Submitting as: state shirt

The South.

Post by stateshirt »

Funny or offensive, you decide. :idea:

http://www.fuckthesouth.com/

:P
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I gotta say funny.

Sure the writer is angry, but they make some great points...

The only thing is, lumping EVERY SINGLE person in with this "north South" thing is a bit too much... sterotyping. But it wouldn't be as funny if the author took the time to be all PC about it... or to consider those in the "south" who don't agree with those elitist concepts...

Funny.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Making great points doesn't make it humorous. It's obviously designed to be funny, but it does nothing for me, because it sounds like ranting insanity. It's like a red state killed his dad or something. It has a very "You feminists want equality until it comes time to pick up the check" mentality to it, in that the author is railing against people that he's seen on television, or read about in an Op Ed piece, but never really met or talked to. My favorite part was the metaironic end where he brings up values, as if defending Americanism by deciding you know how people think based on where they live is better than defending Marriage by deciding you know how people think based on who they fuck.

I didn't think it was really funny or offensive.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Neither. Some interesting observations, maybe, but completely undermined by his juvenilia.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Neither. Some interesting observations, maybe, but completely undermined by his juvenilia.

"Juvenilia" is what makes it so funny.

C'mon, it reads like a maddox page.

Maybe I just find it funny because I'm an "outside" observer... I don't know.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward
Pronouns: he/him

Post by joshw »

*claps* :)
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

I also say neither.

I don't think it's unfair at all to draw conclusions pertaining to the aggregate intelligence of a county or state based on their voting record. If a county in South Carolina votes <a href="http://www.strom.clemson.edu/strom/manifesto.html">some asshole</a> into office for 48 years, I think it's safe to assume that the majority of people in that county are, in a word, fucking morons.

A good read. FTS.com, not the manifesto, mind you.
🤠
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

what do I think?

Actions speaks louder than words.

*Hoblit orders his slave to stand in front of the 'fridge with an assault weapon to protect his family valued orange juice while he heads out to the swamp to meet a hurricane head on*
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The Red States may not have killed his Dad, but they have helped install and now re-elect an administration which has engaged in a war that has killed ~15000 Iraqi civilians, all for reasons that have turned out to be spurious (weapons of mass destruction which were not found, connections to terrorism which were fabricated or greatly exaggerated, etc.). Are you saying we shouldn't be upset enough about that to rant, because none of our Dads were killed? When are we justified in getting upset, when 100,000 are dead? 1 million?
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by joshw »

The Sober Irishman wrote: If a county in South Carolina votes <a href="http://www.strom.clemson.edu/strom/manifesto.html">some asshole</a> into office for 48 years, I think it's safe to assume that the majority of people in that county are, in a word, fucking morons.
That's two words, actually.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

Lunkhead wrote:The Red States may not have killed his Dad, but they have helped install and now re-elect an administration which has engaged in a war that has killed ~15000 Iraqi civilians, all for reasons that have turned out to be spurious (weapons of mass destruction which were not found, connections to terrorism which were fabricated or greatly exaggerated, etc.). Are you saying we shouldn't be upset enough about that to rant, because none of our Dads were killed? When are we justified in getting upset, when 100,000 are dead? 1 million?
I'm not saying people shouldn't be upset.

What I'm saying is that this country is so fricking purple it's not even funny, and it's incredibly ignorant for the author of the piece to suggest that 100% of the "red state people" are morally inferior just because 51% of people who voted in each of their states wanted a red president.

I'm not saying that I think that either Kerry or Bush would make for a president of equal merit. I'm saying that demonizing people based on where they live is stupid.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

The Sober Irishman wrote:I also say neither.

I don't think it's unfair at all to draw conclusions pertaining to the aggregate intelligence of a county or state based on their voting record. If a county in South Carolina votes <a href="http://www.strom.clemson.edu/strom/manifesto.html">some asshole</a> into office for 48 years, I think it's safe to assume that the majority of people in that county are, in a word, fucking morons.

Okay, I know you only elected someone for 8 years, and not 48, but it's equally safe to assume that you're a fucking moron too, right?

At this rate, you'll never be unretarded.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by joshw »

15-16 puzzle wrote:
The Sober Irishman wrote:I also say neither.

Okay, I know you only elected someone for 8 years, and not 48, but it's equally safe to assume that you're a fucking moron too, right?
I think he's referring to the illustrious Strom Thurmond. Anyone who ever voted for him, ever, is a moron, and there's to be no more discussion on that issue.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

I think he's referring to Strom Thurmond as well. I was referring to this sentence: "I don't think it's unfair at all to draw conclusions pertaining to the aggregate intelligence of a county or state based on their voting record." and juxtaposing the idea of electing W for 8 years and Thurmond for 48 years.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by joshw »

15-16 puzzle wrote:I think he's referring to Strom Thurmond as well. I was referring to this sentence: "I don't think it's unfair at all to draw conclusions pertaining to the aggregate intelligence of a county or state based on their voting record."
Speaking as a liberal living in rural Ohio, I will wholeheartedly agree with you there.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Yeah, I don't quite get why we have a whole thread for this nonsense. This is a guy who assumes that the founding fathers were Democrats. And he's got a potty mouth about it, too. All the "fucking"s in the world aren't going to convince me that my state doesn't belong in the union.

And, uh, I should hope it's not supposed to be funny. Where are the jokes? What's funny about it?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

It's a rant...it's over the top...it's funny.

I figured my post illustrated that. I'm in the south... living in one of the states he mentions...but I voted Kerry.

The fact is, whether we like it or not, not everybody who voted Bush is an 'idiot' or a 'F#@~king Moron'. Just as you can't point at the southern states as the red states... and New England as the Blue states, you can't just chunk all the Bush voters into a Moron category and all the Kerry voters into the 'really smart right people' category. I know plenty of morons who voted Kerry. And God bless them for it.

It's a rant...it's WAY over the top...it's funny. If he is serious..then it's just that much funnier.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

I agree with Hoblit... it is funny... holy shit you guys you're taking this guy seriously?? I mean, he MAY be serious, but he's as guilty as those he's ranting against, with that narrow-minded, stereotypical bigotted .... thing.

That's why it made me laugh... (and make no mistake, I LAUGHED.)

It doesn't mean I agree... lots of things I find funny simply cause I don't agree.

And cursing is fun Jon, especially when you work with fish.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

I agreed with every word of it. Nice.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

Leaf wrote:I agree with Hoblit... it is funny... holy shit you guys you're taking this guy seriously??
Just because I don't think he's funny doesn't mean that I think he wants to be taken seriously.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Leaf wrote: And cursing is fun Jon, especially when you work with fish.
Ha! - now there's something I can agree with!
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Generic wrote:This is a guy who assumes that the founding fathers were Democrats.
Ctrl+F
"democrat"
[enter]
Not Found

If you're going to speak critically about something, please save us some time and check your facts. Neither the Democratic nor the Republican party existed at the time of the founding fathers.
Let cake eat them.