Even if we're just... Drinking in the Dark (reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Re: Even if we're just... Drinking in the Dark (reviews)

Post by frankie big face »

starfinger wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:44 pm

frankie big face: i think somebody earlier mentioned the 50's vibe of this.
it's a very striking, insular yet spacey arrangement. like an astronaut
drinking because they miss humanity.
I love that description. There is a strange contrast between the reverb and tremolo on my synth patch and the dry, kind of squeezed, bass. I thought about trying to connect them more but I decided it was interesting and I think you just described why.
starfinger wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:44 pm
add: incidentally and
unrelatedly when I was recording my DITD, I came up with a part that reminded
me of you when i sang it (around the end of the second verse wehre i sing "in
the folds of my bed"). it's probably just me, but i wanted to relay that you
inspired me.
I find myself singing like Jeff all the time. It’s not just you!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

Hoblit wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 2:46 pm
[Frankie Big Face:

This is really good and should win. Where I've forgotten how to record, you've only gotten better. I love this production but it's not just the mix & mastering that assentuate the performance. I like the way your voice sounds in this piece and really like the night-air atmosphere that you've managed to create. It is pretty dramatic and again, you only seem to improve. You are the professional here after all. This song is strong in all aspects, including lyrical content. Everything else has been said and I can only say that this is the strongest entry this week.

Both of us thought to drink in the park, and that too I can appreciate.
I’m not sure where to begin! First of all, thank you! I appreciate your kind words. I am just now getting back to recording after a few years’ absence, but the software keeps getting better and I’m actually learning how to use some of my equipment properly. Also, I’m retired! So I have much more time to work on this stuff.

Your remarks about my voice are particularly noted because I just dug out my Joe Meek VC1 studio channel *hardware* after years of feeling like I wasn’t getting what I wanted from the software. You are validating my choice! This preamp makes a huge difference for me.

Finally, in one of the very few times I found myself exceedingly drunk, it was in a park. So yes, we apparently do have that in common! 😂
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Hoblit wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:14 pm
I've been listening to a lot of Leonard Cohen recently and was trying to fit in "kneeling through the dark" as an homage to So Long Marianne, a song I used to cover. While I wasn't able to get it in there, I imagine some of it rubbed off in there anyway.
definitely did. hey, i'm glad i could pick up on the reference you were trying to make. seems like i did something right heh.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Add: Organ/Electric keys is tasty. There's a bounce to this that I like. It could easily slide into bubblegum but doesn't. The overly fast leslie effect is.. effective. Love the heavy distortion when it hits, too. Maybe just a hair too loud in the mix to be perfect but it's still very good. It's a hair long, maybe, but doesn't feel like the four plus minutes.

Balls To Monte: Digging the bass. The snare snaps a bit too much for my taste. Love the guitars. Love the attitude in the vocal. I think this would be fun to play live. Just enough twang to give the rock and roll a little extra flavor.

Berkeley Social Scene: I like the tiny bit of Bowie flavor in the vocals. Well, the vocal is good and the bit of flavor is the cherry on top. That repeating electric guitar line gets a little old after a while. I think I just want the tone to change up a bit. I want another crunchy guitar on the chorus, a compatible dirty sound, I think. I seem to be nitpicking this one, so sorry. I like it, I do.

Frankie Big Face: I was looking forward to this one after reading the lyric. It's not what I expected but I like it. Sparseness made into art. The bass might be a bit too loud in the mix on those quiet bits (or, more like, just needs a bit tightening up with eq.)

Hoblit: I like the guitar tone and the intro set up the song nicely. In fact, I like the intro bits the best. Good vocals, too. Another sparse song that works very, very well for me. You have to have good performances to pull this off and you do nicely. I did want it to kick in at some point but maybe that's for the next track on the album.

Los Vigilantes Oscuros: Vocoder goodness is tasty. Works beautifully. The spoken word verses are not really my cup of tea but I think they work here, helped by the effective expression in the performance. I have to admit the chorus is catchy in such a great way. The organ in the instrumental section is tasty, too.

LunkMoChump: This sounds great. I like the drum intro. It's well arranged. The vocal performance reminds me of something classic rock-ish but hell if I can remember what. I think it's in the phrasing. Like a combination of 'behind blue eyes' and like the Indo Girls or something. Very effective. This is very well done.

The Mellfire Trifecta: I love that organ in there. Lovely arrangement and performance. I really like this. My only nit is that there are too many good songs in this fight. This definitely ranks in the top tier of Mellfire songs.

Pigfarmer Jr: Several comments on genre bias in the last fight so I leaned into it a little bit. I really like this song but not sure it holds up next to all these other great songs in the fight.

Robyn Mackenzie: Another lyric I liked a lot and was looking forward to hearing. The AAAB rhyme scheme is used to perfection here. There's a 'wash over you' feel to your guitars (probably just the reverb you're using) that I like and seems pretty consistent in your music. The drums feel good, too.

Soft Rick: Another solid song. I think the vocal is a bit too up in the mix for my taste but the song is very solid. Is that backwards recording in there?

Starfinger: Your lyric drew me in, emotive as it is. I think maybe the verse vocal is a bit too up in the mix for me (although I see that I've said that a couple of times so maybe it's just me.) The verse arrangement is very effective for giving that kind of depth you need to relate this lyric.

Sunspire: The vaguely doors-ish intro isn't dispelled at all by the vocal (which probably could be a little stronger in the verses but is effective.) The distortion is a tasty touch but sounds like it made the 2nd verse vocal level a little hot compared to the first. Cool arrangement, cool rhythm. I especially liked the layered vocals in places. Great use of volume in the vocal, too. Very expressive.

add, balls to monte, Frankie, lunkmochump and mellfire all seem to rise to the top with a whole bunch of other good songs right behind.
Last edited by Pigfarmer Jr on Tue May 14, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Aciniform Artifice
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Aciniform Artifice »

frankie big face wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 10:21 am
Thanks! I didn't think that "sleeping in the park" bit was *too* over the top. Just the right amount of over the top. 8-)
It wasn't, taken on its own -- just unfortunate that a similar rhyming pattern seemed to develop among several of your co-competitors.
frankie big face wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 10:21 am
Oh! And my song is mostly I, IV, and V (okay, yes there is a vi), but I did use an augmented V occasionally.
Hoblit wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:14 pm
I'm not the music nerd that Frankie is but lemme' tell YOU somethin'. My whole song is I IV V.
The challenge was "mostly I-IV-V but not boring," so congrats to both of you for twisting your chord structures in an interesting-enough way to sound different and... well... not boring.
robynmackenzie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Robyn Mackenzie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by robynmackenzie »

Add: This evolves nicely. At first I felt like it was a bit too dive bar and dissonant for my tastes, but I really like those tremolo vocals and the guitar break and the sampled dialogue near the end. It definitely grew on me as I listened.

Balls To Monte: Cool harmonies. Kind of retro-y. I like the chord changes, some of them quite unexpected. And nice guitar playing!

Berkeley Social Scene: I like this a lot. The vocals are a bit Clash-y which I love. The vocal doesn’t always sit the way my ears like throughout the song, but I’m not sure what the fix is. I like the subtle punkiness of this.

Frankie Big Face: Bowieish. I like the blippy, bubbly sounds and the way this builds. Has a cool theatrical vibe.

Hoblit: Interesting meandering approach. I can picture this in a smoky bar, one single spotlight on the stage. Harmonies are really nice.

Los Vigilantes Oscuros: Neat sparkly synths at the beginning. I was not expecting it to go where it does. Those vocoder vocals are just yummy, one of my favorite things in music.

LunkMoChump: This is sweet. Those backing vocals are killer. This really held my attention all the way through with some nice ear candy throughout.

The Mellfire Trifecta: I like the chord progression–classic but still resonating. Your vocals on this are particularly good. Wasn’t expecting two songs to mention benches in the park, kind of funny.

Pigfarmer Jr: Banjo? Yes please. As others have said, this title almost begs for country so this was a nice choice. Really solid, well done.

Robyn Mackenzie: As someone in recovery, this title really spoke to me. Don’t have much to say beyond that.

Soft Rick: Gotta be honest, I wasn’t sold on the intro until that beat came in. This is another one with great harmonies. Nice guitar work.

Starfinger: At first I thought, this is a cool country rock vibe, then it morphed into something else. Not quite sure what to call that something else. In either case, it’s really original.

Sunspire: Oooh swing beat. I like when that piano comes in. I like the jazziness of this.
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

Thank you everybody who reviewed for being so kind. If I get to sound anything remotely like either The Beatles or Sweet, I'm in heaven.
"...and it ain’t a fit night out for man or beast!”
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Frankie Big Face is drinking in the sweet taste of his 2nd consecutive victory!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

What???!!!! Thanks everyone!