The Office (US version)

Blab about the Boob Tube.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

The Office (US version)

Post by Caravan Ray »

Has anyone seen the US version of The Office? (I don't know if it's called The Office or something else)

The started to show it on telly down here a few weeks ago - I missed the first episode - and apparently it was so bad it was cancelled immediately so they never showed the 2nd episode.

Given the fairly sad history of US remakes of English comedies - I was very curious to see what they would have made of this one.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I thought it was funny.
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

Actually, the first episode of The Office (USA) is pretty much exactly the same as the first episode in The Office (UK). There was just some light localization from UK-centric jokes to USA-centric. But the rest was pretty much the same. The stapler in the jello, the boss "firing" the secretary, etc...

I liked it.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Tonamel wrote:Actually, the first episode of The Office (USA) is pretty much exactly the same as the first episode in The Office (UK). There was just some light localization from UK-centric jokes to USA-centric. But the rest was pretty much the same. The stapler in the jello, the boss "firing" the secretary, etc...

I liked it.
That begs the question - "Why is there a US version then?" Was it really necessary to translate "stapler in the jelly" to "stapler in the jello"?

(...and don't get me started on the Harry Potter books - Scorcerer's Stone!?! - crumpets being changed to muffins!?!? aargh!)
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Re: The Office (US version)

Post by Denyer »

Caravan Ray wrote:apparently it was so bad it was cancelled immediately so they never showed the 2nd episode.
They played the first two episodes on the wednesday, then the third on I think Thursday. They could have kept it up for one more week and the series would have been done.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

Caravan Ray wrote:That begs the question - "Why is there a US version then?"
Only the first episode was the same. The second was different.