Instrumental Fight: possible inclusion Forest Svc video

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Instrumental Fight: possible inclusion Forest Svc video

Post by jb »

Heyas,

I have another side-fight/opportunity for y'all. Some folks are working on a video about mountainbiking, to be distributed by the Forest Service. They need music for this video, and they have no budget. So one of the dudes working on it sent out an email to his friends, and one of those friends forwarded his request to me. And so I'm forwarding it, via Mighty SF.NET Side Fight Power, to you all.

This is an <b>Instrumental Side Fight</b>. No lyrics or words are allowed. Oohs and ahs are ok, but since there will be a voiceover on top of the musici in this video, they are <i>discouraged</i>. Here is some verbage that describes what kind of music they are looking for:
<i>as this is for the forest service, and not extreme bike mag, there is a point to the video other than shredding through woods.

the video (while incorporating a lot of riding footage, the obligatory crashes, and lots of helmet cam) is mostly about building trails that are sustainable, and the whole philosophy behind thinking about, planning, and properly constructing trails, as opposed to blazing one in by riding it over and over, or widening a deer trail.

the point being, rawk is actually not what we are looking for. i had a share ware song which happened to include an electic guitar with a bit of distortion, and some old gummer in austin was not happy with it...not in tune with FS he claimed.

we do want something 'edgy' and not with fiddles as most FS vids seem to include, but understand that MTV's headbangers ball isn't going to fly.</i>
There is no money involved in this in any way. If your music is chosen, it will be used for this video only. I'm sure a rudimentary contract can be produced to ensure that your work is used appropriately, if you feel the need for one, or if the video's producers feel it is necessary. Argue about that AFTER the fight. There are no guarantees, so have fun making the music and then hope for the best. It could turn out like "Happy Machine Ankle" and nothing at all will happen. On the other hand, it could be neat to hear your stuff in a video.

Links to entries will be taken in this thread. This is a self-hosted fight, which will be presented in the CoverFight voting mechanism. <b>If you want to be in the video, you must be able to produce a WAV of your piece.</b> This does not guarantee that your music will be used.

SUMMARY
<b>Deadine: January 12, 2005</b>
<b>Coverfight Voting Format</b>
<b>Instrumental Music Only. No vocals, Oohs and Aahs discouraged</b>
<b>Self-hosted sidefight. Submit entries via this thread</b>
<b>Possible (unpaid) inclusion in Forest Service mountainbiking video</b>

OK GO NUTS.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Re: Instrumental Fight: possible inclusion Forest Svc video

Post by HeuristicsInc »

jb wrote:It could turn out like "Happy Machine Ankle" and nothing at all will happen.
interesting...
could be like the "Trashwagon" fight and nothing could happen too :)
Although just this week the TW dude himself found my site:
http://www.heuristicsinc.com/buildpage. ... ON!&info=1
pretty cool.

anyway, you know i like instrumentals. maybe i'll enter!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Is there any word on time limitations? Like, "our video will be X minutes long, so we need X minutes of music to fill it."
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

bzl wrote:Is there any word on time limitations? Like, "our video will be X minutes long, so we need X minutes of music to fill it."
You can safely assume that your piece will (if chosen) be butchered to fit the video's needs. They might say "hey! there's ten seconds in this Charcoal piece that's perfect for this dude getting hit in the nuts by a pair of handlebars!" Or they might say "This 2 minute Charcoal section is perfect for underpinning the beauty of this natural vista that we pan across as the mountainbikers enjoy the stunning american landscape as only mountainbikers can."
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

jb wrote:You can safely assume that your piece will (if chosen) be butchered to fit the video's needs. They might say "hey! there's ten seconds in this Charcoal piece that's perfect for this dude getting hit in the nuts by a pair of handlebars!" Or they might say "This 2 minute Charcoal section is perfect for underpinning the beauty of this natural vista that we pan across as the mountainbikers enjoy the stunning american landscape as only mountainbikers can."
There is a great disparity in the relative likelihoods of those two scenarios.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

