Chill out, already (Everybody Calm Down reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
j$
Gemini
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: Chill out, already (Everybody Calm Down reviews)

Post by j$ »

Some more reviews ... getting there ...

WAIL. IAAC.

Thomas Mann – cute. Tom Waits / Scott Walker influences work well and your voice works well and keeps it fresh. Love the Spanish guitar feel. Think the verses are better than the chorus. The bass gets a bit ribbitty there (you know, like the sound a frog makes. How do you spell that?) Superior arrangement, production and performance. Song is a little long without much variation and it really needs a bigger chorus to move into my personal taste bracket. Then again that’s somewhere most people probably wouldn’t want to be, anyway. PS love the tone on the solo.

Noel – why did you leave in the false start? Is it meant to be charming and affecting? It just made me check that the mp3 was streaming properly. Words are hard to follow. A little bit gloopy in the mix. Maybe thin out / EQ some of the bass end out of the acoustic to give the vocal more room to breath in the mix? Not that I really knoe ehat I’m talking about. Pretty – by 1.45 I find myself craving a little bit more variation – the arpeggio plucking while impressive becomes a bit .. dare I say .. monotonous? Still a very lovely song. I think it’s the gloopiness that stops me going kick-ass prize-winning about the song. And not being able to make out the words. These are the things …

Reist – Sounding good, young man. I thought it was going to be more Kiss-esque from the start, but I guess there is that feel to it of ‘Crazy Crazy Nights’ or whatever (in a good way) – I don’t like the spoken part much, and the words are absolute pants! But It’s pretty cool and well done, I like the end of the chorus a lot more than the start of it and wish that section (‘I am the one ..’ with the harmonizing) appeared more often and more upront in the mix. Other than that, unless you had a big bass guitar firing flame out over the internet, I can’t see how it could be improved upon, within its own genre… so does that mean I should give you a vote? I guess it does …. [vote]

R Mosquito – Where is the bass end? Where is the bass end? WHERE IS THE BASS END? It sounds so thin …I am all for making songs sound like they were recorded on cassette in the rehearsal room (although it clearly wasn’t unless your band are music-robots) but actually I am not getting to the end of an otherwise good sounding punk stomp because there is NO BASS END,. Naughty mosquito!
Reist
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Man, what happened to this thread? Everything was going great, and then page 6 killed it.
gert
Llama

Post by gert »

SomeGuyCalledNoel: Like the soundtrack for a documentary about jerking off. No vote.

Blues Manufacturing Facility: More like piss manufacturing facility. No vote.

MC Eric B: I don't know what makes this song suck so bad, but it really works.

Johnny Cashpoint: You're like the Thomas Edison of making stuff sound like shit. No vote.

Melvin: Such as hath been belch'd upon by infected lungs.

noah mclaughlin: Nice song, but at the end my stomach was still dry, so no vote.

Octothorpe: This sucks butter from my ass. No vote.

Adam Dachis: It's ok, but it'd be better if you put it to music.

Puppies and Flowers: How do you play the drums from inside your own ass?

Sockpuppet: So, as an outsider, what's your opinion of musicians?

Tuba Toothpaste: As Üter would say, "this is like puking out my hole."

The Hand Formula: Was anyone else hurt when you killed whatever made this sound?
glennny
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Aardwolves- Wow squishy compression, low quality recording. Cute song. Nice melody and pretty voice. There’s gotta be a thread around here for how to do a quality sounding G & G. Something like Magix software $80, Shure 58 $90, Fire One $150 at Musicians Friend. There’s better advice around here than mine. Anyway, it’s a nice and cute song, wish I could hear it better.

Adam Achis- This is sloppy, very sloppy. Desperately needs a click track. Nice melody. Terrible lyrics.

A Late Thaw- Is that English? Mumble speak. This is very boring. Ah, I can understand some words. Pretty guitar, but not engaging. String slides are very loud. Voice is OK. Almost Stairway to Heaven at the beginning. This sounds like a very sleepy Mark Kozelek.

