GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Purple Reign Poll - Baby

Post by GlennCase »

Vote for your favorite "Baby" Purple Reign submission.

Feel free to talk about the songs in this thread until we're smart enough to create our own message board.

Votes will be tallied until roughly 11:59 PM (PST) on December 15th, 2007. The songs with the highest vote count from each title will be featured on purpletapes.com as the "voter's picks" on (or around) December 16th, 2007.

The compositions with the four highest vote counts will be featured on the purpletapes.com myspace account unless an artist that created one of the top four doesn't want it on Myspace.

ROCK!

Glenn Case
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Johnny In The Corner - This was Jack's cool song that I blunderbussed my way onto. Good tune, eh? I think it (my vocal) gets better as it goes along, and for once I don't entirely hate it. You can my vocal fluffs and scuffs quite clearly, but I actually think they add a bit of character and check out my impressive falsetto swoops in the final verse! I do love working with Jack and hope there will be some more JitC songs coming out from under The Purple Umbrella (and no, that's not gay slang for anything ... that I know of)

Wages - good song. Vocal sounds good on this one, the BVs help give this an edge. Are you singing 'gotta relearn'? Runs about 30 seconds longer than it needs to. You maybe could have ended at the swell of reverby BVs, but yes this is good. Nice guitarwork too.

Timmy The Tapeworm - No thanks. At least this one had the decency to be short.

Chopped Liver Meat God - Good riff. Why is the backing track so 'verby (and a little quiet)? you're overexposing the singer, though actually I like the vocal here a lot, a little wobbly but in a charming. Although the lyric is a bit dumb. OK i get it's actually about a baby, and that's a sweet idea, but it feels a bit underdeveloped - there's not enough lyrically to support 3 and a half minutes - you repeat a lot of stuff, which is usually a bad sign IMO. (by the by, I would strongly advise against a line like 'Can't you try harder to learn english?' before making clear that it's about a baby - it's a dangerous angle to flirt even accidentally with stuff like that - just ask Morrissey! When i first heard it I thought 'oh dear here we go' and was very relieved to realise I'd missed the point!) When it gets Led Zeppelin-esque at 3.00ish it sounds really good, and that's definitely the best bit. Like I say, I think the mix is a little cruel to the vocal, and the words could do with a bit more work to make them really punny and pithy. Also less 'verb on the drums and guitar (is it verb? It just sounds a little sludgy). all that said, I do like this song, the melody and the arrangement, and another swing at it could make it really good, I think.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

j$ wrote:Johnny In The Corner - This was Jack's cool song that I blunderbussed my way onto. Good tune, eh? I think it (my vocal) gets better as it goes along, and for once I don't entirely hate it. You can my vocal fluffs and scuffs quite clearly, but I actually think they add a bit of character and check out my impressive falsetto swoops in the final verse! I do love working with Jack and hope there will be some more JitC songs coming out from under The Purple Umbrella (and no, that's not gay slang for anything ... that I know of)
johnny is being modest, and frankly he made this a much better song for me once he was on board. i know there was a qotd recently about who inspires you, and working with johnny, it's not so much about inspiring me to begin something as much as he inspires me to try things differently, and usually with much better results for me anyways.

blunderbussed. is that a real word? i love it!

since you already wrote lyrics for ALL of the next set of titles already, i'm definitely up for another round.
Hi!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

jack wrote: blunderbussed. is that a real word?
It is now! :)

I am voting for JitC. i hardly ever vote for something I was involved in, but I do think this is the best song of the selection.
Caleb [lost masters]
A New Player

Post by Caleb [lost masters] »

Great track Johnny in the Corner!!

Simple and delicious.
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

j$ wrote:Johnny In The CornerWages - good song. Vocal sounds good on this one, the BVs help give this an edge. Are you singing 'gotta relearn'? Runs about 30 seconds longer than it needs to. You maybe could have ended at the swell of reverby BVs, but yes this is good. Nice guitarwork too.
Thanks! Yes, I am singing "gotta relearn" which is followed by "how to really love", almost like they go together. ;)

Wages (me!) - This was done with the capo at the 6th fret (part of my "walking capo" experiment this month). I can't seem to get my mix volume to the right level. I hope people are turning the volume up when my songs play! In case ya didn't notice, I started experimenting with echo on this tune.. and dual guitar dissonance. I like what I've done with those two tool, though I'm interested to hear other perspectives. :) 8/10

Chopped Liver Meat God - The singing is not working for me. It's not necessarily the melody (though, that is hard to tell), but your singing needs more of the "uhhh" quality and less of the nasally-whiney quality that permiates most of the song. The bridge part/outro reminds me of Rage Against the Machine and is the strongest part of the tune: both the guitar and vocals shine here. 4/10

Johnny in the Corner - Breathy-Jagger vocals are kicking ass! Nice groove. Reminds me of Oasis sans crazy loud distorted guitar.. and Mott the Hopple. Possible vote getter. Good job guy(s)! 8/10

Timmy the Tapeworm - Are you three? What's the deal? 0/10 (I don't give these out lightly)

Well, my vote goes to Johnny in the Corner for a nice little tune that I'll definitely be keeping.

Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Johnny in the Corner - I reckon you could make a few pennies selling this song to Robbie Williams. I am going to cut the end part of j$ say "I love you every day" and play it back when I am feeling down. *dreamy sigh*

Wages - I'm running out of stuff to say. Uh, good work on getting through another one?

Timmy the Tapeworm - I think there is blood coming out of my ears

Chopped Liver Meat God - I can't quite pinpoint 'what your about'.. which is a quality I admire. I like the hard guitars that go slightly wonky every now and again. The vocals are terrible, but bearable. The subject matter is... an interesting choice (i was working on something similar, but more dealing with the conception phase than the 9 months after bit).
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

"Baby" reviews

Johnny in the Corner: Holy high notes, Batman. This is a good song. It lacks some variety lyrically but the musical build into those high notes is great.

Wages: The reverbed hum isn't cool. The "gotta" parts are good without it. It's very 90's grunge ballad, like a Shannon Hoone/Eddie Vedder sleepover. But some of the lyrics like "begging with all the cliches" are a bit off-setting (totally took me out of the mode of listening and into the mood of criticizing).

Timmy the Tapeworm: Could've done a lot more with that.

Chopped Liver Meat God: A song criticizing a baby for being a baby. Dang. Gotta give it to you for originality. I like the crunchy tone of it. Some of the vocals could use some polish but this is a keeper.

My vote goes to CLMG.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I voted for Johnny.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Johnny in the Corner - Nice sounding piano, I suppose. I really like the contrast between the voices. The lyrics don't quite do it for me. Johnny's fits of gasping are a wee bit disturbing (yeah, right back at you, mate). This seems to go on a bit too long. I think the lyrics just don't fill out the music well enough.

Wages - This might be your best entry in this project. I really liked this one, but I had no idea what to do with it. I think it's so nice the way you did it. Maybe at a later date, I'll think of something. I like your reverb explosions. It really does a lot to add interest to your dry acoustic sound. Vocals are a little off in a couple spots in the second half, but it's not terrible. It's not like you're completely off key or anything, though.

Chopped Liver Meat God - I don't know what that little fit at the beginning was about. Meh. I like the build into the heavy thing. Live drums don't sound great, and they aren't played too well (I only got two takes in before I had to stop for the neighbors' sake), but I think they add a lot to the groove and contribute some beef and heaviness. Everyone is right. Vocals are way too loud. I guess I make pretty poor mixing decisions when it's late. But they don't really sound horrible. They're just, as I think I remember someone saying, over-exposed. The uh part does sound better than the verses. And yeah, the angry Rage/Zep/whatever outro towers over the rest of the song in hard-rocking quality. Abandoning the idea of pitched vocals is probably a good idea for this style of music. I mean, I think it worked well, anyway. Weeeeeeee. And I don't hate babies or anything. This is sort of an untrustworthy narrator bit, and sort of to just provide a counterweight to all the positive things you hear about babies.

This is a close one. Three pretty nice songs, actually, and while JITC may win the production war, I think the vote has to go to Wages.
"81 songs and 569 posts in 4 months. You don't mess around when it comes to messing around." - fluffy