Better than living next to a golf course (DLiaQP Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

In the order I heard the first

X Tokyo River God
Thank the lord I wasn’t stoned otherwise I’d be off to see a shrink. An Interesting experiment. Give Eno a call, he’s be up for a jam.

Unstoppable Mr Mint.

Either major problems with transfer to mp3 or try putting the mic in the same building when you record.

Special Relatives
Gah. Listen to X Tokyo River God and then see shrink. Weird… Like Endives. You either love them or hate them. They ‘disagree’ with me.

R Durrand
The first ‘proper’ song. Yay! I can’t put my finger on who you remind me of, but I like him. Good voice, good song. You too.

Poor June
You are an acquired taste. There are parts of this I like a lot, and the parts I like less are growing on me each time I listen. Your sound is getting better and better, and is definitely you. Don’t loose this. Reminds me of Damien Rice.
I hope this year you’ll be Rich June.

Max the Cat
Your music always seem to cheer me up on dull days, so that’s gotta be good.
Splish Splash.

Kamakura (me)
An experiment that didn’t get where it should have. C’est la vie.

Farmenther Roundtable
Nothing wrong with this. It seems just a tad lifeless and a wee bit meh.. I want to get up and dance to music like this and it didn’t grant me the energy. Real drums would have helped. I like the grungy guitar.

Draft
Oh yes! Shades of Steely Dan creep in. Generally I loath jazzy stuff, but this is ok, with sublime production. I doff my hat to you.

Cri du Chat
The Cats Meow indeed. I like this. It has an 80’s feel to it, which in my book is no bad thing. I almost wasn’t sold, then the change to the chorus closed me. The vocal gets better after the first verse. I don’t like the use of the keyboard choir at the end and on its own. It doesn’t feel right, though it works elsewhere. The mix is good but needs more dynamic space (obviously imho)

C Layne
I consider I’m lucky to have heard a demo for what will hopefully become a classic C Layne track. I say demo because it’s screaming out for a real drummer, and the grungy guitar is just too insistent. It has the flavour of Floyd. I love Floyd.

Charcoal
Interesting sonic landscape. If I may I’d like to cut video to this at some point in the dim future.

The Be Wells
In the ancient tradition of Bardic Court entertainment with jesters and jugglers cavorting in the background this sits well. You’ve done what you’ve set out to do; tell a good story, and ‘tis goodly glad I am for it.

Best production goes to Draft
Thumbs up to R Durrand
Max the Cat gets a HUGE grin
C Layne gets another album sale
Cri du Chat is just a whisker away from
my one weency vote, which I lob at Poor June.
Last edited by Kamakura on Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

Hey, nearly got one, then. Maybe we'll break our benchmark of "two" this time (last time I am rather sure the other was my mother). Sparkette already snuck on during the night and made me vote for myself, so I can't pretend I voted with my heart this week.
The Unstoppable Mr. Mint
A New Player

Post by The Unstoppable Mr. Mint »

In this fight I voted for The BeWells, excellent song there you guys.

-SJ of The Unstoppable Mr Mint

EDIT - I too voted for The BeWells....as SJ said, excellent song.

- TM of The Unstoppable Mr. Mint
Last edited by The Unstoppable Mr. Mint on Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Anything too stupid to be said is sung." -Voltaire
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Favorites in blue

A number of songs I have nothing to say about here. Not that I hate that so much or anything, just don't think my review will be helpful because I can't think of anything to say. Songs that suffer this fate for me in this fight are:
Sparks
Farmenther Roundtable
Poor June

c layne
I like the songwriting. A lot of people try to write songs like this on SF, but you have a sense of melody all the way through. Me HATE fuzz guitar big heap. And it's so prominent I can't get past that ever. Arrgghh! But it's good work. The fuzz guitar thing is my own taste is all. On subsequent listenings I got more used to the fuzz guitar, but I still hate it. The song sounds a lot like Built to Spill. Very excellent, but I can't get past the fuzz guitar.

BeWells
Pretty standard fare musically. Nice enough, but kind of relies too much on folk music cliché. Also, the purply lyrics smack of pretentiousness. Perfectly competent otherwise.

Charcoal
Starts out promising for the first 40 seconds. The low energy no-art vocals don't do anything for me at all. I can't get past that. Also lacks an interesting structure or anything for me to grab onto. Really don't like this one.

<font color=blue>Special Relatives
Ooh, it's Renaldo and the Loaf. This is certainly fun to listen to. I think the choice to sing weird but leave the vocals pretty normal might not have been right. Perhaps better to heavily process them the way you do with the vocals at the end. Good job. This is harder to do well than it sounds.</font>

Ross Durand
I like this, and I like that you've got an idea for your song. I'm hearing too many cliches in the lyrics "Firm handshake", "on the take", "take us all for fools". Also, the songs is so amiable musically, that it undermines your more angry subject matter. I'm reminded of a song like "Back Stabbers", when the music supports the lyrics much better.

Kamakura
Trying to go with the repetitive verse structure, but it's a stretch. I like the vaguely dissonant piano bits, but it's the same every time, which disappoints me a little. Good for about a minute, doesn't hold my attention for the whole song.

<font color=blue>Max the Cat
I love the syncopated waltz. Your inventiveness with the rhythms carry the day. I'm sure I'll like the lyrics, but I didn't really listen to them, because musically I was too interested. Yummy.</font>

Unstoppable Mr. Mint
I wanted to test the theory whether you were actually unstoppable or not. I tried the Stop button on my player, and indeed you are stoppale. Thank God. Don't like it. OK, that was me just being cute. A more helpful review would be that it feels pretentiously art-rock, and doesn't have the musical interest to back it up. Feels very long and plodding.

X-Tokyo River God
It's quite boring. Got through 90 seconds.

Draft
Nice job, but your composition isn't quite cool enough to justify the cool arrangement style. I don't believe that the musicians are as into the song as they are trying to be, because it never quite whips up enough excitement.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Favorites in blue

A number of songs I have nothing to say about here. Not that I hate that so much or anything, just don't think my review will be helpful because I can't think of anything to say. Songs that suffer this fate for me in this fight are:
Poor June
it's cool... i understand what ya mean... just wanted to ask..
if it was just really bad?... in your opinion...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
phatcactus
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by phatcactus »

Aw, the Special Relatives reviews aren't all that bad! Thanks yous!

And since I learned that it's quite rude to vote for yourself (who'd'a thunk?) I voted for x-tokyo-river-god, if only because I'm afraid of what will happen if I don't. :twisted: I really dig the way they stretched the speech synth ("po-o-o-o-onds"). The whole song just felt kinda ... spacious, I think. Like a King Tubby tune. But way creepier.
Mac
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Mac »

I'm gonna try doing this whole review thing. Bear in mind I make no music myself, so my reviews hold no impact.

X-Tokyo-River-God: Ok, this shit seriously freaked me out.. it's 2 a clock in the middle of the damned night here and I've been watching alot of japanese scary movies lately. Brave new concept, but I'm changing before my head gets eaten by some girl with black hair over her face. heh. it ended just as I changed to winamp to change the song. sheesh.. cold sweat..

Unstoppable Mr Mint: wow, low volume... cranking it up only to hear you singing through a pipe.. instruments almost non-existant. Not going places.

Special Relatives: it's noise passed off as instruments? I guess you could say the voice fits with the instruments though?

Ross Durand: Not bad. I like these sort of songs, but you're trying to do a bit more with your vocals than you're capable of. I think you probably will be able to if you keep doing that thing though..

Poor June: I like the parts where you only speak melodiously with one guitar playing.. but where it overlaps everything it just becomes a mudpie of unrelated sound. Still, I really like the sound of this one and it could've been a contender if it hadn't been for all the ... noise.

Max the Cat: I'm a big MtC fan, so when I see him in a fight I always expect something good from that fight (just like I used to do with J Woodward when he wasn't too good for this place.. damn him!) Anyway.. Just like all MtC the vocals are great. It doesn't really stand out from the rest of Max's stuff though... Had this just been any other guy, it'd probably be a given winner, but I raise the bar for the artists I already like, since I expect otherwise I'd rate them favourably for past songs. still, it's a contender for sure.

