Album A Week. With Twists For Fun (AAW.WTF[F])

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

The Contestants:
Glenn Case
Bjam
Jim Tyrell
Niveous
<3
The Cow Exchange
Jolly Roger

RULES:

# It must be written, performed, recorded, post-produced, etc. all in one contiguous 7 day period.
# It must be at least 35 minutes or 40 songs.
# Your band may have multiple participants, but they should not work on different songs simultaneously. (So just one song being worked on at a time.)
# No ideas from before the chosen day! This means covers or reinterpretations are not allowed.
# No out-takes! If you start a song, finish it and put it on the album.
# Competition begins TONIGHT, Midnight Eastern/9pm Pacific (That's early Friday the 23rd for you east-coasters, Late on Thursday the 22nd for the rest of us.)
# Albums due in one week. Midnight Eastern/9pm Pacific (That's early Friday the 30th for you east-coasters, Late on Thursday the 29th for the rest of us.)

Put a link up to a page with all your songs on whenever you're done

The Twists for fun:
#1: Write a song called "In the Desert" -or- "In the Dessert." Know which one you should use for your title.
#2: Don't use the notes C or F# anywhere in the song. Not in the melody. Not in the chords.
#3: Must have one solo from an instrument other than guitar or piano. (i.e. bass, drums, horn, skat)
#4a - Write a song about mustard.
#4b - Bonus points if you use the common lexical faux pas "passes mustard."
#5 - Do a rap song.
#6 - Plenty of cowbell.
#7 - Have all elements reversed.
#8 - Fart into a microphone.
#9 - Play all your instruments backwards or back to front (so right handed guitar in the left, for example). Or upside down. Or underwater. Or travelling in a car.
#10 - Incorporate animal sounds musically into the song: samples; made with your mouth; or picking up a housepet and squeezing him/her to the beat.
#11 -Incorporate COFFEE into your song in some way.
#12 - Use the SF Song Idea Generator for a song.

Original message:

I saw the album-a-day thing and this idea kind of hit me. I'm not sure if it's been done, but if it hasn't, I think it could be pretty awesome. So here's the idea.

This could be an official Songfight thing, so it could be in place of the actual fights for about 3 weeks. There could be like 5 titles a week, and the favorites (not neccessarily by votes) could be put on a cd and people could buy it. This probably is just a dumb pipe dream of mine, but I think it could be pretty awesome if there was some work put into it.[/url][/b]
Last edited by Reist on Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

It's been done. And in a smaller amount of time with consecutive days. Though, we did have the luxury of coming up with our own titles.
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

That doesn't look like quite the same thing, as you had to write the songs, instead of just picking one that you feel inspired to do ... but if a similar thing has been done we can change the concept of this one a bit to make it more original.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

jolly roger wrote:That doesn't look like quite the same thing, as you had to write the songs, instead of just picking one that you feel inspired to do ...
Um, why wouldn't you have to write the songs? Who would write the songs?
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

roymond wrote:
jolly roger wrote:That doesn't look like quite the same thing, as you had to write the songs, instead of just picking one that you feel inspired to do ...
Um, why wouldn't you have to write the songs? Who would write the songs?
Oh this is hard to explain. It's not - we don't have to write the songs. It's - we don't have to write the songs. When we write a song, we write it ourselves, but it's not a set list of people where you have to write for every song. It's just like normal fights, except more each week and the most popular get their song on a cd. Did that make better sense, or am I just crazy?
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

This is probably a better personal goal. It kinda mushes AAD and FAWM and Nur Ein and SF into one thing, and people rarely have enough time to actually complete any of those things. Try doing an Album-A-Week if you want a challenge. And if you want titles, use old SF ones.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

I could probably do an album-a-week this week since I have nothing at all to do all week.
Bjam wrote:AAD and FAWM
I'm pretty sure AAD is album-a-day, but I don't know what FAWM is. What are the rules for these?
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

jolly roger wrote:I don't know what FAWM is. What are the rules for these?
FAWM - I finished 2 the first year, none this year. Goes to show...good intentions and all that :) J$ finished both years complete.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

chiming in on the "it's been done" thing.. there was also the dong fight (sorry i mean "long fight") where we were supposed to spend like a month doing a song. not a whole album, just a song. and it didn't seem to spark all that much interest, sadly.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man

Post by Bjam »

Public Challenge!

Hey, JR, I challenge you to Album A Week. With Twists For Fun (AAW.WTF[F])

# It must be written, performed, recorded, post-produced, etc. all in one contiguous 7 day period.
# It must be at least 45 minutes or 50 songs.
# Your band may have multiple participants, but they should not work on different songs simultaneously. (So just one song being worked on at a time.)
# No ideas from before the chosen day! This means covers or reinterpretations are not allowed.

I'm game for it. You?

(It could be fun if SFers throw in non-optional challenges or titles or something for the songs if this gets going)
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I could give you a title or two :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

Bjam wrote:Public Challenge!

Hey, JR, I challenge you to Album A Week. With Twists For Fun (AAW.WTF[F])

I'm game for it. You?

(It could be fun if SFers throw in non-optional challenges or titles or something for the songs if this gets going)
Depending on when and if this happens, I actually might participate.

I mean, come on! It's got WTF in the acronym! It's a winner of an idea for that reason alone.

I might even try to finish "Ugly-Ass Lunchbox" in the same time period. Not as part of this project, mind you, but while I am in "deadline" mode.

The first 4 songs of the unfinished EP were recorded at the tail end of Marathon Songs, after finishing the first 12 which became "Greenwood Cemetery". I think the bitter vibe of the songs was partially because of nearing creative exhaustion for that week. Maybe I'll crank out the final 2 songs after exhausting myself again, in the hopes of a similar vibe.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Last edited by GlennCase on Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

GlennCase wrote:Depending on when and if this happens, I actually might participate.
If I'm going to be able to accept this challenge, it'll have to be starting in the next few days as I'm going to be gone most of July and August ... I just have a lot of time off this week. Anyone want to start tomorrow or monday? Those would be the most convenient for my situation.
mr_lostman
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by mr_lostman »

:shock: Jeezas.... i can barely get my real bands album up to 45 minutes. This sounds like it could be fun but that time requirement is daunting. I might be in for this depends on when it is.

But really why cant my album a week album be short? The Brakes album is only a half an hour ...same with Apollo Sunshine.
"I can't hear a thing,
'cause I've stopped listening!"
-BNL
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

Tomorrow = fine with me.

Hell. We could start it tonight as far as I am concerned. I'll roll with whatever.
mr_lostman wrote:
:shock: Jeezas.... i can barely get my real bands album up to 45 minutes. This sounds like it could be fun but that time requirement is daunting. I might be in for this depends on when it is.

But really why cant my album a week album be short? The Brakes album is only a half an hour ...same with Apollo Sunshine.
Keep in mind that the <a href="http://crapart.spacebar.org/aad/">Album-a-day</a> project expects 20 minutes of music or 30 songs in a single day. When you put it in perspective, you are getting a whole week for this project, and you only need a little more than double the AAD expectations (as far as time goes). It's pretty fair in comparison. More importantly? It's a challenge! :D

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

I agree that 45 minutes is unreasonable. Twelve typical songs by me would only run 36 minutes or so and I think twelve good songs in a week would be awesome. This idea has a chance of actually producing a quality product (unlike AAD--no offense to anyone who's done one, but that would be very hard to pull off), so why make the time requirement so steep? Why not give yourself a little time to mix things right and tweak lyrics? This idea shouldn't just be AAD times 7.
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

frankie big face wrote:Twelve typical songs by me would only run 36 minutes.
36 minute min albumfight? It sounds alright to me. Should we be starting right now, or should we set a start time and a deadline first?

EDIT: I just had this idea! How about we get a list of words that have to be in our songs at least once each on the album? I think it might help with inspiration (we could use them for song titles, but we wouldn't have to - they just have to be said/sung at some point in any song) ... if anyone likes this idea, speak or make a list of words and post them. If you don't, then say so, but we should get this deal rolling soon.
Last edited by Reist on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

jolly roger wrote:
frankie big face wrote:Twelve typical songs by me would only run 36 minutes.
36 minute min albumfight? It sounds alright to me. Should we be starting right now, or should we set a start time and a deadline first?
We should probably start tomorrow, in truth. That way we can give people a chance to see this thread, and to participate if they would like to.

Even if we go for a deadline of 36, I'm aiming to complete 45 myself. :wink:

I'll probably even keep an ongoing diary of sorts, like I did for <a href="http://www.glenncase.com/music/glenncas ... ">"Keeping the doctors away"</a>

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I have spent a large amount of time whining in my lj about needing a new band (of actual people in the area, I mean). I have project after project (Broken Monster, the Sci-fi concept album, the album with Obscurity) that are patiently waiting certain things. My current rate of completion is way too low and it's driving me nuts. I'm in, just because I think I need to be in for the sake of my wellbeing.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Bjam
Ice Cream Man

Post by Bjam »

Okay, 45 was just an original throw out. How about 35 mins. That's 5 minutes every day for a week.

Midnight Eastern/9pm Pacific kick off tonight sound good?

Then put a link up to a page with all your songs on whenever you're done :)
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

I'd totally do this but for the usual excuses. Plus, I still have to record my "Finish The Album In April" album.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

RULES:

# It must be at least 35 minutes or 40 songs.
# Competition begins TONIGHT, Midnight Eastern/9pm Pacific (That's early Friday the 23rd for you east-coasters, Late on Thursday the 22nd for the rest of us.)
# Albums due in one week. Midnight Eastern/9pm Pacific (That's early Friday the 30th for you east-coasters, Late on Thursday the 29th for the rest of us.)

Put a link up to a page with all your songs on whenever you're done

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Last edited by GlennCase on Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.