What are you listening to right now?

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Elvis... fuckin'.... COSTELLO. Is the MAN.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

trainspotting soundtrack. (volume 1 -- volume 2 will be for tomorrow). one of the greatest compilations of songs ever made. not a bad moment on the whole disc.

incidentally, while listening to the first track ("lust for life") i was wondering how frankie would feel about that song -- out of curiosity i was watching the running time, and the intro is 1:13 before the first verse comes in.
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

How does the Kraft work?

Post by Kapitano »

Kraftwerk - Tour de France

I wouldn't have the nerve to use harmonies that simple, or analog synths that unprocessed...or that much vocoder. Or lines that corny, or rhymes that dumb. But somehow, it all works brilliantly.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Future Boy's brilliant remix of The UnDesirable's Happy Machine Ankle
Hi!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Joanna Newsom's 'Sprout and the Bean'. It's really cool - like a female Devendra Bernhart with a harp and a telephone vocal filter.

Does anyone know anything about her? I only know this song - there's an album ('The Milk-eyed Mender') but if it's all just girl'n'harp I am liable to get bored and be disappointed.

On the strength of this song, however, I can proudly say, Girl 'n' harp = the new boy 'n' guitar!
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

TheHipCola wrote:The world does NOT need a heavy version of Presidents of the USA. Same setup, drums and bass only, with the occasional bit of synthesizer. Lots heavier.
for what it's worth, there are quite a few (very good) heavy bands with that setup, including ruins, zeni geva, and lightning bolt. all well worth checking out.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

the velvet underground.
more specifically, the one with the banana on the cover.
man, that is an awesome album, i don't think i will ever get tired of listening to it. i mean all of the songs on it are good. but in particular, i think "heroin" is definitely one of the most perfect songs ever written.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i love that song "heroin." it's awesome. i should get that album.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

yeah that's how i felt. one day, a couple years ago i just said to myself, "wow i don't own a copy of that velvet underground album and i need to stop not having it right now" so i ran out to the record store.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

When reviewing, I use Shining Like a National Guitar as an aural palette cleanser, like sonic ginger between pieces of Songfight sushi.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:Joanna Newsom's 'Sprout and the Bean'. It's really cool - like a female Devendra Bernhart with a harp and a telephone vocal filter.

Does anyone know anything about her? I only know this song - there's an album ('The Milk-eyed Mender') but if it's all just girl'n'harp I am liable to get bored and be disappointed.

On the strength of this song, however, I can proudly say, Girl 'n' harp = the new boy 'n' guitar!
Yes - Bridges and Balloons has been getting a lot of radio airplay here. It's the only song I've heard (also girl/harp) - but I like it - I'm keen to hear more.
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

Having a bit of a nostalgia trip at the moment and listening to David Sylvian - Tin Drum (Japan), Gone to Earth, Secrets of the Beehive. Still sound great. I'll have to check out his new one.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:
j$ wrote:Joanna Newsom's 'Sprout and the Bean'. It's really cool - like a female Devendra Bernhart with a harp and a telephone vocal filter.

Yes - Bridges and Balloons has been getting a lot of radio airplay here. It's the only song I've heard (also girl/harp) - but I like it - I'm keen to hear more.
Call me a public service announcement, but here's an MP4 of the video I found on her record label website. I can'na play it (can't be bothered to track down the codec) but i assume it works ....

http://www.dragcity.com/video/JNewsom_sm2.mov

j$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Bell Green wrote:Having a bit of a nostalgia trip at the moment and listening to David Sylvian - Tin Drum (Japan), Gone to Earth, Secrets of the Beehive. Still sound great. I'll have to check out his new one.
Blemish? It's pretty good... for my money, I like things with more instruments, but the quality is definitely there. Pretty dark. Not as catchy, obviously, as some old stuff.
Have you heard the live Sylvian/Fripp Damage? It's great.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Richard Cheese: Lounge of the Machine (hahahaha) a lot of lounge covers of stuff like...
last resort
rape me
shit like that
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
Blemish? It's pretty good... for my money, I like things with more instruments, but the quality is definitely there. Pretty dark. Not as catchy, obviously, as some old stuff.
Have you heard the live Sylvian/Fripp Damage? It's great.
-bill
Cheers Bill, I'll definitely check them out.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

I was at the thrift store the other day, hoping to find an inexpensive 19" monitor for my mom's computer, and of course had to browse the used CDs... found two "treasures":

Bob Dorough I had heard of because he did a bunch of the arranging for the old "Spanky and Our Gang" albums, and I can still remember Blossom Dearie performing "Five Meanings of Love" (unfortunately, not on this CD, but I have S&OG's version on LP) on the Merv Griffin show sometime in the early 70s.

These are both just classic examples of mid-50s jazz stuff, the kinds of recordings they just don't make any more... heck, they don't even make FONTS like these anymore...

Charles

P.S. - if the images above stop working it means allmusic.com is more clever about hiding album artwork than I though...
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Bob Dorough.. did he do some Schoolhouse Rock work? I'm thinking he was the guy who sang 'Lucky Seven Samson', but I'm not sure. I guess I could Google it...

EDIT: Yeah, just answered my own question. I love that guy. He's on a Xmas compilation I have called Hipster's Holiday, with Miles Davis, I think. The song is called Blue Xmas.
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

Blue Xmas? The one about the guy who hates the holidays because of all the consumerism? That's a great song if it's the one I'm thinking of.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Yes, that's the one. A family classic.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Poor June wrote:Richard Cheese
oh man, i downloaded that album a while ago (i don't still have it though)
it was pretty hilarious in places, and actually not too bad sometimes.
Poor June wrote:a lot of lounge covers of stuff like...

shit like that
yeah, that was my favourite song too.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

tviyh wrote:
Poor June wrote:Richard Cheese
oh man, i downloaded that album a while ago (i don't still have it though)
it was pretty hilarious in places, and actually not too bad sometimes.
Poor June wrote:a lot of lounge covers of stuff like...

shit like that
yeah, that was my favourite song too.
Dont' forget the follow-up Tuxicity.

The sad thing is that I'm not joking.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages