OK, we know who won (or: Does God exist?)

Go ahead, get it off your chest.

Who will win the presidential election?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:06 pm

Bush
48%
Kerry
52%

Total votes: 25
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Poor June wrote: i don't know how this got into a religious debate haha... but very interesting
Might I suggest looking at the thread title? Or reading the previous 10 pages or so?
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

kapitano wrote:
tviyh wrote: that sounds more like a description of the "early withdrawal" method rather than masturbation though.
the kind who believe but don't read - it's the justification for saying masturbation is a sin.
It's not the Bible's fault that people don't read it properly/at all.
It's not unusual. How many creationists know there's two incompatable creation stories in Genesis? How many opponants of same-sex marriage who endlessly quote Leviticus 18:32 know any other levitical laws?
You write as if the people of whom you speak would give two flying f**ks if they did receive this knowledge. Or one, even. Leviticus 18:32 is pretty clear on the subject, regardless of how other entries may have become humorously irrelevant two thousand years later. I have always been proud to be 'Abominable'.

j$
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

the sober irishman wrote:Would it have been a sin if Onan had spilled his seed on the wife's face, stomach, or mouth? That's more fun than the ground, anyways.
That's what made God so mad. He was trying to get him to loosen up, and then he goes and makes a mess on the ground. The apocryphal version goes into more detail:

"And God sayeth onto Onan, 'In your brother's widow there is a woman who needeth lovin', and liketh the juice. Don't you goeth wasting your seed on the ground.'"
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

j$ wrote:
How many creationists know there's two incompatable creation stories in Genesis?
You write as if the people of whom you speak would give two flying f**ks if they did receive this knowledge.
I know I know. If you want someone to lose their faith, wait till god fails to save their offspring from some terminal disease. Unless they're intelligent enough to rearrange their faith to fit.
Leviticus 18:32 is pretty clear on the subject, regardless of how other entries may have become humorously irrelevant two thousand years later.
Yes and no. With the stuff translated from Aramaic to English via Hebrew, Greek and (sometimes) Latin, it's not surprising strange translations crop up. Like 'Burning refuse pile' becomming 'Pit of fire'. Here 'Abomination' began life as something like 'unclean'. Once you know Leviticus is mostly about personal hygene, it starts to make sense.
I have always been proud to be 'Abominable'.
You're the abominable showman.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

If DOG didn't want males to spill thier seed, he wouldn't have given us apossable thumbs!

One thing always missunderstood about the Bible in arguements are the multitude of different contexts in which it was written. I defend it as a great piece of written history. As far as literal interpretations, bah, men have used the concept of a God / Gods to control behavior since death and "the why are we here?" concepts first came to man.
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
http://www.friedband.com
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

...and just in case any of you wankers are thinking about committing the sin of Onan - think about this:

http://www.hosstyle.com/kittens.htm
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

Caravan Ray wrote:...and just in case any of you wankers are thinking about committing the sin of Onan - think about this:

http://www.hosstyle.com/kittens.htm
I am suprized any live. heh.
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Kapitano wrote:
the sober irishman wrote:Would it have been a sin if Onan had spilled his seed on the wife's face, stomach, or mouth? That's more fun than the ground, anyways.
Only one way to find out.

Right. Who's got a wife?

I am happy to report that it is indeed, much more fun than the ground....

of course my wife may beg to differ, but she was sleeping at the time.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Fried wrote:If DOG didn't want males to spill thier seed, he wouldn't have given us apossable thumbs!

One thing always missunderstood about the Bible in arguements are the multitude of different contexts in which it was written.
But that's exactly what's being discussed.
I defend it as a great piece of written history. As far as literal interpretations ....
The difference being?

j$
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Well, the Bible <i>is</i> historical in that it helps us peer into society as it was when the book was written, or sometimes and perhaps more often, as society was when the book was <i>re</i>-written several times throughout history. Reading the bible and also having learned a good deal about the context in which it was written could be historically interesting, in the same way that reading cave paintings is historically interesting (the stories behind cave paintings might be complete crap (or maybe not), but the paintings give us a good look into the minds of cavemen).