Kamakura: Doesn't really do anything for me. Just feels dull... not like horrible in any way, but dull. sorry.

Farmenther: I like the way this starts. Like the lyrics. Like the short guitar solo. generally just like it. Vocals could've added a bit more force to liven it up, but still. it's a contender

Draft: I was never a big fan of Jazz or even instruments fueled by the lungs(except for bagpipes, but who doesn't love bagpipes?) But this is really amazing. and the trumpet or whatever is so smooth and just compliments the rest of the band without intruding on the rest in a fantastic way. Mad professional. Contender no doubt about that.
Edit: Winner

Cri Du Chat: Not bad, but not good either. I can't get into it at all. I can't find a climax, or any part that really got me.

Charcoal: Not my kind of music at all. It has that "can't sing too loud or mom'll be mad" feel. and then at 2:06 it goes into messed up vocals that sound like they might've been screamed.. just really really low.

C. layneGuitar is good, and I think vocals would be too if they hadn't been sung at that gothic "I'm really not interested in this, and I'm a bit tired. I'd rather go take a nap" style. It might be that I'm hearing it like that because of the auditorium effect that really ruins it in my opinion though.. I like an accentuated vocal. at about 1:40 and one more place towards the ending there's a chorus or some such equivalence where the vocals are raised a bit. It really livens up the song, but should be pushed even higher and alot louder, to bring more power into the vocals.

The BeWells: Speak up, we can't hear you down in the back! Other than that, it's fantastic! I love your voice. it's beautiful and makes me feel at peace. It's almost Simon and Garfunkel class. A definate contender. guitar is also lovely and gentle. the song overall is very well written. edit: oh and the pee-ah-no aswell! Almost forgot about that. it fills the gap in singing very nicely.

In the end after listening to my contenders again it came down to choosing between The BeWells and Draft. Since I was still amazed with how Draft made me like something I normally isn't very happy with at all, while The BeWells were doing something more along the lines of what I'd usually listen to, I had to give the vote to Draft. Fantastic stuff.

This fight loaded up my iPod with a few songs though, and I'll definatelly be looking out for more stuff by the BeWells.

edit: the X-Tokyo song just came back on (since I'm still letting the streaming roll) and I started clicking buttons to make it go away.. but it wouldn't.. took me like 20 seconds of clicking the forward and backwards buttons in winamp to make it go away.. freaked me out!. Most certainly the most scary song I have ever heard. I've gotta hand it to you. You've bottled up the feeling of a scary movie VERY well in that track.
I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

[ http://www.twisted-irony.com ]
gimpel
A New Player

Post by gimpel »

Chad and I They've never been in SF.
I know a Chad who is a drummer, you guys in Tennessee? Happen to know anyone named Sweaty Mex?
I'm not sure how common drumming CHAD's are.

-gimpel
gimpel
A New Player

Post by gimpel »

In this fight I voted for The BeWells, excellent song there you guys.
hahaha.... you probably won't know why I found that funny.

This songfight was GREAT. Been listening for a couple of months now... usually there are 1 or 2 songs that stand out to me, and the rest irritate me somehow or make me want to change the dial.

This week, I think every song interested me. I enjoy the folk/country sound and the jazz sound the best, so my top two are:

the Bewells
Draft

I like these styles and want to hear more of it.

I enjoy hearing a good tone, and not having my ears assaulted. I can tell when the song is good when it ends and I think "I wanted to hear more, MORE.. maybe something like DRUMS!.. a nice bass line.. something."

but remember some of my favorite songs are the Irish ballads that are very simple and pure, but quality.

sorry I didn't offer any more substantial comments... I'm tired.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Poor June wrote:

Poor June
Not at all. You haven't been really bad in a long time. Just couldn't think of anything to say that would be helpful/entertaining.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Draft
this may be in my opinion one of the finest tunes i've heard on songfight. and i've heard plenty. the execution and production is nearly flawless. the playing is solid and top notch. and tonetripper, your singing is outstanding. it fits the uh....tone.... really well. really, really outstanding piece of work. your singing reminds me a bit of chris whitley (although your redcar stuff always reminds me of the other chris...cornell). this tune really shows your versatility in my opinion. killer production. easily gets my vote.
Hi!
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

Poor June wrote:

Poor June
I actually took it as an opportunity to step back and recooperate from the other reviews.

I need to remember to title my songs according to my band name, not my normal name. It only now occurs to me why everyone calls me 'sparks' in the reviews. :)
bwell
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, piano, bass, mandolin
Submitting as: The BeWells

Post by bwell »

First off, thanks everyone for the comments and critiques thus far. It's nice to be back in with another song after missing a few weeks. I will do some reviews after giving everything another closer listen. I have particularly been enjoying the C. Layne, Draft, and Max the Cat tunes.
MintyHandy wrote:/// Is that a mandolin or dulcimer or what? I like it, whatever it is
This title put me in celtic/folk sort of mood. While sorting through ideas for the story I pulled out an Irish bouzouki and settled on a little chord progression. I used the bouzouki (GDAD tuning) throughout the song and the part is doubled for most of the song on a guitar tuned down (CFCGCC capo at 2nd fret) to match. There is also some light mandolin that starts with the instrumental interlude and continues through to the end of the song. There were a few more things I wanted to do to fill out and build the sound in places (possibly some percussion), but ran short on recording time.

After reading the "Recording Acoustic Guitar" thread I also decided to try micing the acoustic instruments with two mics this time around . I had previously used two takes panned a bit apart, but the stereo micing definitely adds a nice fullness to the sound. I will have to keep experimenting with that approach.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

reviews

Post by nyjm »

This subject sparked some imagination! Wow, a hell of a lot submissions.

The BeWells
- purty; love the guitar part
- a little bit of "barbry ellen" here; i'm digging it
- nice little piano tinkle there in the middle
- needs to be a bit more dynamic, perhaps? it's pretty, but a little monotonous.

Charcoal
- hello, coil.
- an interesting audio experiment. but like many, even coil's brilliant soundscapes, not a really gripping song.

c. layne
- this has a cool, loping gait, but...
- whoa, 6:41? too long. trim it down and tighten it up.
- up the vocals in the mix; i'd like to hear you more

Cri Du Chat
- your voice and lyrics have a nick cave vibe
- but the chorus evokes depeche mode; interesting mix that works
- be more sinister with the verse lyrics, i think

Draft
- oh yeah! somebody can jam! i can smell the smoky air in the club right off the bat.
- the sax part is definitely a jewel
- there's something about the vocal mix; your voice seems a little flat, though i like the gravely quality

Farmenther Roundtable
- nice guitar riff
- the lyrics lack a certain rhythm
- nice, but nothing striking

Kamakura
- nick-cavesque vocals return!
- watch those low notes, they slide out of tune
- the piano builds some nice tension, but it never really goes anywhere

Max the Cat
- great vocal groove and married wonderfully with the guitar vamp
- the end of the chorus almost spins out of control
- i like the irony and sarcasm in the lyrics

Poor June
- channeling some creed?
- the quiet verse asks for a real rock-out chorus
- tighten it up a bit

Ross Durand
- singing: pay attention to the end of the phrase; it slides out of tune
- i like the lyrics, whose bitterness is offset by the lighter music and the metaphor really works

The Special Relatives
- i have patience with disonance, but it has to serve a purpose
- less interesting than charcoal's non-song

The Unstoppable Mr. Mint
- recorded live? the vocal is WAY far away. or is that by design?
- tighten up the vocal work and flesh it out; stop singing so high and through your nose
- the whole song needs more meat

x-tokyo-river-god
- ooh. the vocals give me goose-pimples.
- creepy, but is this going anywhere? yup, right about 1:45, it gets creepier.
- the trouble is, of course, where to go from there?

