Thought I wouldn't ever want to be in reality T.V.

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Thought I wouldn't ever want to be in reality T.V.

Post by GlennCase »

As much as I didn't think I would ever apply to be on reality T.V., this one is too good to pass up.

http://www.inxsrockstar.com/notice.html

http://www.inxsrockstar.com/application.html

I consider "Kick" by INXS to be one of my fave albums ever. Songs from that album were amongst the first songs I ever tried to teach myself how to play.

Wanted to pass this on the community in the hopes that we could get a songfighter in the qualifying round. I will most definitely be trying out for this.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

DUUUUUUUDE.

Well, I'm underage and they're not coming anywhere near me anyway. Shucks. Good luck, Glenn!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Yeah, I'm totally up for this.

I'm in training to be the new Michael Hutchence already. I'm actually typing this while hanging naked from a doorway. This auto-erotic asphyxiation stuff is tricky though - I keep passing out before I can get my Kylie Minogue doll fully inflated.
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

Crap. I'm only 18. Thats so unfair.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:Crap. I'm only 18. Thats so unfair.
Look on the bright side, there are other competitions (such as American Idol) where you can't get on there unless you are UNDER a certain age.

From my perspective, It's nice to have one like this where old fogeys such as myself qualify.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Last edited by GlennCase on Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

This seems kind of tacky to me.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

It is. And from INXS, no less. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't ROCK to have Glenn Case as the next lead singer of INXS. Or even for him to be on TV.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

Caravan Ray wrote:Yeah, I'm totally up for this.

I'm in training to be the new Michael Hutchence already. I'm actually typing this while hanging naked from a doorway. This auto-erotic asphyxiation stuff is tricky though - I keep passing out before I can get my Kylie Minogue doll fully inflated.
OUCH!... just... OUCH!

See, I'm torn on this too.

There are different angles I am seeing on this.

1. Michael Hutchence was absolutely legendary in my opinion, there is no one that will fit in that band as well as he did, but one can only hope that the person who tries, is genuine.

2. When a band member dies, does that mean that the rest of the band are now no longer allowed to make music?

One could argue that the band should change it's name, sure. Maybe they would be able to do that through this show, and get a built-in audience to boot. I don't know.

Here is where I am coming from with this. I would hate to see someone win this contest strictly on the basis that they are a pretty boy/girl that looks the part, but doesn't have the soul. The songs from "Kick" were amongst the first songs that influenced me to be a musician.

I am not the best vocalist out there, but I know myself well enough to know that I would give my 110%.

Tacky or not, they are already doing this. The least I can do is kick some ass in the audition, and maybe get a chance to play on the same stage /meet some of my childhood idols.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

GlennCase wrote:There are different angles I am seeing on this.

1. Michael Hutchence was absolutely legendary in my opinion, there is no one that will fit in that band as well as he did, but one can only hope that the person who tries, is genuine.

2. When a band member dies, does that mean that the rest of the band are now no longer allowed to make music?

One could argue that the band should change it's name, sure. Maybe they would be able to do that through this show, and get a built-in audience to boot. I don't know.
Many bands have survived the death of a key band member, some have changed their names, and some have not. A band member dying does not mean that the rest of the band has to pack it in. I don't think it's tacky that they are trying to replace him; but rather that they are using his death to make money and to possibly jumpstart their careers.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

15-16 puzzle wrote:
GlennCase wrote:There are different angles I am seeing on this.

Many bands have survived the death of a key band member, some have changed their names, and some have not. A band member dying does not mean that the rest of the band has to pack it in. I don't think it's tacky that they are trying to replace him; but rather that they are using his death to make money and to possibly jumpstart their careers.
Potentially INXS could survive MH's death - after all, what made them significant was their use of synths in rocknroll - way back in the late 70's/early 80's - before anyone hade ever really done it before. It was the Farris brothers and the other blokes in the band who really put the sound together. MH was enormously important to their sound - but not integral. It's just like AC/DC - who survived the loss of the enormously charismatic Bon Scott - but went onto much bigger things with the new dude.

The thing is though - INXS ran out of steam long ago - they hadn't done anything significant for a long long time. They actually started touring recently with Jon Stevens (some loser who played in a few crap Aust,. bands - now he's on a reality TV show) as lead singer. All they did was play the old INXS songs - so they're not really a band - just a tribute band - "The INXS Show" (sort of like how I read recently the Doors are going to tour with the dude from The Cult)

I just find it bizarre that the other blokes in the band are even bothering with this rubbish - surely they've made enough cash to spend the rest of their lives snorting cocaine of $1000 hookers every morning before breakfast. Why become a parody of themselves.

Actually - just as an aside - I was listening to some INXS not long ago and was amazed how dated a lot of it sounded. It reminded me a bit of some stuff I've heard on Songfight - like when you get a less-than-skilled drum programmer (like me) mucking about with Fruity Loops.

