Niv and the Exploration

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Re: Niv and the Exploration

Post by Niveous »

Day 7 & 8

Been sick the last two days and that has definitely affected this project. Somehow, I still was able to do 250 more songs. And now I'm at a good place to do some catch up/ charging ahead. I'm about to reach the point in 2003 where I started following SF. But to get there I had to get through a lot of fights. These two days have included the arrival of bands like sonofsupercar and Klownhole. There has also been a lot of King Arthur, Blind Mime, Roymond and Jon Eric so this has been a big change from the 2002 songfights.

Oddity of the day- I just wasn't prepared for Gonna Be Your Man to include Ken talking about blowjob queens and Hoblit talking about cunnilingus. Just wasn't prepared.

Here are the GEMS:
  • Death Plunge by Team:Music
  • Look Good in Black by JBB & ADD
  • Shreds by Duboce Triangle
  • Shreds by The Idiot Kings
  • Shreds by Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
  • So Aggravating by King Arthur
  • Red Flag (can't find a friend) by sonofsupercar
  • The Blue Signal by King Arthur
  • Level Best by The Andromeda Project
  • Level Best by Blind Mime Ensemble
  • Level Best by The Idiot Kings
  • Birthdays And Breakups by Balls To Monte
  • Birthdays And Breakups by The Idiot Kings
  • So Long, Atticus by Blind Mime Ensemble
  • So Long, Atticus by Frankie Big Face
  • So Long, Atticus by King Arthur
  • Sunny Again by Shark Tornado
  • Gonna Be Your Man by 15-16 Puzzle
  • Gonna Be Your Man by MC Frontalot
  • Unless I Change My Mind by Bravo Bros.
  • Unless I Change My Mind by Jim of Seattle
  • Unless I Change My Mind by Visionary
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 9

How strong is nostalgia. That was a question I needed to address today. I hit a time where there are memories attached. Lots of great groups arrived as well as several people who I became friends with. How was I going to address this? One of the criterion of my GEMS score is that I would listen to the song outside of this experience, like if I was switching radio stations would I stop if this song came on. There are songs that I would stop and listen to because of that nostalgia factor. Frontalittle Squad is one of those. I hear those and I listen and chuckle. It's the dumb shit I enjoyed in my twenties. Is it great rap? Not always. So, do I weigh how good the song is over my nostalgia. I decided that I would, though I'm sure that my nostalgia is so strong that it will rear it's ugly head again and give some songs GEM scores just because and I'm okay with it. It's what I like.

This was also the time of the first real big fights. The average for fights is around 14 songs. Today I listened to Bad Attraction (27 songs), What We Need More is Science (28), Space Cadet (27), Accelerator (30), Thunder Storm (30), Step Up (26)...

Oddity of the day: Belt Buckle and the Clock Warriors' "Thunder Storm". This song is a wild bit of electronica with shrieking vocals that cry out repeatedly "Thunder storm! Your dog is scared!" and I fucking love it.

Here are the GEMS:
  • Bad Attraction by Brad Sucks
  • Bad Attraction by The Idiot Kings vs. Elijah Wyman
  • Bad Attraction by prayformojo
  • Need Stilts by A Kid Named Ace
  • Need Stilts by Glenn and Rachael
  • Need Stilts by IRC All Stars
  • What We Need More Of Is Science by The John Benjamin Band
  • What We Need More Of Is Science by MC Hawking
  • Space Cadet by The Frontalittle Squad
  • Space Cadet by Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
  • Space Cadet by State Shirt
  • Accelerator by A Kid Named Ace
  • Accelerator by Seth
  • Thunder Storm by BBCW
  • Thunder Storm by Jim of Seattle
  • Thunder Storm by Mouth Reliant
  • Thunder Storm by Superflux
  • Happy Machine Ankle by The Frontalittle Squad
  • Happy Machine Ankle by Stelloscuro
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

It may seem like I'm a bit stingy with these GEM scores but right now it seems that I'm giving out 1 for every 10 songs. That's not too bad.
So far, I've been scoring per ten songs- 1 GEM, 6 OKAY, and 3 TRASH.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 10

You might look at my GEMS for the day and think it's another day of NIv being stingy with the big likes. But it's not just that, I hit a very special time in 2003. Songfight decided to have 2 simultaneous fights running. That was great because if you didn't like one title, you could shoot for the other. And I will say that it was nice to listen to some smaller fights after yesterday. But this was also a time of trolls (lots of them), including one of Songfight's most legendary. If you weren't around in 2003, allow me to tell you a little about Jeshimoth.