Draft takes it with some great jazz and a grovely voice, with heavy contention from The BeWells for a beautiful ballad and Max the Cat for a solid tune that marries all the elements so well. x-tokyo-river-god gets a special mention for invading my nightmares for the next week.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Jim of Seattle wrote:You haven't been really bad in a long time.
Now there's a quote for Poor June's sig line :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

jack shite wrote:Draft
this may be in my opinion one of the finest tunes i've heard on songfight. and i've heard plenty. the execution and production is nearly flawless. the playing is solid and top notch. and tonetripper, your singing is outstanding. it fits the uh....tone.... really well. really, really outstanding piece of work. your singing reminds me a bit of chris whitley (although your redcar stuff always reminds me of the other chris...cornell). this tune really shows your versatility in my opinion. killer production. easily gets my vote.
.....uh..... thanks jack!! We of Draft are flattered. :wink: As always with SF I'm always trying to test the boundaries of my room, recording set-up, and songwriting. My greatest accomplishment on all this is the drum and sax sounds. It was my feeling that I really captured the air of them in my very live space (something I'm trying to treat). For me the idea of it was more about the production than anything else, so thanks for the kind words and thanks for the vote. I almost submitted it as an instrumental as I wasn't overly enthused about my vocal part in comparison to the killer other parts, but all the grief I gave Jim about his last Ants submission would have given him plenty of ammo to fire back at me so I bended back to manifesting the song a la vocals. Chris Whitley huh? Hmmmm ya I think I can hear that. It was fun and I'll probably pool these talents again at some point soon. Cheers!
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

tonetripper wrote:...trying to test the boundaries of my room, recording set-up, and songwriting...the drum and sax sounds...I'll probably pool these talents again
I'm way into this. The brush kit sounds so sweet, the sax is tight but i also really love the overdriven wurlitzerish sound also, and your voice always sounds great.
Definitely psyched to hear the next Draft tune! And I can't tell express how psyched I am about your songfight methods and goals. Gets me pumped for the next Tonetripper, Redcar, and Draft recording. Like knowing there'll be presents to unwrap each week :)
Thanks for this swee tune. You rock!

I'm hearing some great stuff overall in this fight, so I'd like to post a review if that's ok. So far I'm stuck on Draft and C.Layne...great stuff.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

I'm takin' a break from working on next weeks tune. Felt like writing. I like this title...almost wrote one for it but what i came up with didn't fit the rhythm of the title. anyway, devils! nyargh! ROK

Bewells
Wow you've achieved the exact same guitar tone as on a Ben Harper record! I forget which one, but i think it goes "ready to put on my long white robe". Keeps reminding me of that. That little slide up at about :43 almost takes a wonderful turn. You've travelled beyond the boundaries of my limited vocabulary: what does
"Whispering his name her visage vanished apace" mean?
Overall: good take on and olde time tale of woe.
- - - never built on it's best qualities, instrumentation didn't offer any changes in dynamics
+ + + a couple hooky parts, like that little guitar slide up. very accurate as a representation of olde time tale of a widow's sorrow or something of that nature.

Charcoal
Great intro, it really sounds like devils in a quiet pond. but it's a bit long. I dig the part that hits at 2:00, the chord progression is potentially monsterous there. Some long sustained vocals with harmonies would've been killer during the quieter verses. I was hoping for another chorus...
Overall: enjoyed it, but tend to skip right to the chorus and repeat that.
- - - vocals didn't carry much melody, no bass? and the chorus only hit us once.
+ + + the chords in the chorus were about to get inspiring and were capable of mass destruction, that and the devilish verse sound effects, i liked

C. Layne
Nice heavy slow groove, the guitar has a catch in it that I really dig. The rhythms are great. The line "this may be the last time" at 2:20 or so, is great. That starts to hook me in. Following it up with "this may be the first..." is also moving me. I'd say it drags a bit on the instrumental / rhythm side of things. At 4:20 you hit that guitar hook that I really like again. How coincidental...the outro reminds me of something I'd hear a Perfect Circle doing. I like it, I like them, i like this slow insatiable, pulling melody.
Overall: loved it the first couple times I heard it, still like it
- - - think it's a little slow and drags a bit, could vary more.
+ + + theres a killer guitar hook, and the vocals are eerie and mysterious.

