Finding a collaborator/music partner

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Bell Green
Alpaca

Finding a collaborator/music partner

Post by Bell Green »

Hey, if this has been discussed somewhere else then please delete this thread and direct me there.

I don't really want to form a band as such in order to play live, but would like to find someone with a similar background and taste in music with whom I can work. Someone who lives nearby, so they could actually be present with me whilst we work on things together. But, the question is, how do I find them? Any ideas?

I can guess this is going to be a bit of a musical lonely hearts thing. I have worked with people that have been great musically, but we didn't really click socially. And of course the other way round. Quite often it can feel like one of us is directing the project and the other one just sort of following. I know there are many kinds of collaboration, but I know the one I'm looking for. Someone like me basically, but maybe plays keyboards rather than guitar, so has complimentary skills. About the same age I guess and the same amount of free time. Oh yes, and lives in South London.

So what do I do? Put ads in music papers? Ebay? Anyone gone down this path before? Cheers all.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
HeuristicsInc
Gemini
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Never posted an ad myself, but you could give a look at harmony central. London may or may not be sufficiently represented.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Future Boy
DeepMind
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Do they have craigs list in london?

EDIT: Oh look, they do: http://london.craigslist.org/
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I've tried Craig's List, but NEVER get responses to my ads. And those I respond to NEVER write back. So, clearly that's an option for someone better represented than I.

Here's what not to do (based on what I've done):
- state that I'm somewhat eclectic and trans-genre inclined
- look for creative people rather than "a totally rad bass player"
- state the desire to work virtually, with in-person meetings possible
- offer a website with my music freely available to determine if our tastes are compatible (this is probably where my plan went horribly wrong)
- expect there to be someone, ANYONE, out there who might be remotely interested

Do all that and wait for inevitable failure.

Who needs collaborators anyway? All it does is force you to compromise in order to "put it to bed".

That said, it's lonely on my own.
Last edited by roymond on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Future Boy
DeepMind
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Ha ha. It's true, I've never used craigslist for finding a band buddy but I've had to listen to brad and blue gripe about it a lot. Well, actually, mostly just making fun of people's listings.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
blue
Grok

Post by blue »

i wrote a best-of-craigslist post on finding band members:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/6927333.html

sos is formed entirely via CL. yes, it takes a long time - but so does just about anything. be willing to compromise, post lots of mp3s, and don't give up.

outside of CL (or flyers in your local coffeeshop / music store, etc), playing open mic things and going to lots of local shows is the best way to find musicians. it aint gonna happen sitting in your bedroom practicing scales.
erik
DALL-E
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

blue wrote:it aint gonna happen sitting in your bedroom practicing scales.
well shit NOW you tell me
bz£
Claude

Post by bz£ »

CL has worked out well for me, too, though I looked at the London version and it seems pretty sparse. Couldn't hurt to try it, though.

CL may actually be your best bet, because you can describe at length exactly what you're looking for. This increases the chance of no responses (a la Roy) but helps filter out the people you don't want. It seems like you have a pretty clear idea of what you're looking for, so a one-line classified ad is probably not gonna help.
Kamakura
Claude
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

blue wrote:i wrote a best-of-craigslist post on finding band members:
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/6927333.html
Some really good advice in there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
Bell Green
Alpaca

Post by Bell Green »

Wow. This sounds daunting yet promising as well. I used to be in bands a long time ago and started working on my own mainly due to band politics and basically the compromise. You have complete control when you work alone. But you have to motivate yourself as well. When I have worked with others recently it has been playing the role of engineer/producer and there is quite a different work ethic going on. There is this definite feeling of "being at work." I like that, but I don't want to go through all the band stuff again. Organizing jamming rooms, playlists, song rewrites etc.

But I'll check out this craigslist thing and see how it goes. As I said before, I seem to be able to find people that I click with musically, i.e. we can produce something worthwhile together, but don't really get on socially that well. We wouldn't really stay friends without the music, put it that way. Guess I need to keep looking. Cheers all.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
blue
Grok

Post by blue »

you know, IRC is a great place to find people to help with stuff, especially on-the-fly. there's almost always someone sitting in there with nothing better to do than wang out a bassline or write and read a half-page history of a wandering ninja tribe.

if you're just looking to make bedroom music with local people, you have to give up the preconceptions about how great or bad or whatever something is gonna be and just RTFO. it's all about the attitude.