Song Fight Live, 2007 - August 16-18 - Atlanta, GA USA

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

Difficulty in the houuussseeeee.

Anyone who spends more than 2 hours with the JB know he's a big ol' teddybear who loves the ladies. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to know he finally snagged an awesome one! (or at least that's the word on the street... not the snagging part... the awesome part.)

I also heard Eric gave me a barbed faux shout out in in the form of saying he could actually play his "Secrets" since a certain songfighter who frequently performs it wasn't there to steal it from him. (Again, just the word on the street.)
White people, is you funky?
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

prayformojo wrote:Difficulty in the houuussseeeee.

Anyone who spends more than 2 hours with the JB know he's a big ol' teddybear who loves the ladies. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to know he finally snagged an awesome one! (or at least that's the word on the street... not the snagging part... the awesome part.)

I also heard Eric gave me a barbed faux shout out in in the form of saying he could actually play his "Secrets" since a certain songfighter who frequently performs it wasn't there to steal it from him. (Again, just the word on the street.)
Okay, I fully admit that I had enough beers in me to be wrong, but I swear that what I think I said was closer to "I usually come to these things secure in the knowledge that someone else can play this song awesomely, but since he's not here tonight, y'all will have to listen to me play it not-so-well."

Straight up, that song is yours like hardwood floors.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

If only we had recordings of what I said, we could settle this simply and quickly.
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jefff »

Yeah, I don't think I painted it quite like Chris phrased it, but seriously: is there anything Erik could say while he's on stage that wouldn't sound barbed? Or at least annoyed?

It's part of the charm.
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Jefff »

PS -- I don't think Chris is offended. He just mentions it so he can talk about himself. :D

With love, people. With love.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

You're all cocky half-way across the internet, Flapjack, but wait till the next time I'm on stage. I will destroy you with barbs.

[/charm]
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

I'm far from offended. In fact, I'm quite honored to be though of during your set.

Jeff's right, if I saw a 15-16 show without at least one stop/start and a handful of barbed looks and comments I would be dissapointed. There is a reason you are a Songfight legend, my friend, and I am very sad I missed what seems to be a marquee display of awesome from you.

And yes, my ego requires that I insert myself into situations which I wasn't even in the state for. For further proof, see my cell phone appearance midway through Jeff's set... and my referencing of said cell phone apperance here.

Also, that pisture of Oates with a PBST may be one of my new single favorite images ever.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

If anyone is interested in that image, as I was, check this out:

http://www.myspace.com/johnoateswillfuckingkillu

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

prayformojo wrote: And yes, my ego requires that I insert myself into situations which I wasn't even in the state for.
So....you'd be pretty devastated if Erik was actually referring to Nick Waters's cover of Secrets, wouldn't you? *ahem*
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

I prefer the Loyalty Day version myself.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by prayformojo »

frankie big face wrote:
prayformojo wrote: And yes, my ego requires that I insert myself into situations which I wasn't even in the state for.
So....you'd be pretty devastated if Erik was actually referring to Nick Waters's cover of Secrets, wouldn't you? *ahem*
Nope. Nick has never performed it live. And I got permission from both him and Erik before I rolled it into my live set... both of whom I credit whenever I perform it.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

I noticed there's also a Glenn Case version of the song (currently 404 in the sidefight archive). How many recordings of this song exist?! "Secrets" is Erik's "Yesterday" apparently.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

frankie big face wrote:I noticed there's also a Glenn Case version of the song (currently 404 in the sidefight archive). How many recordings of this song exist?! "Secrets" is Erik's "Yesterday" apparently.
As I've already mentioned in one of the daily roll calls...it is in fact one of the more memorable songfight live moments for me there in Lancaster. (pronounced Laincaster with no emphasis on any syllable) I still have video somewhere of that I think. I THINK.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

It is a great song and it gets stuck in everybody's head and nobody minds.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

...and my folks got to experience it first hand.

Which brings me to another point. Why in the hell did nobody take a picture of my folks who came down from their mountain hideaway to the big city to see their son from Tampa play a total of 4 songs, 2 of which contain incest references? I hate you...I HATE ALL OF YOU !!!

*picks up ball and storms out of room.

...<font size="1"><i>or are there and I'm just blind...I'll go look again</i></font>
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Jefff »

Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

*Hoblit quietly steps back in and places ball on playing field

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that. The page loads slow so I was only looking at thumbs...just missed it I guess. My pops looks evil in the picture...hes not evil. He's quite possibly the least evil guy on the planet. If I aim at just being half the man he is I'll turn out all right.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

frankie big face wrote:I noticed there's also a Glenn Case version of the song (currently 404 in the sidefight archive). How many recordings of this song exist?! "Secrets" is Erik's "Yesterday" apparently.
<a href="http://www.glenncase.com/music/covers/g ... .mp3">Here it be.</a>

I recorded a few 15-16 covers to ensure 15 songs on the first day of the Hxaro, and 16 on the second.

ROCK!

Glenn Case
Sheail
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars, keys
Submitting as: Idle Susan, Sheail, Mother Funker

Post by Sheail »

At last I'm home! People are driving on the left, they're pronouncing monty python correctly, everything is right with the world again.
As it turned out most of the photos I took were pretty awful but I have posted a few on my Facebook page. Search for Michael Sheail and you'll find it.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Mmm, welcome back home (can I say that if I'm not there?). Great you came all that way to come to the show!

I found out that a guy I know from Tapegerm would have come to the show, but his email got automatically filed into my spam folder. Drat!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

Sheail wrote:At last I'm home! People are driving on the left, they're pronouncing monty python correctly, everything is right with the world again.
As it turned out most of the photos I took were pretty awful but I have posted a few on my Facebook page. Search for Michael Sheail and you'll find it.
There's a different way to pronounce Monty Python!?
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
bwell
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, piano, bass, mandolin
Submitting as: The BeWells

Post by bwell »

I finally got back from my vacation last night. My sister and I had a great time this year. It was nice seeing some familiar faces and meeting other songfighters for the first time. Thanks to JB for hosting and making the arrangements for this year's event.

Now that I am back online, I tried putting some pictures up over here. That set include pictures from both Lindsay's camera and mine arranged mostly in chronological order.

-andy (The BeWells)