Sparks
I think someone mentioned lots of reverb on here, I hear that, and am not a big fan of hall reverbs. But it kinda fits on some of the vocals, but not the drums. I also think you could've left the snare drum out until 1:02. There's a chorus there that starts to grab my attention. Wanna hear that guitar ripping it up a lot more during the chorus there.
Overall: some potential guitar rock, feeling of doom is definitely there.
- - - vocal in the verse is not grabbing me and the drum monotony and reverb is tough to handle
+ + + the contrast of the bright chorus compared to the dark dark verse, potential hooks in the chorus

Draft
Very nice. Stellar production, nice treble brilliance on a well sung vocal. I'm a fan of jazz. The brush kit sounds great. The sax is wailing! Everything sounds great here. I picture myself in a smokey bar. I like the chorus change, especially the first two chords of it. How about more sustain on the guitar during the solo, a slight clip to warm it up? I get so entranced by the instruments I wasn't hearing the vocal for a bit. That's just my selective attention having trouble...
Overall: great performance and creative arrangement. Professional, enjoyable, my nit-picking is just because I've heard a lot of jazz.
- - - could do without the key change at 1:32. would've liked to hear this jazz combine with something odd, to differentiate it more from other jazz tunes with walking bass lines, etc. Would prefer it to be a little darker sounding.
+ + + yes, everything else about this song was very positive. A pleasure to listen to. Ear candy.

Farmenther Roundtable
This is kinda reminding me of a Neil Young song. Everything from the electric guitar tone to the straight rock backline. I like the imagery you create with the vocals. Could use more singing, but the parts you sorta "talk" remind me of Tom Petty which I like in a way. Have to admit, I'm not really into the straight verse chorus verse chorus, etc. with the fade out.
- - -basic and repetitive, no real hooks to hang onto
+ + + all around decent production, classic rock feel, not so bad

Kamakura
Great chords on the piano, very indicative of devilish something-or-others. I could hear this with a extended low cut on the vocal during the verse and have the vocal break out into full frequency range for the chorus. A few notes might be a bit too low for your range? Some of the chord changes are great, like the ones half way thru the verse, the beginnings of the verses are a little long. It could break into something bigger after those sweet chord changes i was mentioning
- - - wanted it to expand melodically, more. lead vocal melody could've been a bit different
+ + + great chord changes halfway thru the verse. potential to break out into bigger song

Max the Cat
Having trouble catching onto that minor chord there in the beginning, but then you're into something really interesting on the guitar. That minor could be the devil of it! I don't hear much other darkness in this (would expect more darkness in a quiet pond such as one where devils live).
- - - lack of darkness, want more of that sweet chorus part like at 2:07 where it kicks me in the soul!
+ + + you're jamming. that part...the final line "devils..." is kinda bad but funny in the same way

Poor June
There's a bit of some weird effect on the vocals there that's great. not that chilling but there's something devilish in what seems harmless. I would prefer a steady chant verses a rap here. I would want to hear a whispery three part harmony that falls downward during the verses...female vocs if i could get em. I think there's too much delay on the chorus. save all that for the vocal to really creep it out. Good potential for a band to play this.
- - - could use another section to tie the verse and the chorus parts, more vocals, more strange effects on the verses.
+ + + dark verses are trying to be huge, they have potential. strong chorus contrasting the verse.

Ross Durand
Good start, vocal a bit shaky but holdin' it's own. Good to change the chords in the beginning when you did and sticking with it to move on to a new part. nice! the whole band to kicked in. I like the harmonies towards the end, more of that would make the song move more. Would've dug a bluegrassy ending, when the band stops and you say the title, that's great right there. one thing I'm not crazy about is that the lead guitar's playing a minor during the solo when the rhythm's on a major. it's a classic thing I hear all the time because of the blues, but I have trouble with it.
- - - vocal a little shaky in spots, more chord changes, more bluegrass / heavy rock and less blues.
+ + + band kicks in good, dynamics move, it's hooky. I live in a blender i like that this almost blends bluegrass and heavy rock. wanna hear more of that contrast.

