I don't like to talk about my (Checkered Past prefight)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

I don't like to talk about my (Checkered Past prefight)

Post by Lunkhead »

Checkered Past
Due: Thursday, 01/02/20 9:59am PST
optional challenge: Confess something
yourbandname_cp.mp3 sent to fightmaster@songfight.org
Subject: Checkered Past
Body: (your band name)

All will be revealed.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Re: I don't like to talk about my (Checkered Past prefight)

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

I already have a really strong idea for lyrics with this prompt, and boy are they salty.
I'm afraid this one fails on pretty much every level for me. - Jim of Seattle

My bandcamp! https://phlebia.bandcamp.com
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Oh wow I think I accidentally wrote something!
.sig
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

I am seriously skeptical that I will be getting this in in a timely manner. I've had company almost the entire fight period! But other than getting the vocals recorded almost everything else is pretty much done.

Also: this sure is one quiet prefight!

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

We're working on an entry. Might have it done tonight. If not then tomorrow night. Not as last minute as it's sounding.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

I'm in with my first attempt at electronica. Even though I've had this in mind for a long time, I still almost chickened out and swapped the instruments at the last minute. Apparently trying new things makes people uncomfortable.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

In, with a radioactive piano or two. (for this track: reverb impulse response recorded in Medical Unit 126 Concert Hall, level of gamma radiation: 0.71 μSv/h. Piano age: 2009. Not sure I recommend this plugin wholeheartedly tbh, it seems really buggy, but at least it sounds cool if you like the sound of rotting pianos.)

(edit: for this one, since it's piano-based, I actually went to the trouble of hooking up my 61-key Roland that usually lives at my band's practice space and using it as a MIDI controller instead of my little tiny 25-key controller that I normally use, and it's amazing how much easier it is to play with a full-ish sized keyboard, I should really probably get a bigger controller to use all the time...)
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Submitted. After much debate about tempo, I’m done.

If I didn’t have a job, a family, and a world strongman competition to watch I would probably have added another 57 guitars.
.sig
Adnama17
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: guitar, bass, uke, mando, clarinet, smidge of piano
Recording Method: Reaper and a Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: Adnama17, Evil Grin
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Adnama17 »

I'm glad Pigfarmer Jr showed up with a song for me to contribute to. I wrote one that was WAY to personal to ever share. The kind that you write, and then put away and never ever play again b/c it tears your insides out, and then your insides lay there on the floor writhing and pulsing, but then you can examine them, and put them back in correctly. Twas "great"... Needed to get that out though. Much better now. :)
And now it seems to me the beautiful uncut hair of graves -Walt Whitman
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Adnama17 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 am
I wrote one that was WAY to personal to ever share. The kind that you write, and then put away and never ever play again b/c it tears your insides out, and then your insides lay there on the floor writhing and pulsing, but then you can examine them, and put them back in correctly.
I don't know if I'd call my current track TOO personal to share, but it's definitely got at least one foot firmly in that category. There's definitely people who I have zero interest in sharing it with, but...none of you are among them :) And it's about a false confession, so I suppose it fits the optional challenge to some extent.
Last edited by Æpplês&vØdkã on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

phil
A New Player
Submitting as: Phil Well

Post by phil »

I'm in... for the first time. :)
shoehornTC
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Uke
Recording Method: GarageBand
Submitting as: shoehornTC

Post by shoehornTC »

I'm in. I'm confessing a bunch of things in my song, but not all of it is true. Actually, as with all my songs, I write them from the perspective of a character, though the lines are sometimes obviously blurred. Well, obvious if you knew me.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

I know it's late already but I just pulled a gizo and recorded my vocals on the side of the road. I won't let holiday company prevent me from getting this in!!!

gizo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by gizo »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:38 pm
I know it's late already but I just pulled a gizo and recorded my vocals on the side of the road. I won't let holiday company prevent me from getting this in!!!
Huzzah! If there's one thing I want to be remembered for, it's singing about pain in the car on the side of the road in an affluent suburb.
.sig
CazaroTaro
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: CazaroTaro

Post by CazaroTaro »

Please mark me down has having confessed to submitting.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

owl wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:35 am
In, with a radioactive piano or two. (for this track: reverb impulse response recorded in Medical Unit 126 Concert Hall, level of gamma radiation: 0.71 μSv/h. Piano age: 2009. Not sure I recommend this plugin wholeheartedly tbh, it seems really buggy, but at least it sounds cool if you like the sound of rotting pianos.)

