Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Re: Internet TV

Post by Reist »

roymond wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:What do you mean by satellite? Is that pay TV? With that we are still limited to what is available here in NZ - which is not much.
I don't know how each country controls or regulates satellite TV, but often it offers an insanely broad variety of programming from all over the world. Look up SKYTV in NZ, I don't know who else offers it there.
I might as well post a link in case Ray didn't see your post - Sky Network Television

It looks like that's the main choice in New Zealand. The wikipedia article displays the channels you could get with it. Satellite's not cheap, but you can get a lot of channels. I don't think you can get many channels in widescreen or hd, but you probably wouldn't get that without satellite anyways.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Wikipedia's information about HD in New Zealand

Also from other pages it looks like AU/NZ are using DVB-T just like in Europe (unsurprisingly). I have no idea if you guys are going to lose PAL broadcasts like how NTSC is being shut off in favor of ATSC here. I'm sure that if that's happening, people will have to find even more things to do than watching shows about what's inside a dog's stomach and techniques for getting the most pleasure out of your sheep's anus or whatever.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Reïst wrote:
roymond wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:What do you mean by satellite? Is that pay TV? With that we are still limited to what is available here in NZ - which is not much.
I don't know how each country controls or regulates satellite TV, but often it offers an insanely broad variety of programming from all over the world. Look up SKYTV in NZ, I don't know who else offers it there.
I might as well post a link in case Ray didn't see your post - Sky Network Television
Yes - but that is just the same as the Pay TV we get in Australia - I've seen it in hotels - it is all just full of cheap, nasty crap from the USA and England. I didn't pay for it in Aus and don't think I'll bother here

Oh well - I guess I'll survive. I lived for 2 years in Kiribati where there was no television at all. And no internet either. Only unreliable transmissions of Radio Australia and the BBC World Service on short-wave radio.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Good thing you're not interested in illegal downloads... That stuff can get you into trouble.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Lunkhead wrote:Good thing you're not interested in illegal downloads... That stuff can get you into trouble.
How does that stuff actually work?

Can I only watch it on my computer? Or can they be burned to DVD? Are the files really huge?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Just in case anyone has been worried about me and my television dilemmna - I have found a partial solution. Last week I went out and forked out $200 for a set-top box to get free-to-air digital TV. That got me an extra few stations that were not on normal telly:

C4 - a commercial station that is very cool with lots of music shows and "alternative" comedies.
NZ6 - kids shows till 6pm then weird shit at night
NZ7 - a news station which shows a lot of the news programmes from Aus

there is also another channel that will start when the Olympics start just for Olympics stuff.

I am now happy. That is pretty much all I need.

and box sets of "Northern Exposure" are in the local shop for $20. We have bee re-watching a lot of them, and thinking "Taranaki" whenever Joel says "Alaska".

I still can't get the Rugby games though - because the station that has them is only on Pay TV. So I have to go to the pub to watch the football. That is actually a very good thing - but I tell my wife it is bad. Going to the pub has become my patriotic duty. Its not just going and getting pissed. I'm doing it for the Green and Gold.