Take Another Little Piece of My Heat Now, Baby! (Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

Take Another Little Piece of My Heat Now, Baby! (Reviews)

Post by Bolio »

May this fight not make Janis Joplin roll in her grave. :!:
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
mc3p0
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

cowbell rox

Post by mc3p0 »

This should be good.
:twisted:
"The toot of a flute with the flavour of fruit!" - Caractacus Potts, 1968
BIOT
A New Player

Post by BIOT »

I was at Janis' house today, all is good. Saw the Porsche and gold records as well.
"In me the caresser of life wherever moving, backward as well as forward sluing, To niches aside and junior bending, not a person or object missing, Absorbing all to myself and for this song." W. Whitman
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

andy balham featuring kapitano
the vocals sound pretty compressed. the drums and guitars are ok but they seem to lack any real passion, seem to be sort of going through the motions, or at least thats how the mix sounds. it sounds like your backing mix is dead center and your vox are panned and i think it would work better the other way around.

the bloody hams
viva la bloody hams! i was really happy to be a part of this. ken did all the lyrics and we worked out the arrangement together. i thought leaf did an awesome job with his drums (although ken's original drums were really good too!). and i love bolio's keyboards and puce's flute. and puce did a terrific job mixing at the last minute despite a full load on his plate and his psyche. i just want to say great job to me mates.

the def author
it's like frontalittle without all the bad rapping. good stuff. nerdcore flow at it's finest.

deshead
i usually hate intros that are hard panned but you rectify it quick enough. this sounds like pretty decent late 70's rock, like traffic. nice bridge buildup with that bass, that was an excellent call, and the lead is pretty fab too. this is really good. have you ever heard of the motherhips?

edge of LA
this song kind of grows on me. at first i wasn't liking it much with the repetious hi hat hits and that dirty riff going over and over. it's like your singing, especially your harmonies save this for me. the lyrics are kind of cliche, but man your harmonies are money. the production is pretty good but could maybe use some better dynamics, like adding a second guitar to offset the droney one. the bass is excellent.

gareth duncan
this runs a bit too long but otherwise i like it. good arrangement, the singing isn't great but it's definitely not bad, could maybe use some oohs and ahhs around it in parts. guitar and drums are pretty good too.

the hell yeahs
why the hell did you have to be in our fight? where's the bass? awesome drum programming dude. and heathybear, you are arguably the best singer on songfight imho.

hillbilly
d00d, where have you been? man, i always love your stuff. pretty nice tune, and pretty tame by your standards lyric wise. i wish it was mixed a bit louder. don't be such a stranger!

johnsonic
this is pretty solid but it gets kind of repetitious. it's well done. i'm sure some folks will love this but it's not doing much for me personally.

kamakura
you get bonus points for the line "my nuts are on fire just for a glimpse of you". otherwise, you sort of sing like dylan without as much nasal.

big matt hyatt and his rusty red ryders
not much here really interests me.

pigpen
it's like bad space invader rap. and less interests me here.

tiggernaut
god, talk about the diminishing law of marginal utility. i've reached my point 10 seconds in.

faves for me: def author, bloody hams, hell yeahs, hillbilly, deshead
Hi!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

jack shite wrote:[the hell yeahs
heathybear, you are arguably the best singer on songfight imho.
No argument! i want a Jack Shite & the Hell Yeahs collab.
creep
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

piece of my...

Post by creep »

I'll give further reviews later, but after one listen DESHEAD and DEF AUTHOR are my top two. But i've gotta vote for DEF AUTHOR, this is excellent!!! I laughed my freakin #ss off, because i've actually shot at the dog myself. The production on this one is good too.....great job, i'm downloading this one for my friends.
America....what's the word?
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

jack shite wrote:it's like bad space invader rap.
erm...what does that mean?
Coherency will be appreciated Mr. Shite.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Def Author ... awesome
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

k, i review yay!

Tiggernaut (no-likey)
If you woulda added a leadline woulda been a good beat but uh...scary. *cries in a corner*

Hillbilly (no-likey)
Besides the level being so low...music did nothing for me and i could barely understand a word.

The Hell Yeahs (likey)
I likes the lyrics, good story in it and umm, yeah very good.

Andy Balham ft. Kapitano (no-likey)
Music wasnt bad but singing annoyed me.

Deshead (likey)
ummm...cant think of any good commentary but i likey.

Johnsonic (likey)
Couldnt really pick up on the lyrics except something about ketchup...so its probally better i didnt. Gangsta.

The Bloody Hams (no-likey)
Felt so, so generic. And the singing i really not like.

