Why go to sleep only to (Wake Up Again reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Why go to sleep only to (Wake Up Again reviews)

Post by Duncan »

RoneAI - This is not my jam, genre-wise. But it is really good at being what it is! I wish I had more notes. If I were drunk and this was being played live, I'd spit on both hands, rub them together, and try my very best to get into it in a full body kind of way, but sort of toward the back.
robynmackenzie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Robyn Mackenzie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by robynmackenzie »

Add: I like the beat and almost retro sound you’ve got going on here. The doubled vocals work well. The dialogue bit is interesting! This is a bit Bowie-esque which I like.

An Annoyed Android: I really like this. The mix sounds a little disjointed, like the instruments aren’t in the same space, and I want your vocals a little more up front. Other than that though, I’m enjoying the groove and outstanding vocals on this.

Basal Bark Band: Enjoying that groove right off the bat. The echoes of the guitar are very cool. I can’t hear your vocals well in the mix, definitely want them a little louder and more processed to match the instrumental.

Berkeley Social Scene: Oooh jungle drums. I like the change up of pacing throughout and the harmonies. There’s something I’m just not vibing with though, which is disappointing because I usually really enjoy your songs. Not that it’s a bad song, it’s just not catching my ear the way I want it to.

Cannonade Streete: This has some great energy right off the bat. I like the blown-out vocals for the most part, but there’s a weird whine/screech/feedback? that is distracting from it. I like the beat a lot.

Duncan Martin: I had absolutely no idea what to expect when I read the lyrics. It certainly wasn’t something this cool. I really like the flow of the lyric delivery and the layered vocals.

Flvxxvm Florvm: Those are some filthy sounds, very fitting for the subject matter. This is giving me a “War Pigs” vibe. I like the psychedelic ending.

The Freezing Hands: I can’t hear your vocals very well which is a shame because it sounds like some of the 90’s/early 2000s dreampop I used to jam in college. I like the vibe overall though.

heine: I really like those doubled vocals and how they really kick in on the chorus. This has a cool vibe.

Hoblit: This is another one I wasn’t sure about right at the start, but damn did it kick into gear nice and quick. The hook is catchy and this has a grungy vibe I really dig. Nice solo.

James Owens: Ooooh that organ. I really like the “wake up, wake up” repetition. Also loving the beat.

Johnny Cashpoint & Andy Balham: That guitar tone is great. Loving those gang vocals on the chorus, and the synth mirroring the melody is really cool.

Joy Sitler: Nice lyrics. I like how the arrangement builds throughout the song. Very angsty, which works both musically and lyrically.

The Mellfire Trifecta: I wasn’t sold on this at first. But the phrasing at the chorus got me. Then those harmonies that just build and build. Very nice.

The Pannacotta Army: This is the most Pannacotta Army Pannacotta Army song I’ve ever heard. Love those dreamy guitars and synths. The vocal delivery feels deliciously lazy along with the overall vibe. I really really like this.

Pigfarmer Jr: This feels almost country which I did not expect from you. A compelling and tragic narrative. I did want some vocal harmonies on the chorus, though.

Reve + Ujn: I wasn’t sure about this for the first minute or so. Once the vocals and beat kick in though, there’s the juice. It reminds me of Muse and Kamelot.

Robyn Mackenzie: I haven’t liked my last few entries, so this one is a bit refreshing as it’s the first song I’ve worked on since last summer. I wanted to write about some shit I’m going through in the most esoteric way possible–this was the result and I’m pretty happy with it.

RoneAI: My inner emo kid loves this. I do, however, feel that the drums are a little busy for my liking. My brain wants more variety/flow in the percussion. Also I def would prefer human vocals.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

James Owens wakes up to a win, again!
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Lunkhead wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:54 pm
James Owens wakes up to a win, again!
What a great way to wake up! And thanks again to CynicalMonkey for those inspiring lyrics.
CynicalMonkey
A New Player
Pronouns: He/him

Post by CynicalMonkey »

Any time - you did a great job with them and from the reviews I read I am going to wear my “add some sweet sweet Doorslike Organ in there” as a badge of pride :).

But you did the hard work turning a song written like Nickelback into something that sounded like a forgotten gem from the late sixties.
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders

Post by jeff robertson »

Duncan wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:45 pm
Flxxvm Fru.... - Ceasefire Now. I think this is a collab.
It was not a collab. If the reason you suspected a collab was the vocals sounding so different than my prior entry, that is entirely due to my voice being shredded by the time I did this take. See, the song was originally supposed to be something like this:

https://jeff-robertson.com/flvxx/sf/caos_wua.mp3

I wore my throat out doing the vocals for that version. I scrapped it not because of the vocals, but because I am not a technical enough guitarist to do the kind of solo this was building up to. Late in the game I totally started over.

RE: that filename, "Chosen Assholes of Satan" was a band name I thought of before Flvxxvm Florvm, seemed like an appropriate song to resurrect it.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

That's my favorite song of the year so far...
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.