Which do you enjoy more: Recording or Playing Live?

How much do you love this stuff?

Which do you enjoy more: Recording or Playing Live?

Recording
41%
Playing Live
59%

Total votes: 34
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I'm doing a whole load of DSPC recording this week, and I love it. There are definitely a lot of frustrating times when people get grumpy, but the overall product is usually pretty fulfilling, if you put enough work into it ... as for performing live, I haven't done a whole lot of that, but from what I've done, I love it just as much as recording, maybe a bit more ... depends on the crowd.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

Recording is great because I can hear myself before I let others have at it. I have a slight chance to fix equipment or placement. I can use instruments that aren't rendered in realtime. Like George Bush, I can handpick my audience.

I've only played live twice, and both times I was a nervous wreck. The first time I couldn't hear myself, and the second time I forgot lyrics.

I want my mommy.
mc3p0
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by mc3p0 »

For the Cheap Bastards stuff I program a couple of measures in Logic or whatnot then record it with live filtering, etc. Samples may be taken and removed afterwards, so I guess that's more programming. Instead of using all instruments I keep a two-hour time limit per piece, so for better or worse that's what comes out.

Swedish Masturbation Unit is more-or-less just samples of some live stuff, video games, TTS and the occasional pr0n, but with better equipment.

mc3p0 is entirely live, no instrument or time limitations, created on the fly, therefore the least "radio". I made an alternate Dune soundtrack and cheated a little using Buzz and ReBirth in parts, but overall it's about crazy effected opera vinyl, drum machines, kung-fu movie fight scenes, some chanting, flute and didgeridoo. Typical electro-hippy stuff.

This reads like an interview..
"The toot of a flute with the flavour of fruit!" - Caractacus Potts, 1968