Review Pact

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Review Pact

Post by jeffhenderson »

So here's the idea:
10 artists each submit one song. Everybody who submitted a song agrees to a solemn pact that they will submit at least one review for every other artist.
You give 10 reviews and you get 10 reviews.

Why 10?
I'm flexible on this. I just want to avoid having so many people that reviewing becomes an intimidating process that takes many hours. If more people want to do it, they can just start a second one.

How do we prevent the free-riding problem?
Some people might be tempted to get reviews without giving. If they do this we will put them on the List of Public Shame. Nobody on the List of Public Shame will ever be able to participate in future Review Pacts. As soon as you submit your missing reviews, you are immediately forgiven and removed from the list.

What songs can you submit?
Anything, so long as you have the right to post the song. If you want to submit a song you made this week in your basement that's cool, and it's also okay if you want to submit a song you recorded 20 years ago at a kick-butt concert your sweet 80's metal band put on back in it's peak, before the drummer ruined the band by getting married and becoming a professor of English at the community college.

Who's in charge?
Nobody. I'm gonna start one in a reply to this thread, but feel free to start your own and alter the rules however you want.

The rationale:
My favorite part of SongFight has always been the reviews. You can't show your music to your friends and family because they will always just nod their head and say "That's good", even if what you recorded was the sound of a dying cat trying to escape a room where all the walls are made of chalkboards. The complete lack of politeness that characterizes all internet forums creates the perfect atmosphere for honest feedback. When you know that nobody gives a crap if they hurt your feelings, you can take the feedback seriously and look for ways to improve yourself.
SongFight is great, but sometimes you might just put a lot of work into a song that has nothing to do with this week's title, yet you still want SongFight-style feedback for it. Other times, the official fight has 20 songs, but only three sets of reviews. The Review Pact will allow you to get a predictable amount of reviews for any song you want.
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Re: Review Pact

Post by jeffhenderson »

Review Pact #1

The first 10 people to reply to this message stating their intention to join are in.

PM me a link to your song by Monday at the arbitrary time of 5pm EST.

Once i post the songs, you have exactly one week to write the reviews, or else your name will be added to the List of Public Shame.
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jeffhenderson »

Oh yeah, and I want in on the first Review Pact.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I have some acoustic music I want to record for this, but my hands are shot right now. For now I'm gonna say I'm not in for this one, but I definitely like the idea. I may be in for future ones.
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Answer phone messages
Pronouns: he/him

Post by adamadamant »

I have a song I did recently that I wouldn't mind some ears on. Count me in please.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

if you post the songs to somesongs i promise i will review each one. i won't be submitting a song to participate, however.
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jeffhenderson »

Mmm come to think of it, I'm gonna be a lot more flexible with this date. We will begin as soon as we have ten participants.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

This is something I'd like to do, though probably not at the moment, if this was left for maybe a fortnight, or even made into an ongoing monthly idea, It'd be cool, kinda like 'One Month Frenzies' for completing those uncompleted projects, that we all have, at the end of the year you'd have a fully reviewed 12 track album in the can!!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Its a good idea. Please try to keep it going.

I can't commit to delivering reviews just now though

EDIT:

Nah...count me in - I'll find time - lets do it
spinlock
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by spinlock »

So is this to showcase our best work, and see if it's as good as we think, or to get pointers on unfinished tracks? Cos I have folders full of unfinished songs that I've got stuck on, but only a couple that are finished but I over-value. (Naturally the rest are all without any flaw whatsoever :P )
Anyway, I quite like reviewing, so I'd take part in this.
spinlock
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by spinlock »

If there are 10 people - then we get and write 9 reviews. Unless you're insisting that we review ourselves, and then count that in the total number of reviews we've got.

Why not start with a smaller number, like 6? Each write five, each get five. You could always bump the number as interest grows.

Anyway. You should have my song now.
jeffhenderson
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jeffhenderson »

spinlock wrote:If there are 10 people - then we get and write 9 reviews. Unless you're insisting that we review ourselves, and then count that in the total number of reviews we've got.

Why not start with a smaller number, like 6? Each write five, each get five. You could always bump the number as interest grows.

Anyway. You should have my song now.
Okay good idea, Spinlock.

Anybody who wants to, send me a link to your song and I will post it when I get it.
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Answer phone messages
Pronouns: he/him

Post by adamadamant »

Is this still on? How many people were in in the end?
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

I still would like to be in, but I just need the time to tie up quite a few loose ends as I'd like to submit something altogether fresh!!!
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

funky fresh & flavorlicious!
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.