I got Nothin' (Nothing Day Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

I got Nothin' (Nothing Day Reviews)

Post by Hoblit »

how about you?
wages
Claude
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

You know what they say, a watched songfight never updates! :wink: :lol:

EDIT: No offense...just occured to me
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
Denyer
Grok
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

You know what they say, stop being a little bitch.
wages
Claude
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

Denyer wrote:You know what they say, stop being a little bitch.
Seriously...it was just a joke. On my god! Freak out! It's a joke! (and so is this) :roll:
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion

Post by Hoblit »

yeeeaah...if I had to guess... I'd say you were both joking.

*Hoblit hands out little orange chill pills.
Denyer
Grok

Post by Denyer »

I don't joke.
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion

Post by Hoblit »

Denyer wrote:I don't joke.
oh, well then...stop bein' a little bitch.
Denyer
Grok

Post by Denyer »

(I was joking when I said I don't joke)
Steve Durand
Claude
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Every other thing I say is a lie.

I'm lying.

No, I'm not.

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
Denyer
Grok

Post by Denyer »

I ain't saying she a gold digger.
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion

Post by Hoblit »

Denyer wrote:I ain't saying she a gold digger.
but she don't mess aroudn with no broke .... broke
Denyer
Grok

Post by Denyer »

Hoblit I am marking this down as us having collaborated on a song.
Kill Me Sarah
Claude
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Wow, I clearly picked the wrong fight to get into this week. Not that I've faired any better any other week, but looks like I picked a full one.
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion

Post by Hoblit »

The Hoblit?

anyways. If any of you like my song this week then vote for it.

what I meant to say is that you can dowload a remixed/remastered version of it on my website. Don't touch it until you have voted.

*Hoblit points and stares at songfight forum
Pow Pow Power Series
A New Player

Post by Pow Pow Power Series »

My favorites (not counting my own) are:

c hack - nice, and to the point. maybe should tune your guitar. :wink:
wally harbinger - excellent sound, though it kind of wanders

I also liked finding nemoy's, and cracked up at nano and the hefty squad's totally immature freestyle that degenerates into like a DVD-style commentary track about the song.

I caught a pixies and a they might be giants reference in quetzalcoatlus's entry.. what else am I missing??
Tacocoatlus
A New Player

Post by Tacocoatlus »

Huh. While the Pixies reference was fully intentional (mostly it got thrown in because I felt like I had to say something over that intro riff that otherwise doesn't show up anywhere else), I have no idea what you mean by the TMBG one. Which is weird because while I haven't listened to them much lately, I've been into that band since I was like 12.

So, people who have been at this longer than I have, how is this going to work now? are the current fights now only going to be up for 3 days to make up for time or what?
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mixtral
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

Some reviews using a reviewing system:

Doscientos: Hmm! country, nice sound to the vocal though maybe a touch too close to the mic, very jiggy feel (s'got my knees bouncing).
Could possibly do with some YeeHas! in the background, part from that nice though a little tedious. 6/10

Finding Nemoy: I like the marbles being banged together effect in the background, a touch plaintive for my liking, vocal needs to come up a bit over the guitar (just a touch in places mind), good effort far to much concentration on the lyric rather than the backing track, needs more variation. 4.5/10

Kill Me Sarah: Two voices (are they both you?) nice intro, s'going on a bit long though, nice break though. but really rather monotonous by your standards, by 2:30 I'm wanting this to finish, I've preferred your other works, very nice lyric again though. 5/10

Hoblit: Aha! I'm liking this, cool vocal, cool breaks, maybe a touch more sneer in the voice occasionaly, woohoo a sing-a-long chorus! Great track. 7.5/10

Your Money Wasted: Plaintive opening, Nice change at 1:00. Another bloody good lyric. yep I like this possibly a touch too epic for me to listen many times. 6.5/10

Tom di Giovanni: Is this playing too fast? 2.5/10

Nano and Hefty Squad: He he Bert and Ernie do rap... Bass is too heavy, I think I'm getting where you're coming from, but by 1:10 the jokes gone on too long. 3.5/10

spOOns: I like it, because I did it. (though it does sound a bit Rowan Atkinson sings Nick Cave).

Sandcastle Forgery: Vocal here is too high, possibly a mic problem, it's a touch disjointed but the idea's a cool, nice breaks when the clicks and beatbox take over. 5/10

Flvxxvm Florvm: This has a very seventies feel to it, kind of like some bastard offspring of the Frogs and Judas Priest. nope sorry I'm not liking this at all. 3/10

Steve Durand: Oh bugger what do i say now, maybe if I insulted you with another Kermit quote, you'll go on and write another scorcher for next week and win again, but I'm sorry steve, not this week. I reckon you're gonna get compaired with last weeks entry, which was a lot better than this. Drum track sounds very listless. 4.5/10

Jacob Lynn: The Intro is verrrry Looooong! don't like the electronic voice effect. 3.5/10

Ausgequetschte Zitrone: (Interesting band name), Once more a lovely vocal, a wee bit evanescence, but by 1:40 I'm thinking something else should have come in by now, very ethereal, floaty, which is obviously the effect you were after, but there does need to be something else to break it up, possibly a sinister sub-bass building up from the bottom of the mix. 4.5/10

C Hack: Very Nice sentiment in this, just a bit low and rambling for my liking, sorry! 4/10

Wally Harbinger: Congas, jazzy organ, nice introduction of strings and vocal. this has quite a professional feel to it, Yeah one of the best so far, and a very good lyric to boot. 7.5/10

MC Paul Denyer: Ha ha! Mr. Whippy, yeah funny story, just the right length. 5.5/10

Quesadilla Explosion: Limp Bizkit influences are a bit blatent here, not a bad song, plods along quite nicely, but it does plod! 5.5/10

Quetzalcoatlus: Is this difficult to pronounce band week? Okay where is this going, it's going a bit rambling isn't it!, good idea, needs more variation, and don't be scared of singing into the mic, if the neighbors complain, then fuck them it's only for a few minutes. 4.5/10

Shitload of Dolphins: Whack! between the eyes, nice vocal intro, now please go somewhere!!.... Damn, the first 0:20 of this were very promising. 4.5/10

Wages: I've heard a few tracks by your good self now, and I'm reckoning what may be good for you is the introduction of a higher range instrument to break it up, I dunno what though, this is another plodder I'm afraid! 4.5/10

Okay rather a dissapointing fight, some good ideas and some good lyrics, either Hoblit or Wally Harbinger would take my vote here, though I'm undecided, I will retire to deliberate.
Pow Pow Power Series
A New Player

Post by Pow Pow Power Series »

Tacocoatlus wrote: I have no idea what you mean by the TMBG one. Which is weird because while I haven't listened to them much lately, I've been into that band since I was like 12.
The part about Shriners (particularly the way you sang it) reminded me of a line in "She's an Angel" but I guess I am just on crack. I liked the synths in your song, btw., very weird.
Kill Me Sarah
Claude

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Tacocoatlus wrote: So, people who have been at this longer than I have, how is this going to work now? are the current fights now only going to be up for 3 days to make up for time or what?
I don't think it makes a difference. The deadlines are always a week from the day that the new titles are posted. How long the songs stay up depends on how long it takes the admins to get the new ones loaded in. I believe the deadline for voting is always the same as the deadline for the next song though. I don't think votes cast after the deadline are counted.
Hoblit
Stable Diffusion

Post by Hoblit »

kill_me_sarah wrote:
Tacocoatlus wrote: So, people who have been at this longer than I have, how is this going to work now? are the current fights now only going to be up for 3 days to make up for time or what?
I don't think it makes a difference. The deadlines are always a week from the day that the new titles are posted. How long the songs stay up depends on how long it takes the admins to get the new ones loaded in. I believe the deadline for voting is always the same as the deadline for the next song though. I don't think votes cast after the deadline are counted.
That'd be 4 days actually. It 'could' happen that way actually. Probably won't though if I had to guess. I'm guessing that we'll get a 5th day of postage but we'll still be locked down to 4 for voting. I havn't fought in a while but this is pretty much how it goes. Your song, if its any good...will get downloaded by most potential songfight browsers. IF it's really good...word of mouth may get it looks even after its archived. It wouldn't hurt to have a web page where you can advertise it no matter on 'whens'. Myspace...etc...

The world is neither fair nor unfair - The Cure
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mixtral
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

There have been previous weeks when the deadlines have been changed at the last minute due to various reasons, I'd probably aim for friday, then if what you've done is 85% finished and the deadline changes then that's cool if not submit and be damned (that's another of my motto's) and I usually am :lol:
Kill Me Sarah
Claude

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Theresa Herbrig
Starts out very nice. The vocals are almost lounge-y. I can imagine it as the opening sequence to a Bond film, though it needs to pick up at some point. This is one of many songs this round that are refusing to really take off. But promising nonetheless.
3/5

C Hack
Very Jack Johnson. I like this. It's mellow, nice lyrics.
4/5

Doscientos
Nice, as usual. This song, incidentally, follows the last one well. Nothing to say I have said about you all before. (do these guys ever post on the boards?)
4/5

Spoons
Disturbing. The...whatever that is that comes in around :30 is a little too dissonant for me. Everything has variety except the vocals, you need to change those up when you change everything else, because musically it's interesting.
3/5

Finding Nemoy
Sounds like it needed more takes. The melody's decent but you crack more that a stooped over plumber. Could probably use a backing vocal. Guitar gets a little monotonous. I like the finger snaps (is that what those are?) and the keyboard sounds pick it up a little bit - those could probably be brought out a little more.
2/5

Flvxxvm
It's classic Flvxxvm from what I've heard of your stuff. Personally it's not for me, but there are probably people who love it. This one reminds me of Smashing Pumpkin's Machina album where they layered like five million different guitars with various amounts of distortion.
2/5

Hoblit
I think this is the first song of yours I've heard. Not what I expected from your avatar. It's well performed, well recoreded, etc. Again, it's not really for me, but that's more my taste than anything. I like the chorus part the best.
3/5

Jacob Lynn
Woah, tripping me out with the panning. It's neat at first but tires quickly. The intro could probably be about 30 seconds shorter. I like it once it gets started. Very Aphex Twin (I suppose that's a genre, but all I know is Aphex Twin). I have no idea how this kind of music is made, so I find it kind of enchanting. I like this. I'm not in a big techno mood right now, but I could throw this in with my Aphex Twin and enjoy it quite a bit when I'm in the mood for it.
4/5

Kill Me Sarah - Me
I realize this song is too long. I couldn't really stop myself (I tried!). Both voices are me (actually, sometimes all three). I feel like when the short little acoustic lead comes in, it picks it up a bit, but then the song is only halfway thru and nothing else spices it up for the rest song so it probably could have used either more leads throughout, or some other intrumentation. I'm pretty proud of the lyrics. It ends rather un-spectacularly. Other than that, I like it cuz it's mine, but I don't expect anyone else to.

MC Paul Denyer
Never thought I'd hear a King of the Hill reference in a rap. Your voice reminds me of that Beastie Boys song, I can't remember the name of it, but it's where they all like introduce themselves.
3/5

student
I was really hoping the freestyle would be better. You really should have written something. Funny. Once.
2/5

Quesadilla
Your name makes me hungry for cheesy goodness. I feel similar about you as I do for Kweep. You (guys?) are really good but I've heard this song before on mainstream rock radio.
3/5

Quetzasomethin
Production is really lacking for this song. Which normally I don't pay too much attention to, but when you're doing techno, it's really important because otherwise it doesn't mesh.
2/5

Sandcastle
You sound like you've been listening to old railroad worker song and Black Eyed Peas. I like the singing part of the song at the beginning. The rest of the song doesn't thrill me.
3/5

Dolphins
I can't tell if you are making a indie-pop song or if you're making fun of indie-pop. That said, I'm embarrassed to say I really like this song, for fear that it's designed to make fun of me. Oh well. I like it. Favorite thus far.
4/5

Steve Durand
Hmm, you still kind of sound like Kermit in this one. I like the song otherwise, but I think, unless your going for that Froggy Flavor, you might want to work with the voice a bit. Really well written song overall though.
4/5

Tom di
Glad it was only 24 seconds.
2/5

Wages
I think this is one of my favorites of yours so far. Kudos on attempting the drums, but the need some work. They're a little distracting because they're not on tempo. It sounds like you recorded them after the rest of the song was recorded, and you might should have done the drums first.
4/5

Wally
Technically well performed. A little too Jimmy Buffet for me when it starts, though I really like the strings. Ah...now the vox have started. Actually kinda digging this song. Good lyrics. Well done. Parts that don't thrill me, a little longer than necessary, but overall it's well executed.
4/5

Money
I like this one too. Some good lyrics this round. I'm a little nervous seeing that it's just shy of 6 minutes. Yeah, it's a little long for something that's not a Paranoid Android or Bohemina Rhapsody. But overall I like it.
4/5

I think I'm liking Dolphins for this round. Mmm...tuuuuna.