Andrew Reist- Alright! Some meat! This just plain freaking rocks! Great drums, great guitar playing. Nice solo. This is totally devoid of any jazz. I’d love to hear you absorb some jazz and expand your genre a bit. This is great! Gets a vote!

Billy’s Little Trip- You’re competing with yourself. I can always count on a good song from you. This is one of your better ones! Deserves a vote. Nice riffs!

Blues Manufacturing Company- Offensively unoriginal and bad.

Finding Nemoy- Frisbee has got one of, if not my favorite voices, on Song Fight. Not to mention probably my favorite lyricist, and song writer. I’m trying to decide what parts are KMS. I assume acoustic is Frisbee and everything else is KMS. This is an excellent song. Gets a vote! Well done!

Flvxxm Florvm- WTF? Please just choose another chord pattern. Solo a lot and stop with the Spiderman crap.

Gert- This is one of my all time favorite Song Fight entries. Smalltown Mikes vocals are the coolest thing since Mike Doughty. I want to know who does what in this super group. I think it’s Leaf on the insanely good guitar. I’ve only met Boltoph, and I’m trying to place what he did on this track. That’s Deshead on chorus vocals? Wonderful voice, perhaps over annunciated. The piano break is beautiful! I love the structure, the whole package. I can’t imagine this losing. Big Super Vote!

The Hand Formula- What did I ever do to you?

Johnny Cashpoint- Weird mix. Very cool song. I’m very entertained by this. I’d like to hear another mix of this. Syd Barrett splendor. This gets a vote.

Jonathon Mann & the Berkeley Social Scene- I love this song. I agree the structure isn’t the most original, but I figured it was all about the story and performance. I love the drum sound Ken got. Sam (Lunkhead) deserves a lot of credit for this recording. Beyond the excellent lap steel line he was the producer. He took notes and criticisms from a ehole lot of us throughout the week. I think his mix is excellent! Martin’s bass line is very nice and in the pocket and appropriate. I played Mandolin and lead guitar, there’s some micro beat timing issues with the lead guitar, something with the translation of the overdub. I had a hard time coming up with a lead that passed. You can imagine the pressure of trying to submit a guitar solo to Lunkhead. Then there’s the man Jonathon Mann. What a talent! Freaking wonderful voice! Hell of banjo player! I’m also incredibly impressed with his acoustic playing, it’s just sooooooo in the pocket. Awesome! A very well written song. It’s even a story, hot damn! These guys are all so professional and cool to work with! Gets a vote.

Lyric Burglar- Caravan Ray, another nice boppy tune. Fun, dancing and drinking song. Not your best, but a respectable entry!

MC Eric B- I don’t believe you’re honestly trying.

Melvin- Very well done. I hate it. You’re a genius, you’ve done this before : “Control Yourself” (Mr. Big Stuff). I liked that one better. I’d like to see you stretch if you’re going to stretch in any of the following genres: metal, jazz (bop), Persian folk songs, Kecak, Doo Wop, or full on Freaking 1977 Disco!

Noah McLaughlin- Nice! Enjoyable rocker. Just short of a vote.

Octothorpe- Does Dr Demento still exist? Have you been on his program. I think this would fit well in a Dr Demnto set. The backing vocals “Calm Down” is my favorite part.

Puppies & Flowers- Much needed metal. Very nice to have some good old Death Metal from a band called Puppies and Flowers. Nice guitar playing, many jud juds! I’ve been enjoying this all week, however still a bit short of a vote.

