SongWar: The Extra-long Fight (The Jig (Is Up))

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Jim of Seattle wrote: I guess the conclusion is, give people extra time, and nothing happens. Interesting...
Oddly, that's EXACTLY what I would have expected. I mean, I had my whole life to write a song and never did. It was the one week deadline which created the necessary urgency.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Jim of Seattle wrote:DEADLINE EXTENSION #2

Due to the amusing lack of entries (grand total of ONE (very good) entry), I'm extending the deadline to

<font color=blue size=4>FEBRUARY 21</font>
hey, we hadn't got to the last deadline yet had we? I was going to post an (admittedly unfinished) entry tonight - but now I won't - I shall poilish it up a little more, maybe.

Anyway - the extension is appreciated - The Voice Inside Penny's Caravan will hopefully have an entry - I'm just trying to get my wife organised to finish off vocals for me.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

That sucks. Loyalty Day just spent all day finishing our entry so we could send it in on time tomorrow. :(
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

[quote="Jim of Seattle] (grand total of ONE (very good) entry)[/quote] Either you're being very smug or you should take the plank out of your eye before the mote out of others' :)
Waltzin' Matildhus wrote: The Voice Inside Penny's Caravan
Is it just me or is this an awesomely creepy name for a band? Sounds like a children's book that gets removed from council library shelves after the discovery of some unpleasant sub-text .... :)

Well, actually, the deadline extension is great for me, and not neccessarily for the rest of you, because it means the collab that was meant to happen and didn't, due to over-committment by me elsewhere, may yet. happen.

j$
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Hahaha, J$, what I meant was that there was only one entry, and that it happened to be very good. I did not mean that there was only one good entry, although, technically, that is true. Here is the breakdown of entries, categorized by their quality:

Good entries: 1
So-so entries: 0
Bad entries: 0
TOTAL ENTRIES: 1

Does that clarify things?

For crynoutloud, people, I would never say something like "There was only one good entry, so I'm extending the deadline".
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Spud wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote: I guess the conclusion is, give people extra time, and nothing happens. Interesting...
Oddly, that's EXACTLY what I would have expected. I mean, I had my whole life to write a song and never did. It was the one week deadline which created the necessary urgency.
Smartypants. Well, like I once heard some famous inventor guy say, just because it didn't work out like I hoped doesn't mean the experiment was a failure.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Dear Jim,

I think you jumped the gun. As you set the Due Date as Feb. 7th it seems to me that we would have until Midnight on the 7th to submit our entries, not the 6th. I don't mean to split hairs, but just because you only had one entry the day before the deadline, it doesn't mean there weren't others.

Loyalty Day will now keep our song a secret until the 20th in case this fight is cancelled due to a lack of participation.

I just feel like you invited me to a potluck and cancelled after I had already cooked my dish.

Be well,
Ken
Last edited by ken on Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
LMNOP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LMNOP »

Dan-O wrote: LMNOP sucks Cheetos until they are dry and lifeless.
Good to see you back on the boards, Dan. You should never forget that I control your avatar.
Spud wrote:
Songfight is great as it is and probably only works as a benevolent (or not) dictatorship.

That being said, I appreciated the extra time on this sidefight, having worked about 10-11 hours a day every day but one between Jan 3 and Feb 4. No way I could even think about doing a weeker. If not for the first extension, I wouldn't have been able to participate in this one. Still, I hadn't recorded a thing prior to 11AM on Saturday. So the extra time (1) simply allowed my participation, and (2) opened the door for arranging and recording horns.

Thanks, Jim, for throwing this out there.

EDIT: It felt weird having my tune out there two weeks before the deadline so I changed the filename. I'll change it back on the 20th.
Last edited by LMNOP on Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

OK, I did jump the gun. I got a little confused with my dates. And I also bailed too quickly, having received only one entry the day before. Big apologies to Loyalty Day. Sorry, man. I would have extended anyway, since I would have only gotten two.

However, I'm glad that I gave LMNOP a chance to record something that couldn't be done in a week. Yay.

