Song Fight Santa Cruz 2006?

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

sorry charles, but rather than make everyone suffer through the annual tagline suggestion/poll/fight for this, the name is a done deal.

and the name was picked by spud, who i think is deserving of picking the name. but it's still a surprise for now.
Hi!
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Future Boy »

Oh man but I would totally get behind Surfolicious. Or maybe Sonfight Under the Boardwalk.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Songfight Santa Cruz - Waves and .WAVs

I have one more employment detail to fall into place in the next few weeks - but I'm looking good for a Californian holiday this year.

I need suggestions. I'll be travelling with my wife and 2-y-o daughter. Where's a good place to go?

I'm thinking we'll spend a few days in SF, a few days in Santa Cruz and spend time checking out the coast south of there - but I need one more location to go to. Somewhere quite and scenic and "American" (ie. away from Australian/Swedish/German backpackers and Japanese tourist buses). I'm thinking maybe vineyards, maybe redwood forests, maybe mountains. Ideally it will be one central location where we can stay for 3 or 4 days and do stuff without too much travelling.

Any ideas?
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Yosemite.

San Luis Obispo is also nice.

Monterey bay Aquarium.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

We took a train from the red wood forestinto Santa Cruz. In the woods, there are steam trainsto check out. Lots of fun!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Amoeba Music on Haight and Stanyan (in San Francisco, near Golden Gate Park).
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

jack wrote:and the name was picked by spud
fucking meglomaniac
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Caravan Ray wrote:Songfight Santa Cruz - Waves and .WAVs

I have one more employment detail to fall into place in the next few weeks - but I'm looking good for a Californian holiday this year.

I need suggestions. I'll be travelling with my wife and 2-y-o daughter. Where's a good place to go?

Any ideas?
the really great thing about the bay area is the fact that it's within a few hours drive of lots of great shit. i think ken mentioned yosemite (about 3 hours away), which is awesome but in august it's very hot and very crowded with european tourists and japanese tour buses.

the wine country (napa/sonoma counties) is really nice and only about an hour north of san francisco.

monterey and big sur are beautiful, about an hour to 2 hours south of santa cruz. or go farther south and santa barbara is beautiful. or san luis obispo is really nice.

but really, there is so much shit to do in the bay area that you can't fit it all in a week. you really don't need to look beyond here.

and it's funny, the train roy talked about i was mentioning to plat. it goes from the beach boardwalk through the redwoods to this little town in the santa cruz mountains called felton, then it comes back. really popular with families, as kids love old timey trains (who doesn't?).
Hi!
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

± an hour north of SF, on the coast. Staying in somewhere beachy & centralish like Stinson Beach (or the more bed & breakfastly oriented Dogtown and Point Reyes), and day tripping up to Muir Woods (awesome walkable redwoods) and Point Reyes (elemental coastal beaches, all sound and fury, camping available on the beach if you're that way) with its geo-historical (Earthquakes! Slip fault damage! Blue schist knockers!) self-guided tours, and ranger station... is a really nice way to spend a coupla few days.

/my two cents for killing time in NoCal
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Caravan Ray wrote:I'm thinking we'll spend a few days in SF, a few days in Santa Cruz and spend time checking out the coast south of there - but I need one more location to go to. Somewhere quite and scenic and "American" (ie. away from Australian/Swedish/German backpackers and Japanese tourist buses). I'm thinking maybe vineyards, maybe redwood forests, maybe mountains.
1 hour in any direction from SC will get you all of those. there are a lot of nice vinyards to the south and east of SC. SF is definately worth a day or two of walk and gawk, especially on the weekend.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

Two more minor questions, because they infect me:

1) Some friends in the area want to stop by at Cayuga; do you know whether there'll be a cover charge for audience members at SF Live? And for that matter, fees for artists who want to participate?

I'm not personally worried about the price, but they're curious, and I can't hound them to fill seats if I don't know my facts! :-)

2) Does this place provide any sort of AV projector/screen for shows? I'm guessing not (didn't see it on the site), but had to ask. Some songs are best told with a silly slide show.

Thanks as always :-)
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Plat wrote:Two more minor questions, because they infect me:

1) Some friends in the area want to stop by at Cayuga; do you know whether there'll be a cover charge for audience members at SF Live? And for that matter, fees for artists who want to participate?

I'm not personally worried about the price, but they're curious, and I can't hound them to fill seats if I don't know my facts! :-)

2) Does this place provide any sort of AV projector/screen for shows? I'm guessing not (didn't see it on the site), but had to ask. Some songs are best told with a silly slide show.

Thanks as always :-)
1. as i'll most likely promote it as a public show, i might charge a small cover (no more than $5) to recover the rental cost. as people are willing to spend buttloads of money to come and visit and play, i'm willing to spend paltry amounts to find a place to play. or at least cover it up front and try to get it back locally. i wouldn't feel right about asking songfighters for money, especially on top of the cost to come. as for your buds, i think we can just have a guest list at the door. just send me their names at some point. as for cayuga vault, right now all i have to give them is a deposit. i just got the contract, all i need to do is read and sign and send/give back. i'm going to call them tomorrow.

2. not sure but i'll check. cool idea though. worth exploring.
Hi!
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

Alright, color me in.

Tawny and I now have non-refundable hotel and flight tickets for Tuesday August 15 through Tuesday August 22, which holds Songfight Live in a gentle snuggle-wug.

For what it's worth, we're staying at the Ramada Limited in good ol' Mountain View. Yes, we've heard the warnings, appreciate the great feedback, and will probably regret the drive, but we're in it for the memories (and having money to spare).

For the beancounters: the tickets (GRB -> SFO) and hotel (see above), after taxes/etc, came to $975 for two adults over this time. Prices rose a bit for Wednesday-to-Wednesday or Monday-to-Monday travel, weirdly. I don't know if this is good or bad, but it's $20 more than the first time I looked, and I wanted to get this off my mind.

So, I guess we'll see you there, Jack!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

awesome plat and tawny. looking forward to meeting you guys. :)

i'll put you on the confirmed list.
Hi!
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

Am seriously thinking of attending and performing this time around.
so is official then? August 18-20 ?, should really update the first post, with the official information, that is when it becomes official.

Looking forward to this though.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

dre wrote:Am seriously thinking of attending and performing this time around.
so is official then? August 18-20 ?, should really update the first post, with the official information, that is when it becomes official.

and then maybe we'll meet again ..this time across the country on the other coast. Ha.

I have to wait a few weeks before I can get airline tickets and what not but I'm more than likely coming.
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

Hoblit wrote:
dre wrote:Am seriously thinking of attending and performing this time around.

and then maybe we'll meet again ..this time across the country on the other coast. Ha.

I have to wait a few weeks before I can get airline tickets and what not but I'm more than likely coming.
dude, meet again ? even better, JAM for once.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

all the cool kids are <a href="http://www.songfight.net/forums/viewtop ... 2509">over here</a>