The Half Racks open for Kite on April 15th

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

The Half Racks open for Kite on April 15th

Post by GlennCase »

I don't expect to see any songfighters there, but it can't hurt to tell y'all...

FRIDAY APRIL 15th (tax day)
at "The Blvd." located at 333 W. Spokane Falls Blvd.
Spokane, WA

Show starts at 9PM

Bob Gallagher opens
<a href="http://glenncase.songhole.org">The Half Racks</a>
<a href="http://www.kitegravity.com">Kite</a>

This show should be incredibly fun. I have become good friends with the guys in Kite, and they put on one hell of a show. We are happy to be opening for them.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Are you going to play the Beatles' Taxman?

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

ken, I think I owe you a Coke under the "Coulda Woulda Shoulda Amendment" to the Articles of Jinxitude.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

Ken: I wasn't planning on it, but I think I might be stealing that idea now!

EDIT: This looks like it is becoming a reality. I am going to see if I can nail the exact guitar solo on the song, even.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

SEND GOOD VIBES OUR WAY, PLEASE!

This is going to be an interesting show.

I thought it was bad enough that I was battling a sore throat... With enough gargling of warm salt water, drinking tea and such, my throat is still sore... but capable of singing tonight.

It isn't nearly as bad as the shape that Justin is in.

WARNING - THIS NEXT PARAGRAPH IS FAIRLY GRAPHIC!

YOU WERE WARNED!

Justin had to have surgery on his nose to be able to breathe properly again, and it was a clue that things didn't go as well as they should have when he started vomiting blood for the next couple of days afterwards. He blew his nose at around 1 in the morning a couple of mornings ago, and blood was coming from his eyes. He went to the emergency room, and the doctor's office the next day. Needless to say, he will not be playing the show, and he is quite upset about that. As a testament to his sense of humor, he is taking it in stride and he was talking about how "Man, I wish you could have gotten a picture or something! We could have used that for something! Goth kids would kill to be able to cry blood."

ATTENTION: PEOPLE WITH WEAK STOMACHS
SAFE TO READ AGAIN FOR THIS POINT

At any rate, since Justin will not be able to play this show, and we didn't want to cancel... we have taken studio recordings of Justin's drums, and placed them on to CD. It's not as cool as having the real Justin there, but we intend to have a sign pointing to the CD player that says "Temporary Fill-In Drummer" and a home-made "GET WELL, JUSTIN!" banner. We intend to play this show FOR Justin.

Sending good vibes our way would most definitely be appreciated.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

is justin going to be ok?
Hi!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Christ! Out of his eyes? Get well soon from the other side of the world, Justin. One positive thing - it'll make a great chapter in the biography of the Half Racks!

j$
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Do you need me to fly out there and fill in? Because I would do that for you.

Tell Justin I wish him the best.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Ken, you are a dude.

That's a brillant offer...

Justin!!!! DAMN!!! That sucks. Get well man... you are fortunate to have such a great set of bandmates... good luck tonight fellas.

Have a deadly gig... and try to maintain eye contact with the drummer/cd player... you should put a wig and a pair of sunglasses on it too... maybe a sweat band...

...hhhmmm... Echo and the Half-racks..

(echo and the bunnymen started out as "echo" the drum machine with the band "backing it up"...I always thought that was kinda funny)
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

I am calling Justin right now so that he can answer your questions and thoughts directly.
jack wrote:is justin going to be ok?
Justin says "Yeah, eventually. Probably by next week I'll be tip top"

Glenn says "Thanks for showing your concern, Jack. You're a good guy"
j$ wrote:Christ! Out of his eyes? Get well soon from the other side of the world, Justin. One positive thing - it'll make a great chapter in the biography of the Half Racks!

j$
Justin laughs and says "All goth kids wish they could cry blood on command."

