If you admire Randy Johnson then you are a.... (BYF Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Bolio
DeepMind
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

If you admire Randy Johnson then you are a.... (BYF Reviews)

Post by Bolio »

He goes 6'10", that's big ain't it??

So sad they lost in the first round BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
Thornberry
Llama
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Recorder,, Vocals, Haromica
Recording Method: M-Powered Pro Tools 8 via Profire 2626
Submitting as: Thornberry

Post by Thornberry »

If anyone, who is not directly related to NYC or the surrounding area, happens to be a "Big Yankees Fan", well that is a tell-tell sign they just aren'ta baseball fan at all.
Bolio
DeepMind
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Bolio »

'Big Cowboys Fan' 'Big Lakers Fan'
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Thornberry wrote:If anyone, who is not directly related to NYC or the surrounding area, happens to be a "Big Yankees Fan", well that is a tell-tell sign they just aren'ta baseball fan at all.
To place that in an international context, I suppose that means that a "Big Yankees Fan" is the same as a "Big Manchester Utd. Fan" or a "Big South Sydney Rabbitohs Fan"
john m
Claude
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

re: Man U - exactly. Marginally the same with Arsenal, for a little while, but you hit the nail on the head.

re: Red Sox/Yankees out in the first round - short of my Indians winning it all, best thing that could happen in a year.

Seriously though, if Torre or Cashman are fired, Yankees are the worst organization in baseball. I hate the Yankees like any self-respecting human should, but I have great respect for Cashman for attempting to run a team the proper way (and being rewarded with excellent work by Small, Cano, Wang, and Chacon), and Torre for being able to take the least cohesive team in baseball and even getting them to the playoffs, much less put up a fight against the Angels.

Anyway, music.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

john m wrote:I hate the Yankees like any self-respecting human should
Ahhh - then a "Big Yankee Fan" must also be similar to a "Big Collingwood Fan".

BTW: wonder where the songs are?
Denyer
Grok
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

Caravan Ray wrote:"Big South Sydney Rabbitohs Fan"
what about russell :(
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
john m
Claude

Post by john m »

Caravan Ray wrote:Ahhh - then a "Big Yankee Fan" must also be similar to a "Big Collingwood Fan".
Or "Big Visa Fan."
j$
Gemini
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

[Off-topic]

I find it vaguely ridiculous that an Australian and an American are taking it upon themselves to tell us how fans of football operate.

For instance there are 5 London teams in the premiership, and Arsenal moved from South London to North London early on in their existence, so the idea that someone born round Highbury should support Arsenal whereas someone born in Archway can only support Tottenham is wank.

The term you both actually seem to be describing is 'glory hunting' whereby people claim to have always supported the team that is doing best that particular season. Well, boys, that's Chelsea. You can't move for people in those blue tops, that were maybe wearing Red and White two years ago.

But it's fine by me. Complaining about people being attracted to success is pretty unattractive, and usually preceded by jealousy of the team in question in relation to your own, less successful, team.

[/off-topic]
Me$$iah
DeepMind
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

I gotta agree with cashpoint there somewhat

I was born nowhere near either Highbury nor Woolwich, and yet a bigger Arsenal fan you will not find. Born and bred that way, family connections n that, But really americans and Aussies both play a game they call football, using their hands...WTF...surely they could never understand any part of the beautiful game, or much related

But more to the point.....

The music

or lack of.

The music
Denyer
Grok

Post by Denyer »

Me$$iah wrote:The music

or lack of.

The music
You can listen to my amazing song I didn't send in (too good) while you're waiting.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
Kapitano
DeepMind
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

Denyer wrote:You can listen to my amazing song I didn't send in (too good) while you're waiting.
What a good idea. While we're waiting for submitted stuff, we review unsubmitted stuff - unfinished songs, sketches and rough mixes.

-----
Denyer

Is there such a thing as a hip-hop horror movie? "Bad Brotha's Bloodbath". This belongs in the soundtrack.

What rhymes with 'Fan'? Erm...man...and Duran Duran. Okay that the lyrics written, now for music add raw scary analogue noises from the late 70s. Make sure nothing happens exactly on the beat.

What's a Boom Bap? An exploding burger bun?
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Denyer
Grok

Post by Denyer »

Kapitano wrote:Is there such a thing as a hip-hop horror movie?
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0245943/
john m
Claude

Post by john m »

Kapitano wrote:Is there such a thing as a hip-hop horror movie?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209095/
j$ wrote:But it's fine by me. Complaining about people being attracted to success is pretty unattractive, and usually preceded by jealousy of the team in question in relation to your own, less successful, team.
So frontrunning is attractive? Or, in relation to what I'm actually talking about, liking a team who eschews the tradition of the sport in favor of spending the biggest payroll in the game on mercenaries is attractive?

And excuse me for having an interest in football. I realize filthy Americans are supposed to eat their cheeseburgers, drink their watered-down beer, and watch boring sports like baseball and American football, but some of us like to look beyond the scope of pathetic stereotypes. (Some of us aren't even fully Americans.)

Shut up.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:[Off-topic]

I find it vaguely ridiculous that an Australian and an American are taking it upon themselves to tell us how fans of football operate.

For instance there are 5 London teams in the premiership, and Arsenal moved from South London to North London early on in their existence, so the idea that someone born round Highbury should support Arsenal whereas someone born in Archway can only support Tottenham is wank.

The term you both actually seem to be describing is 'glory hunting' whereby people claim to have always supported the team that is doing best that particular season. Well, boys, that's Chelsea. You can't move for people in those blue tops, that were maybe wearing Red and White two years ago.

But it's fine by me. Complaining about people being attracted to success is pretty unattractive, and usually preceded by jealousy of the team in question in relation to your own, less successful, team.

[/off-topic]
I find it vaguely ridiculous that an Englishman would take it upon himeslf to pontificate on a subject that he doesn't seem to understand.

No, I am not describing 'glory hunting' - you are completely wrong. I'm talking about the fashion and/or bigotry that comes with sporting tribalism.

The SS Rabbitohs haven't won a premiership since 1971, and have held a mortgage over the last place in the competition for the past few years - yet they have been for a while the hip' team to support As Denyer alluded to earlier - even Russell Crowe wants to buy them. Due to the huge number of media personalities who claim to be 'dyed-in-the-wool' Rabbitohs - the Rabbitohs are now the team of choice for inner-city trendoids who know nothing about the League.

However I suspect the Yankees may be less like the Rabbitohs and more like Aust. Rules team Collingwood. I don't follow the AFL - but it is common knowledge that amongst AFL fans everybody has 2 favourite teams - the team they support and 'whoever is playing Collingwood'. (Denyer could porbably elaborate further on the "Collingwood Magpies: An Antipodean New York Yankees" thesis)

So J$ - you probably shouldn't but in unless you have something relevant to say :wink:

BTW: Hope the songs come soon...
Bjam
Grok
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Andy-O
Y'know part way through this song I pulled the speaker cable out of my laptop, and your song sounds far better on my laptop speakers. The song itself though is pretty cute, a little dragging but certainly not too bad.

hillbilly
Hey, you're back. I like the idea in the lyrics. The guitars pretty nice, and your vocals are nice and clear, and the layered vocals are a nice changeup.

Kapitano
Not really working for me. The sampled quotes as a song is kinda like eh for me. Especially this particular one, makes me think "Oh not again". The music is pretty nice though.

Klownhole
I don't listen to much of this genre of music, so... yeah. But this is pretty good for what it is. The drums and guitar are very nice.

Link vs. Music
I like this. Very bouncy and toe tappy. Clever lyrics. This is a very cute song, and I can't think of anything constructive to say. Sorry.

Melvin
This is nice, the higer held notes make a very nice change to the guitar. The climbing doo-doo-doos are pretty nice, and yeah. This is a very tight song. The music is very Fountains of Wayney. Good job. But I don't like the fade out.

Phunt Caravan Ray
This feels very short. Not too bad. Nothing grabbed me.

Seamus
Nice tambourine. The guitar is nice, and the lo-fi-y-ness of it sounds pretty good... Nothing stood out for me, but it was pretty cute.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Seamus.
Llama

Post by Seamus. »

Melvin: This one I like. The kids need this.

Kapitano: I salute you. It works.

Klownhole: You're right; you rock harder than I ever will. How can I deny it? Impressive. I may have to vote for this. Stand by.

Links vs. Music: Shit, are all these songs better than mine?

Hillbilly: You got me at "no place for a hillbilly." Really. My wife, too. Good job. But was Kid Rock really on an eight-track?

Seamus: Was digging it much more on Thursday night than I am right now. Ken gave me that tambourine. That's right. . .Ken.

Phunt Caravan Ray: Award for best new groove to which I'm addicted goes to you. I went right back to this one after listening to the playlist. I don't even care that I can't make out the words.

Andy O: Nice and simple. Sounds good.

I need to think about trying harder. I'll return when I think I've got something.
j$
Gemini

Post by j$ »

Andy O - I like the tone on the acoustic very much. The lyric is essentially unmoving for me. I don't mind the concept but it's like emoting rather than emotion, or at least that's how it comes across. I love the keyboard. Overall, nice but not really exciting me. Sorry, because it's real pretty and all.

Hillbilly - Nice in itself, but as an aside you need more variety to your sound. And also being a city boy, I don't like the 'country mouse' attitude of the lyric, as there is nothing appealing to me about pastoral celebration.

Kapitano - I don't like trippy particularly. Reminds me of Salt-tank musically which is good. He said 'dykes' hur-hur-hur. Kind of, yessssss but ....

Klownhole - I'm not sure that the vocal melody and the tune come together all that well. Maybe it's just the mix. It comes trogether on the cool chorus thing pretty well ... anyway, I like the stooges feel to the music. Did you mention 'dead nose'? Needs to be nastier.

Links vs Music - cute as. A little like Carol Cleveland Sings covers Weezer. Needs mastering, doesn't really fill my speakers. Cute though. I like it - especially the gayness of it :)

Melvin - For more than a moment I thought LvsM was still going ... and by the end I am still not sure that you're not the same band. Unlucky positioning in the stream. toooooo long and i guess i am not gonna warm to the tourist shopping list round New York that seems to go on forever ....

PCR - What a good opening. the Residents want their sound back. Good vocoder - nice and rhythmic. Not enough focus to make this brilliant, but it's getting closer... I think you need to hate the concept of music more, rather than music in general - heh.

Seamus - Nice. Cute. But the lyric is half-appealing, half-whiny. Everything about the song is in place, and very well done, but unless you are a Yankee fan, whining about them is a bit unattractive. And that's coming from a point where I know next to nothing about them. Hey, I don't even know / care whether they are a baseball or American Football team. So how could this song talk to me?
Meatwad
Alpaca

Post by Meatwad »

j$ wrote:Andy O - I like the tone on the acoustic very much. The lyric is essentially unmoving for me. I don't mind the concept but it's like emoting rather than emotion, or at least that's how it comes across. I love the keyboard. Overall, nice but not really exciting me. Sorry, because it's real pretty and all.

Hillbilly - Nice in itself, but as an aside you need more variety to your sound. And also being a city boy, I don't like the 'country mouse' attitude of the lyric, as there is nothing appealing to me about pastoral celebration.

Kapitano - I don't like trippy particularly. Reminds me of Salt-tank musically which is good. He said 'dykes' hur-hur-hur. Kind of, yessssss but ....

Klownhole - I'm not sure that the vocal melody and the tune come together all that well. Maybe it's just the mix. It comes trogether on the cool chorus thing pretty well ... anyway, I like the stooges feel to the music. Did you mention 'dead nose'? Needs to be nastier.

Links vs Music - cute as. A little like Carol Cleveland Sings covers Weezer. Needs mastering, doesn't really fill my speakers. Cute though. I like it - especially the gayness of it :)

Melvin - For more than a moment I thought LvsM was still going ... and by the end I am still not sure that you're not the same band. Unlucky positioning in the stream. toooooo long and i guess i am not gonna warm to the tourist shopping list round New York that seems to go on forever ....

PCR - What a good opening. the Residents want their sound back. Good vocoder - nice and rhythmic. Not enough focus to make this brilliant, but it's getting closer... I think you need to hate the concept of music more, rather than music in general - heh.

Seamus - Nice. Cute. But the lyric is half-appealing, half-whiny. Everything about the song is in place, and very well done, but unless you are a Yankee fan, whining about them is a bit unattractive. And that's coming from a point where I know next to nothing about them. Hey, I don't even know / care whether they are a baseball or American Football team. So how could this song talk to me?
Nastier? Like we should have made it about bestiality? Because that's pretty nasty, by all accounts. I'm assuming no one really wrote songs about the baseball team. I'm fairly certain we didn't. I don't really know any more. What with all the alcohol.
j$
Gemini

Post by j$ »

Nastier musically ....
Egg
Mixtral
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

Reviews eventually. But while I listened the first time, I took off my headphones before the fight was over accidentally. When I realized this, I put them back on, and for a half-second, I thought that my computer had somehow started playing The Shins. It was Seamus. That's an interesting story, I think.
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
Kapitano
DeepMind
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

J$ wrote:Seamus - Nice. Cute. But the lyric is half-appealing, half-whiny. Everything about the song is in place, and very well done, but unless you are a Yankee fan, whining about them is a bit unattractive. And that's coming from a point where I know next to nothing about them. Hey, I don't even know / care whether they are a baseball or American Football team. So how could this song talk to me?
It's not about a sports team. It's about Yankees as in Americans, as in their army in other bits of the world.

There's probably a word for it - one that you as an ex-lit-crit-man would know. Lyrics about one meaning of Yankee intended to be taken as being about another. Synecdoche?
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>