(edit: for this one, since it's piano-based, I actually went to the trouble of hooking up my 61-key Roland that usually lives at my band's practice space and using it as a MIDI controller instead of my little tiny 25-key controller that I normally use, and it's amazing how much easier it is to play with a full-ish sized keyboard, I should really probably get a bigger controller to use all the time...)
Ooh, I'm excited to hear some of those radioactive pianos. That plugin looked really cool. Also I went through a similar realization about keyboard sized. I had been using just a Akai LPK25, tiny 25-key keyboard for a long time but I eventually got frustrated with that and got a 49-key Korg microKEY Air. I thought it having Bluetooth would be cool but turns out I was dumb and forgot about the horrible latency of Bluetooth which I'd already been burned by before. But even plugged in it's nice to have a still compact lightweight keyboard with more keys, that I can plug/unplug/toss around etc.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:26 pm
Ooh, I'm excited to hear some of those radioactive pianos. That plugin looked really cool. Also I went through a similar realization about keyboard sized. I had been using just a Akai LPK25, tiny 25-key keyboard for a long time but I eventually got frustrated with that and got a 49-key Korg microKEY Air. I thought it having Bluetooth would be cool but turns out I was dumb and forgot about the horrible latency of Bluetooth which I'd already been burned by before. But even plugged in it's nice to have a still compact lightweight keyboard with more keys, that I can plug/unplug/toss around etc.
So, if you're curious, one of the issues I had with the plugin is that I could only easily change the convolution reverb setting. None of the other settings seemed to work with my mouse (keyboard age aka how shitty/detuned it sounds, lid of piano open/closed, how close it's mic'd, I forget what else but there are a few settings that are controllable in theory). I was able to set it to "learn MIDI CC# automation," which worked with my little Arturia controller but didn't seem to be working with the Roland I wanted to use to actually play. So the "2009" setting is actually somewhat worse than maybe would have been ideal but I had issues changing it back to an earlier year.

Also, the "Snapshots" don't work for me. The plugin seems to be looking to load them from a folder location on one of the developer's local drives :roll: And there's a constant script error message at the bottom of the screen in Kontakt. At some point, I'm going to email them to complain about all this, the interface looks nice but a bunch of these functionality things just seem kind of unprofessional. I'm pretty new to the NI ecosystem so maybe I'm overlooking something but I am pretty sure "script error" isn't a user error thing...

oh and I guess this might be normal but maybe I haven't bought enough big plugins to know... the download was in the form of a 2-part Zip and didn't come with directions about that or how to install it, I had to ask the developers, and they sent me instructions. I'm used to dealing with multi-part RAR files, but not multi-part Zip files, and as it turns out, I had to install WinRAR to extract it, my version of 7zip was apparently insufficient...

Anyway I think it sounds cool, I would love to be able to take the impulse recordings out of the plugin to use as general reverb on other stuff, but I couldn't figure out how to do that or if it's even possible--tried opening with TotalCommander + plugin, and resaving the plugin with samples elsewhere, but it extracted all the keyboard samples but none of the reverb samples.

How are the pitch/mod wheels on the Korg, are they the kind that goes back to center?
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Snuck into the bathroom for a bit with the laptop, transferred my vox from my 4 track, mixed it down quickly, and submitted.

Christmas gifts featured: new drumheads and a steel tongue drum solo!

Adnama17
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Adnama17 »

owl wrote:

Well... We used my 100+ year old upright acoustic piano for ours, and I suck at piano, so that was fun. There will be no comparison I'm sure. It's f***ing hard to record a real piano!
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Adnama17 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:09 pm

Well... We used my 100+ year old upright acoustic piano for ours, and I suck at piano, so that was fun. There will be no comparison I'm sure. It's f***ing hard to record a real piano!
I've never even tried! Mine's around the same age, inherited indirectly from my uncle's ex-mother-in-law. My piano is located in probably the most noisy part of the house, but maybe once my youngest is in school I'll give it a go.

Don't you just love the sound of super old pianos though?

owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Adnama17 wrote:
owl wrote:

I'm excited to hear your Real Piano in action! I've never tried recording a real one. How did you mic it? Sometimes for FAWM I've recorded our digital piano + vox with a mic in the room but I seem to always get a lot of extra key/pedal noise, though granted I wasn't really experimenting with mic placement or type.

(ps I just listened back to my track and realized I mixed the vocals way too high and dry, but since I'm avoiding trying to resubmit, everyone gets to have a super uncomfortable detailed tour of my vocal tract for this song, oops. I should probably not submit songs at 2 am anymore, even if it seems done at the time. please just consider it a purposeful part of the "unpleasant vibes")
Adnama17
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Adnama17 »

owl wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:07 pm
Adnama17 wrote:
owl wrote:

I'm excited to hear your Real Piano in action! I've never tried recording a real one. How did you mic it? Sometimes for FAWM I've recorded our digital piano + vox with a mic in the room but I seem to always get a lot of extra key/pedal noise, though granted I wasn't really experimenting with mic placement or type.
Previously, I had just popped my condenser mic next to me where I sat and went to town. Never really like the results, but I'm lazy and never did anything else. This time, I got more ambitious and aimed the mic down by the pedals. Less reverb-y, but still on the boomy side, as PFJ described it. Next, I am going to try opening up the top and/or the front and see how that sounds. Might fit the "something's wrong" prompt nicely, eh? Hahahahaha!