Look Both Ways Before You Cross (Motor Psycho Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

[astrolamb]
I like the DK thing. i swear i wish you’d record these bloody things at 44k. it’d rip my eardrums out and i’d love it. i’d poop with glee. i LOVE the motor-gotta-get-gotta-gotta-get bit. it’s probably the catchiest chorus-like thing from this lineup.

[chinstrap]
funny, quiet synth intro leads into turned down guitars? eh? this song is pretty dirty. It makes me want ride my harley, were i to own a harley.

[dwg]
cool gated drums. again, like many dwg songs, this has real rockit potential. the melody is good, teh drums are uberkool, and. yeah.

[f hole]
hello, i’m r. mosquito and i’m the guy that bitches about how people need to stick to the GD title given. i mean, okay, there’s a vague reference to haven driven somewhere, but “whiskey or/all my life” seems like this song’s title. that said, you rock awful hard and i wish i could rock like you.

[josh]
On that first line you sound creepily Springesteenish. I’m glad someone worked in a Artho Guthrie reference. Plus being, you know, a sucker for synthesizers, I love the bridge/outro. And, of course, a good dismemberment joke always plays well with me.

[loyality]
soooo.... it’s really, really good. But like, I sorta have ADD, right? And when I listen to the cowboy junkies i have to speed it up. Same with this. I am weak and pathetic for not being able to appreciate such a beautiful song in it’s native state.

[rabid]
i can’t tell you how much i loved this.

[sonofsupercar]
the craziness. no other song made me feel quite so motor or, for that matter, quite so psycho. you lot captured the mood both musically and lyrically better than anyone here, and I salute you with my saluting cheese. Plus you rock, and while the word “rock” has been used a great deal in this set of reviews, you guys really do deliver that which I would consider rock.

[tonyhightower]
oh my god, this is so bright green pleasure machine. Were you trying for that? Anyway, the timbres in question are just fantastic.

[wreckdom]
I drop to my knees. This is the best wreckdom ever, and that which I shall vote for. You fuckers better place this time.

[r mosquito]
was me. My brother just left to college and i inherited his warlock guitar. Thus, I thought I would break it out and try some rockishness this week. but apparently everyone else had that idea, too.
-- reve mosquito.
astrolamb
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, keys, computer generated bleep blops
Recording Method: Stuff -> Motu M4 -> Reaper ->Your Ears
Submitting as: Astrolamb
Pronouns: he/him

How did you get the name 'REVE'?

Post by astrolamb »

You may not know that you share the name of the world's second greatest rock band from England: http://www.nagodadesign.com/reve/

In fact I'm drinking from a 'Reve - Feel The Passion' coffee mug as we speak!
- Robert
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

Astrolamb : What I Liked: The guitar sound. I love saturation. The crazy sound effect bits are cool.
What I Didn’t Like: The vocals make it sound like a wanna be B-52 track. Couldn’t get all the way through, but not horrible.

Chin Strap: What I Liked: Again a nasty guitar. The concept.
What I Didn’t Like: The vocals. Half the time it sounds like your doing a Bon Scott impersonation.

Down With Ginger : What I Liked: I like robot voice.
What I Didn’t Like: repetitive. Not a very listenable song.

F-hole : What I Liked: I loved all of the music, changes and mix.
What I Didn’t Like: Your vocals.

Josh: What I Liked: Have you used this riff/sound before.. hmmm. I like it though. The concept and delivery of the story are great. Fun song.
What I Didn’t Like: Vocals seem forced at times. Not even close to your best.

Loyalty Day: What I Liked: Your voice and sound.
What I Didn’t Like: Do you have a different sound? It seems like your style has a limited range. I know you probably wrote this with the intent that the music and subject would clash. I would have loved to hear you do this “Hard”.

Rabid Garfunkel: What I Liked: Everything. This is excellent.
What I Didn’t Like: Nothing.

R. Mosquito: What I Liked: This is also very good. I like it very much.
What I Didn’t Like: It sounds over compressed.

sonofsupercar: What I Liked: The sound is very cool. The chimes are cool. Drums are great.
What I Didn’t Like: The vocals are over compressed and clipping. The ending.

Tony Hightower: What I Liked: This is a hard one for me to pick a winner. This is good too. Acoustic is great. Vocals are really good too!
What I Didn’t Like: I don’t like the sound you get on the electric guitar.