R. Mosquito- WTF? Good song, terrible recording. Seek help please. Love to actually hear your music some day.

Sockpuppet- You NEED a better drummer. The timing issues really degrade this otherwise fine song.

more to come, thought I'd throw out what I had so far. I apologize for the order of the alphabet.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
roymond
Gemini
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

glennny wrote: Melvin- I’d like to see you stretch if you’re going to stretch in any of the following genres: ..., Kecak, ...
I went to a bunch of Kecak performances in Bali. Yes, we should have a side fight!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Leaf
DALL-E
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

GERT roles on Calm Down: (as far as I know... )

Rhythm guitars, second solo, backing vocals: Boltoph
First Solo, keys,final mixing, chorus vox: Des
First and third verse vox: Smalltown
Second verse: The hip cola
Bass: Tonetripper
Drum kit: Leaf

All Gert songs are different, but generally the bass and drums are TT and I... the rest depends on who started the writing process, and who got in there first! Our method is different each time as well... I hope this answers some of the questions I`ve seen.

P.S. Gert as a reviewer is a fucking asshole. You really were in Loverboy were n`t you.
thehipcola
Grok
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Leaf wrote:GERT roles on Calm Down: (as far as I know... )

Rhythm guitars, second solo, backing vocals: Boltoph
First Solo, keys,final mixing, chorus vox: Des
First and third verse vox: Smalltown
Second verse,: The hip cola
Bass: Tonetripper
Drum kit: Leaf

just wanted to add I had a hand in the backing vox as well. It's tough to keep track of who does what sometimes, especially when we get together in Westport, get all liquored up, and start trying to figure out who did what on what tunes. :)
Smalltown Mike
Mixtral
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

glennny wrote:Gert- I can’t imagine this losing. Big Super Vote!
Thanks. This is also my own favourite Gert tune of all time. But I don't think you have a very good imagination.
Leaf wrote:P.S. Gert as a reviewer is a fucking asshole.
Wow—agreed. He's also difficult when you're trying to make eggs.
thehipcola wrote:just wanted to add I had a hand in the backing vox as well.
Yea, but I told Des to bury 'em in the mix. Just so you know.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
thehipcola
Grok
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

right...I heard that too. Had to carve the space out your shaker part. No sweat.
Leaf
DALL-E
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

thehipcola wrote:right...I heard that too. Had to carve the space out your shaker part. No sweat.

Dude. Considering how much my grammar has been taken to task, SOMEONE has to call you on that shitty sentence.

heh.

So. Um. I was kinda noticing, the reviews are kinda... um... sad. Weak, poor. I mean, I promised to re-review the songs I liked on first listen, and since I was able to slip out of work there for 20 minutes and buy a nice bottle of wine to go with my half finished bottle of fireball, I'm sure I'll get right on that tonight. But really, it seems some fighter's didn't get their "Songfighter manual" cause I'm pretty sure it says on page 243, section 4, paragraph vi "all songfighters SHALL review the fight they have entered least their membership be revoked".

"Shall" is one of the strongest words you could find in a contract people. It's stronger than must, will, and of course our favourite weasel words "may" and "I'll get back to you".

Look, I know this has NEVER been mentioned before, but the reviews are critically important to my development as an artist. They will be the catalyst and direction to shape my ever-so-promising career as an eclectic hard-rock-progressive-ska musician. If I don't get more reviews, how the fuck am I gonna write the 12 perfect songs to go on my independent album that I shall heavily market on facebook, leading to fame and fortune for all time???

DAMN IT.

just for that, I'm gonna re-review the songs I wasn't fond of tonight. BUT I WILL MOST LIKELY BE INEBRIATED. It is Wed.
Leaf
DALL-E

Post by Leaf »

Welcome to Leaf’s complete, about face thoughts on Everybody Calm Down.

That’s right, I’m giving you all a second chance. Actually, it’s gonna be three chances for some...
Now, my original impressions still stand. They were first impressions, after all! But today we’re going for something different.
Today, I have all the tunes on shuffle... just playing in the background. The idea is to get some pre-conceived notions OUT of my head. Likewise, I’ve pulled my song and Gert’s out of the rotation, cause as we all know, we tend to love our own stuff more than others. If you think otherwise, you are a fucking liar...not only to us, but to yourself. Spare me your perspective on this philosophical point... I shape my reality, not you.
To add to the excitement, I am NOT paying attention to the artist name. That’s right. Unless I know you’re voice or style, I’m not gonna really know what I’m listening to. For example:

Some tune is on right now, reminding me of acoustic foo fighters, and I’m digging it. Did I dig it the first time? I don’t really know. See how fun this is?

Hmm... this tune has promise... hokey piano riff and style though... and the vocals are just crammed together without any real flow that is working. Like you’re trying to say too fucking much. I get it... she’s going somewhere...but . Yeah, this reminds me of Romper Room.

See. Fun.
Hmmm. This one starts out like U2 or something. Did that singer just say “come on yourself?” I CERTAINLY HOPE SO. Reminds me of a tune off of zooropa, but only if U2 lost all sense of rhythm. Yeah, god, this has to be Fluffy. I wanna check... I wanna check... BUT I WON’T. See. FUN. Hmm. I do like this one more than I did earlier... I can tell that I didn’t like it earlier. Now, “nothing’s gonna change”... but half way through that line someone strangles the singer. WHY THE FUCK DID YOU DO THAT. This song is better than I though but it's masked by poor execution. I remember Fluffy once saying something about how someone shouldn't have to be able to do something as well as someone else to have an opinion on it. I still think that's a bullshit defense for inadequate execution of material. See, just cause you got a decent song buried in there doesn't mean it's overall good... it's the whole meal deal my friend. Just don't supersize it. I'm trying to slim down. but yeah, song is better than I noticed on first listen. Ya know, This reminds me of something else. I just didn't like or get Erik's stuff until I covered one. Then, it was like... "damn, this guy's got good ideas". In fact, I liked it so much that the experience shaped my writing. First time I've publicly admitted it. Don't get excited Erik, your jokes still make no sense to anyone else but Generic. I jest. They are funny sometimes. Still, it's probably a good idea to cover other independent or new artists for some fresh ideas... yeah.
I guess it boils down to whether or not the songwriter expects the listener to pick out the ideas and express their opinion on it... which is really unrealistic. At least, over here it is. I gotta take in the whole of the material and express my thoughts on that.

Snicker. Now this is funny. I’m listening to this one, and I think...HOLY FUCK that drummer sounds like me. DUH. Retard, that was you. That’s the stuff you sent to Boltoph before you left for your 3 week stint in hell. Heh. Well, whoever he is, he’s damn good at imitating me. Good job dude. FUN FUN FUN.
See. Reviewing is FUN!!!! Bastards.

Hmmm. This one still sucks. Why? Cause zztop did it already, and way better. You sir, need to do a cover fight. Actually, you need to get away from this style. It’s not you. You just think it is...but I can hear that something far more interesting lurks beneath that bluesly shuffle that I’ve had the misfortune of playing in too many bars for too many years. Wake up, be yourself. You’ll be cooler, you’ll make more friends, you’ll sell just as many cds. Solo has promise... whoops. You need to do more takes. I really liked the coughing though for some reason. Call me sick. Just liked it. Yeah, I kinda like where you’re head is at on the solo, but the execution is just that. An execution.

Damn. I know this is you Johnny. Sorry, you’re too distinctive. Why do I feel like I have to justify digging this? Fuck that. I know why though... cause you sound wacky. I like the drums. They sound real... are they? That crazy weird horn thing in the background... warbling around. I think if that wasn’t through the whole track it’d be more effective... maybe just on the chorus’. This tune has more potential than one week gave you... but I like it.

I don’t know who this is... reminds me of Paul Simon. I said that last time didn’t I? It’s cool. Actually, the chorus kinda isn’t as good as the overall tune. All these neat things happening, but the chorus seems to be forced... but duh. It’s teh title, not like you had a choice. I guess it feels like you could have ... hmmm. Second time seems to work better. Now why is that? Funky, groovy, latinish tune. Lots’ of cool harmonies. Is this the berkely thing? Damn. I can’t look. Nice guitar work in there. I really like this one.

