Very Portable synth

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Very Portable synth

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I'm going to be traveling a lot for my new job, and I'd love to be able to write songs on the road to keep myself out of trouble. I'll have a laptop which can have Sonar on it, but I have no way to input into it. What I'd love is a teeny weeny keyboard that's essentially just a Midi controller, and then I'd use all soft synths on the laptop. I'm talking small and light, small enough to fit in a suitcase. Oh yeah, and cheap.

And while I'm at it, what kinds of Midi cards are offered for plugging in to laptops? How would this all work?
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

they make a number of different little midi controllers with a built in usb-midi adapter, so you just plug the keyboard right into the usb.

i have an M-Audio Oxygen 8, which I would definitely NOT recommend.

-craig
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

I am not a keyboardist, and have an Oxygen 8 which does what it does well and is small and lightweight. However, it's not a real keyboard. Imaging you using one is like imaging Coltrain playing Spud's midi sax.

Fluffy mentioned some small weighted key boards, but I don't know how practically portable they really are. Perhaps he'll chime in.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

I have an Ozone. It's basically an Oxygen 8 with an xlr mic input. I have a full-size keyboard too, but I'm a crappy keyboardist, so I end up using the Ozone for everything. I like it very much. The only thing that sucks is that it needs to be plugged in. But I got around that by plugging a battery into the AC adapter hole with an adapter adapter I got at Radio Shack.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
starfinger
Panama

Post by starfinger »

to clarify my antipathy towards the oxygen-8: mine has not been heavily abused, but at some point it started sending rogue pitch bend messages.

i mean, it just starts bending, randomly. it's really unusable.

boo on the Oxygen-8!

-craig
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I don't care if it's a good keyboard, I mean, I don't expect to be playing Beethoven on it or anything. I just want something that has actual keys, however small or springy, and that I can plug into a USB port or whatever. So something like this Oxygen 8 you're all talking about. So, do I need a Midi card as well, or if I plug it into USB will the software understand it?
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Try the one I have, the Edirol PCR-30:
http://edirol.com/products/info/pcr30.html
It's the bomb. Solid. Feels good to me.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
starfinger
Panama

Post by starfinger »

nope, just plug it into the USB. it would probably come with some usbmidi drivers.

i mean, my oxygen-8 pitch bends when i'm not touching the wheel. it's very cheaply made.

-craig
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

starfinger wrote:nope, just plug it into the USB. it would probably come with some usbmidi drivers.

i mean, my oxygen-8 pitch bends when i'm not touching the wheel. it's very cheaply made.

-craig
Maybe they built the Ozones better. Mine feels a little cheap, but everything works fine, and has for over a year.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

Dang. I love my Oxygen8. Because it's so small and... cute. I thought I'd just use it for quicky-input and fixes, but it's the only thing I ever use now.

It does feel a little chinsey, but I've never had a problem with it.
-- reve mosquito.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i have heard a lot of complaints about the relaibility/construction of the ox8 especially when someone's transporting it places, so i avoided buying one. check out harmonycentral.com for gear reviews before you buy stuff.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Hey Jim,

I just wanted to add that the Oxygen8 is made by M-Audio, who also make a cool little backpack to hold it and a laptop as well as accessories. It is USB and has drivers for Sonar to get the midi messages. It is probably your best bet. I've seen other little controllers at Fry's and such that are made for kids to learn how to play piano on their computers as well if you are looking for cheap. I personally think the Oxygen8 is the way to go, as you can get them used for under $100. Otherwise, you might just invest in a usb to midi cable for $30, buy something when you get to your destination, then sell/return it before you leave.

Be well,
Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
obscurity
Mean Street
Instruments: Keyboards (88-note and qwerty), guitar, bass & edrums.
Recording Method: Pod X3 Live & Yamaha 01X -> Cubase 5 & Komplete 5
Submitting as: soon as I see a title that inspires me.

Post by obscurity »

I dunno if they sell this over there, but if they do I can wholeheartedly recommend it:

http://www.evolution.co.uk/products/evo_mk425c.htm
obscurity.

"Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure." - Oscar Wilde.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

I'd like to second avoidance of the Oxygen 8. It is shit, and the drivers are shit. Mine works when it wants to, which isn't often, and once the drivers are on your system it takes an act of god to get them off.

Korg makes a new microcontroller with lots of widgets on it. I'd get that before another M-Audio product.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

The weighted keyboards Roymond refers to are not exactly "portable," except in comparison to other weighted keyboards. They're still a full 88-key thing, and weigh 30 pounds.

M-Audio's smaller spring-action keyboards seem decent, at least when I've played with them at Guitar Center.