Better than living next to a golf course (DLiaQP Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

I've been saying that for ages. Mostly just the slut bit, though.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

blue wrote:BECAUSE YOU ARE A LAZY SLUT.
Dude, that's why I don't like doing your mom.

[/burn]
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

erik don't talk about my mom on good friday. you'll go to hell.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

I will let this thread die, and then three days later bring it back to life.
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne
Pronouns: he/him

Post by c.layne »

blue's baiting himself, apparently
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

blue wrote:
15-16 puzzle wrote: I remember why I don't like doing reviews now.
BECAUSE YOU ARE A LAZY SLUT.
He's back, he's back, to kick you up the crack - it's Bloooooooooooooooo
:)

j$
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

I'm setting myself up to have to do reviews, which is a bitch because I have to download them all on a modem, but I've got to say something about this discussion on Draft's song. I've been the victim of genre bias the two times I've actually participated in a fight here so I'm throwing that argument out the window. I believe in Draft's song, he will be the victim of not only genre bias, but more importantly, talent envy. Most everone commenting on the song spoke of the top notch playing going on, the "pro" influence. No one here should be bitching about a musician's ability to play their instrument. We should be admiring it, nothing more, nothing less.

Am I misunderstanding some rule here? Is there something in the FAQ I missed. Dammit, if I could get them to do it I would have the best musicians on the planet recording my songs with me. And I would do it in the best studio known to mankind with the best producer available running the deal. What is the issue with that? Shouldn't that be what we're all striving for? If you want to play with garage bands and record on cassette 4 tracks and that's all you strive for, more power to you. If you strive for something more, and record it, and submit it here, I say good for you, me, and everyone else listening.

Now I've got some downloading to do and reviews to write i guess. Ching, ching......my 2 cents submitted.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

There are myriad reasons to dislike a well-produced recording made with seasoned musicians. It doesn't have to be either "genre bias" or "talent envy".
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

i blame the devil's advocado.

also, the jesus thread is awake early.
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

Dammit, if I could get them to do it I would have the best musicians on the planet recording my songs with me. And I would do it in the best studio known to mankind with the best producer available running the deal.
Yes--and if you did that, and I felt the song itself was less than able to live up to your skill (or in the case of your example the skill of those you hired), I'd be all the more disappointed and inclined to pan you. See where I'm going?

I am not ripping on someone for sounding good. The BeWells, I would say, play their song with similar professionalism of production and performance. I did complain of feeling we'd been hit by a "ringer", which may not have been entirely true to what I felt.

If Yanni himself walked onto Song Fight! and produced something immaculate in its precise rendering of a bloodless style, I would still probably tell him to sit on it. Is that because he's a too good with his panpipe? I suspect not. Is that genre hate? Maybe. But I don't hate jazz. There's good jazz out there, even quite a lot of it. I do, however, have a determined hatred for very bad jazz, no matter how well performed.

I knew someone once who was a pretty good artist, the pen and paper sort that is. I always wanted to be a good artist. There was a problem: the only thing she would ever draw were these horse-human anthropomorphisms. She had some yiffy name for them (no, not a centaur--horse-faced). She drew her boyfriend as a creepy horse-person. She drew herself as a creepy horse-person. And they were all drawn with considerable skill--but every single drawing was of some god-awful horse-person.

Would it offend me if someone with no talent sat around on their stupid bum, drawing horse people all day? Probably not. I mean, that's probably not a person I'd get on with that well, sure, but it's not the kind of thing that will actually "offend" me. What does offend me is when someone has formidable potential, and no thought to use that potential to some degree outside the bounds of some god-awful self-imposed boundary.

Personally, I'd rather sit around looking at yiffy horse-people all day than listen to elevator lounge.

Good enough? I knew someone would egg me into continuing my rant. :) This isn't just about Draft, but I thought they'd make a good example of my approach to rating skillfully produced songs I still find to be bad. And no, tonetripper, you're not supposed to care, don't bother asking. Unless of course this length of personal exposition has somehow seeped into your soul, turning you to the side of Good...
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

is this a contest to see who can out-retard whom?
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

yea... not too big a deal... i say we just let it go... haha... we all have or likes and dislikes...
all and all fuck winnin'... atleast there are reviews... i suppose it gives ya somethin' to try to beat... so... don't sweat it... get your production like that... and even your worst songs won't sound too awfully bad... \m/

all and all everyone did pretty well in the fight... so not too much to bitch about... it was worth the listen... can't ask for more then that... and it's a free chance to get (whoever) to hear your stuff if they so choose... so uhm... i don't really see a big minus... great community that'll tell ya all they have... and tell ya what will make your sound better... no big thang... just one fight...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

That's what I like about Poor June's posts. You can randomly rearrange all the clauses, and it still makes sense.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

blue wrote:is this a contest to see who can out-retard whom?
No, that's next door in the Punk Bartender thread. If you hurry, there's probably time left to get involved.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

wow i got 10 votes... my day has been made :'(...

congrats to ya draft...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

So did I win, or what?
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

sparks wrote:
So did I win, or what?
no.. you were .05% too lucid to qualify.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

blue wrote:i blame the devil's advocado.

also, the jesus thread is awake early.
That would be the devil's avocado. Blue. :)