Hmmm. Heaviness, with a sum41esque melody line that sounds like a keyboard. Vocals remind me of men without hats. Anyone remember when they tanked their career by going all guitar? Fuck that was cool. Stand up for what you believe in even if it means fucking over your own career. Seriously, that’s a fucking great thing. They rule. (see complete about face on this opinion when I grill Melvin. FUN!!)
This song is cool. Did I like this the first time? I dunno. Like the heavy riff... vocals sound cool....sometimes sound weaker than they should. I’m guessing due to time constraints? This is good. Solo time. Soloist has good ideas, but lacks quality riffs. Still, its’ not blazing my face off with IRRELEVANT riffs, so it was still good, but not polished enough for my liking. This is very Canadian sounding... why do I think that? Is this really Deryck Whibley?

Man this next dude sounds like that Max the Cat guy or something. Hmmm. I don’t even remember this one. It’s um... crappy drums. CRAPPY CRAPPY DRUMS. Seriously, not liking those crappy casio knockoffs. It’s depressing when you want to like something cause someone is clearly trying... but hey. It’s not try-fight. The horns sound fake too. The bass is cool. It has this 80’s “I wanna be in a funk band but I’m not” feel. Damn it. I don’t even like the rhymes. Yeah. Sorry, not doing it for me. Wait. I can tell what it is that I like. There is some clear musicianship here. But the song itself... not doing it for me.

Okay. It’s the female thing. Guitar sounds too bassy to me. Vocals buried. Don’t bother explaining how shitty your set up is. That’s like an Olympic swimmer blaming their poor time on the fact they didn’t shave their legs. You do shave your legs right? See, no excuses. You have a voice that sounds ... cute but sultry. So which one is it??? I imagine you wearing Nana Mouskori glasses. Ya know what you need? A midi interface. Get some cool drums and sounds going on. You got a shell of a song here, but the guitar playing isn’t strong enough to make it the focal point, the song isn’t strong enough to carry it, the voice is promising but it too isn’t there yet. Yep. Don’t waste your time working the guitar/solo voice thing. It’s so played out and dull. Dig into your talent and your mind... what do you WANT to sound like..not what are you forced to sound like!!! DIG WOMAN!! DIG!!! Yeah. See. Fun.

Man, this one here... with the good chorus “please calm down, please calm down, the only thing that matters... “ this has a catchy chorus. I believe that to be important... and some lenoard cohen.. .hmm. I recall saying that last time. Is that a good thing to compare ya to? You have a good voice with a cool character to it, and this song seems to emphasis and demo that. I wish the cool phasy guitar part was louder and the acoustic or shaker thing whatever it is...the folky part was quieter. I mean, c’mon. Stick to the important stuff. The cool bits. This is groovy. Groovy is good. Solo is good.

Okay, who’s entering the Mario Brother’s verison of blues??? Blues songs have to be good. Not formulaic. To be fair, it sounds like who ever is doing this is having fun, but the fact is it sounds like a jam track for practicing your soloing. It’s just not interesting at all. If you were playing this in a bar, it’d be my cue to get another drink. Or hit on my wife and pretend she’s a stranger....ah... fun. FUN!!! That gratuitous swearing will not endear you to me dude. Okay, it did a little, I admit. I mean, imagine... you’re in a bar, and the band is playing that same fucking riff they all play when they ran out of material... fuck. See, I blew the illusion right there... cause that’s what this is. Filler. This ain’t filler fight man. Nice fade. Tells me you’re done.

YEAH !!! REvolut... whoops. PUNK ROCK FUCKERIEY!!! Even better. I like this. Nirvana... yeah, tons of Nirvana there. See, if I saw this live, I’d be jumping around, LANDING ON strangers, spilling gin everywhere, and possibly rolling over my ankle. Hmm. That part would suck. This is my kinda tune. It rocks fucking hard. Yeah. Fuck that chick dude. I’m with ya. You are a rude guy aren’t you. Dude. Stop objectifying our sisters. Nah, I’m kidding. This song is great.

Uh oh. This sounds familiar. Not in a way that amuses me. I don’t even want to finish this one... sorry man. It’s just too silly sounding. In a boring way. Again I get the President’s of the USA comparison. AS the song goes on it improves, but really only cause I made that association. Well, it was short. Maybe I’m being too harsh. We’ll see as it gets more listens and I consume things.

Uh oh. This one has no redeeming qualities. I mean, it’s got guitar, it’s got voice, it’s recorded. It’s boring. It has strange chords that don’t actually make sense. This reminds me of that guy. Ya. Him. Poor june. You knew who I meant. Again, I’m TRYING to like it. I shouldn’t do that.

Beach boys. First thing I think. That fuzz tone is NOT working for this listener. Things about this I like... the punky vibe, the fact it’s tight. The fact it’s got some spirit. But otherwise, not winning me over.
Am I still having fun???? <deep breath> YES DAMN IT!!! FUN!! FUN!!! Fun. Fun.

This one’s got a reggae vibe going on. Vocals got to much ... something. Layers or something. Repetative. But ... today I am liking it. Cause it makes me want to PARTY. Seriously. I can’t wait for work to end today. Yes. I can review at work. Suck it.

Mad Dog. Too distinctive to get away with me not knowing it’s you. I like it more on second listen. I do not agree that it is tight though. The chorus is better than I thought originally..there is a female voice there right? I like it. the snare sounds like a snot shot. This is circus music for demented clowns. There are actually QUITE A FEW of those. So, that’s a niche market that is underdeveloped. Hmm. I actually like the chorus. The verse bits sound too cluttery and eclectic. Hey, that solo again. It has nice tone. That’s the deal with that. Ya know, on second listen, all the tones are better. Sorry, not the drums. They sound like snot. Literally. Don’t lament that, just fix it. The chorus is good. I wonder what an Octothorpe tune would sound like if you had some iron-fisted producer who didn’t accept anything but perfection?? What would octothorpe sound like if they were produced by Bob Rock? Food for thought.

Gert. I thought I took you out of here? You little bastard, had to rock my head off didn’t you? Oh...this is the guide track version. I stand corrected. You only rocked half my head off. Full version required.

A weed song. See, I like the topic. But that doesn’t mean this song is ... dude, the chorus doesn’t even match the verse. Okay, I got it. All you do is buy a nice plaster puppy. Now, Carefully wrap your weed in plastic, then cover it in some material that is x-ray and smell proof. Hey, I can’t do it all for you man. I can only provide SOME of the ideas. Anyway, to continue, then, carefully place the properly sealed weed inside the plaster puppy. NOW!! Ship it to me. See. You’re song is better already.

Melvin. Do you secretly like this style, or are you trying to get laid... do you have a bizarre sense of humour? Help me out man. Cause you do good work. But how many people do this style and do we really need more?? I mean, look. I’ll pump out a metal tune if I’m feeling it... and lord knows we got enough of that going around, BUT I DIG IT. So, if you dig casually rapping over someone else’s hit cause it’s fun, then cool. I can appreciate that.
BUT!! If this is what you want to be, how you want to “represent”...then I am even more upset at the hiphop generation for completely fooling today’s kids into thinking it’s the only worthwhile reality out there. The music, it’s great. The recording is great. The rapping... it’s ... eh. Dude. I can’t say anymore. This song makes me angrier than Slayer’s “war ensemble”. THAT’S ANGER Man.
I seriously wonder how you’re taking the stark negative opinions of your tune. I hope what you’re getting out of it is that people look forward to your stuff... no one says it’s badly done, or shit production or playing. Think about how Metallica tanked 12 or more years of their career with inferior shit “cause they felt like it”. DO YOU REALLY WANT THAT?? I’m not helping am I?

