Brian Wilson - Smile

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
michael gum
A New Player

Brian Wilson - Smile

Post by michael gum »

Downloaded it today... absolutely beautiful.

Comes out this Tuesday. Definitely gonna buy it.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

ooh, i've been waiting for this.
i didn't realize it was tuesday, thanks.

-craig
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

I am eager to hear this record. Loved early Beach Boys records. Brian Wilson - Production Genius. Thanks for filling me in on the release date. I think he's playing here in Toronto sometime soon at Roy Thompson Hall. Better check into it.......
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

michael gum... while i see you on a post haha... i figured i'd tell you...

that i haven't been able to stop listenin' to your 'are you having fun?' song yet... that has got to be on my new top 10 list of all time... if you ever get it done professionally or put out a CD that has it on it... let me know... \m/
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

So I don't get it. Smile was the Sgt. Pepper that Wilson never finished in the 60's. So what is this Smile supposed to be?
michael gum
A New Player

Post by michael gum »

Jim of Seattle wrote:So I don't get it. Smile was the Sgt. Pepper that Wilson never finished in the 60's. So what is this Smile supposed to be?
The same Smile, just rerecorded.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

hm i never heard of this album before, but i am wondering why brian wilson would want to do a "sgt pepper" when that album was made as an attempt to recreate "pet sounds"??
nicegeoff
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Aerosmith JR.

Post by nicegeoff »

tviyh wrote:hm i never heard of this album before, but i am wondering why brian wilson would want to do a "sgt pepper" when that album was made as an attempt to recreate "pet sounds"??
as the legend goes, the beatles and brian wilson were having a friendly competition to see who could produce the most landmark album of the 1960s...Pet Sounds was a response to Rubber Soul....and so on....

I just heard the new SMiLE, and....shit...it's kind of a relief, I was so afraid new production would fuck it up, but it remains pretty faithful, even sonically...My only complaint is the aging Wilson's voice...but that's kind of minor.
make love, not music
Nau,D
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Nau,D »

I have tix to Brians first show of the tour here in Minneapolis, 10th row. cant wait to finally hear this masterpiece performed live. For anyone wanting any bootleg recordings of Brians Smile tour in Europe let me know. I think I have a couple from amsterdam from about 4 months ago. Quality is not good but the band nails it live.
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

Brian Wilson said

Post by Bolio »

Saw Brian Wilson perform the entire 'Pet Sounds' album here a couple years ago. It was incredible. He is like a child now: 'You're gonna really love the next song (giggling)' He even went into a version of 'In bed like Brian Wilson.' Highly recommended to all.
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

sadly i have never heard/seen him live. but i was way stoked when i read a review of his big comeback show a few years back, and they said he opened up with barenaked ladies' "brian wilson"...
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Did I mention this CD broke my combo drive? Yeah, there was a factory defect, and my drive won't read anything anymore. It just kinda hums.

It was almost worth it. :roll:
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
hujhax
A New Player

Post by hujhax »

I've been listening to SMiLE all week. Gotta agree that Mr Wilson's voice isn't what it used to be, but damn, this album is good. When I first got it, I was just going to listen to the first couple of tracks; instead I found myself turning on the monitors and listening to it straight through. :)
Ogreasy!
A New Player

Post by Ogreasy! »

WOW, its great! I can't get this CD out of my player and can't get the tracks out of my iTunes!!
Its GREAT! The weirdness and bizarre masterpiece yadda yadda pwns my peenorz.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Ogreasy! wrote:I can't get this CD out of my player
that happened to me once, but it was a depeche mode CD. (i don't see how that was relevant though). i was in the process of turning the car off, and at the same time hit the "eject" button, and the power of the car stereo just totally died. no display, no sound, no anything. i thought a fuse had blown or something, but i tested the fuses and they were still AOK. then i realised the cd was still playing although there was no sound or anything, and none of the buttons had any effect. but it kept playing whether the car was on or off, and so eventually this drained the battery one time when i didn't drive anywhere for more than a day. and i tried to jump start it but the battery was just dead. so i replaced the battery and then WOW the cd player started working again! it was freaky.

the really freaky part was, i didn't listen to that cd for a couple of months, and the next time i did, the car broke down and it turns out the fuel pump went bad and needed replaced. i haven't listened to depeche mode since.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

I concur, it's really great. I don't know why people are saying his voice isn't what it once was; it sounds fine to me. Better than fine.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

OK, so I finally got round to buying this album (well my other half did actually) and several listens in I am still distinctly non-plussed.

It's pretty, I grant you.

It sounds like a Beach Boys album recorded with less instrumentation and with the benefits of technology's advances in the studio. But actually more instrumentation and the warm fuzzy sound is what I love about the Beach Boys so much. the stand-out tracks are well, the ones you all know already, in order of public awareness - for me, it's a case of back in the sandbox, Brian!

j$