Loyalty Day, now that you have two extra weeks, you have the chance to re-record that track that wasn't quite right, or whatever. Make lemonade, dude!

My project with my Microsoft band isn't happening. A co-worker went out of town, and the dot com millionarie retiree who's garage was turned into a studio and who owns and plays tons of different guitars couldn't be corralled. Bummer.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

LMNOP wrote:Good to see you back on the boards, Dan. You should never forget that I control your avatar.
Ladies and Gentlemen, please remain calm. Terrorists have taken control of my avatar. Although they have promised not to turn it into anything offensive, I do not believe them. I must make it known at this point that it is my policy not to negotiate with those who would resort to such uncivilized behavior. I therefore cannot take any responsibility for the content that may appear in the little box on the left.

I would also like to say that I'm mildly better looking than the representation currently shown. Mildly.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

because i'm too lazy to PM.
Caravan Ray wrote:I was going to post an (admittedly unfinished) entry tonight - but now I won't - I shall poilish it up a little more, maybe.
hey so you never really said if you were happy with the stuff i sent you -- since we've got some extra time, let me know if maybe you want something more or something different added?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

tviyh wrote:because i'm too lazy to PM.
Caravan Ray wrote:I was going to post an (admittedly unfinished) entry tonight - but now I won't - I shall poilish it up a little more, maybe.
hey so you never really said if you were happy with the stuff i sent you -- since we've got some extra time, let me know if maybe you want something more or something different added?
Yes - I think we can drag something together out of that - I like the keyboard stuff especially - it seems to be draggin the piece in a slightly different direction. I'm still trying to get my wife to finish the vocals for me - I'll try to send you an update before post date
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Jim of Seattle wrote:DEADLINE EXTENSION #2

Due to the amusing lack of entries (grand total of ONE (very good) entry), I'm extending the deadline to

<font color=blue size=4>FEBRUARY 21</font>

OK,
The Voice Inside Penny's Caravan is in.

Let's get this show on the road
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Jim of Seattle wrote:OK, my Depp Throat has insisted I correct the title. This is somehow important to him, so the title has officially changed to

<font color=blue size=4>The Jig (Is Up)</font>
I just realised I've left the parentheseeses off the title in the lyrics thread - please apologise to your Depp Throat
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

I'm out of this and possibly forever. I'm just getting too busy and I kind of am in the same boat as the Leafster and not really feeling that title. I can't seem to get the word jig to remove itself from irish music. Sober? Collab maybe? Naaaa...... not in. Sorry Jimbo.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

OK, so now we have a quorum of songs. I'm posting a poll tomorrow with all the entries. Anyone else who's in, you've got another day to finish up. There aren't a lot of songs here, so if you're on the fence, get off the fence.

Pablo, I can't believe what I'm hearing! No wait, I can totally believe what I'm hearing. Time is a killer. My job this year has made my schedule insane. That's why all the teeny little Ants (Invisible) songs.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Yeah... time and a title that didn't give me a mental woody... I guess Tone and I COULD have collabed on this one...but we be lyric-less. But Time can be a problem...certainly kept me out of this coming week's fight.

Well, I'm looking forward to the assumption that sober did a cool number for this fight.... just an assumption....
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

well, cashpoint and i had been emailing a bit on this title. i had come up with a lyric concept and then a further twist on the concept, but we didn't actually get the rest of them written or any music recorded. oh well. good idea, jim, it just didn't really come together. we do hope to write it sometime!
also, congrats on coming up with a way to be able to compete in normal fights.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Yes apologies to Bill and to all others who were counting on DB&tIPs to make up the numbers. This FAWM thing, plus a busy work period and a sick partner have meant that I have had to put a couple of very cool collabs on the side for the time being, but time is fast becoming less pressing and I have a week off at the beginning of March. The lyrical concept Bill had was very good so we will do it if we can - you'll just have to order a copy of the first album to hear it, I guess :)

j$
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

OK, the fight is done. We have very few entries, but I'm putting together a poll today or tomorrow. I was going to make a whole web page for it, but I changed my mind, as there aren't really enough entries to warrant it. Thanks for submitting those who did! Stay tuned....