Songfight! Boston August 12-13 (I Know My Rights)

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Bjam wrote:SFL Hawaii? Actually, I don't think I want to see some of the SFers in beachwear...
Lord knows I do.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Bjam wrote:Songfighters dancing is a very special experience to see. I got some photos of the various people that played, and then some of dancing and other stuff.
They let cameras in there? ... oops ...

That was one great weekend! Great to meet BJam and the Dad, all the others, and to have some fine musicians back me up on late notice (Fluffy, Hoblit, Ken, Frankie -- thanks!). IT ROCKED and I loved hearing so much craziness.

I will praise especially the performances of C Hack, JB (my god what a voice!), Frankie, and ADD, and Jim Tyrell (in many forms), and Future Boy (!), and Boltoph, and STARFINGER (dance beat street dealer), and the Adjuster. But everyone was in high spirits and the sets were not only on time but inspired.

and THANK YOU Ben and anyone else who worked to pull this off. The venues were great.

I did not take any pictures. But I left footprints. I won't spread gossip about Sober sleeping through most of Saturday. That would be unfair.
Last edited by roymond on Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I want to hear how Starfinger's live "Blimps" sounds on the recording.

When I was yelling "Play it again!" I was SERIOUS. But I didn't get my wish. Anyone who wasn't there to hear him perform that song missed something fantastic. Get your asses there next year.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

My turn! Basically, if you were at the shows then I owe you a big thank-you.

I am still a little in awe that Adjuster was willing to drive here from OHIO with a drum kit in his car, just so the rest of us could play the drums. The Jazz decided to forego a set of his own; all he did was videotape the entire show. And he somehow managed to get a four-ton synth to the venue without having a car; I still don't know how that happened. C-hack put together some awesome shirts and you all should buy several of them. And so on; I'm sure that I'll forget to mention people who deserve it, but I would never have won this Oscar if not for your help.

Everyone who brought gear for us to use and abuse, yay for you! Nothing got broken (that I know of) despite a couple of close calls, and assurances from Boltoph that it really was okay if we set his speakers on fire. And it is awesome to watch really talented people playing my crappy instruments. I may be the world's leading consumer of cheap-ass Epiphones but they still deserve to be played well once in a while. (And restrung once in a while, too!)

I did do a little bit of work in the time leading up to the show but once this weekend rolled around, I pretty much just sat around drinking and enjoying the music. Everything that needed to happen, magically happened. Except it wasn't magic- it was a roomful of super people all willing to help out. Future Boy, especially, did a lot of the PA work, just because, hey, someone had to. No wonder they made a superhero computer game about him. Ditto Sober, except for the game part; maybe there is a new version of Warcraft out there where you shoot sober irishmen but if so, I'm not aware of it. And everyone else who helped keep the show rolling smoothly; y'all are a swell bunch.

I'd met many of y'all before and it was great to see everyone again, and those of you who were strangers (to me, that is; in reality you're all strange) were great too. We may be a pissy bunch on-line, at times, but in person there isn't a single songfighter that I'd want to kick in the shins.

Last huge thank-you: I counted through the collected donation money, and, even after this morning's starcrossed trip to Foxwoods, there was a lot of green in my coffee can. I am right around where I hoped I would be, and it is because of the great generosity and overall coolness of all you songfighter folks.

love,

ben.
moncrey
A New Player

Post by moncrey »

it was nice meeting all of you friday and saturday! You're all awesome people in person. It was a blast playing with Jim for his "I Know My Rights" on Saturday, thanks for letting me play with you, Jim. I know I didnt have a song of my own for the live fight, but I'll be entering the fight anyway online.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

<3
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Moncrey plays a mean harmonica.

Glad you're fighting, man! Can't wait to hear what you've got. And thanks again for playing on my tune.

Oh man, did I go off my diet in a big way this weekend. But I also did a LOT more walking than I usually do, so those meatball subs didn't have a serious effect on my weight. They sweetened my disposition considerably though. Mmm.

So, after the show a bunch of us went to Bukowski's for food & drink. Then I got vague (but much appreciated) directions to the general area in which the apartment I had at my disposal might be. Once I was in the car, though, I was all full of piss and vinegar and I said to myself 'Ah Hell, New Hampshire's not that far, let's just get on home and catch some sleep there.'
Well, I made it almost to the NH border before pulling over and sleeping in the car for an hour or so. Then I drove the rest of the way home, showered, posted some photos, and went off to play a couple shows. Woot! The small crowds at both venues heard all about SF Live, and I played my 'I Know My Rights' for them too. Not as good without the harmonica, I must say.
I now have an actual full night's sleep under me, and I seriously want all of you to come back here so we can do it all again.

PS: I gotta change my avatar 'cause it looks more like Boltoph than me.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

jimtyrrell wrote: PS: I gotta change my avatar 'cause it looks more like Boltoph than me.
Ah Jim, as your hair recedes my belly gets bigger, the years are not being kind to us :-) My avatar merely reflects my inner child ...warped, egomaniacal, just a little powermad and with an oedipal love-hate relationship for Lois (hmmm Lois is so HOT!)...well worthy of the straitjacket and rolling eyes....Nurse bring me my Largactil and my lasergun!!!

Speaking of which I feel very 'umble. Spud after enquiring after my age described me as one of the more venerable members of Songfight. I checked Dictionary.com and got the following:

"Commanding respect by virtue of age, dignity, character, or position"

As I have no wins, and relatively short tenure (and height!) on Songfight!, I am guessing he was referring to my age ;-). Either way I am delighted to be considered venerable and was considering changing my username to the "The Venerable stueym".....Hmmmm...Nah!!!! overtones of religious aggrandisement!

Anywho... it was a blast meeting everyone and a special thanks once again to Ben for putting on a great event. I am certain Bjam and I will both be participating in future events and continuing to develop the friendships made in Boston over the coming year through Songfight!

Bjam was especially delighted with the love and attention shown to Mr. Sparkles after all the abuse shown to Ovations previously on Songfight! I am delighted that Jim Tyrell, Bjam and I were able to fulfil our promotional obligations to those wonderful boys from CT....That reminds me I must write them and ask if they have lost my mailing address because the marketing checks just have not been making it to me...strange.....

So back to work with a bang this morning. Those of you who did not make it, please start saving now for whatever extravaganza awaits us next year. I am guessing we will be left coasting it, and I would love to go somewhere that it was not hotter than Hades and steamier than a sauna, so Bay area/North CA coast would all be nice :-)

Word!!!
Last edited by stueym on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
adjuster
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Jeskola Buzz
Recording Method: OH, GOD, THE PAIN!
Submitting as: The Landfills

Back in Ohio again...

Post by adjuster »

I am back in Ohio, in one piece, after an uneventful drive across I-90 from Boston. I spent most of yesterday lounging, and now I gotta get this drum set out of the car... *smile*

Great weekend, all. I came, saw, performed, and sang along... everything I could've hoped for. Cambridge was cool... I enjoyed my short time walking up and down Cambridge Street, seeing the locals, etc. The Jamspot is great, and a really cool concept. Every larger city needs a business like that.

I enjoyed everyone's sets immensely, and had a great time doing mine. Of course, the performances are also only half of the fun. Meeting new people, seeing old friends again, and hanging out were the highlights of the weekend.

The good news: My Friday night recordings came out very well.

The mediocre news: My recordings of the acoustic set are poor, as I was getting the echo of the PA off the back wall of the building. There's a lot of the sound of the room itself in these recordings.

The bad news: My Saturday night recordings sound like ass. There's awful hum and buzz in them, and they clip.

I know that c-hack, tonetripper, and TheJazz were all recording on Saturday, too, so perhaps we do have good recordings of Saturday night's performances. For Friday's, I will spend some time cutting the 2GB WAV file I've got down into individual songs and introductions, much like fluffy did last year. It'll probably be the better part of the week before I get to it, but I will.

Loads of fun, everybody. Let's do one again in about a year... *smile*
"A person who is born with extraordinary natural talents, or who is extremely lucky, deserves nothing on the basis of these characteristics." - Edwin C. Hettinger
--
The Attitude Adjuster, Arugably the remaining half of "The Landfills"
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

I did record it on MD and as soon as I can get my plane and be out of Boltoph's hair here in Concorde I'll be going home and inputting the recordings into the computer and master them a bit. Keep in mind that I have not heard the results of the recordings, so it could potentially turn out poorly, but I don't think so.

Also on Saturday the camera had my stereo mic running into it and that's all being recorded at 16/48 with auto record on, which means the levels will be all nicely compressed and good. So the camera may have the best audio of all the recorders for that night. Time will tell. I'll post up the highlights on the board and create some kind of Saturday night recording session in a new thread or something. Unless you all want it in here.

Keep in mind that the MD recording just had my little Sony stereo mic in it, which is alright for archival, but probably not so good for anything else. We'll see. Should be alright, but my experience in the past is it gets kind of mushy as the levels get higher. Excited to find out though. Very soon all. Soon.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Now that you're all back I'm sad I couldn't be there. Hopefully next year it'll work out better with my schedule. Now I can't wait to hear the recordings!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

Bjam and Jim, those pics are great, thanks so much for sharing them! I have to get some time this evening to get get caught up on the threads, but wanna shout out YEAAGH! What a bunch of talented, great people. I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to be at the show with you all. My regret is that I was too busy on Friday night and Saturday day, but what am I gonna do?
Looking forward to hearing everything, seeing some of the videos.
I'm gonna be back later to give my praise of each different performance I saw. It was so sweet to meet you all. rok.
Last edited by boltoph on Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

The best thing about Bjam's pictures are that you still can't really tell what I look like, though what you can see of me does look like an overweight and awkward lump.

Anyway, shout outs to my posse!

Ken, Spud - thanks for playing on my set!

Adjuster - great drums, and great conversation, as always

Starfinger - really great to meet you in person!

SoberIRL - Who knew such a small object could cause such a big controversy? ;) All in good fun, of course. You gear snob. :D

Roymond - Thank you for entrusting me to a part in your livefight song. I'm grateful for the opportunity to finally show the kinds of stuff I can do when I'm not concentrating on also doing bad lyrics at the same time. :D

Hoblit - You made my ego grow like three sizes. Always great to hang out with you. :)

Add - Great dancing. Also sorry about the butt-grab, but I've always been wanting to do that :D

Bjam, Stueym - Thanks for providing the guitars, especially Mr. Sparkles. i hate yoooooou

C.Hack - great to see you again. Congrats on the livefight win!

Frankie, JB, Tonetripper, Boltoph, and everyone else I had little conversational snippets with - It was such an intense whirlwind of activity and blurry and so on but hopefully I didn't come across as <em>too</em> much of an idiot this year.

YAY!
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

Slow day at work. Here are a handful of gushes about / notes to all
you wonderful people I met this weekend:

Ken: man you know how to make somebody feel like a rockstar. when
the drums came in on blimps I felt like I was being baptized with
musical energy. great great to meet and play with you.

Sober: you know how to act like a rockstar. Seriously, that
southern rock band will not be able to contain you. awesome to meet
you and thanks for all the tremendous help in my set.

C Hack: it was awesome to hang out with you. at the risk of
continuing to sound like a c-hack fanboy, your set was great. your
livefight was great. i'm really psyched about working on some stuff
with you in the future.

Future Boy: I should probably have just given you the keytar, man.
you deserve it. You are an amazing musician and a great guy.
Super glad to meet you in person, and I look forward to continuing
to talk to you online.

Fluffy: yes it was great to meet you in person and associate a real
face with a weblog. I was really impressed with your set and your
guitar playing. I only regret that you didn't bring your
sidstation!

Jim Tyrrell: I think I failed to tell you that I was massively
impressed by your bass playing, and your enthusiastic friendliness
made me feel really welcome right off the bat. great to meet you,
and say 'hi' to your kids for me.

JBB: what a great set, even without the 'indie rock bottom'. It was
great to meet you, and I'm so glad you liked blimps. Hopefully one
of the recordings came out good. I will do my best to come again
next year, since your motivational speech was so inspiring.

Adjuster: I really dug your performance. I hope it wasn't my cable
that sabotaged the saturday night recordings. Great to meet you!

ADD: I swear I wasn't gushing about your albums to butter you up to
do that somesongs thing for me. I'm sad I missed the gallery
performance, but thanks for such a great live fight entry. It
really rubbed it in. I wish we could have talked for longer.

Frank: Awesome to meet you. Another of my songfight idols. I'm
sorry I didnt' get to talk to you more, and I'm even sorrier that I
missed the gallery show. Really looking forward to the recordings
of that.

Tonetripper: you tantalized me with promises of talking about
Reaktor, and then you went and got hammered. oh well! It was
really great to meet you, and I really do like that song you said I
didn't like. Great set too. I'm still trying to figure out how you
summoned the thunder. Hope your recordings came out.

Roymond: you are an amazing guitarist and a super-friendly guy. It
was great to meet you and great to watch you perform! Whenever
anyone flips me off now, I will think of you.

Spud: It was great to meet you. Sorry we didnt' get to talk more.
# live is a wonderful thing. Your accompaniment of fluffy was also
a highlight. I'm annoyed at myself for running out cash without
picking up some of your cds.

Hoblit: Awesome to meet you. this is probably a weird thing to say,
but you reminded me of when I lived in new orleans. Maybe it's a
southern, near-an-ocean thing. Some kind of compatible personality.
Anyway, I loved your set. Keep the faith!

Ben/Jazz/etc.: Thanks for all the work getting this orchestrated.
Super job. It was great to meet you, and I'm sorry we didn't talk
much.

Those I left out: I definitely enjoyed meeting you and I loved your
music.

Sonfight rules the world.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Here is a nice thank-you letter from the folks at JamSpot, which is the place that we used for a combination practice-space and place-to-hang-out-and-play-pool. I thought it would be cool to pass on to the rest of y'all, if I can sneak this through our stupid database connection critical errors.
jamspot wrote:Hi Ben,
Just wanted to say thanks for bringing the SongFight to JamSpot.
It is always fun when creative folks are just hangin' out and making music.

We made some good friends from around the country who will go out and spread the word about JamSpot.

For what it's worth we will be linking you guys on our friends page
Any reciprocal link is of course appreciated.

If there is any promotion we can offer SongFight folks here in Boston let us know.
Always up for expanding the membership by giving discounts to organizations like you guys.

As you know, there is recording in every room, plus the ability to multitrack in the big room audio & DVD record.

Gotta jump, I'm starting to sound like a sales guy,

Steve Folsom
JamSp(o)t
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I wanna hug Steve for that. Can you go over there and hug him for me?
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Group hug for Steve and JamSpot!
Songfighter since back in the day.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Incidentally, it has been in the 70s F all week; comfortable and (relatively) cool.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Damnit, couldn't you have scheduled the good weather for last weekend?
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Anyone get a recording of my "I Know My Rights" so I can enter the fight this week?
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

c hack wrote:Anyone get a recording of my "I Know My Rights" so I can enter the fight this week?
I was hoping they would magically appear, myself...
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

I am still hoping...
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening