BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

ST 22 Round 3 Reviews

Post by BoffoYux »

ST22.3 Reviews and Rankings - Substitute Judge Owl

Here are your rankings from owl, a past SpinTunes competitor who also has multiple Song Fight and Nur Ein wins under her belt, both solo and as a member of Vowl Sounds. Owl has very generously stepped up as a substitute judge since Zoe Gray was unable to judge this round.
owl1.JPG
owl1.JPG (18.52 KiB) Viewed 172 times
I haven’t been following along for this Spintunes so far, but it’s kind of fun to just dive in as a guest judge most of the way through the competition after everyone’s already gotten warmed up. Strong round! It was actually quite hard to judge since there were so many excellent songs, and I kept moving songs around in my rankings up till the 11th hour. I admit I had a moment of dread after agreeing to guest judge this when I read what the challenge was, thinking it would lead to a lot of unlistenable, choppy songs, but was pleasantly surprised that there were so many tunes that made the challenge element non-obvious.

The Pannacotta Army—super appealing musically, the refrain instrumentation is beautiful—love the combo of the sort of snaky 50’s-type lead line, acoustic guitar and bubbly synths. Weirdly, it kind of reminded me of Jump by Van Halen and I can’t even explain why. I have to say am not all-in on the abrupt stops in the music—I get wanting to give it some space but the twisty backing track just has the kind of groove where it feels like it should continue. The verses I think suffer a bit from the same issue as the majority of these songs, where they seem a bit disjointed or random because of the constant changes in the non-refrain sections. All in all, very nice, though.

Stacking Theory—love the lyrics in this song, all the recurrences of the circles gave my brain a nice little ping of pattern recognition, and the black hole imagery in the chorus stuck with me as I listened through the rest of the album. I was listening in the car at first and interpreted this as a song to the person’s partner (I think it’s the “our kids” line) but the brother angle is more interesting, I think. It has an appealing, oppressively melancholy Radiohead feel to the music but the processing on the vocals feels too harsh to me at times; I know this is kind of your signature sound, but I think it could use a bit more softness. Feels coherent throughout, not so much of the disjointedness of many of these tunes.

Joy Sitler—love this, I’m a sucker for this kind of song and you do it really well. I love the slant rhyme of “fullest” and “jealous.” This feels coherent (though maybe the verses aren’t different enough?) and has a very charming personal feel that really captures the complicated emotional landscape you’re describing. I like how the exes feel like they are smushed into kind of an oddly specific monolith here, possibly playing on the rondo structure with a theme of some things changing and some always staying the same. I assume the twin-size mattress is itself a Front Bottoms reference but I don’t know the various bands enough to know if I’m missing other little lyrical references. The top few songs in my rankings bounced around a bit, but I ended up ranking this highest in the end because it felt honest and sincere and like something I’d listen to outside this contest, and not like something purely written for a prompt.

Cheslain—the wah guitar is fun and sounds great. However, this feels a bit scattered and unfinished to me—I would have liked more non-refrain parts, and I think maybe a tighter chorus would have worked better given that it’s the only repeating element. The lyrics don’t rhyme much (arguably shook/put rhyme, I guess) which gives them a bit of an improvised feel rather than something carefully crafted. It’s a nice vocal performance and production, but I’m not hugely into the genre, it kind of has a late 90’s funky pop-rock feel to me—Dave Matthews Band or 311 maybe, I don’t know.

Triangle—ok, this is different. I’m not against it being experimental, but I don’t find it to feel especially purposeful or interesting to listen to—doesn’t justify its 3-minute runtime. The “found no one” part has a cool melody and I like the little keyboard motif. The issue I think I have with this song is that it has a lot of space in it but not enough to feel fully ambient or relaxing; I think I’d prefer it to either go in that direction (maybe with more held pads underpinning the sparse elements to glue them together?) or get a bit busier, with less space between the samples, as I got bored a bit in the end. It felt noodly rather than deliberate. However, various individual elements were cool and interesting, so I could see it working just fine exactly as is for someone with somewhat different tastes from me.

The Moon Bureau—this has such a great, hooky chorus. Maybe the best chorus of the round. The lyrics are simple but work well as a meta play on the rondo form with all the turning and changing and returning. Really enjoyed this one, to me it feels kind of like a lost classic from some 80s movie soundtrack. I especially dig the call and response vocals towards the end. Nice jangly production and harmonies.

The Alleviators—lots of great little details in this song—the high part in the melody in Episode 1 is great, the half-time drop back at the end of Episode 2, the phrasing of the lyrics in general is really well done. I like the “mess of intersecting lines” lyric. The feel of the song is a bit mid-2000s adult contemporary to me, so I don’t entirely enjoy it from a genre point of view, but I think it’s well-crafted songwriting and the performances are solid. Cute cameo!

Hot Pink Halo—I had to look up “norks”—I wasn’t familiar. Now that I know that, it’s a clever title! This has a fun groove. It’s not very loud in the mix, but I really loved the high-register funk guitar bits in the chorus. I don’t think I would have pieced together the backstory from what’s actually in the lyrics. I’m trying to decide how important that is in this case—I do feel like you lose so much from the song if you don’t have the liner notes explaining the lyrics, so ultimately it fell a bit in my rankings compared to the more standalone tunes. The spoken word parts help glue together the musically disparate parts where they appear, so despite some abrupt transitions this didn’t feel too disjointed to me.

Ironbark—the pesto lyrics are weird and funny and instantly appealing, and you have a knack for sounding quizzical and resigned but also very warm and pretty with your vocals. The bluesy chorus progression is great. At times the instrumentation feels a bit too self-consciously quirky, and definitely has a pasted-together feel with the different arrangements, but I just have such a soft spot for the various elements you use here—the harpsichordy verse is my favorite. It’s restrained, and I sort of wish it had taken off a bit more in terms of energy level at some point, but on its own terms I enjoyed it a lot and it felt like a song with a lot to say in a deceptively small package (jar?)

Governing Dynamics—great guitars, the combo of clean arpeggio, fuzzy lead and clicky bass is really nice. (Although the lead tone sounds a bit thin once it gets to the guitar solo section where it stands alone; I wish you’d switched to something a bit beefier there.) The vocals have good feeling, but the lyrics feel a bit generic to me and there are a few spots I think could use a bit of adjusting in terms of pitch. This is one of the most “invisible” in terms of the rondo form—I think it really works as a standalone song.

glennny—This one overall feels very novelty song to me, unfortunately. I like the lyrical conceit of the three “put your hands up” images, but also I have seen this as a Venn diagram meme and I think you’re missing a verse about “Mom taking off your sweater.” The “reach for the sky” backing vocal response harmonies are great. I also really like the chord progression you go into in the bank robber verse. Going back through those parts for the solos in the outro feels a bit long, but I think helps tie it together as a whole.

Temnere—this feels very theatrical and operatic. Impressively epic arrangement. I like the parts where it almost veers into Queen territory… I guess if I have to listen to Star Trek filk, disguising it as something like ‘39 by Queen is a pretty painless way to do it. The chuggy metal guitars are fun. I do think the sample VO part goes on really long and the instrumentation build behind it isn’t interesting enough to justify it. It’s also a sort of weird effect at the end because it feels like it’s building back up musically but then fades out at the same time, like a guy wearing both camouflage and hi-vis orange gear at the same time.

Sober—the performances were solid, but writing-wise, this was definitely one of the more disjointed-feeling songs for me. There is obviously a lyrical throughline, but the really abrupt transitions and musical shifts were giving me whiplash. I think the processed vocal in the “child” verse was especially jarring. I also could not figure out at all what the third verse had to do with anything until reading your liner notes. I think a crumb of context within the lyrics would be helpful if you want people to get that without the notes (or maybe you don’t care, which is fine too—but it feels more in the story song tradition than something meant to be cryptic).

SHADOWS

Falcon Artist—I don’t really get the point of the misspellings, and the lyrics feel pretty tossed-off/generic to me other than the misspellings. I do like some of the strange chord progressions you use, and the performance and lo-fi recording quality are appealing to me; it kind of feels like it could have come off one of those Smithsonian Folkways song collector albums.

1823295e-8371-45c6-b842-30d11b12b6aa—I will probably enjoy procedurally generated music more when I’m a brain floating in a jar on a generation ship hurtling away from the smoldering ruins of Planet Earth and have infinite time to contemplate amusing algorithms. It was fine, I guess. I think having some explanation of the ideas behind your code would have helped.

See-Man-Ski—the level of delay/reverb on this is wild, and I don’t think the production quite fits with the genre. Same with the vocal, you sound pretty emotional here, almost overwrought, particularly in the “nail another coffin” verse, but the lyrics seem to be evocative of a melancholy, quiet scene, so it left me kind of confused about what mood you were going for. I think the lyrics are really lovely and almost painterly, but for me, the music just doesn’t support them well even though both are good on their own.

The Dutch Widows
—I did a lot of listening to this round while in transit this last weekend, and I’m embarrassed to tell you how many times I heard the chorus as “like a substance down the loo” (the lines about water and floating and so on didn’t help) and was thinking “it’s so pleasant and hooky as a whole, why did he make that weird, crass toilet humor decision in the lyrics?” There’s a lot going on constantly in the production here and it’s a little fatiguing to listen to, but I like the songwriting—the chorus is catchy and poppy (and not actually poopy, as I’d originally thought), and the lyrics have some interesting things to say, with a coherent central metaphor.

Ménage a Tune—this is inaudible next to the other songs—what are you using to record? Seems like some kind of DAW since you have the Twilight Zone samples, but if so, maybe you could revisit your settings and make it a bit louder. I remember this Twilight Zone episode and this is a fun point of view to take, but it’s pretty hard to make an a cappella song like this stand on its own successfully. Harp seems like an interesting if unusual choice for instrumentation if you revisit this later, but I would love to hear it as a full orchestra production in the style of a 1950’s sitcom theme (along the lines of this: My computer is a 1950s orchestra | VI-CONTROL)
BoffoYux
Panama

Re: ST 22 Round 3 Reviews

Post by BoffoYux »

ST22.3 Reviews and Rankings - Tunes By LJ
Here are your rankings from SpinTunes 21 Champion Tunes By LJ:
LJ2.JPG
LJ2.JPG (18.05 KiB) Viewed 171 times
The Pannacotta Army - This Can’t Be Love
You’ve set the bar incredibly high with your prior submissions. While this song falls a bit short of the mark, you’ve delivered some great moments here. I’m hearing Graceland-era Paul Simon in your chorus, particularly the guitar work, which sounds fantastic. The bass is a little boomy in the toms though, and the alternating between the full instrumental and quieter vocal sections is a bit jarring, like something doesn’t quite flow properly between them. You’ve got clear variety between verses - vocally, melodically, lyrically, and even the mix, though the muffled verby muddiness of verse 3 is a little much. The final chorus has a few polishing touches that help it feel like a well-earned climax despite being the fourth repetition. Your lyrics in this one are a bit lacking - while “this can’t be love” is a catchy and effective refrain, the rest of the lyrics feel a bit too smooth and textureless, and after a few listens I didn’t have much to hold on to from the verses. Overall a fine entry that doesn’t quite make the cut for me in a difficult and highly competitive round.

Stacking Theory - The Ballad of the Black Hole Brothers
You’re back with another mournful and beautiful song, infused with deeply personal emotional gravity. The lyrics are simple and direct and quite beautiful at times, collapsing decades of connection and relationship into a few short verses. Instrumentally this was tight and well produced, lush guitar and washy drums, and some very cool soft glidey synths. I also really enjoyed the harmonizer effect on your vocals in the third verse (I actually can’t tell if that’s two takes layered on each other - whatever it is it sounds great). I found a lot to like in this song, and you certainly fulfilled the challenge, but the biggest thing holding it back is the slow tempo. It’s a pleasant sound, but the melancholic theme paired with the slow and methodical pace makes it a bit of a tough hang on repeated listens.

Joy Sitler
- The Front Bottoms
You have a fantastic voice and an impeccable sense of style that comes through so clearly here. I love how personal and vividly realized this is - the specificity on display really exhibits your confidence as a songwriter. Great vocal performance, great guitar work, great lyrics. The hard thing about a challenge like this is that it demands variety, and the simplicity of your chosen genre works against you here, at least in comparison to your competitors. That being said, you’ve handled that setback masterfully, providing a stark and noticeable contrast between verses that still aligns to a coherent theme. While others had more room in their soundscape to play with variations across instrumental and vocal treatments, you make do with a very minimalist setup and you deliver on it with aplomb. This is my favorite entry from you yet.

Cheslain - Not Losing Sleep
This is an amusing distillation of political nihilism, casting off the revolutionary ambitions of youth and settling into a detached indifference that tends to come about with the comforts of age. I found it a little too relatable and it tickled me greatly. In keeping with your other submissions this is an absolute masterclass of instrumental sound design and mixing. The wah pedal rhythm guitar excels as the instrumental centerpiece of the chorus, adding a frenetic momentum that complements the high energy vocals. For that matter, the guitar work throughout is phenomenal, and the solo at the end really shows off your skill. A fantastic entry overall with one glaring problem preventing a higher score: you’ve submitted only two verses and three choruses, which leaves you one verse short of the challenge being fully met.

- Found No One
You are the odd one out in this competition on genre grounds alone, but that doesn’t stop you at all, does it? There’s an undeniable center of gravity in this community that tends to reward songs with conventional structure and appeal, and to your credit you are completely unaffected by it. You make your own gravity. Some of the softer synth sounds (and the song’s obscure internal logic) remind me of a modern take on Boards of Canada, though I’m admittedly not well-versed in this territory. I’m not really sure I have anything to offer here in terms of feedback, you’re operating in a postmodern musical substrate that doesn’t really merit objectivity, at least none that I feel confident giving. I will say that I didn’t feel alienated by this as I often do with similar compositions - you’ve kept it pretty grounded in recognizable sounds and melodies that never feel too intellectual. I guess it meets the challenge, but you’ve highlighted the core problem of purported objectivity in a “songwriting competition”, which is ultimately just aggregating the subjective opinions of a few judges with fundamentally similar pop-derived musical taste. I enjoyed this, but I think you’ve missed the boat on what merits admission to the final round. Pretty cool stuff though!

The Moon Bureau - Turn Around Again
You did a great job cramming a lot of song into two and a half minutes. Keeping the chorus short and simple was a smart move, and the varied directions of each verse merge back into it nicely. The instrumental sounds great, guitars are neatly layered and well-performed, drums are clean and punchy. Lyrically this song came up pretty short for me. I described your previous entry as a “mopey paint-by-numbers breakup story” and unfortunately I think that critique can also be applied here. I’ve heard this story a thousand times already, and you haven’t really added anything new or interesting to the formula. You are obviously a talented songwriter but it still sounds to me like you’re striving for emulation rather than original ideas of your own.

The Alleviators - A Trick of the Light
The vocal melody on these verses is just impeccable - you both have a remarkable sense of confidence in your melodic choices. “Turn it up and drown it out” in that first verse has such a great sound. You managed to make the verses quite varied, moving all over the scale and between octaves, but without sounding too scattered or improvised. The vocals really are the star of the show here, as the instrumental is otherwise pretty simple. Clean and straightforward rhythm guitar is perfectly balanced by the piano in the chorus. Really great work, confidently delivered, and a masterful showing from Beka in particular on those vocal melodies!

Hot Pink Halo - Exquisite Norks
Wow, a syncopated groove right at the top! At least someone around here has a sense of rhythm... I really liked the energy in this, bubbly and infectious, warts and all. A goofy and weird take on the challenge that sort of trades musicality for a series of divergent vignettes. I appreciate what you tried to do here, though I think it works better on paper than it does in practice. After a few listens I had to go back and scrutinize your bio to understand what was going on, the song doesn’t really stand on its own without the explanation (which I found quite hilarious and original!) I think the vague lyrics combined with the pretty radically diverging verses made this a bit too textureless, and after a few listens it still feels a little hard to follow. The interesting time signature changes get lost in the shuffle - I missed the 5/4 happening under your spoken word vocals, I didn’t even notice until I read your bio. All in all a fun and original attempt that didn’t quite stick the landing in a highly competitive penultimate round.

Ironbark - Insignificant
Your signature composition style never fails to confound and beguile me. This song ambles and waddles along, asking big existential questions and pairing them with unabashedly goofy instrumentals. While it lacks the emotional depth and auteurish gravitas of your prior submissions, it nevertheless feels distinctly part of your aesthetic repertoire, with familiar accordions and organs opposite rather jarring clavichords and wompy synth patch melodies. I loved the callback to pesto at the end, circling us back around to the start - a sort of thematic rondo I suppose, at least geometrically. Your undeniable charisma cuts through the corniness, and I can’t resist liking this more than I feel I should. At this point I may just be an Ironbark stan. A Barkie? Whatever, count me in for more.

Governing Dynamics - Aura
Anytime I hear adoring lyrics addressed to a nameless “you”, I have to stop and ask: is this a song about a love interest or a song about Jesus? It’s not always easy to tell! This song had me pretty perplexed until the third verse (people don’t usually threaten to leave Jesus if he doesn’t “choose” them). Still, the imagery throughout was just ambiguous enough to distract me from the love song you attempted to write here. Instrumentally this was your usual rich alternative style, but it felt a little too drawn out to hold my interest, especially with the length of the chorus and the slow tempo. You do offer some dynamic variety between sections, with vocal melody jumping between octaves and intensity fluctuating. The challenge is certainly met, and it's not a bad song by any stretch, but it lacks the full commitment I was hoping for.

glennny - Put Your Hands Up
This is exactly what I wanted to hear this round: a full commitment to the challenge, musically and lyrically and thematically. You left it all on the field. The venn diagram concept you chose is a stroke of genius, perfectly aligning to the rondo form and providing an interlocking geometry to the lyrics - especially the chorus, as “reach for the sky” gains new meaning with each repetition. The instrumental foundation varies across verses to align with the lyrical theme: synth arpeggiator and goofy record scratch; church organ and “choir”; guitar plunks infused with heist-thriller chromaticisms. You even incorporate these separate elements discreetly into each chorus, which further helps the various sections blend into each other. This was a collection of risky decisions that pushed you musically in several new directions and paid off in spades. To top it all off - and perhaps most importantly - it's a damn good song! The chorus is a pure pop earworm, fun and upbeat and catchy. The guitar solo coming out of the bank robber verse back to the chorus gives me goosebumps each time I hear it, a simple melodic sequence over a key change that sounds perfectly natural and effortlessly cool. I am very glad I don’t have to compete against this! Welcome to the podium!

Temnere
- Voyage Home
As someone with only surface-level understanding of Star Trek this song was pretty alienating for me. Usually these fantasy songs create their own mythology or lean on tropes that don’t require the listener to understand some deeper lore. I almost started googling who these people are but decided I shouldn’t have to do that to enjoy a song. Instrumentally this is strong as ever, and the mix in particular is top notch, perhaps the cleanest and fullest I’ve heard from you yet. The divergence between vocal and guitar melody on “Plasma is burning / warp core is churning” is a little distracting, especially since those melodies otherwise track each other carefully. The slow buildup during the monologue section is rich and beautiful and evocative, so well done, but that whole section goes on a bit too long. I found a lot to like in this song but I just couldn’t really handle the subject matter, and I wonder if a more generic sci-fi setting with the same story beats would have been easier to follow for me.

Sober
- Greater than the Sum
You’ve done a remarkable job on this, covering a ton of ground, creating an expansive odyssey that showcases your considerable talent. Flawless instrumental performance per usual, love the panned banjos and the chromatic descending chord progression. Each individual section stands out from the rest in myriad ways - percussion, mood, lyrical perspective, tempo, even instrumental style and mix. The muted 7 chords in the 3rd verse blew me away (of course they did), that’s a sound and style I haven’t heard from you yet. Each section masterfully blends back into the chorus with that signature drum patter, and you manage to make the chorus feel new each time, with the third and final serving as a building emotional climax that deftly caps things off. Exactly what I wanted out of the challenge, a series of unique creative ideas stitched together into a coherent whole. You’re on my podium for the round, fantastic work!
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

ST22.3 Reviews and Rankings - Josh HelfinSiegel
Here are your rankings from Josh HelfinSiegel:
Josh3.JPG
Josh3.JPG (18.33 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Josh's detailed reviews can be found on this spreadsheet.
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

ST22.3 Reviews and Rankings - Valerie Polichar
Here are your rankings from Valerie Polichar:
Valarie3.JPG
Valarie3.JPG (18.3 KiB) Viewed 170 times
All of these songs had some great stuff in them. All were flawed. Obviously, writing a rondo in a week while still creating a song that, either by lyrics or music or both, connects to the audience is no small ask, and everyone here, yes, everyone, even if I rated you last or put a lot of criticisms in, deserves to be proud of your work. I listened to every track at least six times, and that close listening will always yield nitpicks. But I also enjoyed listening to all of these songs, and I think you are all terrific musicians. I’ll be keeping an eye out to see what you’ve done before and what you do next.

I used a rubric (which again, because this is a songwriting contest, weighted music and lyrics more heavily than production, arrangement, performance etc). But that rubric came up with a couple of many-way ties, so I had to sort it out by hand. In the end, what I found myself looking for was connection. Like writing, which can be private (e.g. a diary, or the poetry you never show anyone), once you launch it into the world, a song is a communication of sorts. To be effective, it needs to land emotionally in some way. It can do that through humor or wisdom or emotion or just the gut impact of certain chord progressions (which, of course, can vary between cultures, making true musical transcendence hard). Musical connection doesn’t have to be a gut punch — it can evoke joy, delight, identification, a wince of recognition. It can make your toe tap unstoppably, or give you the urge to sing or cry. There were a lot of clever songs here, but that by itself was insufficient for me. My top songs all connected hard for me*, either musically, lyrically, or both. That’s not to say the others didn’t connect at all, but in the end, the degree of connection made a difference. I’m not always good at thinking through the connection aspect of my own songwriting, and judging this contest will have an impact on how I work in the future. (* everyone’s mileage may vary, which is why there are five judges!)

By the way, I’m happy to answer any questions you might have about my reviews (feel free to PM me), and of course you’ll disagree with some aspects of what I’ve said. As you should! It’s your song. But if you do edit or revise a song based on what (any) judge has said in any round, I’ll be right there to listen to your new version, so please share it.

First, a brief look at my top 4:
glennny - Put Your Hands Up
WHY IT’S GREAT: super clever + super infectious (whole audience will be singing the chorus!)
WHERE IT’S WEAK: leans hard on spoken verses, so less verse melody

Joy Sitler - The Front Bottoms
WHY IT’S GREAT: real, vulnerable emotion clothed in catchy music with connectable lyrics
WHERE IT’S WEAK: emphasizing the wrong parts of the song

The Pannacotta Army - This Can’t Be Love
WHY IT’S GREAT: catchy, joyful music + near-perfect execution
WHERE IT’S WEAK: lyrics are missing the motivation

The Alleviators - A Trick of the Light
WHY IT’S GREAT: emotional connection created by both lyrics and music
WHERE IT’S WEAK: needs a haircut

The Pannacotta Army
- This Can’t Be Love — The instrumentation, melody and even a bit of the mood on the different sections is varied, while still mostly hanging together as a single song, though there is a change in the mix (percussion and FX on the vox, I think?) on "Suddenly the truth..." which creates a sound a little too muddy to go with the rest. The melody is delightful, and the touch of harmony on places like "I'm not afraid to listen…" is lovely. Performance of all aspects of the song is spot on and the song is appealing. The rhymes are a little suspect: I don't really love "movin'"/"delusion" and "got it"/"logic" even as assonance. Though the lyrics are fun and describe "the way love is supposed to feel" vs the reality of the protagonist successfully, there's a distinct lack of the person who's inspired this emotion in the song. The listener has no sense of the being who has thrown the protagonist's sense of their feelings so out of whack. There's something a little insufficient about a love song with no beloved. The abrupt ending seems random and doesn't serve the song here. That said, the music has a great sense of joy, the song is catchy and danceable, and the overall effect is very enjoyable.

Stacking Theory - The Ballad of the Black Hole Brothers — The chorus hits with a huge Pink Floydian sock in the gut (in a good way). The harmony, and the wide pan of the two vocals, is just gorgeous. The chorus lyrics have a classic feel while still being very fresh, but the verses are more variable. The rawness of the vocals serve the song well, and the abrupt ending works on this track. The verse lyrics are more variable. There's something a little odd about the interleaving of the mundane "hairstyle" and "way you guided a ball to a racquet" (er, surely that one should be the other way around?) with the serious "I wish I had the vision you had / I wish that I had your strength." "I celebrate the choices you made / and the growth from the seeds you have sown" sounds oddly formal against the rest of the song. It can be a little hard to understand the "spinning in the same black hole" (if it means depression, which it sounds like it does) in the context of the verse lyrics. The final chorus doesn't make sense coming on the heels of the broadly positive final verse; perhaps the lyrics should be changed? OR is the black hole they're spinning around in now their mortality — and if that's the case, you need to be more explicit about that.

Joy Sitler - The Front Bottoms — Solid Midwest emo! This track has the energy variation that your last track needed, mostly well distributed. Although your instrumentation is sparse (more on that in a moment), you've deployed it well, so that the different sections of the song are distinguished. The lyrics are both up to the minute and poignant, well balanced. The occasional pitchiness of the vocals is within the standard for this genre. Great application of the rondo form as a seamless track. A couple adjustments to the energy variation would help make the song land with greater vigor. (1) The second most powerful section of the song is the one that starts "But I can't remember the last time I spent my weekend outside the apartment;" your energy/volume should ideally drop back a little on the final phrase "I also miss Modern Baseball" to make that peak stand out. (2) The Midwest emo chorus as written is not the emotional peak of the song, so for balance this whole section could be a little quieter. That would let you really pull out all the stops on "So why am I stuck living in the past?" (which IS the emotional peak) and gain the value of the contrast. Incidentally (and, to be clear, I didn't take off any points for this), given more time to work on this, a more fleshed-out arrangement would be great — you are having to carry a lot of the shape of the song in your vocals; bass and drums would help.

Cheslain - Not Losing Sleep — The funky intro guitar is very appealing. You manage to keep the '60s feel of the song through a number of musical variations in the verse sections: commendable. The second verse is particularly lovely, and the final instrumental "verse" is an appealing shift in sound. (This technically meets the challenge — we probably should have specified that we wanted different lyrics for the different verses.) The lyrical concept is good, but "morons fighting dimwits" has the effect of pushing away your listener, and you lose the connection you were building. It's also a bit of a cop-out; there are better ways to phrase a frustration with both sides in an argument than calling them names. The doubled vocals on the chorus make it tougher to understand the words. Tightening the sync between the two voices might help, as might pulling back on FX and maybe some EQ work (your voice is perfectly clear when solo, and sounds beautiful there, especially on the second verse). It's a novel choice to end on a guitar solo as your third “verse,” but the abrupt ending doesn't do you any favors, as the song actually sounds accidentally cut off. (Also, fwiw, the intro riff is more compelling than the outro solo.)

- Found No One — A lot of great sounds in this, and a compelling mix that makes interesting use of panning. But because there's not a whole lot of melody, and not a large variety of sounds, most of the variation between sections leans on spoken word. Unfortunately, the lyrics are repetitive and, because they don't really pose the situation ('found no one') as a mystery, nor as humorous, nor explore possible reasons for it (to name but three possible ways to connect), they don't engage the listener. There's not much to hang on to or relate to (unlike, for example, your last entry). The track meets the rondo requirement, and has some fun to it, but it would have been nice to see more richness in sound and word.

The Moon Bureau - Turn Around Again —The verse lyrics are bright and, for an old story, fresh. The whole first verse, the phrase "My insufficient charm" in the second, "lately the vibe is off but i can feel it creeping back again" in the third — lots of great stuff here. That '80s pop feel you have running through this is very pleasant to listen to. But placing the harmony vocal so far off to one side is weirdly disconcerting; it sounds like someone is standing offstage and yelling the harmony from there, and it prevents the blend that would get you the most mileage out of the harmony. It also makes the harmony sound pitchy or off in spots in the third verse. At the end of the solo right before verse three, the guitar note is held at full volume too long and it fights with "Baby the lights are off." The verses do have the rondo-required variation from each other, but they don't have a lot of internal melodic variation, so they drag a little; much of the sung melody transits just 3 notes. It makes the song a little over-samey. Ending the song with the little jangling bells is very pretty.

The Alleviators - A Trick of the Light — This track is proof that one can employ the rondo form to create a rock/pop track that reads as completely "normal" (not a slur!)— there is no strain to move between the different sections, even with the fairly major shift in Episode 3, and the feel is consistent and well executed. The music is appealing and very catchy, and the arrangement is generally well balanced, with a good build at the start that pulls into the song effectively. The emotion in Episode 2 is very engaging. The outro of the song is effective (and Robin's quote made me laugh). Lyrics and 'story' of the song are strong. Good power in this track. Your voices always sound great together, and the combination of vocals/doubles/harmonies sounds terrific, but there are a number of places where it's not tightly sync'd, and for the effect you're going for, tightness (especially between the male and female voc) is critical. The female voice on the verses is a bit low in the mix in relation to the guitar, and the (I think? Left side) male voice sticks out slightly on the second repeat of the chorus and in Episode 3. The song isn't a long one, but nonetheless Episode 1 feels a bit too long — maybe because you aren't saying enough to justify the length. While the consistency of the track is admirable, more energy on the chorus repeats (the first one is perfect as is) would provide additional shape to the song. These small sync and mix details are probably (as with your previous tracks) the product of having to produce a song with multiple people in a single week; a few bits re-recorded and a longer time to spend on the mix would raise this to "radio single" level.

Hot Pink Halo - Exquisite Norks — Funny title. The variation of time signature and key adds extra spiciness to the rondo form here. Generally skillful job blending these disparate verses and choruses together into a cohesive piece! The lyrics are pointed, but may not make sense without the intro (not necessarily a problem). But by assuming your audience will get what's going on, you are also assuming they'll come along with you on the attitude of the chorus. That’s more challenging, since we’re learning the story as we listen. We're there by the end ("The kind of fun where we make fun / Of women having fun!" works well to tick us off!), but earlier on, it's tougher to buy in to the vehemence of the chorus. The stretchout of "-fore" ("before" in the chorus) is awkward. There are a lot of sounds/riffs/licks that appear and disappear very quickly, almost before they're completely grasped. This in some places works to illustrate a phrase, but in others feels like a missed opportunity or a bit of a grab-bag-throw-it-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks. One example: right after "and make it bad" there's an arpeggiated riff that might be interesting to stay with/explore longer; as briefly as it appears, it just sounds messy. On the plus side, the little register ding at "ca-ching!" is a very effective touch. Despite those notes, you've packed a lot into a short song here — impressive.

Ironbark - Insignificant — The contrast of your mellow voice with the bleepy/bloopy electronic accompaniment is fresh and unexpected. The cheerful, playful music makes a good background to the contemplative-yet-amusing lyrics, though it's almost too playful in points. The track reads a bit like a kid's song, but these aren't really kid's song lyrics, and there are points (D) where the instrumentation leans a bit too hard on the comical/childlike, while other sections (C, the bridge) hit at a good level for the adult novelty-yet-actually-serious song that it is. The final stanza is terrific, but the abrupt ending is a choice that may not serve the message (giving another measure or two for your words to be fully digested might be worthwhile).

Governing Dynamics - Aura — The intro guitar riff is attractive and the overall sound is pleasant — reminiscent of Paul Westerberg. The fuzz guitar response in the first verse, and the solo after "even try," are nice details. But because the melody in the (fairly long) chorus is repetitive and the melody in the verses relatively undistinguished, with only the octave raise to add interest, the song drags more than it should. The last verse is the strongest, lyrically and melodically. The vocals sound a bit sloppy here and there, pitch- and phrasing-wise. Putting aside the problematic nature of the lyrics (a song of adoration and suffering/abuse — even if metaphorical — is hard to pull off), there are some weak phrases here: "It would be unfair to deal out any blaming" is awkward, "With the fondest of goodbyes" sounds a little silly in the middle of a very serious stanza, and "I didn't feel the time passing by" seems anticlimactic after the talk of wounds and bruises. However, the "let me sleep" ending is a good choice and winds the song up effectively.

glennny - Put Your Hands Up — The harmonies (esp. in the "reach for the sky" response) are glorious and immediately infectious. The concept of this track is extremely clever and amusing. Varying the chorus vocal treatment from iteration to iteration is a great way to keep it from getting old, but it would have been nice to have a bit more melody on the 2nd and 3rd verses. Still, the half-spoken verses do work to tell the stories, and make a contrast with the more musical choruses. The final repeat of the chorus using the original vocal treatment ties a nice bow on the track, and the ultimate funky solo is a novel and interesting way to end the song. There are a couple of places where the vocal sounds just a bit off, most notably "I know you know why" on the penultimate chorus repeat. While the final instrumental section is great, the guitar solo earlier in the song is on the weak side. All in all, a very clever and catchy interpretation of the rondo requirement.

Temnere - Voyage Home — Lyrics economically tell the story, and the unusual topic is appealing. The multi-tracking on "unite as one voice" is great. Strong use of the rondo form to give voice to different elements of the story. Guitar flourishes, such as after "on my way" and "all escape," sound good, as does the decision to double the vocal with guitar on the chorus. Dissolve into synth notes on the last verse very effective. Instrumentation is well executed and this track has a well balanced arrangement. The Janeway quote in the final verse works, but would work better if it were a much smaller excerpt. Increasing the volume of the instrumentation around it helps somewhat, but it loses effectiveness in song form by going on and on, and the song ends on a low-energy note, an opportunity wasted after the high energy of the choruses and the poignancy of the start of the Janeway monologue. You could probably cut off a good 45 seconds of this, end on a strong note, and have a much more powerful song. Despite suggesting you cut the monologue, this is probably the only part of the song that makes a strong emotional connection. That's a concern; your impact leans too hard on someone else's words or delivery, and that's a weakness you may want to think about. You could tell the story in a way that connects without that lean.

Sober - Greater than the Sum — The lyrics of the 'verses' are powerful and relatable, though the connection between the first two verses and the final verse isn't made explicit in the song and remains, hence, unclear. The decision to change the mix style gradually of the three verses is an interesting 'add' to the rondo requirements and could prove quite effective, though it's offset by keeping the style fixed on the chorus. This makes the chorus increasingly jarring as the song goes on. It might be worth seeing what happens if you change the speed and the mix style of the chorus as you go, too, while keeping the melody/chords/lyrics the same. The instrumentation is highly enjoyable, even though it was apparently hard work — it does not sound effortful or awkward. The lyrics of the chorus aren't quite as effective, partly because of the "sun"/"sum" juxtaposition which feels like it wants to be a rhyme, but isn't, and partly because they lean on some tireder phrases. And there's something about the vocal treatment on the chorus (is it a slight slapback or maybe a little echo?) that makes the vocal sound farther away/slightly more 'produced' than the other instruments. It's a subtle thing but it would cohere better if adjusted.
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

ST22.3 Reviews and Rankings - Phlub
Here are your rankings from Phlub:
Phlub3.JPG
Phlub3.JPG (17.72 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Alleviators
- A Trick of the Light

Is this a rondo?

A: Chorus, the "no need to charge/.../everything all of the time bit".

B: Beka takes lead for a <episode 1>

A: Back into the chorus, not much different

C: <episode 2> indicated well in the lyrics. Beka on vocals

A: A variation of the chorus that's softer the first time through

D: <episode 3> Double Travis on vocals, and a cool atmospheric break

A: A more energetic take on the chorus, only ending differently into the brief "everything is gonna be alright" section.

Yep, this sure is a rondo!

This is catchy, I like the repeating "everything everything" that comes in the chorus. It's repetitive. While Travis is no slouch on vocals, Beka's are especially strong, especially when she gets the opportunity to take over. The only time in the song the vocals aren't super strong is that the intonation of the word "lines" at 1:25. And that's just nitpicking! Lyrically, I'm not entirely sure what narrative we've got. It's inspiring and a good ode to a strong relationship. The dynamic with that wildly building melody in the B and C sections is wild. The chorus ends up feeling relatively restrained by comparison. And the transition from the D section back to the A starts off kind of awkwardly. Like the other sections are so interesting, and generally have more unrestrained vocals, I find myself feeling like the chorus is biding time cause until the last chorus it never really matches the enery of the surrounding verses? The end sample makes me grin naturally cause my kids have said stuff like that to me.

Cheslain
- Not Losing Sleep

Is this a rondo?

Intro: funky riff

Chorus: basically the same funky riff as the intro, but with vocals.

Verse 1: different riff

Chorus: back to the funky riff

Verse 2: switch up, now it's slower and relaxed!

Chorus: back to the funky riff

Verse 3: a new gnarly phrygian riff for a bit, instrumental break

guitar solo: back to the funky riff until we get an abrupt halt

Well, I suppose that was a rondo. The third section felt a little under developed, as it was functionally just a short bridge leading into another short bridge reprising the chorus/intro chords...but since it's the C section, I feel like there should be more going on there. Something more adventurous in the instrumental, a solo, instead it's just kind of a new phrygian riff that...phrygians for a bit and moves on. Not much of a D in your aABACADaA*...but a D no less.

Production sounded great, very slick, everything filled out my headphones just as I would have liked it to! Lyrics are way bleaker than the funky instrumental suggests,but hey what CAN you really do? I guess -- hide? Your protagonist is resigned to his fate, caught up in whichever war or insurgency or civil unrest has engulfed his area. "Its the end of the world as I know it, and I feel fine" yet you're literally getting bombed...serenely.

Distance - Found No One

Is this a rondo?

BACADA, three choruses, three verses, I think this counts? It fit the challenge. That said, it wasn't immediately obvious when each of your sections started and ended. Upon closer examination I was able to pick it apart well enough, and since it fits the required structure, I must give you a checkmark for that.

Goodness, I thought I was being abstract with my UUID entry, and was curious how you would roll with this. This is impossible to really make meaning of. This is...goodness, it's original. The only two precedents I can offer for it are Returnal-era Oneohtrix point never and anything The Focus Group have been apart of, specifically Broadcast and the Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age, only less jarring and with a greater focus on voice and synth instead of a hodge podge of all kinds of unexpected sounds. It's also is one of my all time favorite albums, so that's a positive comparison. As for this song, I want to say it's psychedelic, but that doesn't seem quite right. Dissociative maybe.

I don't know if I could call this catchy in good faith. But it does lodge itself in my head. Who is there? Who did you not find? Were you expecting to find someone? What are the sips? Are you having a Milo? Some of the sound design in here is sublime. Is it a song? Well, it has amelody, I found one. And personally, I *like* full on experimental music, and think that you -- however inadvertently -- created something memorable that will probably haunt my subconscious. I adore this madcap style.

PS I played this for my wife and she says to me "this sounds like the stuff you were making back when we started dating, it takes me back!".

Glennny - Put Your Hands Up

Is this a rondo? You laid out the structure and it's clear as the listener which section is what. So yes, ABACADABD I'd say is a valid rondo form, by my understanding of it.

The cool synth coming in when you start talking about the DJ is a great touch. As is the organ that comes in when you start begging for the money. Really, the compositional touches that indicate the difference between two two sections in particular is great. The bank robber part -- well, I like how it gets more angular in the rhythm, but if you're a bank robber, you really don't sound very threatening! The robber should be more threatening, but he almost sounds friendly! Your cash grabbing preacher persona works better. The solo is dope, very well executed.

I love the concept you came up with that ties this together, I must say. Basing a song off of a humorous pi chart is a super creative way to come up with a song structure. I can bop my head along to it happily throughout.

Govering Dynamics - Aura

Is it a rondo?

A: manifests as an opening verse and what feels like a bridge, but right when I feel like we're gonna go into a big chorus the energy cuts back and

B: Half time beat, a lot more ambient in its structure, kind of feels like a bridge. Cool bends, and then after not very song we're back in

A: The first verse again in a different tense, followed by the same bridge again but sung higher.

C: Another half time beat, but a distinct chord progression. I like this chord progression, it's pretty spiffy, and then we're in

A: A guitar solo over the chord progression from the previous A sections, followed by another short verse that follows the same general structure as the previous bridge feeling thing.

D: Back to way slower vibes, a new chord progression. I like the bassline here, it grooves nicely. And before long, we're back to

A: Basically the other A's, and the chorus comes back again, sung higher and more passionately. Sort of extends into the outro with the same chord progression as the start of a new A section.

Okay, this meets the challenge undeniably. The production was great, and I love the chilled out alternative vibes that come with this. You play well, you sing well. The rhythmic changeups were pretty nice, but really I have one problem with this as a song -- the A section is WAY too long, and since it contains basically two stanzas that don't vary much, the second of which seems like it wants to be the chorus but never quite reaches a level of chorus energy, the end result is that the song ends up feeling bloated and oddly structured, rather than particularly compelling at any points. The B and C and D sections ought to have more meat on them, but they come and go so quickly before we're back in that super long A again. And I just don't feel satisfied with how often I have to hear that A section given its length.
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

Hot Pink Halo - Exquisite Norks

Is it a rondo? Thank you for writing out your structure, but fortunately for you it's plain as day when each of your sections starts and ends. Blatantly clear rondo structure. Your A section is catchy enough, and it functions very well as a short reprise and statement of what's going on in your B and C and D. Part of me wishes that it were a little snarkier, a little meaner. Since you're mocking these obnoxious literary dudebros, I feel like more venom should be in your chorus, make it sting a bit more! Anyway, I wish the B section was a bit longer...come to think of it, I feel like the C section would make more sense as the B section, as it even starts with a description of exactly what they're doing! And with the B section just jumping into them writing shitty smut, I feel like it would work better...later. D section feels appropriately timed, and the section about the fun is memorable. I feel like it could lead back into A a bit more, it's just like wham, chorus again!

As for the performance? Your vocal is confident, and this song has tons of personality. The instrumental is generally well composed, catchy, and I enjoyed listening to this one. This is one of your better songs I've heard. The song got me grinning at various points. Something about the madcap structure and eccentric half-spoken vocal delivery reminded me of the sort of thing Kate Bush would write, of whom I recall you admire. Yeah, this song was pretty cool.

Ironbark - Insignificant

Is it a rondo? Undeniably. Chorus is memorable, and I love how you're working out your existential crisis in the midst of a grocery store while buying pesto. B C and D are all undeniably distinct, quirky in their own little way. It's clear that much fun was had arranging the different elements of the song.

Structurally, the final A bridge should have been the outro, the last "wrapped up in yourself..." feel a bit superfluous and I feel like the song would have been better served by ending with that little musical flourish. All in all a minor gripe. This is well performed, memorable, with a nice groove to it that I can bop along to. The "when we are young" comes in a little rushed. But other than that, nah I got no technical notes for you. The tubas are really fun!

Joy Sitler - The Front Bottoms

Is it a rondo? Undeniably so. The A section referring to different bands each time it comes around was a nice touch, it was a good way to shake it up. The vocal delivery in the C section is great, though the transition vocally back to A is a bit awkward/rushed.

The vocal performance in this is dope. You really nail this style perfectly! It has a good build to it, a good use of dynamics, and it's got a catchy melody. I wish I shared your affinity for midwest emo, but I really haven't explored it all that much. I DO have a cassette of Sunny Day Real Estate's How It Feels To Be Something On in my car, and I absolutely adore that album. Pillars has spent some time in my "drum practice playalong playlist". I've never listened to the Front Bottoms though. I guess I should check them out now so I understand what your ex boyfriends like.

Strong entry, I liked it.

The Moon Bureau - Turn Around Again

Is it a rondo? BACADAE is definitely a rondo! And the sections are very clearly defined, you’ve got your “So I turn around again” chorus which keeps recurring, you’ve got your intro (B), you’ve got a second verse that feels more like a bridge back into the (A) again, then you’ve got a third verse (or is it a second verse) in your C section, back to the chorus with some additional backing vocals, and then an outro. Whew, all in the span of 2:28! Not only did you make a rondo, you added an extra section AND didn’t keep me sitting around forever.

Look, I love this jangly 80s/early 90s rock sound, and you executed it really well this time. Personally my only gripe with it has nothing to do with this song and more to do with the other songs you’ve submitted: I like your high voice when you’re jangling! And you sing in your lower voice! Is that anything worth complaining about? I don’t think so. It’s a textbook love song, kind of vague in who its addressing, so I have no idea if it’s based on real life or not…not that it matters. Well performed, executed, you got in, you got out, you jangled, you rondo’d, you get a thumbs up from me. 🙂

Pannacotta Army - This Can’t Be Love

Is it a rondo? The lyric sheet is very easy to follow, so there’s almost no need to really diagram it. I see ABACADA, a classic [and the requested] rondo structure. You’ve got minor variations between the A sections to spice things up, but it’s still undeniably the A section. B section is a nice change from A a section, a good chance in feel. The C section feels a bit short, and as short as it is, it feel really premature to have an instrumental break before it comes back into the A section again. D section is cool, and I like the filter on the drums, and I have the same general complaint about the timing of the bridge back into the A section from D→A as I do from C->A: the bridge just feels like it’s treading water.

I don’t actively dislike this song, but I feel like each of the non-chorus sections could have been done a little bit better. Between B, C, and D, only B feels sure of itself. And all in all this song doesn’t really stick with me. Which is a shame, because I still have your R2 stuck in my head. They can’t all be bangers. It’s competently played and sung, I just don’t find it to be a particularly compelling composition.

Sober - Greater than the Sum

Is it a rondo? A B A C A D A E. And with some crazy wild swings between each section. C really grabs, and I love the vibe of it. You've got all out compositionally with this one. The 'mmm' during the solo right before that brief ritardardo before you race back into the A section again is a great touch. I adore how all over the place this tune is. My brain wants to parse the word "wholly" as "holy", though I'm not entirely sure what that would mean. D section is a mode I don't think I've ever heard you in, and I love what you did. And then into the 3/4 8th note bridge where it feels like I'm listening to like Radiohead for a minute and then bam, back into the A section for one last round and what is this, an E section coming in for a cool outro? Chef's kiss, this is one of the best rondos this round.

Look. This -- and your last song for that matter -- brings out an adventurous side to your sound that I positively adore. You've got your core sound down pat, and you are branching out a bunch. Plus, the lyrics are pretty great, very poetic and evocative. These kind of rapid fire musical shifts are EXCITING and you execute them terrifically. I can't really criticize your mix, cause it sounds good. Vocals are superbly executed as well. Top marks.

Stacking Theory - The Ballad of the Black Hole Brothers

Is this a rondo? Yes it is, and you've helpfully annotated the difference between the different sections. And they're all distinct enough. It's a coherent song, with very poignant lyrics. I'm also gonna point out that when my mom met my stepdad, I saw his old house a couple times and he lived in a round house. Always thought it was the coolest structure and I haven't encountered one since! I'm not really sure what the big black hole is. Are you and your brother super depressed? You say in the description you and your brother are okay, but it sure doesn't sound like it! Or perhaps you're just musing on how much time has passed and totally feeling your age eand realizing there are likely fewer years ahead than there are behind? That's how I would interpret this song. I suspect that's a strange thing to ponder. But nothing lasts forever. Now you've got me pondering my own mortality. Never a terrible thing to ponder, at least I have my affairs in order. Hmm. Am I totally off base? Is the black hole a good thing?

Yes, meets the challenge, poignant, very enjoyable tune, I also like the alliteration in the title!

Tenmere - Voyage Home

Is this a rondo?

A: faster than light/./of our voyage home. seems like it also includes that fast paced chugging riff leading into the B section?

B: maquis//unite as one voice

A: the chorus again, followed by the same post-chorus riff leading into the C section.

C: new riff new rhythm

A: return of the chorus, abbreviated and without the familiar post chorus.

D: twinkly synth space synth comes in, with the slow build going into the cool slow atmospheric part, continue to fade out.

I guess this could be diagrammed as something like

A A* B A A* C A D

A totally acceptable rondo structure to me, and a bit more adventurous than most this round by varying the A sections up.

I can't really understand much of the closing monologue during the D section, you may want to bump that up in the mix so I can hear it a little bit better. I feel like the fade out goes on a little bit too long. Lyrically, there seems to be a progression of the story, but since I haven't watched Star Trek since my parents with through a phase with it when I was little, I have absolutely no idea who any of these people are or what you're talking about. Definitely a more compelling lyric for a fan. All I really remember is the guy with the cool eyegear. Data, was that his name? Anyway, the sections are clearly delineated, the composition is well, and I like the atmospheric style of the D section. It didn't really stick with me, for whatever reason, but it's competently done example of its style.
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

The Dutch Widows - A Rising Tide Doesn’t (Necessarily) Float All Boats [SHADOW]

Is it a rondo? ABACADA, so yes it’s undeniably a rondo. You’ve got your chorus as the A section. Then a bit of a tonality shift for the B section [close the window/…/it’s mine], though the B section feels a bit underdeveloped in terms of the melody…it just kind of floats around. Then we come back to the A. Moving into triple time for the C section, which sounds pretty cool but also a bit underdeveloped. That’s a really short verse! Then we go back into the chorus/A section. D section has yet another distinctive chord progression. Sonically it kind of reminds me of the B section, but it’s musically distinct. I like all the muted harmonics in the background. As with all of the other not-A-sections, it’s too short! So the end structure ends up feeling like AbAcAdA…which is a rondo, but not particularly satisfying?

Lyrically I like a lot of the lines here, and the chorus is pretty strong. Though I usually think of “a rising tide lifts all boats” as a phrase associated with economics – greater business/etc activity is good for everybody – it’s interesting seeing it used in this context. I’m not 100% what some of the analogies are meant to be, but that’s okay because it’s song lyrics. Instrumental sounds good, well produced. I don’t have a heck of a lot else to say, good tune.

Falcon Artist - I No You No [shadow]

Is this a rondo?

Chorus -> Verse 1 -> Chorus -> Verse 2 -> Chorus -> Verse 3 -> Chorus...abruptly terminated. Yep, it's a rondo! Verse 2 and Verse 3 were alike in that they both featured a shift to more major chords instead of the minor feel that prevailed throughout so much of the song, but the rhythm was different enough that the challenge was met.

A little more rhythmic contrast throughout the sections would keep things more interesting. It's a lot of the same kind of strumming with very little dynamic expression to it. Full bore strumming! The third line of verses 2 and 3 both feel like you weren't sure what to do with them melodically. Greater use of dynamics would make your compositions shine way more than they do.

Lyrically this is sweet, a nice sentimental love story.

Menage a Tune - A Good Life [SHADOW]

Is it a rondo? Seems to have an ABACA structure instead of the requested three verses. Unless that opening twilight zone (is that what it was?) sample counts as a distinct section and it's BACADA. But it's so short. I don't think this is actually a rondo. But it's also a shadow entry, so I guess that's okay that it doesn't meet the challenge?

What is this song about? Probably a TV show of some sort. The periodic snippets suggest something like that. I can't quite parse it. It's fun, pleasant enough. You have a pleasant voice. Who is Anthony?

See-Man-Ski
- Rundown Town [SHADOW]

Is it a rondo? A B A C A D A, with D being pretty short. I like the chorus, it has a great rhythm to it. Very catchy. I'm not super sold on the C section, something about it feels kind of awkward rhythmically and harmonically. But A is great, and I really like the faint backing echo in the chorus along with that bassline. It sounds pretty good to me. Also can't really make out what the chords are doing well during the D section, it's certainly pounding, but it feels a little sloppily constructed. But yeah, that A section is pretty terrific. I'd love to hear the C and D sections developed a little more...they sound kind of unsure of themselves compositionally.

Love that chorus though, terrific chorus!