RiffWorks RiffRumble

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
dwalton
A New Player

RiffWorks RiffRumble

Post by dwalton »

Line6 and Sonoma Wire Works are hosting an online song writing competition. more details here http://www.sonomawireworks.com/riffrumble/

I thought someone here might be interested.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I was until I found out I had to buy some products first.

At least, I'm assuming I do. Or at least learn to use their product. Boring. You don't work for them do you?

Please say you don't and that you aren't just trying to sell something... that would suck.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Oh you cynic, Leaf!

Even if he is a Line6 employee (which I kinda doubt, what with the lack of a marketing schpiel), his post about a songwriting competition is appropriate to this forum, although it might be more appropriately placed in "Monkey Business" as "Sidefights and Highlights" is really for songfight-related stuff. I'll think about moving it later.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
dwalton
A New Player

about myself

Post by dwalton »

I am one of the three engineers from Sonoma Wire Works that built RiffWorks. We are guitarplayers and we built it for guitar players. Line6 is our distributor. I am trying to tell people about RiffWorks in an interesting way. I suppose I should have been clear in the first post that you do need RiffWorks to compete in the RiffRumble.

You don't need RiffWorks to listen to the hundereds of peices of free music posted by our users.

Sorry if my post is considered to be spam. However I thought it was on topic and would have been appreciated by some guitar players that were interested in a dead simple way to record. I also thought that some people would be interested in listening to some free independent music.

I will go away now.

(;
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

HA! HE IS an employee!!!!

At least you have the decency to say so... and that's cool that we can listen with out buying the product. Frankly, if I could afford one, I'd probably buy a few line six products... but hey. I'm open to endorsement offers. I mean, tons of people know who I am... I 'm like the Darby Hendrickson of the internet... and then I could enter your contest.

And win.

Pm me.... I'll take an amp while you're at it...
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

I can attest to the fact that I know who Leaf is.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

Yeah, Leaf's definitely got me beat there. Even Googlism recognises the fact that I'm a rather forgettable person.
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio

Post by Bolio »

Leaf wrote:I 'm like the Darby Hendrickson of the internet...
lol
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
HansGruber
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by HansGruber »

Interesting. I've been checking out the Guitar Port and Riffworks. Looks really simple, but better than nada.
Evil never looked so good.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

It's all great and everything that there is this contest on, but I find it silly that they offer you this free VST, but you can only use it for 60 seconds at a time. I mean c'mon!! They want to get sales, but they're not really willing to let it out so that people can REALLY try it. I think it's bad business and for a community so hell bent on putting money into things that they know to be tried, tested and true, I think it's fairly presumptious and a little embarrassing to post a new thread about selling products to get people to enter a competition whereby nowhere does it say if there are any prizes to win. There's just no incentive.

Like how about posting a free VST that doesn't have a silly sixty second cycle on it, so people can identify if it's worth getting, over the free effects available on line (like the thread in the Help and How To Thread). Maybe do it for free for Songfighters with the software demo that is free (for sixty seconds) that expires in a week or something. Now that would be a sidefight, or a regular fight for that matter.

Not a very good marketing ploy from my mind and kind of turns me off the company altogether. So if you read this, oh salesperson, then reconsider the notion of this annoying thread you spammed out and create a new competition with better integration into the community that you "fell" into. Also become a little more in tune with the community at large before you mildly insult them with this silly sales pitch. Might as well be a frigging pop-up this thread.[/gripe]

Good grief! :roll:
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Re: about myself

Post by boltoph »

dwalton wrote:You don't need RiffWorks to listen to the hundereds of peices of free music posted by our users....I also thought that some people would be interested in listening to some free independent music.
RE: Riffworks plugin: Get an amp and crank it up with a mic on it (do whatever you have to do including annoying the neighbors, maxxing out the creddy card, etc.) Then you can get free comp and modulation and eq plugins and you'll already be doing better than if you used riffworks.
Besides your "free" music is just promo to get people to hear guitars recorded w/ your plugin. and there are so many free VST plugins out there I don't see I'd ever pay for one. Cheers!
dwalton
A New Player

Lets be clear

Post by dwalton »

RiffWorks is a recording package for guitarists. Effects, drums, guitar centric recording ideas...