WreckdoM: What I Liked: This is one of my favorites by the Giant Wreckdom.
What I Didn’t Like: It need to be a bit shorter. About 2 min, like a commercial.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Fried wrote: Loyalty Day: What I Liked: Your voice and sound.
What I Didn’t Like: Do you have a different sound? It seems like your style has a limited range. I know you probably wrote this with the intent that the music and subject would clash. I would have loved to hear you do this “Hard”.
Thanks for the review. As for our range, we have done other styles. A few weeks ago we submitted a pretty thrasin' little ditty:

http://people.geneticmail.com/sam/loyal ... _awhfy.mp3
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

quick reviews

love f-hole merman song... great done... reminds me of somethin'... i can't quite put my finger on it... but very awesome (love the random harmonics) if i'm hearin' 'em right... (could be just a really strong effect)(now the i listen yea it's probably just an effect) and i've been dyin' to hear a solo... and thank you :::tears of joy:::huge hugs::: i love you...
wished it would've gotten really crazy though... but deffinately very appreciative... and it fits quite well...

joshwoodward: i don't know if your voice fits distortion as well as your clean stuff... of course it's done awesomely... i'm not feelin' it as much as i do most of your stuff... (loved the weird synth thing)

loyaltyday: really pretty... i loved the arpeggios in the beginnin'... the one chord on the 'synth'... one of the chords sounds a bit off... really nice stuff... so far fhole still has my vote... but this deffinately has some beauty 2 it... that i really appreciate hearing... \m/

rabid: hahahahahahaha... this isn't really the best musically... but i love the story... he's known from here to witchita... that's kansas that's pretty far away...
hahaha... i love that... anyways great for humor... no vote... deffinately entertaining though haha... (my dad's a truck driver 2... O_o his nickname is heuy... cause he looks like the baby duck in the cartoon... he's fuckin' HUGE...)

rmisquito: this was really fuckin' good... not a vote... but really awesome fight here... good stuff in a weird way... but enjoyable... \m/

sonsofsupercar: i'm not huge on the vocal effect... love the music... somethin' that could have a nice mosh pit...

tonyhightower: woo rough fight man... sort of what i imagined out of motor psycho that's probably why i don't really dig this... the distortion on the guitar sounds pretty rank 2... i don't know if it's just the production or the settings on your amp...
didn't hear a solo... that's what i didn't really like about your song much... :'( it sounded like it needed a solo... a really good solo... like i've been wanting all week... my guitar is broken and i can't solve the want to myself

wreckdom: good better then a lot i've heard... is it all sample?... or is it any of it real?

chinstrap: if there is a solo in this song... where is it at... if not... err not really into it... nice distort on the guitar though...

downwithginger: ok i do like some of your stuff... but i guess i'm not really lookin' for anymore computer programmed songs... i've been makin' too many to handle them very much right now...
it has some pluses in there... (the vocal effect is really hard to understand...)... not too bad

astrolamb: (like the guitar backing riff)... sort of an old school sound... like your vocals for it... kinda fits pretty well... needs a solo really bad... i can't listen to that kinda music without a really nice solo of sometype... i'm spoiled by the 80's

(anyways i planned on this bein' a short review of only tops... but i had too many tops to stop... so i just went ahead and did everyone... just not as intricate as i would've liked...)...

F-HOLE gets my vote for givin' me a solo... i wished more from it... but it was still GREAT!!!... some really awesome songs in here though...

sorry i've missed my guitar... and i can't make my own solos to satisfy me :'( and i'm sad... and i need solo... like now... i'm fiening
if you aren't happy with your review... sorry... in a hurry got more writing to do...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Richard WreckdoM »

Poor June wrote:quick reviews

wreckdom: good better then a lot i've heard... is it all sample?... or is it any of it real?
Thanks for the kind words. To address your questions young man; No samples were used during the construction of this song. The guitar playing was all done by Wreckdom's own Incredible King Colon. The vocals as well were all done personally by the beautiful and talented Geoff Wreckdom.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Richard WreckdoM wrote:
Poor June wrote:quick reviews

Thanks for the kind words. To address your questions young man; No samples were used during the construction of this song. The guitar playing was all done by Wreckdom's own Incredible King Colon. The vocals as well were all done personally by the beautiful and talented Geoff Wreckdom.
well i'm quite a bit impressed... not used to that... really awesome \m/ keep up the good work

Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

[quote="reve"]
I drop to my knees. This is the best wreckdom ever, and that which I shall vote for. You fuckers better place this time.

Thanks Reve, It would be nice to place just once. I feel confident that eventually, it will happen. Maybe if we cheated...NO! We won't stoop to that level that many others have tried, and certainly some have gotten away with. You know who you are and you will forever know you're pathetic.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

yea never stooped low... obviously... closest i ever got was tied in 4th... wel once i got in a fight with johnny cashpoint where we tied second... but i didn't do a whole lot in the song

but yea... hopefully someday i'll make somethin' that'll hit up there high

Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

Reviews (I may not get the chance to finish all of these):
*indicates a keeper

Astrolamb: I really like the slides or whatever they are. They're pretty damn cool. Not too bad. I think you have a ton of potential as an artist. I hear lots of good things in your music. This is an alright song. 2 and 4/5 stars.