Special Relatives
Whew been sluggin beers and now i realize that i have a buzz. Is this technically 12-tone? it almost has a catch to it. if i was tripping i would hear it better. I like that about it. Wait. I hear that catch i mean i'm not a fan of this but maybe it's just the beers but i'm mesmerized by this. what have you done?! This is great all of the sudden. I don't know how or why but I really like this its wacky as all hell should be and chaotic~~! I swear youve put backwards vocals in that have possessed me. Jesus!!!!!! in all sincerity this is out of it's mind~!!!!! There really is some serious tonal melody behind the chaos.
- - - lacking my favorite forms of instrumentation. atonal, avant garde.
+ + + vocal melody at 1:13! your ability to make something completely atonal and avant garde have melody and a catch and drill it's way into my brain deep to the core of my nerve reflexes, turning what should be a terrible pinch, into a glorious tickle

Unstoppable Mr. Mint
80s guitar work is a little rough unless it's got it's own twist of some kind, ok you brought in two electrics doubled (always an essential factor in doing heavy electric guitars, i think). I wanna hear some YEAH! and Uh! and a bunch of sharp consonants like ones i think it would be swears but it's not, its just a bunch of harsh tones. obviously it needs some mastering to normalize the volume.
- - - not enough vocals. vocals not heavy enough, scream those lines around 2:28 and then it'll be like ac/dc and be slammin. Needs a good chorus part or something to follow those stops
+ + + attempts to rock like angus young with neil young on the vocals. could jam with a full band and a good chorus added to it.

Xtokyorivergod
what the motha? oh you do, do you? he he. you can't imagine my imagination. best use of backwards instruments for this songfight. wait slow down on the words i am having a hard time. just a hard time. harvesting my sickness.
- - - strange alien song lacking melody and making disturbing feeling. just a beat and some talking. no melody anywhere
+ + + when i listen carefully and let myself be absorbed in it, it disturbs me down the to very nub of my soul. very much a devil.

ever since it hit fourtwenty in c. layne's song i've found a shiteload of typos!
I cannot believe it but my vote might go to Special Relatives. i don't know how or why and i like a few other songs on here better, like Draft and C. Layne, but Special Guests is a higher order of creativity that somehow works, pulls me in, and I don't know how. I have to listen more. Glad there was darkness here, a bit of heaviness, some variance, jazz, some virtuosos, and some weirdness.
Last edited by boltoph on Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bwell
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, piano, bass, mandolin
Submitting as: The BeWells

Post by bwell »

boltoph wrote:what does "Whispering his name her visage vanished apace" mean?
It basically means "...her face quickly disappeared". I threw in a few archaic words here and there in an attempt to give it an older feel.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

bwell wrote:"...her face quickly disappeared"..
they were pulled down, you tell a great story there, and that makes the song have so much more power. looks like mission seriously accomplished to me. it's chilling. thanks
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

boltoph wrote:I cannot believe it but my vote might go to Special Relatives. i don't know how or why and i like a few other songs on here better, like Draft and C. Layne, but Special Guests is a higher order of creativity that somehow works, pulls me in, and I don't know how. I have to listen more. Glad there was darkness here, a bit of heaviness, some variance, jazz, some virtuosos, and some weirdness.
There is nothing to believe. I haven't reviewed yet because I've been pretty busy as of late and my computer internet connection has gone AWOL, but I have to agree with Boltoph on this one. That Special Relatives version is ..... uh .... well..... special :wink: . Those bending notes and general weirdness of the vocals in comparison really gave me the feeling of the title. Interesting stuff and from what I heard would've seemed tough to do. Good job SR. I've been torn with that song and the BeWells. Yours (SR) reminded me of early Butthole.

And Boltoph, I agree with you on the darkness or going in a different area to make it less generic in it's jazziness. It was all so last minute to begin with and we never anticipated the final results, so I appreciate yours and Jim's attention to detail. The next Draft proposes to be darker and stranger rhythmically. Cheers!
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

--- Could be any song for any contest
/// The devil might be in the details, but I can't find him
Actually we had the title in mind when we wrote the music for it.
Didn't mean to suggest you pre-wrote this or anything; I just didn't feel the connection to the title in the lyrics or style, and (obviously) poorly communicated it. Sorry!