Open Up and Let It All Out (The Red Door Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Edge of LA »

Anti M:
Nice tempo change up
I would so love to cover this song a-la Sunset Strip
Nice melody
You spoiled me. I crave harmonies.

Brent Seavers
Freakin’ awesome song! Ooooo la la la
I like that you’re not afraid of singing higher notes.
Ok, the song cyles the same way one too many times for me before the break.
I think the song could benefit from cutting back the doubled-up verses, and changing one of them up, either in tempo, melodic variation, or dynamic change.
This explains why I got bored last night listening to it. I couldn’t figure out why until listening to it this afternoon. This is a very cool song.

Count Awesome
cute

Luke and Ryan
The musical idea works for me for about 2 minutes. The chorus is a very nice germ of an idea that could be further massaged into a great song.

Master of Grip
Yeah, baby… oh, and then you start singing. Ok, it’s not that bad. I apologize since you actually have a melody, just a little out of tune and needing more tone. Reminds me of J$ whose voice I learned to become very fond of. Nice guitar solo. The music actually rocks me, but the production is tinny.

Melvin
Nice guitar theme. So very Josh Woodward. Ah, the theme moved to the piano. Everything a song should be in terms of structure…. oh and tone too. Nice sonic change up with crunchy guitar. Beautiful song. Love it. Who are you? I thought I had you pegged.

Morsel Choir
The opening progression is a nice riff/hook. I would accept a fade out on this at 3 minutes. I’m sure the length would benefit live performances when you have a captive audience. OK maybe 4:20 would be a good length compromise from the 5:23 it is.

Of Science and Number
The Red Door, I have heard this before: "Wise men say, only fools rush in, I CAN’T HELP FALLING IN LOVE WITH YOU" rip off. Oh, Andy already said that. Okay maybe not intentional, but a rip off nonetheless. Great recording. I like everything else about this song. Is there a pizza delivery guy in the brass section?

Raised by Wolves
Soothing. Nicely done.

Rone Rivendale
uhhhhhh

Those Meddling Kids
The musical creativity in your mind is evident in this song. Vocals are not quite your strength (yet?) so your attempt at vocal layering in the beginning of the song distracted me from the goodness in music to come. I think it is a good idea to step off your best foot with this song or at least add some instrumental support to your vox, because the vox sound just fine towards the end of this song.

Edge of LA with Buxtahoota
[quote]Melvin: This sounds a little more “Sunset Stripâ€
Maaah SPOON is TOO BIG! ----

http://moxieprophets.com
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Edge of LA wrote:Master of Grip
... Reminds me of J$
Hey, Andy, I'm not sure which of us should be more offended :)
Last edited by j$ on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Post by Andy Balham »

j$ wrote:
Edge of LA wrote:Master of Grip
... Reminds me of J$
Hey, Andy, I'm not sure which of us should be more offended :)
Offended? :? I was taking it as a compliment.
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Edge of LA »

It was definitely a compliment.

Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Anti-M
This is a fun song. I like the basic stuff. Hurrah for chicks.

Brent Seavers
This is cute. Very strong indie-pop(two wrongs don't make a right...) song. Is this a Jordan Seavers sibling/family member/something? Becuase, if so, oh man, Durand Siblings Vs. Seaver Siblings. (There aren't any other siblings on SF are there...?)

Count Awesome
I'm not a fan of the guy singing. Sounds like a really apathetic Marcus Kellis. I did like the laugh.

Edge of LA with Buxtahoota
Not digging it. It's very 'here is my guitar, here is my drums, here is my vocals, BOOM ROCK SONG!'. If you get what I'm getting at. Which you probably don't as I make very little sense.

Luke & Ryan
This is cute. I like the doubled voices. This is 5 minutes? If this was condensed into funny cute back and forth 3 minutes, I'd dig it. But as is I dig it a little. Not enough to make a moat.

The Masters of Grip
Oh wow, I totally get the J$ reference that Edge of LA made. This is like a non-adorable-J$. It's too standardized rock out of a box for me.

Melvin
Fun. Good driving song. I think I'd change up the percussion a bit. The doubled vocals are nice. Good job.

The Morsel Choir
Man, what the hell is with drums this week. Too long and non-changey for my liking. It seriously is the same thing for 5 minutes.The riff was good, don't play it 516 times.

Of Science & Numbers
Oh boy, harmony of doom. Wow, seriously that "Only fools rush in" song. I like this song though. Good job. I dig it.

Raised by Wolves
I'm going to go off to a special place now. Pretty song. I could see this music on that website... y'know the really cute one with the little soft animated games with adorable small animals... Yeah. That one.

Rone Rivendale
This is a good idea. And the music isn't too bad. But the singing is pretty apathetic. Get a singer to sing, not fast-read, for you.

Those Meddling Kids
The beginning started to sound like it was going into real emo-rock. And your vocals just back it up. Aww, and then it goes into cute fluffy music.

Some good strong songs.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Edge of LA »

Bjam wrote: Edge of LA with Buxtahoota
Not digging it. It's very 'here is my guitar, here is my drums, here is my vocals, BOOM ROCK SONG!'. If you get what I'm getting at. Which you probably don't as I make very little sense.
I get what you're saying. You just got 8 teeth pulled outta your head, and my song might be putting balls in your face! :-P Are you still on meds? :lol
Bjam wrote:The Masters of Grip
Oh wow, I totally get the J$ reference that Edge of LA made. This is like a non-adorable-J$. It's too standardized rock out of a box for me.
Mmmmm, rock out of a box! It isn't just for breakfast anymore! :lol:

HansGruber
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by HansGruber »

Anti-m: Solid song. Great voice, though the vibrato sounds just a little tense for my liking. I think I'd prefer the full electric treatment to the 'unplugged' version. This sucker would really rock with a bass, drums, and a little more anger (but keep it cool, like the Pretenders) What is that ringing overtone behind your choruses? Do you hear it? It sounds like a cymbal buzzing, but there aren't any drums...

Brent Seavers: Oh, cool...this sounds so 60's...I'm a total sucker for "ooo-la-la's". Clever lyrics. The rock video accompaniment in my mind is playing the Partridge Family backing you up. The only problem I have is with the audio clip; the knocks at the beginning sound like weird pops, and I think the song might be better off without it. Another totally impressive tune.

Count Awesome: Would you dress like clowns and come play at my kid's birthday party? I really like silly, demented songs...once. While the singing is not so hot, the song itself is actually pretty good; would love to hear it handled more seriously, in a country or delta blues style.

Edge of LA: Love the straight-ahead rhythm at the beginning, like to hear that continued through the chorus, I feel like it loses a little momentum when the beat changes. Great voice for LA punk - though it's lost a little in the mix. There's a lot of distortion which would be fine if it was only applied to the guitar. Good song!

Luke and Ryan: Ernie and Burt do bong hits! I'd like to hire you guys for the birthday party as well. The song's cute, I'm a sucker for call-and-response anything. And the ending's FUNNY! You forgot the Red Door!!!AhhhahahhahhahaPEWWWWWWHHHHHAAAAHhhhhhPEWWWWWWAAAHHHHHHHHHPEWWWWWWW! Classic.

Masters of Grip: I like it...it's a little lacking in dynamic, but I like your voice, guitar tones, organ etc. You get bonus points for live drums, even though it's not really fair. You lose points for "paint your red door black" :x I like musical derivation, not lyrical.

Melvin: Nice. You sound great - It's a little sweet for my palette, but I think it's a more original than last week's song. Maybe not - but like last week, I don't care. You're incredibly good.

Morsel Choir: Handclaps +5 bonus. 'Whoo!' +1000 pts. Great analogue synth sweeps +5. Vox -150. There's so much atmosphere in the mix, you could ease up on the delivery, and give 'em just a kiss or reverb, maybe some multitracking to help smooth them out. Overall, the song's a little too repetitive...and way too long. But there are some great textures in there - you're obviously full of great ideas.

Of Science and Numbers: You're pushing the threshold for derivation. You should also try Pachobel's Canon; it's just as catchy and universally rip-offable. Big points for the "Flash-based games lyric" really funny. Are those real horns at the end? I like 'em. You know everything sounds so freaking great, but it's sitting on top of fat elvis - just too glaringly obvious...

Raised by Wolves: Ok. I'm sorry I'm always writing what-sounds-like-what, but This also sounds a lot like another song (don't they all?) from the 80's. Or at least the verse - And it's driving me crazy, because I can't remember either the group or song title but damn it, I have the song in my head - someone please help :oops: Otherwise, great start...but it needs to go a little further.

Rone Rivendale: Again. Dude, there's bad-good and there's bad-bad. This is bad-bad. All of your stuff is mildly cute in an irritating sort way, but ultimately just irritating. Luke and Ryan are bad-good. A new challenge: Do one with no drum-machine back-up.

Those Meddling Kids: I didn't like this on the first listen, which is (in this case) a really high compliment. It's a little complex for my current mood, but that's my problem, not yours. Anyway, I love the arpeggiated guitar, sounding very African, synchopated into the prog-like arrangement. It's very clever and quite original. Really brilliant - I'd like to hear another go with tighter vocals, live drums, and a better mix...some elements distract from a promising elegance. You get my vote this week.
Evil never looked so good.
ofscienceandnumbers
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by ofscienceandnumbers »

Oh boy, harmony of doom.
What did you mean by that? Harmonies in general are bad? Those specific harmonies are bad? I performed the harmonies poorly? There are just too many harmonies? I'm not trying to put you on the spot. I was just wondering, because if whatever it is is real bad, I'll try not to make the same mistake in the future. Thanks.
Is there a pizza delivery guy in the brass section?
:lol: Nope, I've never been a pizza delivery man. I sure do eat a hell of a lot of it though.
Of Science and Numbers
ofscienceandnumbers
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by ofscienceandnumbers »

but it's sitting on top of fat elvis
I know, I really fucked that up. I'm really disappointed in myself. I was really happy how my tune turned out, until I realized that it's not all mine.
Are those real horns at the end?
Yeah, I actually studied trombone for a few years, but the trumpet . . . not so much. I have a hard time with pitch and endurance, not to mention that concert E (I guess it's an F#) really pushes the limit of my range on that thing.
Big points for the "Flash-based games lyric" really funny.
I know someone mentioned it before you did, too, but my goal in this fight was for someone to get that and comment on it. Thanks for that. I figured everyone here has to be somewhat internet-savy, so a few, if not most, of you had to have run across those. For the record, I do love that type of game, so my making fun of it was done affectionately.
Of Science and Numbers
HansGruber
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by HansGruber »

ofscienceandnumbers wrote:
but it's sitting on top of fat elvis
I know, I really fucked that up. I'm really disappointed in myself. I was really happy how my tune turned out, until I realized that it's not all mine.
Damn. I thought you knew what you were doing :shock: It's well done despite...
Are those real horns at the end?
Yeah, I actually studied trombone for a few years, but the trumpet . . . not so much. I have a hard time with pitch and endurance, not to mention that concert E (I guess it's an F#) really pushes the limit of my range on that thing.
It sounds good - I love them; I've made a few crappy attempts to use brass samples, it just always lacks the organic quality I want in the first place.
Big points for the "Flash-based games lyric" really funny.
I know someone mentioned it before you did, too, but my goal in this fight was for someone to get that and comment on it. Thanks for that. I figured everyone here has to be somewhat internet-savy, so a few, if not most, of you had to have run across those. For the record, I do love that type of game, so my making fun of it was done affectionately.

