200 Greatest Songs of All Time

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

'Wish You Were Here' is quite enjoyable, if I was pushed to name one PF album that didn't want me to go back in time and prevent the creation of the music industry just so I wouldn't have to endure them. the rest is turgid - dunderheads attempting to be profound. Really quite horrible. It's the pomposity, indlugence and all-round ugliness of the band, inside and out, I can't stand.

You know what not to get me for christmas then!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

wow, ya'll are really missing out.

Your loss
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I'm with you, Hoblit. While I understand differences in taste, I'm sort of surprised that so many people react so negatively to PF. It's like, they completely miss the whole PF vibe. That said, I can't stand "The Wall".
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I like the Scissor Sisters' Comfortably Numb
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Dark Side of the Moon == best album ever*. Done in '69, and still contemporary with modern electronic music.

The Wall got too whiny, IMO.

*Joni Mitchell's "Blue" is also the best album ever. Modest Mouse's "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" isthe 2nd best album ever.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Hack, I borrowed a copy of "Building nothing out of something"....apt title.

I find Modest Mouse boringly basic and uninspired. I was expecting something ...well...else, jsut based on your ravings.... oh well!!
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

Jim of Seattle wrote:I'm with you, Hoblit. While I understand differences in taste, I'm sort of surprised that so many people react so negatively to PF. It's like, they completely miss the whole PF vibe. That said, I can't stand "The Wall".
Gilmore said the main problem with The Wall was that the band didn't take the songs on tour before recording them. He said if they had, it would have turned out a lot less self indulgent.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

the main problem with the wall (and the final cut) is, it was basically a roger waters solo album with the rest of the band playing on it. this was the first time when the whole band didn't write songs together (gilmour got like, partial credit for "comfortably numb"; i think waters wrote everything else), and the first time they used an outside producer (besides the singles they put out at the very beginning). this band did some amazing stuff up until this point, but they had kind of reached a breaking point by the time they started working on the wall.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Jim of Seattle wrote:I'm sort of surprised that so many people react so negatively to PF. It's like, they completely miss the whole PF vibe.
I completely understand the vibe.

I just do not like the vibe.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Actually, what's up with all these 12 year olds wearing Zeppelin and PF t-shirts? It just makes no sense. They weren't even made back then, so how can half the kids in the school suddenly be into them.

Silly fads.
Songfighter since back in the day.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

It's the cycle. No one thought Disco clothing was EVER going to come back in style, yet it did in the 90s. Seems to happen that way.

Incidentally, I caught some debate about Pink Floyd and all I have to say is Syd Barrett. The man was an inspiration to many artists who came down the pipe of modern pop music. "I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like......" Genius!!!! Pink Floyd were uber cool pre Dark Side, although Dark Side is an awesome, AWESOME record (So is Wish You Were Here/UmmaGumma - and how about the awesome ditty "A bunch of small furry animals gathered together groovin with a pict?). I say if the kids are wearing these shirts, all the power to the bands that made them happen. Atleast it's better taste than Michael Jackson jackets and Wham shirts with neon (I got given an MJ jacket when I was a kid)...... hides in corner with sweat and redness hitting face

Incidentally, favourite records of all time. Tough to say really, but The White Album for sure (then again any Beatles record). The Wall unequivocably for the reasons that are obvious with art vs modern rock band, pushing the parameters of performance of rock bands in general (once again most of them). Frampton comes alive - may be the greatest live album ever made. Miles Smiles/Kind of Blue. The Cure - Head on the Door. Simon and Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water. The Clash London Calling. Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks. The best of Muddy Waters. U2 Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree (both great). Radiohead Ok Computer. Portishead the first one. Prince Purple Rain (Darling Nikki personal fave). Tom Waits any of them but namely Closing Time. Fleetwood Mac Rumours. Jimi Hendrix Axis Bold as Love/Are You Experienced?. The Beach Boys Pet Sounds. Lynard Skynard Skynard's Innards. Phil Collins Face Value (amazing record all the way through before he got all pop mushy). Nirvana Nevermind. Chet Baker Sings. Led Zeppelin II (they pretty much all rule). Black Sabbath self titled. Rush Moving Pictures. Who's Next the Who. Blue Joni Mitchell. The Doors most of them but the Doors/Greatest Hits. The Band The Band. Legend Bob Marley and the Wailers. Back in Black AC DC. Moondance Van Morrison. Van Morrison and the Chieftains (there are a few). Slint Spiderland. Talking Book Stevie Wonder (One of my personal faves). Highway 61 Revisited Bob Dylan. Ali Farke Toure with Ry Cooder the first one. Medeski Martin and Wood their latest (unbelievable record)