bzl wrote:
jb wrote:You can safely assume that your piece will (if chosen) be butchered to fit the video's needs. They might say "hey! there's ten seconds in this Charcoal piece that's perfect for this dude getting hit in the nuts by a pair of handlebars!" Or they might say "This 2 minute Charcoal section is perfect for underpinning the beauty of this natural vista that we pan across as the mountainbikers enjoy the stunning american landscape as only mountainbikers can."
There is a great disparity in the relative likelihoods of those two scenarios.
Listening to ten seconds of Charcoal usually makes me feel like I've been hit in the nuts by a pair of handlebars :wink:
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Caravan Ray wrote:Listening to ten seconds of Charcoal usually makes me feel like I've been hit in the nuts by a pair of handlebars :wink:
Man, if I had a dollar for every time someone's said that. Also you have just made all the people who quote each other in their .signatures very jealous. :p
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: gtr, bs, drms, kbds
Recording Method: microphones and instruments
Submitting as: Squirrel Damage

Post by Tony Asbestos »

I'm not sure about all of this. I just want to be on the record as having said so. Does anyone know a good place to get pistachio butter?
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Tony Asbestos wrote:I'm not sure about all of this. I just want to be on the record as having said so. Does anyone know a good place to get pistachio butter?
Optional title challenge:
Pastachio Butter...the Forest Service's drug of choice

This is so cool, btw. SF should rule the FS!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

jb wrote:
<i>as this is for the forest service, and not extreme bike mag, there is a point to the video other than shredding through woods.

the video (while incorporating a lot of riding footage, the obligatory crashes, and lots of helmet cam) is mostly about building trails that are sustainable, and the whole philosophy behind thinking about, planning, and properly constructing trails, as opposed to blazing one in by riding it over and over, or widening a deer trail.

the point being, rawk is actually not what we are looking for. i had a share ware song which happened to include an electic guitar with a bit of distortion, and some old gummer in austin was not happy with it...not in tune with FS he claimed.

we do want something 'edgy' and not with fiddles as most FS vids seem to include, but understand that MTV's headbangers ball isn't going to fly.</i>
optional challenge: Edgy Fiddles!
Hi!
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

I'm in. Hopefully I can convince Redcar to be in this one. Thanks JB. I like this also cuz I'm a hard-core cyclist and I can totally relate to the uphill battle......

Peace and Merry Ho-Ho!!!

;p
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

bump.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Will you be submitting all the songs, or just the winner(s)?

Do they want background music for the whole video, or just a catchy song for the beginning/end? Or both?
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

c hack wrote:Will you be submitting all the songs, or just the winner(s)?

Do they want background music for the whole video, or just a catchy song for the beginning/end? Or both?
They have the URL for this thread, so they can listen to everything and pick what they want. They didn't specify what kind of stuff they want exactly or where it would go. Make as much or as little as you want, of whatever tone and style, keeping in mind the guidelines in the introductory post. You could come up with some like, two-second bumpers if you wanted. Maybe that would be useful, I dunno, maybe not.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

well, i did this for the Lost themeshow sidefight that sort of got uh.....lost....

it's only :35 of instrumental but i think it fits the mountain biking theme pretty good. at least for a ripping downhill singletrack sequence in the woods. feel free to use it, submit it, or just plain ignore it. :)
Hi!
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

jack shite wrote:well, i did this for the Lost themeshow sidefight that sort of got uh.....lost....
It's not lost, it's in full effect. The deadline is still Midnight on the Tuesday before the last episode of the series. It looks like there'll be 15 eps total, and the finale will be on Feb 09.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
MouthReliant
A New Player

Post by MouthReliant »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
jb wrote:It could turn out like "Happy Machine Ankle" and nothing at all will happen.
interesting...
could be like the "Trashwagon" fight and nothing could happen too :)
Although just this week the TW dude himself found my site:
http://www.heuristicsinc.com/buildpage. ... ON!&info=1
pretty cool.

anyway, you know i like instrumentals. maybe i'll enter!
-bill
That's amazing! Fox is actually up here in Wisconsin helping me finish the movie. I'm still wondering how he heard about this before I did. I figured nobody wanted to enter anything. Anyhow, the movie should be done in a month or two.

-Tim Hansen
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

What happened with this? It totally slipped my mind. Was there a fight? Did someone win?