I got my start in the internut biz making those. Actually, it was with animated GIFs. Can you work those into your next song?
Evil never looked so good.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Adoring the Red Door...

Post by anti-m »

Anti-M: Blaaarrrrgh. This song MIGHT have potential but I’m having trouble getting past the production problems in it…I just deleted the beginning of a long-winded “I hate this, I hate thatâ€
beatlebrent
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by beatlebrent »

Bjam & HansGruber,

Thanks for the compliments, comments, and constructive criticism. This post was CLEARLY brought to you by the letter C.

It's tough for me to listen to my song, because so much of me wishes that I had more time recording/mixing this. It was one of those weeks where I spent my days in bed with the flu hoping my voice would come back so I could record this crazy song idea. It never really came back, but I got well enough it recorded and submitted minutes before the due time... Hence the lack of mastering. But hey, not EVERYONE can be a Jordan Seavers. He's my bro. And quite the talented one at that. I'm just glad I found this site cuz me and my crew have been playin' this game for about a year now before we found out its official. This site rocks.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

HansGruber wrote:the vibrato sounds just a little tense for my liking. I think I'd prefer the full electric treatment to the 'unplugged' version. This sucker would really rock with a bass, drums, and a little more anger (but keep it cool, like the Pretenders) What is that ringing overtone behind your choruses? Do you hear it? It sounds like a cymbal buzzing, but there aren't any drums...
Yes yes and yes! I would love to hear this full-band version, but I live in an apartment, and lack the knowledge / plugins to approximate a "fake band" as yet...perhaps in the future?

I think the buzzing/ringing overtone is a catastrophic combination of an EQing mistake, a bad choice in reverb, and some godawful phasing of the buzz inherent in my system. ("Yes yes! Now we see the buzz inherent in the system!")

I dunno where that vibrato is coming from... I didn't used to do that. I do have to turn off the heat when I record, which doesn't help th-th-th-things.

--Em
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

Don't get rid of the vibrato, Anti-m! I liked it rather a lot.

... of course, no matter what your voice sounds like, some people will like it and others won't, which kind of invalidates my opinion. I guess it's most important to sing however it comes naturally.
THIS IS NO JOKE
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Oh boy, harmony of doom.
What did you mean by that? Harmonies in general are bad? Those specific harmonies are bad? I performed the harmonies poorly? There are just too many harmonies? I'm not trying to put you on the spot. I was just wondering, because if whatever it is is real bad, I'll try not to make the same mistake in the future. Thanks.
Nothing bad, it's just... y'know, someone, Frankie possibly, I didn't really pay attention, did a big spiel on harmonies, and how they're oh so wonderful. I dig harmonies. And if you put harmonies, it's like you're pulling the "Well my 2 week old kitten with HUGE eyes and really really fluffy and cuddly fur just died, so this is my song to her" It's like... 'oh no you did not just bring that to the table.' So nothing bad. Just, you brought it to the next tier. Up a level.
Songfighter since back in the day.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Bjam wrote:... And if you put harmonies, it's like you're pulling the "Well my 2 week old kitten with HUGE eyes and really really fluffy and cuddly fur just died, so this is my song to her" ...
Not the way I do them. :)
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Re: Adoring the Red Door...

Post by furrypedro »

I’m having a little bit of a problem with the vocals
that's cool, my voice has sucked (and people have told me so) since I started writing which partly accounts for me doing way way more instrumental stuff than songs (which i also unfortunatley got ripped for in my 1st SF entry). I went over these vocals for about 2 hours to try and get a decent take and I know they still blow slightly; I've been getting some lessons but it's a slow process.

I'm trying to make music that makes up for my vocal frailties but when they sit at the front of the mix there's only so much you can do. I take it as given that the singing is the weak link in TMK songs so rest assured I'm well aware of the problem.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

Furrypedro wrote:
I’m having a little bit of a problem with the vocals
that's cool, my voice has sucked (and people have told me so) since I started writing
See, that's the thing, I don't think your voice sucks at all. Having not been 'round these parts too long I can't say whether you've improved with age or not, but I think you sound pretty solid!