This is all I can think of for now but I was fed a steady diet of rock 'n' roll all my life, so I must be forgiven for my choices. Q107 Psychadelic Sundays are still something I listen to regularly.
Last edited by tonetripper on Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx

Post by tonetripper »

Caravan Ray wrote:I came out of that deal miles ahead.
Miles ahead of what?? They were two different schools of bands. And I don't care what any of you yahoos think about Pink Floyd, but any band that has a part in taking down the Berlin Wall has got to be good in my books. Let alone the simple fact, as Hoblit pointed out, they were GREAT and Dave Gilmour is, perhaps, one of the greatest solo players EVER. Don't be dissin the Floyd and fo sho don't be trying to take down Floyd with the Zep, cuz in my world the mood is different for both. Take that in your pipe and smoke it. *cough* Here.

: )
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

tonetripper wrote: ...any band that has a part in taking down the Berlin Wall has got to be good in my books.
: )
Does that mean that they've given up music and got jobs as demolition contractors?

I hope so.

Pretentious gits.

...Caravan Ray thumbs his nose with gusto - safe in the knowledge he is 10 000 miles away from any reprisals...
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

tonetripper wrote:I don't care what any of you yahoos think about Pink Floyd

So why you are telling us that we are wrong and that they are in fact good?

The main problem with The Wall is it's not very good.

Leaf, don't be lumping me in with the Modest Mouse ravers. i have been regularly badmouthing them on this very web-based discussion forum board.

j$
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

j$ i'm surprised that you, of all people, would quote something out of context. you left out the end of that sentence:
tonetripper wrote:I don't care what any of you yahoos think about Pink Floyd, but ....... good in my books.
it almost sounds like he's saying "go ahead and feel however you feel about the subject, but this is MY opinion." although i'm probably wrong because that seems like a very un-tonetripper thing to say :D
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

I don't think I am quoting out of context. I read this sentence as two seperate idea phrases linked together by grammar only.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

*shrug*
tviyh wrote:it almost sounds like he's saying ........ although i'm probably wrong .......
:mrgreen:
tonetripper
Mean Street

Post by tonetripper »

j$ wrote:The main problem with The Wall is it's not very good.
I'm surprised by this last statement. Are you saying that "Goodbye Blue Sky" is not a memorable, nor a good, song? You baffle me J$. It is an awesomely produced, well written, beautifully recorded record. I (IMO) feel as though it had insight into many emotions, contained great musicianship with the proper juxtaposition of lyrics mixed in. With execution that only Pink Floyd could do. British groups that seem to be popular in the last couple of decades borrowed from early Floyd and adopted the style as their own. Amazed. British and dissing a homeland historical group. What is the world coming to?!

And Caravan, demolition experts they may be, considering that in their past the band was comprised of architect students. Just a little trivia for all you ignorant PF naysayers. :?

And where would Sid Vicious had gotten his name if not for Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd. Especially the hair style. A whole barrage of bands may never have existed without the likes of PF. I think anyone not in the know of early Floyd had better educate themselves IMO. They were monumental to various movements in the marrying of music and art. Atleast in the idea of contemporary Rock N Roll.

These are just, ofcourse, my humble opinions.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

tonetripper wrote: Are you saying that "Goodbye Blue Sky" is not a memorable, nor a good, song?
Yes.
tt wrote: You baffle me J$.
Good.
tt wrote: British and dissing a homeland historical group. What is the world coming to?!
I am a citizen of the world.
tt wrote:And where would Sid Vicious had gotten his name if not for Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd. Especially the hair style. A whole barrage of bands may never have existed without the likes of PF.
Interesting point from the angle that hating something validates it. However, Sid Vicious was an idiot. A cartoon caricature of a punk who single-handedly destroyed a lot of what it had achieved. And also took his name from John Lydon's pet hamster, not Syd Barrett.

J$
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

j$ wrote:Leaf, don't be lumping me in with the Modest Mouse ravers. i have been regularly badmouthing them on this very web-based discussion forum board.

j$

???? I was responding to Mr. Hack's ravings!!! Where did I lump you in?

...huh? wha? gumma gumma?
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Leaf wrote:
j$ wrote:Leaf, don't be lumping me in with the Modest Mouse ravers. i have been regularly badmouthing them on this very web-based discussion forum board.

j$

???? I was responding to Mr. Hack's ravings!!! Where did I lump you in?

...huh? wha? gumma gumma?
Ah, apologies. My bad. Mis-read Hack as Ack (as in throat-grasping reaction of disgust).
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Leaf wrote:Hack, I borrowed a copy of "Building nothing out of something"....apt title.
Their older ones can get boring, yes. "The Moon and Antartica" is pretty good, but I think "Good News..." is by far the best.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>