Edge of LA (no-likey)
Somebodys testicles needs to drop.

Gareth Duncan (likey)
Almost a no-likey. Sounds like ive heard it before but plays off my memory off of something i may or may not have heard before well enough.

matthyat...s,s,lsks (NO GAWD NO)
This song took me threw so many emotions. First disgust, then i laughed cuz i thought it must be a joke (and i hope it still is...please) and then i wondered when it was gonna end, then i was sad cuz it hadnt ended, then i fell into a depression cuz i thought it might never end, then i was amazed at how much you got into that file, then i was happy cuz it finally ended.

Kamakura (no-likey)
I dont like being whispered to. It stirs up bad child-hood memories.

The Def Author (likey)
Duck Hunt yay! ^_^
Good good good....and ummm. good.

And no review for myself cuz that would be wierd...
ieuw! ego masturbation!

Havent decided who to vote for...The Def Author, The Hell Yeahs or Johnsonic.
SaxManRunning!
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by SaxManRunning! »

So... This is an awesome fight so far... 1 thing.

I know I have been critical of Heather and her singing. Don't get me wrong when you arn't screaming you have a lovely voice. I think if you'd stick to singing I'd enjoy listening to you.

However, You tend to scream... or wail or some kind of hoible cacophony of vocalization. I think you get so into it you stop caring about how it sounds and it turns out to be annoying. Kudos on the slow parts when you had to actually just sing and not scream.

Intensity is good in moderation. Otherwise you come of as just, well, I'll think of a word for it later.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

SaxManRunning wrote:I think you get so into it you stop caring about how it sounds
Listening to Hell Yeahs tunes I get so into them that I stop caring how they sound. Of course, it helps that they sound awesome.

Glenn: Finally a nation of youth who desperately want to put a cap in that smug little bitch's ass have found their voice. I'm glad someone understands my Nintendo-based canine rage.
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

SaxManRunning wrote: However, You tend to scream... or wail or some kind of hoible cacophony of vocalization. I think you get so into it you stop caring about how it sounds and it turns out to be annoying.
WTF are you talking about? This is a rock song! I am not "screaming", I am singing loudly and with intent and purpose. You wanna hear me scream, listen to Spirit World. Sorry to have annoyed you with my horrible cacophony.
:roll:
Next time, if you don't like the song, just say so. I think you're still mad at me from some bad review I gave you months ago. :twisted:

But, let it be known that I don't mind being singled out in a post, whether it is a good comment or a bad one. Don't forget though, that there are quite a few other songs in this fight, they might want your comments too. I appreciate the backhanded "good singing on the quiet parts" compliment, but if this is a review, maybe you should give me some more tips and pointers on the music as well as the singing.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

PS Thanks Puce (and Johnny and Jack! and Pigpen, too)
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
SaxManRunning!
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by SaxManRunning! »

You reviewed me? I don't think I remember the song I did, no less your reviews.

Hey look, I'm getting to the others. But night and day on this song and I loved the non-"rock" parts... or whatever. Just thought I'd tell you what I liked about it and what I didn't, I'm still listening to others.

Sorry about reviewing. I like to get them when I write.
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street

That's cool dood, it just came off as aimed directly at me (which it was!)

Keep reviewing! Reviewing good! :lol:
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

Heather. Redmon. wrote:dood
Bah ha ha! You :idea: Jack!
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street

What are you talking about Phil??? I :idea: you!
Listen to our music!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Heather. Redmon. wrote:What are you talking about Phil??? I :idea: you!
well, i :idea: you both.

wtf....phil, where's your red skates tune? or are you incognito?
Hi!
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street

We love you too! No offense on my previous comment... Phil's just been really sensitve (in a joking manner) about some of the Hell Yeahs' male fans lately, like you and J$... :)
Listen to our music!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Heather. Redmon. wrote:We love you too! No offense on my previous comment... Phil's just been really sensitve (in a joking manner) about some of the Hell Yeahs' male fans lately, like you and J$... :)
i think he's sensitive of the attention you're receiving period ;)

that what happens when you have a wife that rocks. phil should know, the drummer never gets no respect.

for the unenlightened few, phil is a very large part of the hell yeahs. at least oh, half of the reason they kick so much ass
Hi!
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

Jack-

Yeah, I didn't make it into the Red Skates fight. I was trying to use some live drums, but had a bit of equipment failure/shortage holding me back, plus some late nights at work. We're actually lucky to have gotten the Hell Yeahs' tune done this week!

Well... I mean, everyone else is lucky.Image
johnsonic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

POMH

Post by johnsonic »

Deshead's ROX.
BUTTZ?