GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Purple Reign Poll - So Blue

Post by GlennCase »

Vote for your favorite "So Blue" Purple Reign submission.

Feel free to talk about the songs in this thread until we're smart enough to create our own message board.

Votes will be tallied until roughly 11:59 PM (PST) on December 15th, 2007. The songs with the highest vote count from each title will be featured on purpletapes.com as the "voter's picks" on (or around) December 16th, 2007.

The compositions with the four highest vote counts will be featured on the purpletapes.com myspace account unless an artist that created one of the top four doesn't want it on Myspace.

ROCK!

Glenn Case
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Spoons - Yello are alive and well and living in Spoons-town! Too much reverb on a couple of the parts (the first keyboard, and the vocal) - great rhythmic pulse going on, and I like the chant nature of the lyric very much. I think you could have got away with less reverb and made the bass end chunkier. Maybe could have changed up at around 2.15 - it seems to ask for something else at that point. I like the breakdown at 2.45ish very much. A good song, just a shame about the 'verb - it stops the song being as funky as I think it probably is. Also about a minute too long I think.

Sausage Boy - hey nice vocal performance - you sound very different on this one. It's a shame you ran out of words about a minute before you ran out of musik - yeah yeah yeah yeah indeed! Think this is my favourite of your 'for you' songs so far. Not much else to say.

S James Curtis - I like your voice - nice and fragile. Not sure about the backing vox, or effect on the vocal, whichever it is. The repeated 'I should go' is very effecting. i find myself hoping for some big crazy electro Bright-Eyes drums to kick in and take it up a level, but I don't think that's going to happen somehow - c'est la vie :) Cute banality about the lyric - the slow build at 3.00ish comes in at just the right time as I was getting a bit bored, although it swells too loud, in terms of almost obliterating the tune. Once that fades out again the song feels done, and yet somehow conspires to gone for another minute and a half. ah, yeah, this a good song. Not my preferred style of music but it works. Possible vote.

Wages - A nice little demo. The chorus is a good one. I have to say at times it sounds like you're making up the chords as you go along.

Glenn Case - The melody in the verses is a little major-key / bland for my tastes, but the changes to the minor 7th (?) key in the bridges/choruses is really nice. Beautiful harmonizing as ever. Not enough variation in the strum pattern perhaps and over-use of that slightly wet crash detracts slightly but no-one could deny this is a good song, so I won't. I like it, after a 70s MOR fashion. Lacking a killer hook but a possible vote.

Caravan Ray - Rolf Harris novelty country crap :) Good vocal performance, and some cute rhymes. I must admit I misheard 'our night of passion ended with the reaper rather than a bang' which would be a different song! This is funny, very clever, and well performed, kind of like an Australian Pele Advert. I am not sure how often I would listen to it but I really like the vocal melody on the chorus and it's certainly worthy of vote consideration.

CLMG - part of me keeps expecting the Captain Scarlet theme tune to start up, but I like the electro toms anyway, although overall it's a little too synthetic-sounding to make me shake mah booty. About a minute in I was thinking this was just a drum track so I was glad when the song finally arrived, but not sure I like yr rapping voice, it's fine and has reasonable flow, just not engaging me lyrically because I feel it is trying too hard to be wacky rather than witty. The breakdown into more trancey 80s thing is a shame for two reasons a) I was hopin' the song would be more Sugerhill Gang and b) the falsetto is wobbly in a not-so-good way. The song finally comes together at the solo. Some of the comparisions are funny, but some of them feel a bit wedged in to fit the rhyme. An Ok song.

Some pretty good songs here, but Caravan Ray takes it for me.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

"So Blue" reviews

sp00n: 16 minutes long! That has got to be a display error. The bassline reminds me of "I Can't Wait" by Nu Shooz. This song has a nice groove to it. The vocal delivery is a little weak in some parts but this is definitely a good song. I'm tapping my feet to it. I just hope, it doesn't actually run 16 minutes. Yeah, the display reset to 6:27! It's still about a minute too long though.

Sausage Boy: Hey when did WreckdoM enter a song? Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah. It's an okay song. You kept it short and that was a wise choice so that it doesn't get too tiresome. But it doesn't feel like a complete song to me.

S. James Curtis: The strings create a great atmosphere and the pianos are an interesting touch. The line with the curse is offsetting. Good song but it's gets threadbarren the longer it goes on.

Wages: It's a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll. It's a song that I could hear being played when everyone gets together and jams on the front porch. It's not a spectacular composition of epic proportions but it's a good ditty.

Glenn Case: The chorus in this song is great and has a definite hook. The vocal delivery is exceptional. The high note on the bridge isn't my favorite thing in the world but it's a small blemish in a great song.

Caravan Ray: Lyrical dynamite. It's a country style story song but it's not country. It's got a great spin on the title and the lyrics are phenomenal. Great job, CR.

Timmy the Tapeworm: Now, that didn't work at all.

Chopped Liver Meat God: thump-thump bassline is ho-hum. The vocals on the chorus need some serious work. The delivery of the speedy lines in the verses is well done. Decent song but forgettable.

Tough choice but my vote is going to Caravan Ray.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Caravan Ray: First one from these songs I have listened too, and clearly the one I am going to vote for. Flinders Highway. What a reference. A ballsy reference to something 98% of the listenership won't have a clue about, I like it. Quickly followed by use of the work penis.

Chopped Live Meat God: Looong mostly boring intro. And you have water in your toilet? What excess! Mine dried up long ago.

Glenn Case: Do unfavourable comments immediately exclude any future Purple Reign entries I make? Of course not, your a nice guy Glenn. Right. Right? Course I can't fault the musical craftmanship or quality. I just prefer your faster, ballsier stuff.

Spoon: Its got a nice repetitive beat, and kind of undulates in its structure. Is it intentional that the lyrics seem to be about being 'blue' to some degree, but the music comes over as almost cheery?

James Curtis: The atmosphere of this song is good, but it just goes for way too long and loses my interest quickly.

Timmy the Tapeworm: Was that one a sad vacuum cleaner?

Wages: I think your singing is trying to be sad, but just doesn't seem to get there. Get sad, Wages. You can do it!

Sausage Boy: I think this guy needs a serious talking too.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

sausage boy wrote:Flinders Highway. What a reference. A ballsy reference to something 98% of the listenership won't have a clue about,
And I hope you noticed I refer to the proper Flinders Hwy, from Townsville to Mt Isa - not the pissy little goat track in SA from Ceduna to Port Lincoln.

And yes - before everybody writes in to complain - I know that the Flinders Hwy actually stops at Cloncurry - and from there to Mt Isa and on to Tennant Creek it is actually called the Barkley Hwy, but it was really hard to get that detail in and still keep the rhyming scheme. But rest assured - Charters Towers really is 2 hours from Townsville, and if you hurry, you definitely can make to Cloncurry on the same day

sausage boy wrote: Quickly followed by use of the work penis.
Yes - I always like to use the work penis in these situations. Keep the recreational one for special occaisions.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Caravan Ray wrote:
sausage boy wrote:Flinders Highway. What a reference. A ballsy reference to something 98% of the listenership won't have a clue about,
And I hope you noticed I refer to the proper Flinders Hwy, from Townsville to Mt Isa - not the pissy little goat track in SA from Ceduna to Port Lincoln.
I did notice that.

Caravan Ray wrote:
sausage boy wrote: Quickly followed by use of the work penis.
Yes - I always like to use the work penis in these situations. Keep the recreational one for special occaisions.
My recreational penis is in the pool room.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

sausage boy wrote:Glenn Case: Do unfavourable comments immediately exclude any future Purple Reign entries I make? Of course not, your a nice guy Glenn. Right. Right? Course I can't fault the musical craftmanship or quality. I just prefer your faster, ballsier stuff.
I encourage the unfavourable comments if there is any merit to them. Some of it would be opinion, of course, and I appreciate your honesty on this one. Thanks!

While I'm sure you were joking, I will say that any reviews or opinions about myself or my music will have no bearing on whether or not a submission will be accepted. The only submissions we have turned away thus far have been duplicate entries, and songs that an author admitted to having written before hearing of Purple Reign.

ROCK!

Glenn Case
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I voted for Caravan Ray.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

I voted for S. James Curtis, but Caravan Ray and Glenn Case were tied with a very close second. Good job guys!
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Sp00n - I really like the groove to this, but the vocals are not connecting with the music. The mix may or may not be part of the problem. I can't really tell. They just don't sound on key, or something, and that's causing some problems for me. I really like all the instruments, though.

Sausage Boy - Starts off with some atrocious guitar tone. Then it really pounds some ass. I think I'd like to see a Sausage Boy show. Or even be in the band. You could really rock out to this shit. Kill some people or something. But this is not fun to listen to. And find some way to add balls to your guitar signal. That sound keeps going throughout and it is flat-out bad. But, you know, I like the energy here, and maybe some other things, but um, I think it needs either more coherent musical ideas, or better communication of the heaviness through the recording medium.

S James Curtis - Hmm, vocals are a little hard to make out. A little repetitive, apparently. Backing is kind of...sparse and a bit arhythmic...hard to sing over, I'd think. I'm not sure exactly what you're going for. The music is not really communicating it to me, whatever it is. Maybe it's just too artsy for me. I love to do artsy stuff, but I can never reasonably expect anyone else to get it. This kind of seems like it builds to a song that never comes.

Wages - I don't really want to hear an ode to your pipe. I could excuse the awkward form of the lyrics if the subject matter were interesting. But like I said, it doesn't grab me. Musically, this is alright, actually, as far as your guitar and your vocal melody. It's spot on, which you aren't, sometimes. But the lyrics fail to engage, which is a disaster if it's just guytar. I guess I like the line about glue. But the whole thing seems kind of stupid.

Glenn Case - Classic Glenn ballad. I think I'd prefer something rockier, but hey, this is a nice, pretty tune. I think you already know your strengths, and I don't really see any weaknesses here. I think I'm probably going to vote for this.

Caravan Ray - Okay, I really like your stuff, but I don't see what the big deal is with this song. There's nothing wrong with this, I mean, it's quite charming, I guess. But there's not much going on, musically. So the focus is obviously on the lyrics. And while I like the rhyme of "penis" and "between us," nothing about this is very interesting to me. It looks like you could win, and I guess that won't upset me too much.

Chopped Liver Meat God - I prefer to rap at slower tempos. A lot of the stuff here, including the lyrics, didn't go exactly as planned. Just one of those things where you spend a lot of time on it and your idea still doesn't come out the way you wanted it too. I like when the chorus finally comes. So I feel like I like the second half of the song a lot better. But then I feel like it just keeps getting crazier and harder to relate to as it goes. It's too bad this one's a bust. I had some grander notion of this in my head, I assure you. I still don't think it's that bad, though.

Yeah, I guess Glenn Case takes it, for me.
"81 songs and 569 posts in 4 months. You don't mess around when it comes to messing around." - fluffy