We've been BoingBoinged

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

We've been BoingBoinged

Post by fluffy »

Of course, they've posted about Song Fight and Remixfight before when I submitted them, but it was lost in the shuffle being posted as part of a bunch of other music-related links. So, today, BoingBoing posted an <a href="http://www.boingboing.net/2005/03/07/so ... ">entirely inaccurate writeup about Song Fight</a> calling it a photoshop contest but with music, which it isn't, but whatever, it's publicity.

(The very next post was about our good friend <a href="http://www.boingboing.net/2005/03/07/mc ... r.html">MC Frontalot</a>, submitted by the same person. Who's this Quinn fellow, anyway?)

Anyway, so, don't be surprised if there's a huge influx of new members or something. Hooray?
HeuristicsInc
Gemini
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Re: We've been BoingBoinged

Post by HeuristicsInc »

fluffy wrote:entirely inaccurate writeup about Song Fight calling it a photoshop contest but with music, which it isn't, but whatever, it's publicity.
Why is that inaccurate? It's pretty similar, except that they get a theme instead of a title. They make pictures, we make words. It's probably a useful comparison to those that hang out at those other sites.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
fluffy wrote:entirely inaccurate writeup about Song Fight calling it a photoshop contest but with music, which it isn't, but whatever, it's publicity.
Why is that inaccurate? It's pretty similar, except that they get a theme instead of a title. They make pictures, we make words. It's probably a useful comparison to those that hang out at those other sites.
-bill
Photoshop Tennis involves sending an evolving image back and forth between two photoshop geeks. Songfight doesn't employ this as a rule, although collaboration is certainly a possibility. The other photoshop contests I know of supply the raw images for artists to compose with...also not equivalent to the SF process.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
bortwein
DeepMind

Post by bortwein »

fluffy wrote:... but whatever, it's publicity.

I think this is the real point of Fluffy's post.
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
erik
DALL-E
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

If they'd've compared us to any other Photoshop contest, I'd be kind of pissed, but there's alot of talented people at worth1000, so that's kind of cool. Worth1000 is kind of closer to SF because they (usually) don't supply the raw images for the contestants, but rather just supply them with an idea, like "Make a mythical creature" or "Change a celebrity's gender", and then the contestants (usually) go out and find their own images to use.
HeuristicsInc
Gemini

Post by HeuristicsInc »

roymond wrote: Photoshop Tennis involves sending an evolving image back and forth between two photoshop geeks. Songfight doesn't employ this as a rule, although collaboration is certainly a possibility. The other photoshop contests I know of supply the raw images for artists to compose with...also not equivalent to the SF process.
Nah, it's not like those. http://www.worth1000.com, mentioned in the bb post, gives people a challenge like this:
Propaganda images are generally used during wartime to turn public sentiment against one's enemy, or to paint one's own side in a better light. In this contest, we have another use for them- make us laugh. Your task is to use any typical propaganda type image as the basis for a humourous (and well done) photoshop, as in godzillatemple's themepost.

The rules of the game are thus: Photoshop a propaganda type image in a humourous way. Remember that nudity, profanity, and extreme vulgarity will be disqualified. As always, quality is a must. We will remove poor entries no matter how much we like you. You will have 48 hours for this contest so make your submissions count.
(taken from a current contest)
As far as I can see, this is a lot like SongFight.
Worth1000 is pretty amusing, really.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
roymond
Gemini
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

fluffy wrote:... but whatever
I think this is the recommended response to my posts in general.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
LMNOP
Alpaca

Post by LMNOP »

Forget about BoingBoing. The clue for 46 Down in the USA Today crossword puzzle today is "type of top." It's four letters and ends in K. Tell me that isn't going to point the masses this way!
Eric Y.
Grok

Post by Eric Y. »

"peak"?

i don't get it
LMNOP
Alpaca

Post by LMNOP »

Eh, lame attempt at humor. You'd get it if you'd just turned in your "Tank Top" entry...
roymond
Gemini

Post by roymond »

tviyh wrote:"peak"?

i don't get it
uh...then your score will tank.
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Song Fight is not like a Photoshop contest because in a Photoshop contest it's about finding existing images and mixing them together into a new image, while Song Fight stuff is all-original (or at least, is supposed to be). Also, Song Fight has no set theme, whereas Photoshop contests typically do.

That isn't to say that Photoshop contests can't be quite good, of course; I'm just saying that the only similarity is that someone from On High gives the contestants a couple of words beforehand.
c hack
Claude

Post by c hack »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
... As always, quality is a must. We will remove poor entries no matter how much we like you.
I'm not convinced this would be a bad position for SF to adopt. At least, it'd avoid the embarrassing situation where I tell a friend "I post on Songfight" and he goes and clicks on an LEF "song."

Oh, who am I kidding? I don't have any friends. :P
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
HeuristicsInc
Gemini

Post by HeuristicsInc »

fluffy wrote:Song Fight is not like a Photoshop contest because in a Photoshop contest it's about finding existing images and mixing them together into a new image
Ok, so Worth1000 is more like RemixFight than SongFight. That's fair.
Theme vs. title is fairly minor, I think :)
the only similarity is that someone from On High gives the contestants a couple of words beforehand.
That and the time-limit, and I believe they vote on their favorites too. Although I think it's by ratings vs. voting for one.
But, yeah, publicity!
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Jim of Seattle
Grok
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

c hack wrote:
HeuristicsInc wrote:
... As always, quality is a must. We will remove poor entries no matter how much we like you.
I'm not convinced this would be a bad position for SF to adopt. At least, it'd avoid the embarrassing situation where I tell a friend "I post on Songfight" and he goes and clicks on an LEF "song."

Oh, who am I kidding? I don't have any friends. :P
Yeah, when in a subversive mood I've thought about starting my own Underground Songfight site which is exactly like the real thing, but with the crappy songs (in my opinion, of course) removed.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
bortwein
DeepMind

Post by bortwein »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
Yeah, when in a subversive mood I've thought about starting my own Underground Songfight site which is exactly like the real thing, but with the crappy songs (in my opinion, of course) removed.
SongRefight!
SongNoCrapFight
NoCrapSongFight
SongFight-Lite
FilteredFight
Diet SongFight
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
Leaf
DALL-E
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

If you're only getting the "good" stuff, wouldn't it be more like:

Decadentsongfight

Songfightdessert

Nowrongsongfight

songfight.... extra fattening?
erik
DALL-E
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

bortwein wrote:SongRefight!
SongNoCrapFight
NoCrapSongFight
SongFight-Lite
FilteredFight
Diet SongFight
Sharing Machine
jb
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

You people want to be a little more safe than I do.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
jack
Stable Diffusion
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

for Jim, it would have to be called Song Poll.
Hi!
tonetripper
Mixtral
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

...... or SongPole?.... :)
Niveous
Gemini
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

15-16 puzzle wrote: Sharing Machine
Ouch.