Jeshimoth was (is?) a record label put together by a group of friends who all decided to start Songfighting at the same time. There was Jute Gyte, Calfborg, Catknife Horsebomb, and Lightning Ear Fart. The music had different levels of palatability. Jute Gyte brought screamy industrial sounds but he's fricking brilliant. I still listen to his stuff. He has a musical mind like few others. Go to his bandcamp and you'll be absolutely blown away by the musical experiments that he does.

Here he is talking about his newest release:
Algorithmic music based on the rotation of a repeated sample's start and end points. The track begins with a sample playing from a start point of one to an end point of zero, meaning that the sample plays backward in full. With each repetition of the sample, the start point decreases slightly and the end point increases slightly, causing the sample to contract toward its center. At the track's midpoint, the start point and end point cross and the sample begins expanding outward to reach a start point of zero and end point of one. In four-part canon with binaural spatialization modulated by random LFOs.
See what I mean. He does wild stuff and brought wild stuff to SF. Calfborg was rawer and when he first arrived, he did lots of strange noise pieces. Later he would really find his groove and check out his Nur Ein run, it's wonderful. Then came Catknife, who did mumbly noise for another a minute per song. When it comes to my musical tastes- you can sing clean, you can scream your head off, but fuck you if you're mumbly and mushmouthed. CKHB hit all the wrong buttons for me but then again, that may have been the point. We don't know. It may have been trolling, it may not have.

LEF was surely trolling. Every song was a Gumby sample and then a collage of another samples. It drew a lot of hatred. And then Sober did the one thing that you should never do. He fed the trolls. He made a "rap" song calling out Catknife and LEF for trolling and that only made LEF troll harder and creepier. LEF started using a text to speak program and started making songs that they hoped would make Songfight happy. It's creepy as hell. I haven't gotten to the one where he starts calling out people by name. It was like knowing that a serial killer kept a picture of you under their pillow.

Probably more of that story later when I reach the Jeshimoth supergroup Pumpkin Buzzard.

Here are the GEMS:
  • Bullseye Girl by Abbot Presley
  • Bullseye Girl by Jute Gyte
  • Angry All Over by The 'Over
  • Field Day by The White Hat
  • Stand In The Circle by Omphaloskepsis
  • Foam Rubber by Jute Gyte
  • Driving by Brother Machine
  • Driving by Tbonius
  • Hold My Calls by Piltdown
  • Hold My Calls by tripped
  • Toronto Star by Dirty Laundry
  • More Than Soup by Starfinger
  • Violet Wants It Her Way by Blind Mime Ensemble
  • Violet Wants It Her Way by Lonbobby + M0bo1d
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

I'm giggling because you mention the creepy guy who made the song calling people out by name...I thought about trying to get the real names of people and doing the exact same thing for a fight at one point but decided it would be too creepy. Good, someone else did it!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Sober »

Unforgivable snubs to Brother Machine and Melody Generator for their Space Cadet entries. Truly a legendary fight.
Niveous wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:24 pm
...And then Sober did the one thing that you should never do. He fed the trolls. He made a "rap" song calling out Catknife and LEF for trolling and that only made LEF troll harder and creepier...
Yeah, one of the many reasons I changed monikers. I was 18, gimme a break :roll:
🤠
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Holy crap,you were only 18. Definitely, you get a pass. 18yo in 2003 doesn't know not to make a diss track about a troll.

As for the snubs, it's bound to happen. This is one man's journey through the archive. Someone else's will be far different. YMMV.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

I had a thought about your memory gems. Have a new occasional category. ‘Guilty Pleasures’, and use it to tell stories about the song and related info around that songfight.

