05/14/10 - Zephyr Vegetarian Cafe - Long Beach

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Re: 05/14/10 - Zephyr Vegetarian Cafe - Long Beach

Post by Ross »

fluffy wrote:Oh wow, this is coming up real soon. I've got to get my wrists under control - they've been hurting again lately.

Anyone interested in splitting a hotel room? It looks like there are many excellent nearby options. I was planning on arriving Thursday night and leaving Sunday, although I have Monday off as well so I could extend it until then.

Jack, am I picking you up, or just the PA? Either way we need to hash out details - PM me with your address and such.

How long are the sets going to be?

Oh man I'm so excited!
I'm planning on 30 minute or less sets. I sent a pm with details, let me know if i should resend, or if i somehow missed you.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Todd McHatton wrote:Just saw this and would like very much to try and attend.
Haven't had time to read through the whole thread yet. Am I too late?
Really bummed I missed Nur Ein too...
I've really got to visit these boards more often.
Not too late, let me know.

Ross
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

so what's the deal with the PA speakers? will there be any? i won't be bringing any and can't provide any.

fluffy, i'll PM you about logistics. i'm not sure i can stay as long as you want, but worse case scenario, i'll arrange to get you the PA if you need it.
Hi!
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

current plans are to bring the new electric uke and my dinky little amp, plus the old uke as a backup. Is there anything you guys need that I can possibly provide?
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

fluffy wrote:Anyone interested in splitting a hotel room? It looks like there are many excellent nearby options. I was planning on arriving Thursday night and leaving Sunday, although I have Monday off as well so I could extend it until then.
Never mind, just got a great deal on a single-bed room via Hotwire. Nyah.
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

jack wrote:so what's the deal with the PA speakers? will there be any? i won't be bringing any and can't provide any.

fluffy, i'll PM you about logistics. i'm not sure i can stay as long as you want, but worse case scenario, i'll arrange to get you the PA if you need it.
I'll check with mike lamb, whole i think said he could at least bring a 4x12 to use as a cab for the pa.
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Mike Lamb »

Can anyone who is planning on coming please PM me with their equipment needs that you are NOT providing yourself? I scanned over the thread, but I didn't see too many specifics. We do not have a PA specifically, but will be using amps and mixers to cover it. I want to make sure we have enough inputs, mics, etc., so please include how many mics you think you'll need, how many 1/4" inputs you'll need, and anything else that may be relevant.

I will be bringing at least a 4x12 cabinet and 100W head.

If you are bringing your own equipment, please bring sufficient power strips for all your gear.

Edit: If you've got an effects chain other than stompboxes (i.e. amp-based reverb or distortion) we may have issues supporting it, so let me know asap. It's too early in the planning stages to know if we'll be able to dedicate a guitar amp or have to push everything through the "PA" such as it is.

-Mike Lamb
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh, I just had an idea. I will be doing most of my set solo, but for the final song, how would all the ukulele and mandolin players (and some guitar players too I guess) come on stage for a gigantic chorus of Night Terrors?

The chord progression is pretty simple. It's all C, F, G and occasional G7. The verses are just:

C, F, G, C G
C, F, G, C G

and then the chorus is the almost-identical:

C, F, G, C G
C, F, G, G7, C

(note the extra measure at the end of the chorus)

When I play it live I add on an extra measure of the verse pattern at the beginning to lead into whistling the glockenspiel part, and the final chorus is played in a more sedate manner until the final G ("things go out of whack" etc.).
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

So, neither Jack nor his PA can come down with me, as it turns out. Bummer.

Here is what I'm bringing:

- Guitar + pickup + capo
- ukulele
- Small-ish guitar amp
- Cello (even if it's not used at the show maybe some of us can record a collaboration on the weekend)
- For recording the show (and the possible collab): MacBook, Inspire1394, 2 mic stands, 2 MXL V63M, cables
- power strip
- HD camera + tripod (it kind of sucks but it would be nice to have some video)
MintyHandy
Mean Street

Post by MintyHandy »

I'm up for the Night Terrors ending -- is it three ukuleles so far (Fluffy, J$, me) or will there be more? Makes me want to set up a "Uke It Out 2010" concert -- provided it quickly devolves into everyone beating each other over the head with their ukes.

