Best of the year lists!

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
raisedbywolves
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Best of the year lists!

Post by raisedbywolves »

OK. It's about time for your top 10 of the year.

Here's mine, though I haven't seen Thumbsucker or Brokeback Mountain yet, so I might need to edit this at some point.

{edit} OK. I have now seen Brokeback and it did make the list. I love Ang Lee! I couldn't bear to part with Sky High completely though.

1) Me and You and Everyone We Know
2) Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
3) Millions
4) Batman Begins
5) Brokeback Mountain
6) Squid and the Whale
7) Unleashed
8- Constantine
9) Jarhead
10) 40-Year-Old Virgin
11) Sky High (yes, and shut up!)
Last edited by raisedbywolves on Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Aren't you the guy that hit me in the eye?
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Constantine?! Yer nuts! TILDA SWINTON FETISH.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

1. Batman Begins
raisedbywolves
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by raisedbywolves »

jb wrote:Constantine?! Yer nuts! TILDA SWINTON FETISH.
Conspicuously absent - Narnia and Broken Flowers

I like Constantine more than anyone else I know. It kicks ass. I totally want to watch it again right now.

Oh, and my theater is showing a preview for A Scanner Darkly, where Keanu gets to say something like "You mean the two halves of my brain are at war with each other? Whoa!" Why does Keanu of all people keep getting cast in movies that revolve around his brain?
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

40 year old virgin
me and you and everyone we know
broken flowers
king kong

i did like constantine, but not in a best of list kind of way.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

1) 2046
2) The Edukators
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

In approximate order:

- Downfall (Excellent telling of the final days and minutes of Nazi Germany from the vantage point of the leadership inside the reichchancellory bunker. Probably the first or second best real protrayal of Hitler I've ever seen.)

- harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (popular enough not to need introduction)

- Kung Fu Hustle (I love how physical appearance and coolness are completely disconnected from martial arts prowess in this movie. I love the cheesiness and the clever fighting sequences)

- Dot the i (I thought this was going to be a bad romance with some really hot actors, Gael Garcia Bernal of Motorcycle Diaries - which itself is one of my favorite movies ever - and Natalie Verbeke. This turned into a great movie with clever writing and completely trick-less plot twists.)

- March of the Penguins (You will marvel at the tenacity and fragility of life. And you will thank whatever deity you worship that you were not born a penguin. A great documentary.)

- Layer Cake (I am a sucker for British style gangster movies and this one is a nicely philosophical take with a common arc - smart protagonist wants to get out while he's rich and ahead but finds himself unable to escape. Smart dialogue, interesting characters. Not up there with my favorites of this genre like Snatch (one of my favorite movies ever) or Lock,Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, but it was pretty enjoyable)

- Strings (The puppets that inhabit this fantasy world are consciously aware of their strings and this fact plays a large part of the well done imageryand determines how they are able to move about in their world - for example in order to prevent someone from coming into your city you need no walls, only a single large bar placed above head height so that the strings will catch on it. This was a really creative and well done movie. The plot was not spectacular but it was definitely worth the rent.)

- Enron: Smartest Guys in the Room (Excellent documentary about what happened at the energy trader that became the subject of investigations into corporate corruption and dishonest accounting practices. AND HOW THEY SCREWED US OVER HERE IN CALIFORNIA!!! RRRRAAAGHHGHGHHG!!!!)

- Up and Down (If you don't get Czech humor then you might wonder why this is classified as a comedy at the beginning. The interesting characters are somewhat stereotypically Czech, but this movie has many interesting and unique moments)

- Wallace and Grommit
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

yeah. i forgot both wallace and gromit and harry potter.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

-Green Street Hooligans
-Jarhead
-Good Night and Good Luck
-The Devil's Rejects
-Last Days
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

I just looked through the list o' movies released in 2005 and realized that I've seen almost NOTHING this year... there's no way I can formulate a top 10! I'd best start catching up...there's actually a lot of flicks I wanna see.

I would agree that Miranda July's movie was the best o' the year...followed closely by Wallace and Gromit.... but other notables not yet mentioned...

-El Crimen Perfecto
-Howl's Moving Castle
-Sin City
and dorky, but:
-Hitchhiker's Guide

I expected to like but didn't:
-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
-The Aristocrats
-Thumbsucker
raisedbywolves
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by raisedbywolves »

I forgot about Howl's Moving Castle. I liked that quite a bit. Charlie and Hitchhiker almost made the list. I liked them quite a bit too. I liked Sin City when I saw it, but it has not held up well in my mind since then. I'll be seeing Thumbsucker and Brokeback on Thursday. And Aristocrats was okay, I think, but not really a cinematic experience. Probably best left for Comedy Central, when they play unedited movies late at night.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

raisedbywolves wrote:Oh, and my theater is showing a preview for A Scanner Darkly, where Keanu gets to say something like "You mean the two halves of my brain are at war with each other? Whoa!" Why does Keanu of all people keep getting cast in movies that revolve around his brain?
He just has that perfect LOOK... The one that's always on his face that says, something is very wrong, and I am very prepared to find it and kick its ass in 120 minutes or less!

Then there's the questino (that was a typo but I like it) of what Hollywood will do when they run out of stories by Isaac Asimov and Phillip K. Dick to rip off? One can only hope that the answer is not The Matrix #4 through #?.
Let cake eat them.
nicegeoff
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Aerosmith JR.

Post by nicegeoff »

1. the baxter
2. grizzly man
3. junebug
4. walk the line
5. howl's moving castle
6. march of the penguins

i wanted to see:

more movies.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

How did I forget the Baxter? I adore that movie. Too bad it got the shit kicked out of it by critics. Poor Mikey Sho.