EDIT
-----------
Just realised I may have seriously given my age away by describing Brian Johnstone from AC/DC as "the new dude". I'm guessing that many Songfighters weren't even born when Bon died - nor even knew that AC/DC ever had a different lead singer.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Kick is an awesome album.
Also one of my favorites of my growing-up days... ahh, 1987, I was 14.
Go for it, Glenn!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

Both of you make some very good points.
15-16 puzzle wrote: Many bands have survived the death of a key band member, some have changed their names, and some have not. A band member dying does not mean that the rest of the band has to pack it in. I don't think it's tacky that they are trying to replace him; but rather that they are using his death to make money and to possibly jumpstart their careers.
I can't really argue much with this. Who knows if it is strictly money that motivated them to do this, or what other factors exist. I doubt the band members had thought of things from that perspective. Tough to say, really.
Caravan Ray wrote:Potentially INXS could survive MH's death - after all, what made them significant was their use of synths in rocknroll - way back in the late 70's/early 80's - before anyone hade ever really done it before. It was the Farris brothers and the other blokes in the band who really put the sound together. MH was enormously important to their sound - but not integral. It's just like AC/DC - who survived the loss of the enormously charismatic Bon Scott - but went onto much bigger things with the new dude.

The thing is though - INXS ran out of steam long ago - they hadn't done anything significant for a long long time. They actually started touring recently with Jon Stevens (some loser who played in a few crap Aust,. bands - now he's on a reality TV show) as lead singer. All they did was play the old INXS songs - so they're not really a band - just a tribute band - "The INXS Show" (sort of like how I read recently the Doors are going to tour with the dude from The Cult)
One of the things I had noticed about the rules/entry forms is that they are encouraging folks to play original material. People are not required to play an INXS song during the auditions. Maybe they are planning on trying to break away from that very image of "The INXS show". Again, I can't speak on behalf of the guys, and what is motivating them to do this. All I know is that they are doing it, and that presents an opportunity for some unknown talent to be discovered. Tacky or not, there could be some nice things to come out of it.

So, You guys wish me luck anyway?

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

best of luck i hope you kick some ass \m/
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Give 'em Hell, Glenn. You'd be a fantastic choice. Hopefully they see it that way too.

Incidentally, Shabooh Shoobah is my favorite INXS album. The One Thing and Don't Change are the best.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

jimtyrrell wrote:Give 'em Hell, Glenn. You'd be a fantastic choice. Hopefully they see it that way too.

Incidentally, Shabooh Shoobah is my favorite INXS album. The One Thing and Don't Change are the best.
Thanks Jim! (Thanks also to Poor June and Heuristics Inc., as well as Erik and Ray for their honest feedback on this.)

Incidentally, Shabooh Shabooh is one of the few INXS albums I DON'T have. I have the self titled album, The swing, Listen Like Thieves, Kick, X, Live Baby Live, Welcome to wherever you are, and Full Moon, Dirty Hearts.

They are all on what is now a dinosaur of recorded media that they call the "Cassette tape." I have "Kick" on tape and CD.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

i kind of doubt that it was the band's idea to make money off the death of hutchence. i doubt they sat around the table drinking a few pints and decided "eh, the bloke's dead. let's make money off him..."

all of this smells more like a calculated marketing effort from management/record label. and as for touring and playing old INXS songs....well, people shelled out $ to hear INXS and goddammit thats what they want to hear. not 4 guys from INXS playing songs they've never heard before. and i doubt the former members of INXS are living high off the hog right now from their royalties. they were never THAT popular, but they are still popular enough to make money off the 80's rock/baby boomer market, maybe playing the winery/amusement park circuit.

good luck glenn. i think it's great you show ambition and motivation to take your music to a broader audience, regardless of what others think.
Hi!
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

hey, Glenn, the idea of you auditioning...fuck ya! go for it! With your songwriting ability, I'm sure you could shake them back into relevance man!

Of course, I bet the marketing wizards wiwll select Josh Woodward though...

As far as the "tacky" comment goes, or concern about profiting from his death, well, all that matters, if you (Glenn) prove successful, is what kinda guys the band really are. I bet Shite is right, seperate the marketing business machine from the musicians...kinda like watching "bands reunited", a goofy show that screams of exploitation, yet it is fantastic when you see a group get together and rekindle some magic... so it's all perspective...if you want to spend all your time being a negative critic, you can see that side of things, or you can move on and just lpay attention to the cool aspects.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

Thanks again, guys.

Just so you know, I am totally wearing my MC Frontalot shirt in my audition video, and I am wearing my Song Fight Live Austin shirt at the live audition if I get that far ;)

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

sadly it appears the nearest to me they are coming is either NYC or nashville...

i'm pretty sure i wouldn't want to subject myself to trying out for something like this anyway though; as much as i dig INXS i'm pretty sure they'd want someone who has some degree of singing talent probably.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I didn't even realize INXS was still together. Huh.

But hey, I've got nothing better to do on the 30th.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

Excellent. Good Luck to you, Fluffy.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Go for it Glenn. Go for it Fluffy.

And whomever said INXS hadn't done anything substantial in a while, I disagree. Up until MH's death, INXS was still putting out good music. Just the other day I was listening to some old cassettes and found what I thought was some old INXS. Then I quickly realized, it was "Elegantly Wasted". It held up pretty well alongside the classic INXS stuff.