Iron Chef

Blab about the Boob Tube.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Iron Chef

Post by the Jazz »

Teh 1337357 show evar! And not just because it's insane!
Let cake eat them.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i used to watch that occasionally with my fiancee, when i had a fiancee.

sometimes it would be pretty exciting, and i was amazed at what these folks were able to accomplish in such a short time -- i mean, i know my way around the kitchen pretty well, but if i'm making an entire meal with lots of dishes, i have enough trouble getting everything going at just the right time, let alone totally improvising everything on the spot within an hour!

the part at the end where they'd eat the food, and talk about it like they were art critics or something, though, was a little too over-the-top for me. overall, though, i would rather watch this than emerill.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

It disturbs me how they manage to make everything into ice cream. I mean, I've had ginger ice cream, and it's actually pretty good if it's not too strong, but fish ice cream? Give me a break. And the judges are always like one person who seems to know what they're talking about, and the other two are actors or models or something, and they try to fake like they should be there by talking about how the taste is "delicate" and stuff.

And that dude with his yellow bell pepper? He is CRAZY. Tofuuubattel!
Let cake eat them.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I adore watching Iron Chef. It's insane what they can produce in such a short time. The voice overs kill me. But the absolute best part is the entrance for the man I refer to as "the Ringer" Iron Chef Italian Masahiko Kobe. The single pedestal and string quartet...that's awesome.

*I also laugh my ass off everytime I see the bell pepper part. Especially when he chuckles afterwards. I've hypothesized that he's not laughing. He meant to bite an apple but picked up a Bell Pepper instead and is just trying to keep his composure.
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

I could watch Iron Chef all day. Frikkin love it. If they had Iron Chef appearal, I would totally sport the Iron Chef Sakai jersey! LOBSTER BATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
White people, is you funky?
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

Niveous wrote: *I also laugh my ass off everytime I see the bell pepper part. Especially when he chuckles afterwards. I've hypothesized that he's not laughing. He meant to bite an apple but picked up a Bell Pepper instead and is just trying to keep his composure.
In the new version (which isn't nearly as cool, even with Wolfgang Puck as an Iron Chef), Takeshi Kaga's nephew (the new head of Kitchen Stadium) pretends to bite a pepper, then switches to an apple.;
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Iron Chef is second only to Good Eats with Alton Brown.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

And they'll eat just about *anything*. The only time I heard a guest commentator-actress-singer balk was when a chef cut a crab in half and the camera zoomed in on its still-beating heart. The actress was like "that's a little too fresh even for me".

"This is a delicate mixture of lobster-poo and swallow-semen simmered in poison-oak broth and ladled over rice."
*oozing sincerity* "MMMmmmmmm rice and lobster-poo. I can't WAIT!"

Anytime rice is shown on screen the commentators have an orgasm. I like rice, but the japanese REALLY LIKE RICE.

The American version of Iron Chef was so horrid. It concentrated totally on the personalities instead of the cooking, and was the worst kind of bad television. Which of course is the kind that's boring and shrill.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

American version? Ick. That's just a bad idea.
Let cake eat them.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

When you have a new-born with colic, Iron Chief helps the hours tic away...and as such I have painful memories of watching many many hours tic away, even if it was 5 years ago.

This is Blue's favorite show. In fact his whole family's favorite show!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

man, they have been pimping this new "iron chef america" like a 2 dollar whore. i for one think this show is going to SUCK compared to the original (based on having to sit through all these damn previews every time there's a commercial break on the REAL iron chef). i already don't like any of the 3 chefs, they all seem full of crap (and themselves). the beauty of the original iron chef show is the fact that it knows it's over the top, doesn't take itself too seriously about anything EXCEPT the cooking, which is absolutely incredible, and remains the true showcase of the show. the original iron chefs (kenichi, sakai, michiba, kobe, morimoto) are always very humble, classy, and let their cooking do the talking, not their big mouths like the american version. the original premise is pure theatre...some baron-like guy who dresses like michael jackson, the grand entrance of the iron chefs, the way everyone always wears tuxes, the awful dubs which you learn to love, and yes, the ridiculous tasting panel and their opinions (my favorite is the old blowhard guy with the beard who thinks he's a philosopher and rambles for 2-3 minutes with each comment about nothing). but the theatre is just a backdrop for the real show, the cooking. it seems like on the new show, the cooking is the backdrop to the egos of this new crop of meatheads.

odds are this show will most likely be popular (emeril....go figure...) but i hope it fails miserably. there is only one iron chef and it outta be left alone for the classic it is.

/vent
Hi!
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

I used to watch Iron Chef compulsively. I don't get a chance to see it anymore. My favourite two moments: The angry Japanese chef slapping his helper, and the entire pig-fetus battle. You try making a dessert out of pig-fetus.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I dunno. You know they did some American Iron Chefs a couple years ago, right? With William Shatner as the chairman.

In those shows, they did everything wrong, just like you fear for the new show. But I'm thinking they learned some lessons from that miserable failure, and that the new show will be somewhat (not entirely) better than their last attempt. I think it'll be more cooking-focused, although the pageantry stuff will be more in our faces now, partly because we'll be able to understand everyone. Plus they have Morimoto!

My favorite part of the old Iron Chef was the seemingly endless parade of Japanese actresses and singers who will apparently eat ANYTHING. "Oh, yes, this sautee of leech soaked in chicken-liver brine is quite savory. It's melting in my mouth! Oh I wish I had some more!"

edit: Ah, I see I have already addressed horrid old new american iron chef.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

They need a spin off called Irony Chef, where the chefs cook up complete crap, and try to pass it off as good food, just to see which judges will admit to the food being crap.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

15-16 puzzle wrote:They need a spin off called Irony Chef, where the chefs cook up complete crap, and try to pass it off as good food, just to see which judges will admit to the food being crap.
i think you are on to something. have a fake iron chef (like those fake millionaire reality shows) and invite b-list celebs like the ones on the surreal life, and get their reactions to what they think is 4 star dining by some shlubb.
Hi!
nicegeoff
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Aerosmith JR.

Post by nicegeoff »

c hack wrote:Iron Chef is second only to Good Eats with Alton Brown.
I second this.
make love, not music
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Alton Brown's a badass, I'm of the opinion.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Hi!
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by prayformojo »

jack shite wrote:Iron Chef Samples!
Awesome. I have been inspired to sample them ALLLLLLLLLLLL!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

this has to be heard to be believed.

man, i'd be all up for organizing an iron chef mashup sidefight.
Hi!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

jack shite wrote:the cooking, which is absolutely incredible
i like iron chef, but i find myself wanting to know what many of the things taste like. and i have no idea whatsoever what it would taste like.

1516 is funny man.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Chen Konichi isn't an Iron Chef's arsehole as far as I'm concerned. He's a disgrace to Kitchen Stadium.

And why isn't there an Iron Chef English? That would be bloody funny.
Or Iron Chef American... Iron Chef Fatto Bastardo?

And surely, if they were fair dinkum about this show, then any Iron Chef who loses to a challenger should have to commit seppuku on the spot. And have his assistants arrange his remains decoratively on a plate and serve them up to the judges. That would be great television. Old Chen Konichi would pull his finger out then, wouldn't he.