Live Lirpa Sweiver (Evil April Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Re: midi

Post by Ross »

MC Eric B wrote:I have a Casio keyboard and a hip-hop drum/beat machine. I don't use MIDI. Sometimes I create the beat 100% on the drum machine (like for King Me and Ten Lies), and sometimes I first record something on the Casio and then later add sounds from the drum machine to make it more hip-hop (or less Casio sounding), like I did with Evil April.
rdurand wrote:Eric B - So you got your midi hooked up or what? Makes a big difference.
Just saying, it doesn't sound like your beat is a microphone held up to a casio speaker this weak. I agree that your song is much improved this week

Full reviews to come after I finish my Nur Ein! entry for this week.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
doorite
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by doorite »

HEYYYYYY everybody...... i finally got a way to hear urbanMAIL's song.
Go to http://www.myspace.com/urbanMAIL and you can hear it, i know i know, but its all i could do. :D
art is what you can get away with - Andy Warhol
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

doorite wrote:HEYYYYYY everybody...... i finally got a way to hear urbanMAIL's song.
Go to http://www.myspace.com/urbanMAIL and you can hear it, i know i know, but its all i could do. :D
and with that, I have a source. I have downloaded the song and uploaded it to the fight. Interesting that URBANmail has five friends. One is Tom and three are doorite. :)

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
MC Eric B
Push Comes to Shove

URBANmail review

Post by MC Eric B »

URBANmail - I didn't like the song the first time I heard it, but I listend again 2 more times with the volume much higher and the song grew on me. I like how different people take turns singing, since that keeps it interesting, but the vocals were too faint to understand much of the time. The melody of the song is actually catchy, but the faint vocals make it have much less of an impact.
jackfrost
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jackfrost »

Spud wrote:
doorite wrote:HEYYYYYY everybody...... i finally got a way to hear urbanMAIL's song.
and with that, I have a source. I have downloaded the song and uploaded it to the fight. Interesting that URBANmail has five friends. One is Tom and three are doorite. :)

SPUD
it's also interesing that each of the three doorite accounts have the other two as the top two friends.

also, is there any proof that this song was finished before the deadline? anyone can send an email with a bad attachment to stall for time. then four days later post the song on a different site and put a link on the message board. does this still count for anything in relation to song fight? and weren't there technical issues with their file for the previous fight? how hard it is to attach a file to an email and hit send? there are many baffling issues at work here.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Ross Durand- Well You're 1st in my random order play list. I love this song. This is a great opener. Wonderful dynamics. Great solo section. Your voice sounds particularly good. Contender for the vote.

Ham No Burger- Drum machine leaves some to be desired. Nice vocals and vocal harmonies. Song is pretty normal. Not a bad solo. This is enjoyable enough. I'd love to hear BLT produce this. Fade out? Ick. Not bad , Not special.

UrbanMail- not into it.

Destruction Enterprise- Stereo effect is annoying, Rap is horrible. Not in to it.

Antisoc- You're killing me. This is terrible. Awful rap. Absolutely nothing to say. I guess i like this backing track better than the last 3. Lyrics are the worst I've heard in a while.

Hostess Mostess- I'm digging it. To nit pick, I want the piano louder. Great change! Wow, I really like this. There's the loud piano. Great singing per usual for you guys, but better than usual. Great job. Contender, definite keeper.

Renwick- Not bad, the intro is best part for me. Good singing. Melody could be stronger. Solo section is very cool. I dig the keys sound. Cool Song.

MC Eric B- not in to it. Lyrics are bad. I like the riff.

The Weakest Suit- Needs drums. Catchy little Ditty! You need to PM around for a drummer to finish this off (if you used a click track). Timing sounds good to me, but I'm not a metronome. Great chorus, nice and catchy! Not sure what it means, but I'm not very smart. Good song!

Jolly Roger- I'm hearing the Dream Theater. This is cool! Riff is silly, enjoyable. Parts of the vocal melody sound like they're not worked out. Production is very lo-fi, but this is a very fun listen.

The Hell Yeahs- Ummmm.... Hell Yeah!!! I think you'll always be a contender when you enter. The band is rocking above and beyond usual! Vocals are solid as usual. Yeah I love this. Great tune!

BiHarmonic Plus- Loud boring drum machine, reluctant mumbly vocals, muddy guitars. Not into this. Can't hear the vocals, when I do I can't pick out the words.

Melvin- Ummmmmm....Hell Yeah, I mean Melvin! This freaking rocks! Great production. i love the octave high vocals. Nice change. Usually I don't like songs with a Dinosaur feet pulse, but this really works. Oh yeah ! the Ending "oh's" are fantastic! Contender, new leader for me.

Annonymous- Funky groove, megaphone vox. Glad that was temporary. This is great! nice vocals. I'd guess this is the Black street Bumpkins. Backing vocals are wonderful. Wow another gem! I wish you didn't say "this song is not yet over" I cringe. I'm down with the balls and anus talk, but i don't think it's funny. At least it's not self referential. Yeah 1st 2 minutes are great the last 3 are tedious and not funny, but sounded like fun.

DB Collective- Nice singing, dumb lyrics. Needs a hook. Rocks along, but nothing to really grab me or stay memorable.

Fart- Is this what comes out of a Klownhole? Not much of a song. Sounds like Rock It on a bad Mushroom trip.

Ben Foxworthy- Too long, nice rhythm guitar playing, however there are some tempo fluctuations. Nice singing. Too long. Needs a hook.

Signboy- Not bad playing. Not very catchy. Nice guitar tones, though very loud. Ho hum.

Tam Lin Music- I'm anticipating awesome vocals, will you deliver? Yes :) I wish this kept building, and drums would kick in. Great singing.Too long really, without more developing. But I dig it!

Wages- Wow, I like this. vocals are great man!

Kill Me Sarah- I like the verse parts a lot. the chorus , not so much. Yeah the distorto part actually rocks less. Pretty cool half of a song.

Gamma Man- not into it. Nice riff however.

Zipline- Wow, I like this a lot more now than when i submitted it. I was too close to it. I've been in Nur Ein land since then, and haven't listened to it since. 30 minutes with Ken's mixing instructions did a world of good for our mix. It's a step up for us, still a long way to go. i doubt we have Ken's endorsement yet, a few more mics and tips. So that is Ken as the other guitarist, Martyr is the producer, and I'm the editor. Sammy had the bitchin riff ideas. The intro was improvised, you shoulda seen the smile on Ken's face during the jam that became the intro. I love Martyrs vocals, but I understand those who don't. Anyway thanks for the nice comments!

Contenders are: Ross Durand, Melvin, Hostess Mostess, the Hell Yeahs, I suddenly like the Zipline entry again too.

Tough call: I'm going back and forth between Melvin and Hostess Mostess. I"ll let them soak longer before I vote.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

SteveHandPuppet wrote:
Kill Me Sarah wrote:
SteveHandPuppet wrote: Kill Me Sarah: Ixnay on the ogrammedpray umdrays, svp.
[...]may I ask what you would have us do instead? Those of us without actual drums? [...]
What would I have you do instead?

1. [disregard my comment]

2. [make your fake drums sound more real]

3. [use snippets of someone else's real drums]

4. [turn down your fake drums]
A lovely exchange! This is why I never respond to reviews (besides an occasional "thank you"). The reviewer has made claims. The remedies are obvious and optional. Done.

I have to laugh, though, since I am also one "without actual drums" and have to wrestle with this question, too. How can I rock out without the proper rock out equipment? Mr. Puppet forgot 3.5: Clap, snap, and bang on tupperware. And of course 5: All of the above. A little homemade hand percussion on top of a MIDI pattern, or drag/dropped drum samples over a real-drum loop does fool the ear a little.

So I'll add those to the good list.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
TruthAndRegret
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TruthAndRegret »

URBANmail - I like the beat, I like the rapping style, I don't like the lyrics. Good effort, but not my thing.
_-=Truth_-_&_-_Regret=-_
HamNoBurger
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Reviews

Post by HamNoBurger »

Biharmonic Plus - Could use some work on the drum programming. Vocal pitch is all over the place, but I like the chorus melody.

Jolly Roger - Where's the bass? I dig the prog rock thing, but I couldn't make it all the way through this one.

Tam Lin Music - I've probably listened to this a good dozen times. The mp3 has already been transferred to my mp3 player. I can't find anything wrong with the track - well done!

MC Eric B - Please make the bad man stop.

Destruction Enterprise - I'm going to group this in the same batch as MC Eric B's track. (And that's not a good thing.)

Gammaman - Not a fan of the vocals (timing seems to be off in places). With a better mix, I'd like this one a lot more. There's potential here.

Antisoc - Loved it until the vocals began. Loses points for the novelty lyrics. Actually, the vocals are growing on me - the vocals and the Thriller-like organ are takin' me back to the 80s. In the end, not that bad after all. Entertaining.

Wages - Acoustic, good. Random click track (?) out of nowhere, not so good. Probably won't get my vote, but not a bad effort.

Melvin - Now this definitely sounds like it was all let out. Pre-vocal intro reminds me of Drain S.T.H. actually. I love the solo busting out right as the tune gets heavy again. This is a contender.

Hostess Mostess - Great vocals. Sounds like someone who's been listening to The Beatles. Very interesting tune - I found myself entertained and wondering what would happen next.

Renwick - Love the intro. I wish there was more of a verse melody before the bridge kicks in. I was hoping the intro would make a return later in the song, and it did (under the solo). This one's also a contender.

Ben Foxworthy - I want to like any song that incorporates ninjas into the lyrics somehow, but I don't know.... Creative lyrics, but I can't take this one too seriously.

Back Street Blumpkins To Men - Very entertaining (shampoo bottle and all). But I'd love to hear the lyrics rewritten to this one, so that it could be played for a PG-rated audience.

Zipline - I dug the intro, but this really isn't something I'd find myself listening to on a normal basis. There were a few nice riffs in there though.

Fart - I'm all about checking out some experimental-type tunes. I applaud the effort put into this one, but without actual lyrics, I don't know if I could vote for this one. What does this song have to do with Evil April?

Kill Me Sarah - Not bad. Middle of the road for me. I like where this one is going, but I wish the vocals were turned up a little and/or that I could understand the lyrics a bit better.

Signboy - Almost sounds like a Cake ballad (especially the guitar). I actually like the vocal melody better in the verse than in the chorus. I don't know if this could be a single, but it would definitely make for a good deep-cut album track. I like this one.

Urbanmail - This is my favorite rapped-vocal track of the bunch this week. However, I'm genetically wired to enjoy the rock tracks more than the urban tracks, so unfortunately, this won't get my vote. With that said though, I can appreciate this effort even though it's personally not my thing. Not bad.

The Hell Yeahs - Is this a White Stripes B-side? Nope. It's a The Hell Yeah's A-side. Just as with the Tam Lin Music track, I can't find anything bad to say about this one either. The outro was a nice explanation point on the rest of the song. Definitely a contender.

The Weakest Suit - Unfortunately, The Hell Yeahs are a hard act to follow, and The Weakest Suit track happened to fall in place right after The Hell Yeahs on my random playlist. This one's not bad, but there isn't a lot here to make this track stand out. It is catchy though - I'll give you that much.

Ross Durand - A novelty track, but I like it nonetheless. This is an example of a well-written song that would probably make it on my playlist, but only towards the end of October.

dB Collective - Some production issues here. I like the "Evil April" call-and-response though. This has potential, but the production brings it down a bit.
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

glennny wrote:Wages- Wow, I like this. vocals are great man!
Wow! Thanks!

"Got to admit, things are gettin' better,
a little better, all the time"
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
doorite
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by doorite »

Spud wrote:

SPUD
well, i had to set it up to get the song on so you could hear it, and none of the other guys besides the two of us have added our pages yet....... thank you for gettin it on, and it can be hard to do simple things on a computer, if you've never owned one before,lol, im learning. On behalf of tunkpoppa, mumbles, flam, jackDoobie, and of course me..... d.o.o.R.i.t.e, thanks for listining. :wink:
doorite
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by doorite »

jackfrost wrote:
it's also interesing that each of the three doorite accounts have the other two as the top two friends.

also, is there any proof that this song was finished before the deadline? anyone can send an email with a bad attachment to stall for time. then four days later post the song on a different site and put a link on the message board. does this still count for anything in relation to song fight? and weren't there technical issues with their file for the previous fight? how hard it is to attach a file to an email and hit send? there are many baffling issues at work here.
i put my sites as top friends of my other sites so people could link easily to my other stuff, if they didnt see the link on my pages, and the issues are kinda simple, people designed the internet.... so it still screws up sometimes, just like us. :D
Biharmonic Plus
A New Player

Post by Biharmonic Plus »

glennny wrote: BiHarmonic Plus- Loud boring drum machine, reluctant mumbly vocals, muddy guitars. Not into this. Can't hear the vocals, when I do I can't pick out the words.
thanks, i'll work on all of that
HamNoBurger wrote:Biharmonic Plus - Could use some work on the drum programming. Vocal pitch is all over the place, but I like the chorus melody.
thanks. i'll try to make my drums more real.
martyr
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: bass, vox, mix, guitar
Recording Method: m-audio 1814, logic; motu traveler, magix
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Zipline, Zinkline, Monte Carlo, Older Brothers

Post by martyr »

. Evil April

Hell Yeahs - I love this. The melody is great; the riot grrrl punk production is great; the nasty distorted everything is great. Don't change a thing! This is hands down the WINNER in my book! This song rocks, and captures the title perfectly.