Chinstrap/David Stiles: Has kind of a Liam Lynch feel to me. It's really quiet though. It's an ok song, kind of funny. Gets pretty repetitive though. You need a chorus or something. 2 and 4/5 stars.

F-Hole Merman*: I really like the harmonics in there. I can tell this is really good, but it's not particularly grabbing me. On the other hand, I like it better the second time through, so maybe it just needs to grow on me a little more. It's actually growing on me as the song progresses, and I'm starting to really like it. Sweet guitar solo. Very nice job. 3 and 2/3 stars.

i'll try ot finish these later
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

oyrobot wrote:love f-hole merman song... great done... reminds me of somethin'... i can't quite put my finger on it... but very awesome (love the random harmonics) if i'm hearin' 'em right... (could be just a really strong effect)(now the i listen yea it's probably just an effect) and i've been dyin' to hear a solo... and thank you :::tears of joy:::huge hugs::: i love you...
wished it would've gotten really crazy though... but deffinately very appreciative... and it fits quite well...

Poor June....Thanks for the kind words. If you are curious, the harmonics were played by my friend, the other half of ye olde F Hole Merman without any effect (he's clever that way), and I played the solo bit with a slide and an ebow. It's not always necessary, but it's fun to hear a little guitar solo twiddling now and then...

yea... completely understandable... really enjoyed it... hope you enter more songs \m/

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

reviews

Post by Lunkhead »

hit and run revues

astrolamb
this doesn't sound like it's in stereo. is it? you could use two tracks of rhythm guitar, panned apart. the drums are pretty weak. the singer fits the style, and as others have said sounds a bit like jello biafra, so i like that. the music isn't rocking like the dead kennedy's though. the big problem is the drums, you need some crashing cymbals. the lyrics around "hauling ass ... going fast" are weak, too. the song isn't too bad in spite of the production and lyric issues. i like the echo chamber vocals near the end. some polish and maybe shortening it more into 2 minute punk song territory would make me like it more.

chin strap
your drums sound way better than those of the last song. i like the backup vox. you could also stand to have doubled and panned apart the guitar, to flesh this out. your main vox are thin and whiny some times, with too much reverb and not enough gain, and sometimes they're a bit annoying. good song length, though. that ending sucks.

down with ginger
i'm not liking this. i swear i heard that same drum beat in a bjork song. hey, at least it's short. i didn't like it much, but i was still able to listen to the whole thing, so good job there.

f-hole merman
ah, the most hi-fi tune so far. the bass sounds good, but i'm not feeling the kick drum as much as i'd like (i'm applying higher standards here for mixing, etc. than to the other songs...). the vox are too whispery for my tastes. heh, ranchero... this kind of plods a bit. it's a bit generic, blues-rock/jammy stuff, though good for that genre. nice vox in the second chorus and lead-in to the bridge. ok, i'm hoping for a really ripping guitar solo. i feel let down by that solo, since it sounds like you could really let loose there and shred. oh well... good song length.

josh woodward
intro seems promising. i feel like the little instrumental break before the vox takes the wind out of the song that the intro builds up. something about the vox sounds strange. what are the effects on them? the driving drums should have come in earlier, i think. i would like to hear some cars-esque keys coming in in the second verse. you are pounding your plosives, probably on purpose, but i don't like it. ah, there's the keyboard, nice. again i'm hoping for a raging solo in the bridge, like on the last song, but that's just because i'm a guitar wanker. can't be helped, i suppose, but i still feel let down. the lyrics aren't grabbing my attention. the last chorus has some good energy. i wish the song had reached that vibe earlier. nice, bringing the keys in for the coda chorus repeat. you're rockin' pretty good here, why save it just for the end?

loyalty day
i think the rhythm problems people are hearing are probably in the guitar tracks. i did each track in one take, so there are some issues that we didn't have time to clean up, especially in the first verse. ken put more work into getting the rhodes part right, and i think it sounds great, especially in the bridge. anyway, this was another fun one to do, though it turned out a bit longer than it probably should have been.

rabid garfunkel
whoa, that's a lot of reverb, and sounds like some flange on it? i think the reverb is making this all sound like it's coming out of a tin can. the drums are distorted, too, like overloaded. they're mixed too low, too. the singing seems to get off pitch in spots during the chorus. the lyrics didn't do much for me. it's kinda long for something so simple.

r. mosquito
good intro. more jello biafra sounding vox. that's a lot of lyrics! i can't quite make out everything you're saying. i like the music. i'd rather hear a different snare sample (assuming it's a sample). and maybe have the hi-hat more in the center, rather than panned hard to the right. the kick needs to kick harder, too, and i'm not hearing a lot of bass overall i guess. nice and short, yay.