RiffTracker is a more complete package that comes with line6 amp models and a usb input device as well as other goodies.

RiffRumble is a contest for RiffWorks users.

The Sonoma7 is a VST plugin that features the Effects of RiffWorks. The trial version only allows 60 seconds of use before turning the effects off.

I am just one of three engineers at Sonoma Wire Works trying to make some fun recording tools for guitar players.

its all at http://www.sonomawireworks.com

...and hey, sorry to 'spam' this thread. I honestly thought that readers would be interested in what we are working on (some are!). Its not like I wrote some multi paragraph post across multiple threads about male enhancement. It seemed on topic.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Whatever!!!!

Post by tonetripper »

Ya but you still haven't really thought about the concept of offering a community full of songwriters and musicians a better ability to really test out your plugins. It just seems that it would be cool to address the needs of the community before entering in the fray of thread-dom here in the forums. I mean if you really want to sell these things there isn't much enticement to buy into something when there is so much great free stuff on line. Whether or not you think you are spamming is irrelevant, but what matters is trying your software out on a community that would give you honest and good feedback. The optimum word being "free". I, for one, will not buy something if I haven't tried it and your 60 second use of the plugin is lame. I would need time to figure out if it's better than micing an amp and augmenting the sound with good plugins that I already have or what have you. I just think you are going about it all wrong and personally you skirting the issue by crying ignorance about posting a commercial for your products to a community, a little more in the know, is frankly insulting.

Why don't you take back this info being passed along and instead of passing the buck, take it on the chin and re-think your sales pitch. And also for the record, Boltoph gets some of the best guitar tones here and I doubt very much that he would ever need to buy into your concepts. I like Line 6 and everything, but it sure doesn't beat a Gibson Les Paul pumping through a Marshall 2000 or Fender Twin mic'd with some kind of dynamic mic and then effected. Make it free or create a sidefight for this community and then let's find out if your plugins really stand up to other recording principles meshed with good use of FREE plugins and not that lame 60 second shit.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Re: Whatever!!!!

Post by boltoph »

tonetripper wrote:I, for one, will not buy something if I haven't tried it and your 60 second use of the plugin is lame. I would need time to figure out if it's better than micing an amp and augmenting the sound with good plugins that I already have or what have you.
No question!
Walton, I hope that you understand that unless you wanna throw a couple of us free, fully-working, plugin packs, we'll probably continue to berate your hard work. At least make it a 60-day full trial and then maybe I'd try it out. In any event people will probably pirate the shit out of your plugin eventually and there may be nothing you can do about it. I'd be happy to give your plugins a whirl if you want to give 'em to me for free.
So whaddaya say man? Wanna throw me a bone or what? heheh. I know, I know. :o
DELETED

at it again

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Moral of story: Dont try and sell stuff to artists.......seriously, what were you thinking?
DELETED

Another one

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Leaf
Jump

Re: Another one

Post by Leaf »

mikkidw wrote:RiffRumble V, this time with more prizes. There's a free demo of RiffWorks now, that doesn't time out, includes all seven effects and lets you save your songs. It's doesn't mix down, though, so you still have to buy the full version for $130 to submit a song to the 'rumble.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/riffworksdemo.php

Excuse me if you find this to be spamtastic ;-) I just noticed this thread and that some of you were interested in a demo of this that doesn't time out.

Michelle - the marketing chick with Sonoma

Cool Michelle.

Hey... I was just wondering...which songfight artists were you checking out... that motivated you to click on the messageboard link..that motivated you to read enough threads that you'd coincidentally "notice" a thread... and make your very first post there... in a thread from an advertiser you are affliated with?

I spelt words wrong.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

It may be that she's here because this thread is the first hit when you google "riffworks riffrumble", ahead even of the actual page for the contest, which is kinda funny.

Then again, that may not be it...