SongFight! Remix CD

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.

Is this a cool idea to you?

Yes.
95%
No.
No votes
Don't know.
5%

Total votes: 19
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

SongFight! Remix CD

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

Not exactly sure where to post this, but I've been thinking about doing a SongFight! Beat CD for a long time now with so much of the available high quality free and legal music that SF! provides. I just want to make sure that I have sample clearance from the artists who I've been thinking about sampling. I'm also wondering if anybody else has a favorite songfight song that they think would make a good sample set to make beats/breakbeats out of. Offer suggestions please, assuming you agree with idea in the first place.

Puce, do you like this yes/no should I get rid of it? I will delete it if you don't care for your samples to be used in this way. No problem. I just happen to really like your BB song, so I'm using it as the "example track" for now. If you like what you hear I will make a nice long version with more changes/samples.

<a href="http://www.cyberpunkx.com/ftp/store/puce_bb_remix.mp3" target="_blank">To download "puce_bb_remix.mp3", just Right-Click THIS link, then click "Save Target As..." or "Save Link As..."</a>.

EDIT[0]: Changed the artwork, bortweins suggestions where good.
EDIT[1]: Bortwiens changes to my artwork are cool.
Last edited by Southwest_Statistic on Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm back.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

If you're gonna be sampling Puce, you want to move directly to his "Fuzzy Logic."
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove

c hack wrote:If you're gonna be sampling Puce, you want to move directly to his "Fuzzy Logic."
I'm gonna be sampling whoever, but thanks I'll check it out.

EDIT: I went to Puce's website, but all his links to his songs appear to be bad. Darn.
Last edited by Southwest_Statistic on Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm back.
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

Interesting idea. I'd love to hear songfight songs remixed to have that Dance/Techno feeling as a collection.

From my stand point you are welcome to both of my crappy songs. Not like you could get much out of them anyway.

On a side note: I like the art you provided with the thread, but the subtitle needs to be solid text and not an outlined font. Maybe try a light grey if you don't want it to jump too hard off the cover.

:wink:
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove

bortwein wrote:Interesting idea. I'd love to hear songfight songs remixed to have that Dance/Techno feeling as a collection.

From my stand point you are welcome to both of my crappy songs. Not like you could get much out of them anyway.

On a side note: I like the art you provided with the thread, but the subtitle needs to be solid text and not an outlined font. Maybe try a light grey if you don't want it to jump too hard off the cover.

:wink:
Or you could just do something for me because you rock at artwork... Image
I'm back.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

I'm into this idea for sure. I don't know that any of my stuff is appropriate to the project, but I look forward to hearing what you come up with.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

I would love to hear my I'm With Steve Now remixed. However, I've lost [GASP :roll: ] the source files for the track. Sad I know, but if you want to do it, I'd love to rerecord it.
Anyhow, it's here. *there's also a video bonus on my webpage...but I warn you, it's pretty lame. ;)
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

We have source for almost all of our tracks. Just let me know if you want anything.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove

Spud wrote:We have source for almost all of our tracks. Just let me know if you want anything.
What are your favs that you would most like hear mixed up?
TheHipCola wrote:I would love to hear my I'm With Steve Now remixed. However, I've lost [GASP :roll: ] the source files for the track. Sad I know, but if you want to do it, I'd love to rerecord it.
Anyhow, it's here. *there's also a video bonus on my webpage...but I warn you, it's pretty lame. ;)
This song rocks dude...
I'm back.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

bortwein wrote: On a side note: I like the art you provided with the thread, but the subtitle needs to be solid text and not an outlined font. Maybe try a light grey if you don't want it to jump too hard off the cover.
i was thinking the exact same thing. I also think light grey would be better than the white you have. And personally, I'd go for helvetica for the bottom font (can't never get enough helvetica) -- the design/photography is clean and crisp, and a clean, crisp font would be more appropriate, IMO (but of course keep the song fight font up top).

But really, you've got great design sense for a super-nerd. I'd be impressed if you took the photo yourself (assuming not, of course).

Oh, and meant to say, take whatever you want from my stuff, just let me know and give me credit.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I have sources for most of my tracks, but who would want to remix a Jon Eric song? :lol:

Best of luck, sounds like a fun idea.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
adjuster
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Jeskola Buzz
Recording Method: OH, GOD, THE PAIN!
Submitting as: The Landfills

Post by adjuster »

I have the source tracks for all of the "The Landfills" songs. I'd say "I can't imagine anyone would want to remix a 'The Landfills' song." but somebody already has... (and rather entertainingly, too, if I might add)...
"A person who is born with extraordinary natural talents, or who is extremely lucky, deserves nothing on the basis of these characteristics." - Edwin C. Hettinger
--
The Attitude Adjuster, Arugably the remaining half of "The Landfills"
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

...and that is why Bortwein is the shiznit.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

you rock Bort!
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove

TheHipCola wrote:I would love to hear my I'm With Steve Now remixed. However, I've lost [GASP :roll: ] the source files for the track. Sad I know, but if you want to do it, I'd love to rerecord it.
Hey, this is the direction I was thinking about going with that... Tell me if you like the Funk/Disco feel I was thinking it could run with.

<a href="http://69.244.191.218:82/media/music/so ... _mix_0.mp3" target="_blank">To download "the_hip_cola_iws_mix_0.mp3", just Right-Click THIS link, and then click "Save Target As..." or "Save Link As..."</a>.

EDIT: Link fixed.
Last edited by Southwest_Statistic on Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm back.
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

bortwein wrote:image with blue lines

No blue lines... after thinking about it I like it without.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

Wow, I love the sound of these. I don't usually listen to remix CDs, but this has a lot of potential.

Just to have suggested it - and I realize this could be a really awful challenge - I'd love to hear you distill a fight into 5 minutes or less. Like, pick a fight with 8-10 entries, and use a few samples from each to make a single remix song for that fight.

Some songs don't seem to lend themselves to this (so it could be challenging), and there are probably copyright questions, but regardless you seem to have done extremely well so far. Looking forward to hearing more. (So that would be "hearing forward" then, right?)
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove

bortwein wrote:
bortwein wrote:image with blue lines
new image
Thats so dope...
I'm back.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:
Hey, this is the direction I was thinking about going with that... Tell me if you like the Funk/Disco feel I was thinking it could run with.
holy Fuck man! that is aweSOME. umm, yah? can't wait to parlez with you on how you did some of that. suffice it to say, run with it! Cool man! like Wow. :D 8)
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

yea... i'm pretty amazed by these... i'm really shocked with how dif the remix for brown boxes sounded from the original... really awesome stuff

and that lil' solo in hip colas steve... that was bad ass
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

I really like ambient dance-y stuff like Dimitri from Paris' remix/party CDs and Verve Remixed and whatever. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're proposing but if you are then awesome. Too bad none of my stuff is uh conducive.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard