Name a state with no Daylight Savings Time (Surprise, Arizona reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Name a state with no Daylight Savings Time (Surprise, Arizona reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

.... can you name the other?
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Name a state with no Daylight Savings Time (Surprise, Arizona reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Lyrics go here: viewtopic.php?t=12578

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:17 am
.... can you name the other?
Isn't it like half of Indiana or something?
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

According to my research it's Hawaii. And Arizona counts as a state but one of the reservations (Navajo, I looked it up) does observe it because part of the reservation goes into another state and they want everyone to be on the same time. Which I found interesting enough to waste space typing it out.

Heine
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Presonus FP10, Cubase
Submitting as: SoFa Productions Inc., Double Me Double U, heine

Post by Heine »

Strong fight! Seems here are the first reviews...

Add:
The writing isn't that bad that it needs a lot of gimmicks and effects. A proper chorus with a straight beat (4 to the floor) would have been nice. It is firmly recorded and mixed.

Basement Bunburies:
You found your own niche. Always a pleasant listen. I like your rhymes and find them amusing. The mix could have been a bit punchier, but it's okay.

Berkeley Social Scene:
Songwriting wise I think it is one of your best songs. The solo fits so well. I love it! Very melodic stuff this time. You know how to catch me. The mix sounds not that clear on my monitor speakers; on my phone, it sounds fine.

Double Me Double U:
I recorded this orchestral backing track, which I wanted to use but found no good lyrics. Therefore, I dropped it until CynicalMonkey came along and offered me those words, which fitted also the optional challenge. Thanks to him, once again! Musically I wanted to contain many ingredients that are found in the schmaltzy German Schlager Musik from the first half of the 70s, such as Trumpets, Violins, acoustic guitars and a singer who really tries to er… sing. And I've tried to…

Flvxxvm Florvm:
Longest song in here. I dig where you wanted to go. I love the proggy idea of putting several different parts together. The strongest part (only speaking for myself) is the Sabre Dance like soloing part in the middle. Great guitar playing.

The Freezing Hands:
I really like the chosen synth sounds. However, I can't get into the way the voice is processed. It seems to whirl somewhere over the music. (What effect is it?) I can't figure it out why it seems longer than it is.

Golden Echo:
I like the intro; it builds up nicely. The pad synth seems a bit too loud (especially on my phone and stereo); on my monitor speakers, it seems to be okay. The vocal delivery reminds me of somewhat from Pink Floyd's post Roger Waters era. It would sure benefit from a highlight/milestone/chorus. Anyway, I like it. Also, it is firmly recorded and mixed.

heine:
After I couldn't find any proper lyrics for my orchestral track (Double Me Double U), I had this very quick idea. This is how I start writing songs: sitting on my sofa, noodling around and if some idea keeps my interest I take a quick take with my smartphone so I don't forget chords and feeling. And that's it here. Nothing more. First take. As I wrote: Nothing to win, just to be in. Sorry for bothering with two tunes this fight.

The John Benjamin Band:
Very laid back. A uke instead of a guitar? Nice idea! The backing vocals are well done. Another song that is firmly recorded and mixed.

Johnny Cashpoint & Andy Balham:
Hey hey! Nice song. Maybe the main vocals are sitting a bit too prominent within the mix.

Jonathan Mann:
This is one of my favorite recordings this time. Playing, singing and production are close to perfection. The only little thing I would change is the bass in the brigde/chorus part – it all gets a little loose here so I would not let the notes wander around that much (as in the verses), I would try to play it a bit straighter.

The Pannacotta Army:
Also one of my favorites! The verses remind me a lot of the early Gary Numan/Tubeway Army stuff. I love that so much. The chorus gets in to some 80s pop style. But then the moog sets in, again! You are very good in producing catchy tunes! Great writing, playing and singing!

Pigfarmer Jr:
Is there a bass missing? Or is it just way too much down in the mix? A fine country song with a very catchy vocal melody.

The Rogue Fedoras:
A song that's self-explaining. A parody? Deez nuts! That made me laugh! Still grinning.

Sumner Sloane:
You are such a great writer and singer! (I still really love your Potential Consequences entry!) If it only was recorded much better. It was obviously recorded with analogue equipment. Maybe on cassette. Right? And the transfer to an mp3 seems to add some more digital clipping. What a mess! I love analogue sound but please buy a pair of good microphones, they aren't that expensive. (For the instruments I use the Sure SM57, for singing the Rode NT 1A. Both sound pretty good even in a home recording situation.)
PS:
I also put your song into an AI to divide your stems and did a new mix by scratch. But some frequencies that were not recorded can't be added. So, my mix is a bit different but still sounds far from HiFi. – A mess! You deserve a better sound!

