The Shield

Blab about the Boob Tube.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

The Shield

Post by jack »

I think this is one of the best shows on TV right now. I've become a huge fan. Great writing and storylines, excellent cast. This is what a cop show is supposed to be like.
Hi!
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

i love this show. i've been hooked since the encore of season 3. the new season started a little rough (mainly because of the police chief switch/glenn close introduction), but by the third episode it was back on course. the last chunk of season 3 was probably one of the best things i've ever seen in tv series, at least in recent years. awesome show.
"Technology is like living with the eyes of a shark. A shark's eyes have no life in them." - Gary Busey
Calfborg | Jeshimoth
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

I thought the season finale last night was pretty good. I think Glenn Close has been fucking awesome on this series, and I'm really bummed to see her go. She definitely brought alot to the table and her acting on this series has given me new respect for her as an actress. Her character will be very hard to replace.

I still think this is the best show on television. Tuesdays at 10pm on FX.
Hi!
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

this is the only show i watch. it's very good.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

jack wrote:the best show on television.
I'd like to reiterate that for the current season.

Every damn season now has really got me wrapped up in it towards the finale. I think the last few episodes of this season have been the most stressful of the series; rightfully so with the dedicated investigation of the badass strike team. Forest Whitaker plays such a dick. The last episode ended so nicely with The Smashing Pumpkins' "Disarm" to close it and fucking Lem dodging prison by going to Mexico. It's done so well and realistically that it's just heavy as shit. I love it.

Regular time is Tuesdays at 10pm (eastern) on FX, with repeats on Friday at 11pm and Sunday at 10pm. 90-minute season finale next Tuesday.
"Technology is like living with the eyes of a shark. A shark's eyes have no life in them." - Gary Busey
Calfborg | Jeshimoth
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

damn, i missed the last episode, but i've been watching it so far this season and i totally agree calfborg. riveting tv. best show on right now. and forrest whitaker is soooo good as the dick he is. you knew that mackie and his team had to go down sooner or later, and bring the whole anton mitchell thing back in and escaveda playing both sides ( i hate escaveda more than the forrest whitaker character).

anyways, this show has consistently been the best show on TV the past few years.
Hi!
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

It's back! And already intense. And Forest Whitaker is still a complete ass.
Calfborg | Jeshimoth
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

ha! i was going to post something last night about this. curious about your thoughts on the season premiere calfborg...

personally, i wasn't wowed like i was expecting. i'm sure the lem thing will play out for awhile, and i'm really glad to see forest whitaker back. his character (and chiklis) are easily 2 of the best actors on TV right now. the whole guilt/suicidal thing with shane was played up pretty good, but cmon, he's acting all weird and nobody suspects anything?

overall, i'd say pretty good. after such a bombshell ending last year, it's hard to match that sort of intensity, and while chiklis and whitaker bring top notch acting here, i thought the writing was a bit weak. they are turning kavanaugh into this fanatical lunatic (witness tampering, that thing with dutch...) instead of the cold and calculating by the books cop from last year. loved the bitchy scene with mackey's wife and the cop who just had his baby. meow! :)

not as good as Lost this year (with the exception of the last episode which sucked) but still any show with chiklis and whitaker has got game. my second favorite show on TV.
Hi!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

This is my only TV show. A little hit and miss, sometimes over the top. I agree that last night was good, not great, but while it stumbled a bit, it didn't feel too forced. The heat on Vic is gonna get hot. Some good set-ups for later too.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

It will be quite a stretch for them keep Lem's story with Shane going for the whole season. Right now it seems that no one has any suspicion of Shane (except for maybe Whitaker), and his behavior is probably being received as coping with the trauma of Lem's death. I think it's reasonable that no one suspects him at this point so soon after the incident, but if Shane continues to act the way he is now for much longer, something will come out pretty quickly. Either Shane will arouse suspicion himself or Kavanaugh will uncover it. There's sure to be some uncomfortable moments when the team is searching for the guy Vic thinks killed Lem.

They're also making it seem like Vic's time is up really soon with the retirement obligation and especially with Kavanaugh's planting of evidence. There's one more season left, too, so I'm curious how it's going to play out. After following 24 so far this season it's refreshing to see a more naturalistic cop/scandal drama. I do think 24 (whose violence has increased this season) sometimes rivals The Shield for suspense, but The Shield has a better emotional connection that's not so Hollywood.
Calfborg | Jeshimoth
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

plus, being on cable gives the shield somewhat of a reality edge over 24 i think. it can be nastier, which given the nature of the show is important.

it is a bit odd with the whole retirement angle, but i think thats just fodder to feed his fire to stick around and find lem's killer. i think at this point that's the only thing driving him, the guilt over feeling responsible. chiklis playing intense is the show's ace (love how they always close in when he looks like he's going to blow a gasket....).

i think this is the year that shane finally gets what's long overdue coming to him. and kavanaugh, not mackie, will eat his gun at the end of the season.

my early predictions :)
Hi!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Re: The Shield

It looked like it had already slipped into oblivion, but a week from today begins the final season of this occasionally brilliant show. Some great characters and nutsy stories were hampered by inconsistent writing, stretching themselves too thin at times or getting ahead of themselves. But when it works, it really works. Hopefully they pull it together for the final roundup, and that Shane gets it! Do tune in.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by The Weakest Suit »

tonight, tonight, oooh, oooh!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Well. That show really dragged, huh? :shock: I was panting trying to keep up, at first. If they can hold it together, it should make for a fun ride 'til the end.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

yeah, good start!

that douche bag cop on disability...cracks me up! but he came through at the end!
Hi!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

series finale tonight. and it's going to be HUGE!!

just gotta say one more time this is one of the best cop shows in the history of TV. hands down.
Hi!