But then, what do I know? I've never read most of the Bible--it's so dry it makes me thirsty just reading it. Give me <i>The Silmarillion</i> over it any day.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Oh, and so on the other hand, j$, a literal interpretation might involve someone reading a cave painting and taking the message behind it completely to heart, perhaps without realizing the importance of metaphor and, especially, of context.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Hmmmm, my point was 'a well written piece of history' is 'a literal interpretation'. Words is words.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

the problem with the Bible is it's just a bit dull. Even the dirty bits are dull. As far as Jewish stuff goes, I prefer Seinfeld or George Gershwin.
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Caravan Ray wrote:the problem with the Bible is it's just a bit dull. Even the dirty bits are dull. As far as Jewish stuff goes, I prefer Seinfeld or George Gershwin.

Not all of it was dull! There's some good gory bits, and some hot sex.. it was the Desperate Housewives of it's time!
I could do without the whole " and Barashmeeil begat smarmyglaro who thusly begat jezzabeell ....." lists that go on and on and on... like we need to hear some big ass list of useless dead people.

But the Bible, hell, ANY religious story is full of some exciting stuff...some good moral lessons, and some super wacky bits. I liked it.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Mogosagatai wrote:reading a cave painting and taking the message behind it completely to heart, perhaps without realizing the importance of metaphor and, especially, of context.
metaphor? context? "oh, there are some dudes carrying spears and a big group of buffalo. the dudes symbolise hunters who probably lived in this cave, the spears symbolise weapons used to hunt food, and the buffalo symbolise dinner." :cry:
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

tviyh wrote:
Mogosagatai wrote:reading a cave painting and taking the message behind it completely to heart, perhaps without realizing the importance of metaphor and, especially, of context.
metaphor? context? "oh, there are some dudes carrying spears and a big group of buffalo. the dudes symbolise hunters who probably lived in this cave, the spears symbolise weapons used to hunt food, and the buffalo symbolise dinner." :cry:
I saw a cave painting of a No0b getting a spear shoved up his arse by what looked to be a Blue man... What could that mean?

P.S. Not all cave paintings are that easy to decipher.
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

Caravan Ray wrote:the problem with the Bible is it's just a bit dull. Even the dirty bits are dull.
Drop acid and read Revelations.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Puce wrote:Drop acid and read Revelations.
(first step optional. them guys were all pretty messed up when they had all those visions and wrote that stuff in the first place :D)
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Puce wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:the problem with the Bible is it's just a bit dull. Even the dirty bits are dull.
I always found that supposedly trippy things would pale in comparison to a bowl full of jello while on acid....a bowl full of jello can hold the mysteries of the universe...that or a bucket full of crayons and a blank ceiling in your work bunkhouse.....course that was 12 years ago... but still.

JESUS DID PEYOTE.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Leaf wrote:
Puce wrote:
I always found that supposedly trippy things would pale in comparison to a bowl full of jello while on acid....a bowl full of jello can hold the mysteries of the universe...that or a bucket full of crayons and a blank ceiling in your work bunkhouse.....course that was 12 years ago... but still.

JESUS DID PEYOTE.
Yeah, well jello is just sweetened and colored fat. Now go read revelations.

(I have actually listened to bible TAPES of revelations while on acid...one word: whoah)
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Hoblit wrote:[

(I have actually listened to bible TAPES of revelations while on acid...one word: whoah)

..I don't doubt it actually.... however, my trip out days are long behind me, and I've already read the Bible. A few times. I still don't believe in the religious heirarchy though... and I 'm not sold on the son of God thing either... or the humanistic God... I'd rather believe in Greek Myth to be honest, much more base and exciting!

HERCULES would kick MOSES' ass.

...I've seen the vegas odds...it's true...
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Leaf wrote:
Hoblit wrote:[

however, my trip out days are long behind me,
Yes, let me clarify, mine too.