WreckdoM:
Very indie. Nice move to go from 4/4 to 6/8 and then back, again. I am not really certain if I like the kind of vocal performance. But just when it caught my attention by the phrase "spend all night polishing my instruments", the song was over. Think I have to read the lyrics page (oh, 404 no WreckdoM found), okay listen again…
www.heine-musik.de - Stark autark! - Keller Kollektiv - Vince Link - "Paragon of Teutonic Gloominess" - Elaine DiMasi
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Heine wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:30 am
Think I have to read the lyrics page (oh, 404 no WreckdoM found), okay listen again…
Fixed! Hope it, uh, enlightens :D
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders

Post by jeff robertson »

Reviews done from listening on laptop speakers. I usually like to do reviews using the same monitors I mix my songs with, but they're like waaay down in the basement, so nah.

Add:

Dude this is way too short. I need more of this. This groooves.

Basement Bunburies:

The sweetness of the opening guitar makes me expect a much more earnest vocal style and serious lyrics. What actually arrives is kind of jarring. I like these lyrics but I think they deserve a more honky tonk or rockabilly arrangement. Like I want it to sound like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNj6spCtUE0

Berkeley Social Scene:

Really solid and well done, but that's pretty much what I expect from you guys. The solo has sort of a feel like backward recorded guitar (you know, like "I'm Only Sleeping" and "Are You Experienced") but it's clearly not, just somehow has the flavor of that.

Double Me Double U:

Damn this is well instrumented and arranged. Love the drums. Boom! Tympani! Love the orchestra sounds. Vocals sounds like you're trying to sing lower than your comfortable range. But I forgive. VOTE

Flvxxvm Florvm:

My song. Back for the first time since 2016. I wish I'd done more vocal takes, but I had a lot of work to do that week. The bass during the verses is actually the acoustic guitar part from the outro, pitch shifted an octave down. I no longer own a real bass you should expect more such shenanigans from me.

The Freezing Hands:

Music is fun, but I'm not feeling these vocals much. Guess I'm one to talk.

Golden Echo:

Oh yeah. Now this is a mood. The whispered vocals are perfect for this sound. Please let there be an extended jazz-blues guitar solo before it's over. No? How dare you. This will not stand. VOTE

heine:

Wait, you have two songs in the fight? I'd forgot they even let you do that. Oh, I see, the other one is the real song.

The John Benjamin Band:

As always JB you are an excellent vocalist. The pace of the lyrics is kinda weird. There's lots of good instruments playing in the background and one of them should do a solo.

Do the rest later.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:40 pm
According to my research it's Hawaii. And Arizona counts as a state but one of the reservations (Navajo, I looked it up) does observe it because part of the reservation goes into another state and they want everyone to be on the same time. Which I found interesting enough to waste space typing it out.
You forgot Queensland. (this is the internet. not the usa)

Queensland doesn’t have daylight saving time.
That is why fucking currawongs and kookaburras wake me up at 4 am every morning between November and April.

I would like daylight saving time. Can Songfight organise that for me?
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I purposefully removed the "U.S." from "a U.S. state" to conserve space in the title of the thread. I debated. But I figured there is only one or two people who would care and what's the chances they'd be bothered enough to mention it?

All that being said, your point is valid... as far as it goes.

jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I just want to take a moment to complain to the Fightmaster that my fight cover image wasn't used. WTF.
IMG_0311.jpg
IMG_0311.jpg (95.95 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
I got that tattoo for nothing now.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

It'd be easier for me to use your art if you could be bothered to submit it to the site yourself. :P
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Why isn’t it enough for me just to aspire to doing the right thing, Lunkhead?
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Post by the panna cotta army »

No way to unsee that now
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin

Post by Duncan »

jb wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:23 am
I just want to take a moment to complain to the Fightmaster that my fight cover image wasn't used. WTF.

IMG_0311.jpg

I got that tattoo for nothing now.
Painful, but not as bad as this non-surprise from Arizona
Attachments
Screenshot_20240117-143512-122.png
Screenshot_20240117-143512-122.png (838.88 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
codywalkerjr
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums/Percussion/Guitar/Vox/Pedal Steel/synth
Recording Method: Reaper/ID44
Submitting as: Cody Walker Jr./Longfellow Street/Golden Echo
Pronouns: Private

Post by codywalkerjr »

Trying to get these in before the next title. I apologize if they aren't thorough enough.