What I'm reacting to in the vocals is the affectation -- and given what you've just told me, I think the affectations may be one of these compensation devices you're referring to.

Bebop has a point that you can't/shouldn't try to please everyone... but for MY money, I'd say you might want to try loosening your iron grip on your vocals... relax and let them be a little wonky, if they must be.

...and that's just my 2 cents, which is, again, worth about 2 cents!

:wink:
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

anti-m: yeah i like this, in a way. not sure why - I think i just really like the guitar bits and percussion, tho your voice is really good. up there

bseavers: this is ok, not sure about the stadium rock drums but what can you do. structure seems a bit too laboured, makes it difficult to stay interested. definitley something to work with there.

count awesome: not really what i'm in the mood for right now but its got a charm.

edge of LA screeeeeech, full on. again, the fact that i like nerdier complicated stuff kind of detracts from my capacity to appreciate this but you can't argue with this kind of rock, balls out and who gives a damn about me and my time signatures :oops:

Left+Right: "....and people call it candy but it's not very good.." why does this make me laugh so much i wonder.

masters of grip: first time I heard this I thought it was going to bore my arse off but it develops in a pretty cool way, there's some nice jangly bits and some cool joy division-y sounding bits. its a bit long and a bit old but not a bad effort.

melvin: while attention has been drawn to OSAN's (ahem) inadvertant plaguerism :wink: I think Melv's got away with his own over here. maybe I'm arse-talking but I keep finding myself singing "always something there to remind me" over this :D . Disregarding that tho, I appreciate that this is an attempt at trying some new tricks and I think the results are something to be proud of. If you were to make an album this would provide an excellent blend with the songs you've submitted so far, instantly catchy but with a different kind of momentum, more Death Cab paced. good use of sound effects as well, nothing sounds out of place and I grew to like that guitar that you've synthified. incidentally if you're looking for new ground in guitar music of this vein, are you aware of American Football and Appleseed Cast?

Morsel choir: unusually, I like the way this started but I'm not sure about the way it develops. that opening riff is pretty cool, but it doesn't go anywhere much and the other sections don't grab me as much. the overall sound is quite good tho and I'd like to hear other stuff by you.

oSaN: This is fairly well written, I think if i heard it on the radio it'd start to bug me but some of its cool, and the horns sound really good! big drum roollls, nice. yeah not bad

RbW: Cool, not enough ambient stuff this week. the bells are a bit loud. that arpeggiator sounds uber swell. and some weird wibbliness, nicely done.

Rone: I think what the problem is here is your trying to implement too many concepts (or one big concept) before you've really mastered some basic fundamentals, like just writing a cool beat or loop or bassline. seriously keep with it tho, just do something cool and simple, and then mash it up.

Thee kids: I dunno why but some of this ended up being about my last trip to Newquay so I thought I'd add in some Baywatch sounding piano, 0:42 you know what I'm talking about. I was going for a bit of a Why? vibe at the beginning and then it went all jazzy but truth is I'm dead pleased with it.

not an amazing fight but there's some strong stuff; anti-m, melvin, luke & ryan and raised by wolves all hit the spot.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

anti-m wrote: ...and that's just my 2 cents, which is, again, worth about 2 cents!
well then everyone's getting more than their money's worth. ;)

<font size=-5>'cept me...</font>
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

beatlebrent wrote: It's tough for me to listen to my song, because so much of me wishes that I had more time recording/mixing this.
i too have had this experience because of crummy vox (cf "step up") and i can say that the best remedy is to re-record with better vox later. although most people still seem to have not liked the re-recording, it's better than it was :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

jb wrote:
well then everyone's getting more than their money's worth. ;)
<font size=-5>'cept me...</font>
jb wrote: It's all the money, yo. The ducats. *swims around in songfight moneybin*
Hey! No more ducats for youse! :lol: