Lyric-writing Tools

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

15-16 puzzle wrote:Have you really used a dictionary when writing a song?
Yes, 'cause the only thing worse than being a pompous ass lyrically, is to be one who uses the wrong words (or the right ones incorrectly).

Mmmmm, defenestration generation... that's tasty. And hey, there goes the bathwater, too.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

I don't deny that a dictionary is a helpful book, I just think that it's weird to use the dictionary as you are writing a song to make sure that a word you already know will be used correctly. I mean, why wait until you are writing a song to learn the correct meaning? If you use a dictionary to look up words that you do not know yet while songwriting, I think that is weird too.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

So, err, you know all the words that you know?

Like, there isn't a single word that you've heard, or read, that not only did you not know the meaning of it, but it then sort of drifted into your subconscious until you were writing a lyric and all of a sudden it popped back out again and while it appears to fit in the line, you're sitting there wondering not only what the hell a "blastula" is, but how it's pronounced correctly as well?

And even worse, if it's a real word at all, or merely some interesting syllables strung together. Damn, be right back :wink:

Edit: a couple of minutes later... Phew. That'd work for Fantastic Voyage II: Adventures in Time, heh, but not the vampire/zombie motif I'm playing with. At least, not without a lot of exposition and shoehorning.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

That's so not at all how I write lyrics. I don't have words knocking at the front door of my unconscious, trying to get an interview for the job of being included in a song. I have a general theme that I want to address in a song, and I try to express it using the words that I know.

Blastula is a horrible word to put in a song.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

where is that thread erik started with all the ideas for songs?
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

15-16 puzzle wrote:...Comparisons of writing styles...
Man, it ain't just for writing lyrics, all these words want to get the hell out of my head, meet new words, maybe start a little sentence together down in my mouth, take a little trip to someone else's ear for the weekend, &c.

For the record, I'm a compulsive reader - I can't not read a word that I see. Also for the record - I tend to work for printers as my default occupation. I see a lot of words, and prefer to read for pleasure in lieu of turning on the television when I have idle time. And my dictionary of choice is just too damned big to carry 24/7.

IMO, blastula is too horrible a word not to put in a song, an ear, a post :wink:
Freudian Slip
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Freudian Slip »

The, "Breaking Through Lyrical Writer's Block" thread? That was on Dumberella. No idea if the post files were archived anywhere.
To Do Is To Be. --Socrates
To Be Is To Do. --Plato
DoBeDoBe, DoBeDo --Sinatra
I could 'see' you-- humming away (a few pill bottles on the sideboard)...But it just didn’t measure up to the insanity that is Freudian Slip...
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I've still got all the song ideas in my random idea script... I think I still link to it in my sig... ummm... I'll have to check after I hit "submit."
Anyway, I have all the ideas people posted. Except for the couple I didn't like :roll:
-bill

edit: yeah, it's there. click and get a random idea.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Freudian Slip
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Freudian Slip »

Thanks, Bill!-- <Grins>

Personally, I love dictionaries... as one of many favorite "toys". A dictionary as a songwriting “tool”? (Yep, C.Hack, working hard at keeping *that* title, hee. <winks> It's my own "special" way of presenting "vocal variety".) I would say that dictionaries have plenty of “practical applications”. (Then again-- I say LOTS of things...)

To check the validity of the original thought committed to paper.

To read through the entire definition and perhaps “improve” on the original thought.

To make sure that “memory serves you” (as opposed to having your brain served up by Hannibal Lechter...)

A dictionary--or a word, much like any given day, is right about as valuable as you make it.
To Do Is To Be. --Socrates
To Be Is To Do. --Plato
DoBeDoBe, DoBeDo --Sinatra
I could 'see' you-- humming away (a few pill bottles on the sideboard)...But it just didn’t measure up to the insanity that is Freudian Slip...
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

I don't see any big deal with getting into a dictionary now and again. Good to check an idea of a word that may have erupted in your mind when pen is to paper and the meaning and/or spelling is slightly eluding you. No harm no foul. Education is good.

I, personally, write in the way that I want to hear and hope that poetic devices will be used or push for them in that lyric writing stage. Especially when writing to existing music. Rhyming dictionaries are cool when you really do feel stumped for whatever reason, but a lousy crutch. The silly thing about them is that the writers of them at times put in some non-existent word for kicks and giggles and you could feel purdy stupid if you use one (unless it's a joke eg. The rain in spain is feeling the hairbrain - huh?). Not saying that I have or anything, just can get you away from the initial concept. For that matter to get too far into the books can sometimes lose the headspace. I think better to write and then check spelling and meaning after there is some stream of thought solidified. That way the process doesn't get interfered with.

What device I use sometimes is to read some good poetry by someone like e. e. cummings or Leonard Cohen and the like. The inspiration that is gained is sometimes worth it. Obviously got to be careful not to get too influenced. Writing from the hip is a great way to get going. Screw rhyming devices and length of lines. Just write it and sometimes these devices will show themselves as you delve further into a piece.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Inventing your own words is fun - but difficult to do. You always need a dictionary then, just in case you invent a word that already exists.

The only time I've done it recently was in my "Waiting Takes Time" where I made a verb "coheses" out of the noun 'cohesion' (instead of the correct form 'coheres'), because I needed a word that rhymed with 'Jesus'.

Now I think of it - I used my dictionary a lot when I wrote that song - lot of big words I wouldn't normally use in that one.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

tonetripper wrote:unless it's a joke
Harebrained would be a good word to use in a song.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

Just writing to say I've updated my initial post to include the other stuff ya'll are mentioning, and I'll continue to do so.

Also, there's much talk of dictionary and thesaurus use, but I haven't seen much in terms of brand names. For those who prefer to expand their vocabulary, what outstanding (electronic, or physical) dictionary or thesaurus do you prefer to use over others?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Plat wrote: Also, there's much talk of dictionary and thesaurus use, but I haven't seen much in terms of brand names. For those who prefer to expand their vocabulary, what outstanding (electronic, or physical) dictionary or thesaurus do you prefer to use over others?
The Oxford English Dictionary is the big daddy of them all - but I use the Macquarie Dictionary because it focusus on Australian usage. Obviously if you are American - you wouldn't use either of these.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

rarely do i use anything... but when i do... it's usually a websters dictionary... or if i hear somethin' that tickles my fancy that someone may have said or somethin'... but that's a rare thing 2...
depends on what i'm doin' with the song...

really i only spend like 5 or 10 minutes writing a song... maybe a bad thing O_o
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>