Melvin - Heavy, almost reminiscent of smashing pumpkins in tone. Once the vocals kick in, it gets your Weezer vibe again. Actually, the whole thing reminds me of Jawbox. The spacey part is cool, albeit spooky "you deserved my gun"??? I'm worried about your psychological stability. You're not going to go postal on the community if you go another 20 songs are you? The solo out of that is a pretty cool descending bit. I like the deep textured orb of distortion you create for the listener -- one can get lost in it. The voices that emerge out of it at the end are cool. I can't believe you've submitted 20 songs this excellent in a row and finally cracked the streak with a win only a couple of weeks ago. An aside on game theory -- when other songfighters aren't in it, they may listen to 2-3 songs by known-excellent artists. You're clearly one of those. Anytime I see Melvin in a fight, yours is one of the first songs I'll listen to, or even give a "blind vote" for. So don't get so ugly!

Ben Foxworthy - Acoustic story bit about ninja turtles assaulting April to snag her DNA. The crazy lyrical story line is a bit distracting. The progression is fine enough and the vocal accomp in the chorus is a nice touch. I like the intensity of the "I'm not ready" melody. Bob who? The ninja turtle and silly references diminish from your good lyrics like "Evil April, how will you make your life your own when you know you are just an evil clone?"

Fart – Synth, deep reverb drum loop, moaning to strange panning alien melody. This sounds like an exercise in creating a sound scape in a gourge.

Signboy – Pretty hooky groove from the start. I really like the picky guitar verse / chorus structure. The transition and vocal highlights are all well done. I’m confused about the lyrics – Evil April has some ear that doesn’t hear well and cuts your wrists? Melodically the line works great, I’m just not getting the meaning.

Zipline – This is our entry for the week, and I like it conceptually, we just need to re-perform it. The verse melodies are not right at all in this version. I basically messed Glenny up by singing all of Ken’s verse lyrics backwards. Why I did that? Not sure, but it totally screwed up his ability to splice in proper phrases during the editing. What I do love is the 7/8 part Sam introduced, Glenny and Ken’s guitar interactions, and the super-power final outro. I also like the chorus conceptually – with its 4/4,3/4,3/4,4/4 structure, but clip that was used in the 2nd chorus had some serious bass flubs I can’t help noticing. It’ll be fun to do live all worked out, but the recording as it stands has room for improvement.

Wages – Dramatic vocal style piece with extended chord – lick switch backs. This seems crafted to be that stadium rock number when the lights come down and the main singer comes out with nothing but a guitar. You know – that song they play when the ushers start walking around handing out lighters to anyone that doesn’t have a lit cell phone to wave in the sky.

Weakest Suit – The bass tone is nice, the guitar tone is a bit rough. There’s no rhythm section, so the rhythm guitar is holding the time. This could be good, but just need to tighten it up. The circle of life chorus has a nice hook, and flows well to and from the verse. I like how the guitar lick transitions between. Yeah, drums are the #1 request. Then #2 -- maybe strings?

Urban Mail – Good hip hop groove. The fuzz in the back at the beginning is a touch coarse. The she’s so she’s so eviilll line is good. Yeah the fuzz is just too much. You’ve got urban mail is a cool sample. Over all, not really getting into this though.

Tarn Lin Music – Nice piano and steel string duet intro. The vocals are a bit too Broadway for me. For that style they’re well done, but I guess I’m not quite ready to sink into the somber mood this wants me to go into. Now it’s starting to remind me of slow Led Zeppelin, which makes it better. Yeah, this is good. The vocals are clearly nicely delivered – way to push it out!

Ross Durand – Nice slow march and classic folk melody. I like the warning line “don’t go down there alone”. This song sounds soooo familiar! Why? It’s one of those classics that sink into your subconscious. Creepy, foreboding. What’s going to happen?? Oh the horn build up is great. I was getting impatient and eyeing the length just before it kicked in, but the way this builds slowly in instrumentation really delivers. Has a very triumphant crux.

Renwick – That synth is loud and a touch edgy. This is mastered to the max. Drops into a nice lush soft chorus fx quitar and into the wall of distortion. The vocals lead this textural transition well. This song would fit well on an Evil April album with the Melvin tune. You both took the thick slow distorted approach with heavy drums. I like the solo section.

MC Eric – The drum loop is solid. The echo keys could be better, but become hypnotic. The vocals need work – perhaps start with taking the levels to avoid the clipping.

Kill Me Sarah – Nice ?Depeche Mode? minor feel – very 80s slow dance pop which is close to my roots. The vocals maintain the Emo feel nicely, over the distortion section, which is a nice idea, but the I think a touch of tweeking on the heavy distortion tone would improve the effect. The clean tones are really rich and beautiful. Abrupt ending.

Jolly Roger – Monkey beat with harmonized metal riffing intro. The execution was probably difficult – sounds a bit disturbing somehow. Drops into a good vocal verse. The chorus is pitchy and the melody doesn’t seem intentional.

Hostess Mostess – High attack intro with the vocals. The start isn’t really catching me. I like the staccato center section. The nananananas are interesting too. The piano seems EQed all weird – the lows are booming more than they need to. “A way to melt” vocal is excellent – very moving. The e-piano is sounding good on this part too. This song is a journey. You are certainly pushing it out.

HamNoBurger – Or should I say “Chris Rock’s Member Club“… Nah. The chorus has a good dramatic depth to it – I like the composition of that part. Verse 2 the bass picking is busting up the speakers – a touch of compression or a direct box perhaps? Turning it down in the mix may help too, but I think you’re going for that “huge bass” sound which is cool. The bridge and verses work, but the strongest part of this song is definitely the chorus. The solo is moody, nice.

Gammaman – a little too monotone of a verse. The wah guitar is cool. The vox are catching me.

Destruction Enterprise – This is self-indulgent. Not into this. At least it’s short!

dB Collective – The fem vocals are sort of PJ Harvey. Didn’t you guys a fully funk entry a few weeks back? If so, this is pretty different! I like the main / back vocal interaction. The chorus has a nice depth of tones and cool groove – I like it, but kind of want to hear a simple sentence or message for the lyric there rather than repeating Evil April – or maybe repeat one less time?

BiHarmonic Plus – The drum machine is too loud in the mix I think. Let the guitars carry this and tune up the singing. Add a second guitar for texture and pan them hard left/right. The composition has potential – you just need to tighten up the execution. Actually there is a really tight, beautiful song hidden behind a struggling young vocalist on this track. The bass is pretty muddy when it kicks in – not sure what to advise there, but I think the bass should be on more of this track if you can figure out how to adjust its timbre to give it space in the mix. Reminds me of Magnetic Fields.

Back Street Blumpkins – Smooth guitar and cool funk intro. Nice mega-phone vocal production – and let go of it at the right time. You guys would be a great college party band. Very groovy – that strap/heart lyric is too funny. The S/M story line is too funny. OMG this is definitely a one time listen, but pure comedy. The mouth harp rhythm behind the break-down is perfect. Appendix – this is too much. I’m massively offended now, turned off, and don’t ever want to hear anything you do again.

Antisoc – Heavy New Order synth madness with rap over top. Don’t know – I’m burnt out on reviews and this isn’t compelling me to go into detailed thoughts on it.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
m++
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

martyr wrote:So don't get so ugly!
Hehe, yeah, good advice. I'll watch that.

As far as the "postal" vibe of my song goes, this song is actually Melvin playing the role of the VA Tech Gunman. The voices at the end are meant to be the "reveal" - they're from the cellphone footage someone took that fateful day.

Thanks for your kind comments, Martyr.
hi!
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

martyr wrote:Hell Yeahs - I love this. The melody is great; the riot grrrl punk production is great; the nasty distorted everything is great. Don't change a thing! This is hands down the WINNER in my book! This song rocks, and captures the title perfectly.
Yay! I'm glad you "got it" that the song is supposed to sound that way. It's not bad production at all! :wink: Thanks for the great review!
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
MUMBLES-TheRedEyedSamurai
A New Player

Post by MUMBLES-TheRedEyedSamurai »

thanks for all the urbanmail reviews. Some good tracks this week. Keep up the good work guys.
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

Hardly any time for reviews, so here are some quickies:

Antisoc: I love New Order. Not a bad track. Some amusing lyrical turns.

Backstreet: Pretty slick production, but I don’t like the funk-lite vibe. Some disturbing lyrical turns.

Ben Foxworthy: I like your voice. Needs more melodic variation and/or production intensity to hold my interest for almost five minutes. Cut it in half.

Biharmonic: There’s a certain charming naiveté to the vocals on this. Having said that, they probably could have used a little more work. Still, there are some pretty nice harmonic occurrences in this track. Keep practicing.

db Collective: Honestly, it took me nine seconds to hate this. I know that’s not very constructive.

Destruction Enterprise: Some decent lyrics here, but I am once again forced to refer to SF MC rule #1: Weak flow is not just a sign of an enlarged prostrate, but also of bad hip hop.

Fart: Indeed.

Gamma man: There might be something redeeming about the lyrics here, but I can't get past the music-in-a-box production and uninspired vocals.

Hamnoburger: Solid. I like this. The writing, playing and vocals all hold up in a mid-90s way that I still dig (maybe a bit too much).

Hell Yeahs: Awesome. The hype is justified – The Hell Yeahs rock total ass. Raunchy production and bad-girl vocals are highly arousing.

Hostess Mostess: Lots of very pretty little touches and flourishes here, and the sections with piano are just so groovy and catchy. Loads of soul. Great work.

Jolly Rogers: Wow dude, it sounds like you’ve been to mixing school! Very interesting production stuff happening here. Like the first verse, but some of the other vocals are questionable. You can really play the shit out of those drums, eh? I notice it now more than before, since I’m currently learning to play. Respect.

KMS: Right off the bat, I like this a lot. Definitely loses something when the “band” kicks in, but mainly because of the mix. I love the chord progression and melody. Really nice work.

MC Eric B: Decent groove, but painful vocals.

Melvin: As I mentioned elsewhere, this is my (admittedly very superficial) trek into the mind of a mass murderer.

Renwick: I like this okay. Intro riff is cool, production is cool, I guess the chorus just kind of fails to kick things up a notch melodically. Also, cheer up!

Ross Durand: This is really sweet. Outstanding performance of a cool story. This may be an obvious comment, but this would fit well on a Tim Burton soundtrack. Evil April – just what the hell IS she anyway?! I’m guessing that’s Steve playing the solo? Great work, fellas.

Signboy: This is solid. I don’t totally “get” the riffs or the melodies, to be honest. But they sound pretty cool to me.

Tamlin Music: Off the top, I like the roomy, out-of-tune-sounding piano. But when the vocals come in, my interest drops off very sharply. Just don’t like it, sorry.

Urban Mail: This track has the flow that Destruction Empire lacked. Having said that, this genre of dark, mildly industrial hip hop does absolutely nothing for me. I think “genre bias” is the term we use around here.

Wages: Eh, not bad. I’m always a sucker for your impassioned vocals, but I don’t think this song has a structure or melody that does the golden pipes much good.

Weakest Suit: Whoa, time-warp! Far out! Yeah, I like this. This is pop at its most innocent and harmless. Not exactly gripping, but pleasant.

Zipline: I love a lot of things about this. For example, the changes in feel and rhythm, the drumming, most of the guitar work, and quite a few of the vocal passages. The section at 2:48 totally lifts my spirit. Awesome stuff. If I had any constructive criticism, it would probably be to spend a little more time nailing down the vocal phrasing and melody, because it seems a bit random at times. Great work overall.
hi!
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

I may not be fantastic yet, but the mere fact that Melvin and Glenny both liked even a portion of my song must mean I'm improving :D

Can either/both of you tell me what specifically was off in the mix? I think I'll remix it later so I can learn for next time.
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
Renwick
A New Player

Post by Renwick »

I liked the Kill Me Sarah song as well. Have you been compared to Sebadoh before? At least the vocals sounded similar to me. Anyway, good work.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Renwick wrote:I liked the Kill Me Sarah song as well. Have you been compared to Sebadoh before? At least the vocals sounded similar to me. Anyway, good work.
I have not, nor have I listened to Sebadoh. But thank you for the compliment! Is there a Sebadoh song in particular I could check out that you think I sound like?
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

melvin wrote:The hype is justified.
Were I the type to put quotes in my sig, etc.

thanks a billion.