Pannacotta Army
Like the drums alot!(Floor tom phrase is cool), quality of tones, nice vocal phrasing.
Moves smoothly into chorus, great pads in there. Mix quality is solid. Just so much to be appreciated here! I can tell you put a ton of effort into this.
Vote

Basement Bunburies
Mix is kinda low but I like the instrument choices. Points for having a solid Theme. Lots of references to cool old country songs.
Like what you did here. I like your vocal doubling but I feel like the vocal phrasing could be tighter
Vote

Jonathan Mann
Nice guitar work. Nice vocals. I feel like they could use a touch more verb or be tucked back in the mix more (subjective)
The whole song has a nice indie vibe to it. I like your ability to tell a great story
Vote

Sumner Sloan
Has a shaky vibe to it. Like it wants to lock In rhythmically but can't. Bass is on top of the beat. Drums are behind. Tighten that stuff up you have a cool song.
Creative

Pigfarmer Jr .
Nice acoustic guitar sound. Progression is good. Good story.

John Benjamin
Nice production quality. The chorus melody reminds me of something! Can't put my finger on it! Lots of effort put into composing this piece.
Vote

Berkeley Social Scene
Has a great vibe. Wish the vocal was a little further up front. Sounds phasey. But overall like this. Has a modern prog rock vibe
Vote

Double Me Double U
Like your voice. Very bold. Cool timpani drums in there. Also another tune with a great story.

WreckdoM
In your face mix. Interesting guitar work.

Rogue Fedoras
Interesting. Lol. Thought I read on the forum that this was 100% AI driven?

Add
Definitely get "Cake" vibes in the intro. Love the vocals and guitar work. Lots going on here. Interesting enough for a vote

The Freezing Hands
Love the nasty synth intro. Lots of tension build up with the pad.. I think the actual songwriting here is excellent, just needs to polish up the mix.
Vote

Heine
Love this. I feel like we're hanging out in your living room while you freestyle.

Flvxxm flvrvm
Well done. Super cool arrangement. Another interesting story this week. Are you guys on the run from the mafia?
And surviiiiiieeeeeve. Liked this piece.

Johnny Cashpoint&Andy Balham

Like the vibe here. Production is very good.
I feel like the lead vocal could be tucked into the mix a bit more(subjective).
Like the overall vibe
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

Rogue Fedoras
The Rogue Fedoras is partly AI made. I made the beat, I wrote the lyrics, I sing the vocals. But the vocals are put through an AI filter to sound like someone else.

I wrote that my next song for Wake Up Again is going to be 100% AI driven. I hope people enjoy it. This song for Surprise Arizona is purely just for laughs.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
codywalkerjr
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by codywalkerjr »

Very cool. I asked AI to help me with my lyrics for this fight. Seems to be a great source of inspiration
codywalkerjr
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by codywalkerjr »

rone rivendale wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:58 pm
Rogue Fedoras
The Rogue Fedoras is partly AI made. I made the beat, I wrote the lyrics, I sing the vocals. But the vocals are put through an AI filter to sound like someone else.

I wrote that my next song for Wake Up Again is going to be 100% AI driven. I hope people enjoy it. This song for Surprise Arizona is purely just for laughs.

How do you do that? software or a plugin?
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Post by the panna cotta army »

codywalkerjr wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:35 pm
rone rivendale wrote:
Rogue Fedoras
…..the vocals are put through an AI filter to sound like someone else.
I haven’t used it in a song but I gave the free trial of a website called Audimee a go recently.
You have to upload a fairly decent vocal in the first place but I was quite surprised how good the results sounded from their various AI “artists”
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders

Post by jeff robertson »

rone rivendale wrote:
I sing the vocals. But the vocals are put through an AI filter to sound like someone else.
I've been considering doing something like that, as I can easily conceive of writing songs that need to sound like a different person is singing, and no time to organize a collaboration.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

codywalkerjr wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:35 pm
rone rivendale wrote:
Rogue Fedoras

I use kits.ai for the vocal AI tuning. And I just discovered suno.ai for making completely AI generated songs. Both have free and paid versions. Both have websites, I don't know about apps. Just be aware, there's a lot of tinkering around. It won't come out like you want unless you put in the effort lol.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D