sonofsupercar
wow, another lyric stream. the drums don't sound as good as they usually do. i mostly hear the snare, which is sort of pounding my brain. this just sounds noisy and grungy to me, in a way i'm not into that much. short, though.

tony hightower
there doesn't seem to be much bass in the mix. the acoustic guitars sound like mostly strumming noise. the distorted guitar is pretty noisy, too. the isn't doing much for me.

wreckdom
i really like this. i'm impressed you can keep it going so long, though i think it's a bit too long. still, this is pretty good, though. a nice tribute.

sorry i was so crabby. nothing personal meant by my reviews, just my opinions. next time i'll try to do them earlier than the night before the deadline so i have more time to think about what i'm saying.
Dave - so dark...
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Dave - so dark... »

Just a quick one to say i thought r mosquito kicked arse. Loved your song. and voted for it.

Astro Lamb did well this week too.

good work guys.
I am a failure as a dave and as a human being!!
astrolamb
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, keys, computer generated bleep blops
Recording Method: Stuff -> Motu M4 -> Reaper ->Your Ears
Submitting as: Astrolamb

Thanks!

Post by astrolamb »

Just a quick thanks to all - this week as others I've got a lot of good positive feedback to work with. One day I will win one of these things . . .
- Robert
Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Re: reviews

Lunkhead wrote: wreckdom
i really like this. i'm impressed you can keep it going so long, though i think it's a bit too long. still, this is pretty good, though. a nice tribute.
Thanks for liking. It makes me overwhelmed with joy. I think it's funny that nobody pointed out that the actual Russ Meyer movie, Motor Psycho, had nothing to do with our synopsis. It was actually a pretty terrible movie about a raping motorcycle gang and cops that treat the victim like a whore. Again, pretty terrible movie. By the way, in the end, her boyfriend kills the rapists.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

A quick paragraph of review by Niv:

This fight had some interesting stuff and some really bland stuff. First off, Wreckdom had a good idea but the joke ran long. Real long. Like 3 minutes into watching Carrot Top when all the good props are gone. Son of Supercar was super as usual. My wife wonders why you don't have a record contract. That's when I play Blue's "I am the President...". Anyway, SoS' punk meets surfrock meets Pulp Fiction was a breath of fresh air. David Stiler's entry was the antithesis of SoS' as it was bland and the expected response to the name "Motor Psycho". Tony Hightower's entry is the acoustic version of David's, either that or the b-side of Ratt's "Way Cool Jr". R. Mosquito had a good idea but had to use that hoaky voice. Please R, listen to some Piltdown (http://www.dirtcheapmusic.org/idiotsinstereo), take a page from his book and try again. Josh W. put up his worst song ever. This was Josh devoid of feeling and emotion. Did you phone this one in? Down with Ginger was OK but very very short. Rabid Garfunkle had an interesting idea but for a story song to work the story needs to be compelling (exception being "Convoy") and this story wasn't. I love Loyalty Day. They are becoming one of the bands I most look forward to hearing on a SF day. But this was not one of their better tunes. The solo was silly and the whole thing felt drab. F-Hole Merman brought more hair metal. But this didn't feel like a Ratt b-side, it felt like a Tesla or maybe Great White b-side. Finally, the surprise hit of the fight was Astrolamb that conquered up some Devo and stole my vote from Blue & the Gang.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

whoa who said you ripped hair metal???!?... i was thinkin' along the lines of alice in chains or somethin' but not hair metal...

:::shakeshead::: they must've not heard the same song

Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

congratulations... again mr. woodward... haha how many fights have you won!?!? O_o

joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

Poor June wrote:congratulations... again mr. woodward... haha how many fights have you won!?!? O_o
Thanks. I'm shocked that I won this one with as much as you guys hated my tune. I still like it a lot, so I won't complain. Loyalty Day should have kicked the crap out of me, though.

No idea how many I've won. The voting system on here is ridiculously skewed and pointless, so I don't really pay attention.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

joshw wrote:
Poor June wrote:congratulations... again mr. woodward... haha how many fights have you won!?!? O_o
Thanks. I'm shocked that I won this one with as much as you guys hated my tune. I still like it a lot, so I won't complain. Loyalty Day should have kicked the crap out of me, though.

No idea how many I've won. The voting system on here is ridiculously skewed and pointless, so I don't really pay attention.
honestly you came in second to merman for me... so yea i can see how ya won... \m/

i think the only reason loyalty day came below you though in my mind... was because they had one chord that was really off.. i can't remember if it was durin' the bridge or the chorus... but it was just a real ear sore...

but yea... i'm still happy for ya... cause i thought how it sounded they were gonna win 2...