm seeing what I don't really like about the rhythm of your vocals. They're better than last week but the rhythm is basically the same, the accent is always on the last beat no matter how many words you have to jam in to get there. Duh da, duh da du DA, Duh da duh da duh DA, du dah duh da duh da duh da duh da duh da duh DAAAA. Think of the rhythm to "Hickory Dickory Dock" . Practice extending your phrase s.

Melvin - It needs a little more something, I like country so that doesn't put me off. Not sure what it's lacking.

Monte Carlo - Not sure if it's intentionally lo-fi, the song is good, like the airy vocals, at the beginning, but the drums have no dynamic, and there's a distortion to the guitar that shouldn't be there. It needs re-recording.

Natchdan - Like the vocals. Reminds me of an early eighties band, like the Smithereens or The Church. Just needs some extra instruments. After a second listen, I think the organ should be a fat analog synth to go along with the 80's vibe.

Odiferous Valley - The intro could be shorter, maybe from where the second guitar comes in. Good fade out, One of my faves so far, but that could change down the list.

Pigpen - Take the tempo up and add a banjo, and this could be my favorite. I'd like a little more range in the vocals, it's kind of a 5 note melody.

Primitive Screwheads - If it were only 2 minutes long it would be perfect.

Ross Durand - Bass needs to be tightened up a little, it's a bit muffled, it could be more punchy. I think a rock organ type of sound would be more appropriate here instead of the synth.

Signboy - Probably the most "radio type" song I've heard so far. Well played and sung.

Steve Durand - starting out with bass and horns gets my attention, it really needs a screamer of a trumpet player, but I did the whole horn part. I think it's a good song, well played, but if Tower of Power played it, it would kick even more ass.

Those Meddling Kids - Interesting stereo stuff going on in places in the vocals. I like the kind of tinny drums and little synth blips.

Wes Davis - Good singer, good guitar work. Just needs a band.
Working hard to suck less.
Project-D
Be my friend.
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Re: 10 Lies

Post by Meatwad »

ruin8r wrote:
Meatwad wrote:
Pierre Menand wrote: None of the above. Pure unadulterated punk rock. Except for the complexity of the lyrics, this is a Discharge song.
I've been surprised that no one commented on the obvious homage to Discharge. Even the mix is a tribute. Though, there are way too many words to be a proper Discharge song.
I'd be surprised if anyone on Songfight outside of Klownhole has even heard of Discharge.
Fucking ruiner.
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

Project-D wrote: Klown Hole - I wanted to hear the vocals louder, the bludgeoning guitar got to me after awhile, I know that's the style, but still.
I think you are right. The guitars should have gotten progressively louder and denser as the song progressed. Instead of staying the same density all the way through. That would have lended some much needed dynamics.
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

WesDavis wrote:
Signboy - ... The drums are kind of weird, for some reason.
Ha ha... yes, the drums are kind of weird... for some "Reason".
I'm not sure if you made that joke intentionally or not, but it's funny all the same. The song is in 3/4, and I haven't written many songs in 3, so I was at a bit of a loss as to what to do. It probably doesn't help that I don't play drums at all. I was trying to thicken the chorus a bit by having the hi hats get busy, but all it did was sound messy. Lesson learned.
Thanks for an honest review, though.
I'm in this to get better, and reviews are a great tool for that.
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

signboy wrote:
WesDavis wrote:
Signboy - ... The drums are kind of weird, for some reason.
Ha ha... yes, the drums are kind of weird... for some "Reason".
I'm not sure if you made that joke intentionally or not, but it's funny all the same. The song is in 3/4, and I haven't written many songs in 3, so I was at a bit of a loss as to what to do. It probably doesn't help that I don't play drums at all. I was trying to thicken the chorus a bit by having the hi hats get busy, but all it did was sound messy. Lesson learned.
Thanks for an honest review, though.
I'm in this to get better, and reviews are a great tool for that.
Haha, Reason indeed. I didn't make that joke on purpose. Or did I?

No, I didn't. I miss Reason. But yeah, it's hard to make beats in reason if you don't know the first thing about drums. I made a beat for my King Me entry in Garageband, and it came out pretty crappy.
chris
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by chris »

a few reviews.

billys little trip- the chorus is sweet, even if you do sound drunk. its a really cool song. you guys are a great band.

Mc Eric B- this was my favorite and I voted for it. this song is pretty much awesome.

wes davis- i like it. kinda long. whatever.

thats all i got.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Project-D wrote:
Steve Durand it really needs a screamer of a trumpet player, ... I think it's a good song, well played, but if Tower of Power played it, it would kick even more ass.

[
I'll have to do my Maynard Ferguson impression for you one of these weeks.

I spent a whole two hours writing and recording the horn parts and you don't think I'm as good as Tower of Power????? :shock:

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

chris wrote:a few reviews.

billys little trip- the chorus is sweet, even if you do sound drunk. its a really cool song. you guys are a great band.

Mc Eric B- this was my favorite and I voted for it. this song is pretty much awesome.

thats all i got.
wow a random noob choosing to announce voting for a sf rap in the middle of an obviously lame hearted review...like strange, i bet you dont even know Mc eric B outside of songfight.
well thanks for the fake review
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
Project-D
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Project-D »

I'll have to do my Maynard Ferguson impression for you one of these weeks.
I'd rather hear another sweet solo like you did in Gray Rainbow.

I got to meet Maynard when I was in college, I was helping do some stage setup for a local high school that put on a benefit concert every year. Maynard needed to be picked up from the airport, so we let the only trumpet player among us go get him. As you can imagine he almost wet his pants with excitement, and couldn't stop talking about it for a month. He had a crappy car too. Not what Maynard was used to, apparently.
Working hard to suck less.
Project-D
Be my friend.
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:

thats all i got.
wow a random noob choosing to announce voting for a sf rap in the middle of an obviously lame hearted review...like strange, i bet you dont even know Mc eric B outside of songfight.

Calling people noobs on forums is so 2004. Although I'd say that is a pretty lame review. There were far better songs than MC Eric B's.
MC Eric B
Push Comes to Shove

reviews

Post by MC Eric B »

I am pretty sure I don't know Chris but I appreciate his review.
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

thats all i got.
I kind of liked his review. Let's here it for Chris! *golf clap*

...great name too. :mrgreen:
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove

:wink:
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

thats all i got.
So I checked this guy out in his profile and clicked on the "view all posts" thing. He wrote reviews for one other fight where he comments that he has dial-up so only listened to a few songs. In that fight he claimed to have voted for BLT.
Last edited by Ross on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove

rdurand wrote:

thats all i got.
So I checked this guy out in his profile and clicked on teh view all posts thing. He wrote reviews for one other fight where he comments that he has dial-up so only listened to a few songs. In that fight he claimed to have voted for BLT.
okay i guess i was out of line, i have been doing that a lot lately.
sorry chris. no hard feelings? :D
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

Was that really you Friz? I thought maybe I had a secret admirer. :P