I’m digging the deep dive. Wish I had the time or the context to do it, so we’re all living vicariously through your project!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Niveous wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:35 pm
This is one man's journey through the archive. Someone else's will be far different. YMMV.
Part of the fun is the chance to go back and see where our opinions differ. And sometimes it's fun to loudly complain about it on the forum. :twisted:
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

BoffoYux wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:25 am
Have a new occasional category. ‘Guilty Pleasures’
I stopped believing in guilty pleasures when it comes to music. Love whatever music you wanna love.

But I will continue to pepper this project with SF stories as they come to mind. You have to realize that at the point where I am in the archive, I haven't even entered my first Songfight yet. I will arrive at that point in a few hours. Bound to have more stories as memories come flooding in at that point.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Sober wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:10 pm
Yeah, one of the many reasons I changed monikers. I was 18, gimme a break :roll:
Yeah, there are reasons why I haven't gone back to any of my mid 00s names and nearly all of them have to do with being a teenager at the time.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Niveous wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:35 pm
As for the snubs, it's bound to happen. This is one man's journey through the archive. Someone else's will be far different. YMMV.
I'm just poking fun. You're undertaking a monstrous task - one with likely seriously mental health implications. Godspeed, Niv.
🤠
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 11.

I'll talk more about this day's finds later. But here are the GEMS:
  • Please Don't Call Me Ken by Doctor Worm
  • Please Don't Call Me Ken by Starfinger
  • Feathers by Jute Gyte
  • Feathers by Lonbobby + M0bo1d
  • I Don't Believe You by Doctor Worm
  • House In My Head by Rachael Layne
  • House In My Head by Raised By Wolves
  • Dirty Chucks by A Kid Named Ace
  • Dirty Chucks by The Landfills
  • Dirty Chucks by Lunkhead
  • Dirty Chucks by Puce
  • Cosmic Confirmation by Grub Et Al
  • Cosmic Confirmation by The White Hat
  • Soft Orange Glow by sonofsupercar
  • Tomorrow's Almost Over by Lemon Party
  • Friendly Fire by Bloodberries and Cream
  • Friendly Fire by Humbert
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Before I jump headlong into today's listening, I wanted to give a look back at the songs from Day 11's listen through. That's an important time for me because it's when I entered my first Songfight entry. It was in the "I Don't Believe You" fight. While lyrically it's an okay song, my god is the production bad. The guitars are swallowed up into the void, leaving only the wonderful sounds of flanged vocals. My second attempt Put Cindy Back On The Bus wasn't much better. Then I received a blessing in the name of one, Johnny Cashpoint. Despite the fact that I was making trash entries, he really took me under his wing. We started working together as the Transatlantic Fight Club and musically I haven't been the same since. Let me say this. I am so grateful for having J$ as a friend. One of the best people I have ever known.

This set of fights also included House in my Head. The first time I did an archive listen through, I don't think that RxW song registered with me in any major way. Now, that song means the world to me because covering that song is what started Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost. We even released that song on our shabby little live album "Night Owls" (https://lwrg.bandcamp.com/track/houses-in-my-head).

This set of fights also included the Merry Christmas fight and that was terrible to go through. I hate Xmas songs especially outside of Xmas time. I only allow them in my house from the Day after Thanksgiving to the Day after Christmas and then I'm done.

Oddity of the day: I could have given this spot to the ongoing LEF/Sober battle which had sudden;y turned into raps, but then there's "Please Don't Call Me Ken" by Flogging the Dolphin which has nothing to do with being called Ken and has everything to do with a dolphin named Skippy.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 12-

Memory is a funny thing. I was just going through the songs when I got to the Spalding Grey is Missing fight and my brain goes... "I remember liking the Historyman song from that fight". Minutes later, I sat in stun as I hear the lyric "This life is a deadpool, you were my absinthe bride" and realized "Hey, I wrote these lyrics"...and then came the realization..."It's not the only one". I rushed to the Jack Shite song and here "this life is a deadpool..." and I put my head in my hands and went "There's another one isn't there..." and there was as Lunkhead had those same lyrics too. I hadn't heard those three songs in so long. That was quite a blast from the past. Another such feeling came from hearing "Crinkle Binkle" by Transatlantic Fight Club and hearing myself sing "I'm not a straight edge...". No, Niv from 17 years ago, you are very much a straight edge.