Glenn says "I had the same reaction when I heard about him bleeding from the eyes. I think that would be the point where I would be heading to the emergency room too. When he is not feeling the pain that goes along with it, I am sure that he will have good stories to tell about the time he cried blood. We are hoping the show will go well tonight, as we intend to rock for Justin!"
ken wrote:Do you need me to fly out there and fill in? Because I would do that for you.

Tell Justin I wish him the best.

Ken
Justin laughs and says "If you want to, sure!"

Glenn says "This shows how cool my friends are. I would not expect you to have to put up the money to fly out here, and I can't afford the ticket myself. Despite this, I wish I would have thought of it sooner, because if you had time to learn the songs? You would have been an EXCELLENT fill-in drummer. We are hoping that the CD player will do the trick. I also thank you for sending best wishes his way."

We will be videotaping tonight's performance. I will be sure to at least get audio up when I can.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

Leaf wrote:Ken, you are a dude.

That's a brillant offer...

Justin!!!! DAMN!!! That sucks. Get well man... you are fortunate to have such a great set of bandmates... good luck tonight fellas.

Have a deadly gig... and try to maintain eye contact with the drummer/cd player... you should put a wig and a pair of sunglasses on it too... maybe a sweat band...

...hhhmmm... Echo and the Half-racks..

(echo and the bunnymen started out as "echo" the drum machine with the band "backing it up"...I always thought that was kinda funny)
Sunglasses = Rocking idea. We may have to steal that idea too!

I was really torn on whether to do this gig or not. Part of me wanted to be like "If Justin can't play, we don't play". But this is an important gig for us, and none of us wanted to get the reputation for being "That band that doesn't show up."

Rocking out in his honor seemed the only logical way, and Justin approves.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Justincombustion
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear

Post by Justincombustion »

Actually Glenn, I really do wish you would have gotten a picture. I'd be like the whitey Bushwack Bill (Google Bushwack Bill and eyeball--or don't)!
On the plus side, the bleeding has stopped and when I cough, no longer does it look like cranberry sauce. Plus, working for the government I get all the time off so I'm learning Tekken 5.
If only I could put this spare time to work for Good instead of Ehhh.

So I'm off for a week, anyone got any good recommendation on new DVD videos or games?
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

GlennCase wrote: But this is an important gig for us, and none of us wanted to get the reputation for being "That band that doesn't show up."
Be more concerned on being "That band that doesn't suck."

;)

I think people will understand. Are you playing Take a Pill? I like that song.

Ken

GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

Thankie, Ken!

Yes, Take a Pill is very much on the setlist. As are some other songfight classics.

I will post a set-list, and quite possibly some audio in the VERY near future. Perhaps in this thread :)

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

My personal opinion: WORST SHOW we have played thus far. Our set was cut short (Sorry, Ken. No "Take a pill" this time), and I was actually relieved. My throat was worse off than I thought, I couldn't hit the high notes. It was a freeking disaster from my perspective.

Everyone who talked to me's opinion: They say we rocked, and they were impressed that we tried to pull through and still give a show. Many said they look forward to seeing the whole band. People were dancing during some of the songs. Probably MOST importantly the venue would like to have us back to play more shows, AND I didn't break any strings (Depite having new ones ready). Word has it that one of the local indie magazines will be writing a mostly positive review for us.

My throat is beyond destroyed at this time. I sound like a freeking frog.

I am glad we did this as an experiment, because it confirmed something.

Justin? You are irreplaceable. We are not doing a show without you again.

We were still glad to at least attempt to rock out in your honor. Also: since we are still early-on in our band's career, I am glad that we at least showed up on a Friday night, not earning a reputation as "that band that didn't show up."

I may still post mp3s in the near future, and then y'all can decide for yourselves. I (for one) am exhausted as hell. I need to shower to remove the smoke smell from me... and then I need to sleep.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Hey Glenn,

It sounds like you did well considering.

Remember, it doesn't take much to impress people. I'm sure you did fine. Congrats!

Be well,
Ken