EDIT: Hah! I just listened to Night Terrors. Hilarious arrangement. Who's going to play the xylophone? Do we have one? We need to have one. Or an organ. Or something. Or all of us going "doo doo doo." But something goofy. Maybe I'll turn up the tremlol on my eleuke and play those notes. I have no idea. I need a nap. Grar grar grar. Lack of sleep will kill us all. Tremlol? LOL. Tremolo.
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

I was planing on bringing my mandolin. I can also bring a uke.
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

MintyHandy wrote:I'm up for the Night Terrors ending -- is it three ukuleles so far (Fluffy, J$, me) or will there be more? Makes me want to set up a "Uke It Out 2010" concert -- provided it quickly devolves into everyone beating each other over the head with their ukes.

EDIT: Hah! I just listened to Night Terrors. Hilarious arrangement. Who's going to play the xylophone? Do we have one? We need to have one. Or an organ. Or something. Or all of us going "doo doo doo." But something goofy. Maybe I'll turn up the tremlol on my eleuke and play those notes. I have no idea. I need a nap. Grar grar grar. Lack of sleep will kill us all. Tremlol? LOL. Tremolo.
I was going to play a capo'd guitar for it. My second-to-last song in the set is the only other thing I play with a capo, which is a cover of someone else's song (I never write things for a capo).

When performing live I generally do the glockenspiel part on a kazoo or just whistling. This time I was planning on just whistling. We could do any number of things though! I'm open to suggestions. I could also bring my actual glockenspiel, although it doesn't have quite enough range for the song (I actually used a synth for the studio recording).

When I've been practicing it I've been changing up the tempo and dynamics as I go through, so I'd like to do a practice or demo for everyone before the show, but it's such a simple song that there's easy room for people to just fuck around and improvise and be awesome. Maybe the bridge bit could be everyone does a solo in turn. Who knows!
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

It would be cool if we could stream this like Lunkhead did in Spokane. I can bring a macbook, but I don't know what other mojo is required.
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I'm bringing a macbook and a recording interface as well. The only mojo we need for live streaming is an Internet connection. Does anyone know if Zephyr provides wi-fi?
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

A) I have the wifi question in to the owner

B) i will bring a uke

C) keep in mind that it's a restaurant during business hours so soundcheck/running things won't be super smooth
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

I am thinking of this performance order:

I (Ross) go first, get any sound wrinkles out of the way.

J$ goes second, let him play while some of the dinner crowd is still there (assuming I don't drive them out)

Kasper goes third, they requested to go early - ish.

That leaves Minty, Fluffy and Alex.

Any preferences or proposed changes?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I have no preference, aside from not going last (but it's not a strong preference).
MintyHandy
Mean Street

Post by MintyHandy »

I'm feeling pretty relaxed, can go whenever, or not at all if it comes to that. :D Four ukes is a very interesting number. Five ukes even moreso.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I am happy to go on whenever but I am concerned that the majority of my material is not "all-ages". Seems a little unfair on those innocent diners!
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Mike Lamb »

fluffy wrote:would all the ukulele and mandolin players (and some guitar players too I guess) come on stage for a gigantic chorus of Night Terrors?
I just listened to it, I'm sure I can play bass for it. Multi-ukes might have to share a mic or two. :-)
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Hey all, this happens tomorrow, may 14, at 7:pm. Expect a live stream. Perhaps two. I expect to set one up at tiny chat, where my laptop would be logged in showing the stage and other fighters could log in and chat while they watch the show. More info to come.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I just arrived at the Hyatt. Apparently $84/night isn't such a good deal after you consider all the extra little charges they add on afterward ($16/day parking, $10/day wifi - fortunately I am SAMRT and getting around the last one via cellphone tethering).

I was going to use my MacBook for recording the show, ideally with it hooked up to the sound system and with two room mics (I brought a pair of MXL V63m and cables/stands for them to that end). My interface also lets someone else chain off its line output if they want to use the monitor mix for ustream. It'll sound way better than the built-in mic on their laptop, at the very least, and would save on overall equipment needs.

I also brought my guitar, soundhole pickup, ukulele, cello, and guitar amp and stand. I don't expect the cello to get used during the show but I was going to bring it to Ross's alleged barbecue on Saturday (that's still on, right?) with the hopes that we have some sort of all-out jam session that we record for the fight.

Per the show, what time were we thinking of showing up at the venue tomorrow? It sounds like j$ is going to get there around 5, so I was thinking of getting there at the same time.

Also, I'm terrible at doing the tourist thing. What sorts of things should I check out while I'm here, anyway?