Lots of fun stuff in this set of songs. It was the rise of Carol Cleveland Songs. Ever see a Songfight song done live? How about live on television? Maybe on Later with Jools Holland? Check out The Spinto Band (which included Carol Cleveland Sings) doing "Brown Boxes". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vcX11gInL8

You don't get a ton of children in SF but Jim of Seattle brought his kid into the Martians Are Coming To Eat Us and they made a song full of charm and they would earn the win. A win for Madi, Singer/Songwriter, Age 7. That means Madi would now be Age 20. God, we're getting old.

Oddity: Hey, I wonder what Spud thinks. Spud thinks BUSH STINKS. (Re: Crinkle Binkle)

Here are the GEMS:
  • Troublemaker by Abominominous
  • Race To Seven by Forty Second Songs featuring Novox the Robot
  • Race To Seven by Jana and the Trombones
  • Direct to Helmet by Carol Cleveland Sings
  • Martians are Going to Eat Us by Madi, Singer/Songwriter, Age 7
  • Martians are Going to Eat Us by Roy Castles Operation
  • Brown Boxes by The 'Over
  • Brown Boxes by Abominominous
  • Brown Boxes by Carol Cleveland Sings
  • Fire Bomb by The John Benjamin Band
  • Fire Bomb by Jute Gyte
  • Fire Bomb by The Tired Girls
  • Spalding Gray Is Missing by Ice Weasels
  • Spalding Gray Is Missing by Lunkhead
  • Spalding Gray Is Missing by Roy Synthcastle
  • Crinkle Binkle by Frankie Big Face
  • Crinkle Binkle by Octothorpe
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

I saw the Spinto Band a couple of times in 2006/7, they were great and the album with SF songs on it (Nice and Nicely Done) is still one I listen to pretty regularly. Aside from some Balance Lost stuff, those CCS entries are pretty much the only SF songs I've heard until I finally signed up in 2017. Enjoying the bits of historical info!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Niveous wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:04 am
... Then I received a blessing in the name of one, Johnny Cashpoint. Despite the fact that I was making trash entries, he really took me under his wing. We started working together as the Transatlantic Fight Club and musically I haven't been the same since. Let me say this. I am so grateful for having J$ as a friend. One of the best people I have ever known.
Aw, shucks. Just to say the feeling is mutual! I am so glad we got to know each other and I like to think I would never give my support to music unless I thought i could hear the talent under the production. That still stands today - though it's much easier to hear :)

j$
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Trivia: 15-16 Puzzle and I swapped songs for “Firebomb”. So my entry was written by him and vice verse.

And I remember Frankie coming over to my house in Lancaster, PA to record his “Crinkle Binkle“. We used a Martin Traveler guitar to try to mimic a banjo. I played the snare and did the mix, which I remember him not being pleased with. ;)

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

jb wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 am
Trivia: 15-16 Puzzle and I swapped songs for “Firebomb”. So my entry was written by him and vice verse.
Both very good songs. I wouldn't have known about the swap.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

I was wondering how long I would be in the 2004 fights and the answer is a while.

Number of songs (with some small disparities):
2000: 25
2001: 500
2002: 233
2003: 936
2004: 1685
2005: 1399
2006: 1283
2007: 827
2008: 752
2009: 820
2010: 488
2011: 461
2012: 466
2013: 396
2014: 389
2015: 331
2016: 323
2017: 225
2018: 252
2019: 416
2020: 324*
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Whoa. Somehow I'd never thought to look at the totals by year before. :lol: My memories don't deceive me, 2004-2006 really were the "golden years" of Song Fight.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Why was there such a massive influx? I didn't show up until 06, but it looks like it didn't really drop off until around 2010...