Now, to be fair, the actual goal here is to get some familiarity with the music, then review WITH the artist’s name. So, stay tuned. I’m gonna listen, I’m gonna dissect. I’m gonna be cruel, I’m gonna be kind.
I’m also going to get very drunk. That’s right. While I’m at it, I’m gonna dream up some totally goofy review format... certainly going to have to grade the tunes. But how.... hmmm. (yeah. I’m not drunk yet actually. JUST YOU WAIT!!!)

Look, for the songs that just didn't win me over in any capacity the second time, yer done. done, done done.

But I really feel like doing this again tonight, but drunk. heh. (seriously, there is nothing else to do here... isn't that obvious yet?)
thehipcola
Grok

Post by thehipcola »

There is nothing that I enjoy more than reading Leaf's reviews. Nice. To think you're just ABOUT to get drunk.....
boltoph
Claude
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

Smalltown Mike wrote:
glennny wrote:Gert- I can’t imagine this losing. Big Super Vote!
Thanks...but I don't think you have a very good imagination.
Glenny! Thanks for the props and thanks again Ziplee for the accompaniment in NYC, and such. I will try to get in with some reviews. What's the lineup of the Jon Mann/Berkeley Social Scene song?
Smalltown Mike wrote:
Leaf wrote:P.S. Gert as a reviewer is a fucking asshole.
Wow—agreed. He's also difficult when you're trying to make eggs.
that bastid. Just look at him up there!!! That greasy, smiling face. . . that shit-eating grin.
thehipcola wrote:just wanted to add I had a hand in the backing vox as well.
That's not all thehipcola had his hand in. He's trying to be modest, I think. The hipcola drives twenty hours to rock out on acoustic guitar on a back porch in some random place with guys he met on the internet and traded pictures with. That's pretty ballsy. In turn, he becomes the wave whisperer. If you listen close to his vocal you can hear it . . .
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Leaf wrote:I remember Fluffy once saying something about how someone shouldn't have to be able to do something as well as someone else to have an opinion on it. I still think that's a bullshit defense for inadequate execution of material.
How can someone quote me so accurately yet so profoundly miss the point? I wasn't defending mediocrity, I was defending criticism.

If person A and person B both suck, person A can certainly point out that person B sucks (and by the same token person B can still point out to person A that they suck), and it has nothing to do with whether person A realizes they suck or not (although it helps if they do).

The absolute WORST response to criticism is, "I'd like to see you do better." THAT is what I was talking about. Nothing else.

Anyway I don't think my song is the pinnacle of excellence or anything, it's just a dumb thing I crapped out real quick because I had a silly idea and had been itching to record something.
Leaf
DALL-E

Post by Leaf »

It's not fair of me to mention a conversation, out of context, from over a year ago, without acknowledging the point that has value, sorry. I can see the way I phrased that more reflects the point I was trying to make, NOT the point you were making (which I totally agree with. There are no "rules" of opinions")

What I am saying is that having an opinion does not give it any value beyond the originator's perspective.
In fact, the point I've always held is about the merit of the opinion, beyond personal choice.

To say "I have an opinion, and it has more MERIT on a topic matter than someone who has more skill, experience or whatever" is where I say bullshit. At the same time, some opinions DO have more merit that others.

My reason for mentioning it is that I believe there is merit to my opinion on the performances that goes beyond "me likee me don't likee", and so, to preface that I'm gonna give you my blunt perspective on the performance (not the writing), I brought it up. I honestly felt it was important to do so, based on your responses to reviews.

I hope you noticed that the song structure and ideas appealed to me more on second listen. This should be more important to you... well, at least I think so. Unless you've spent countless years honing your skill only to fail. Then my purple people eater, you are in trouble.
fluffy
Unstable Diffusion
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Leaf wrote:It's not fair of me to mention a conversation, out of context, from over a year ago, without acknowledging the point that has value, sorry. I can see the way I phrased that more reflects the point I was trying to make, NOT the point you were making (which I totally agree with. There are no "rules" of opinions")

What I am saying is that having an opinion does not give it any value beyond the originator's perspective.
In fact, the point I've always held is about the merit of the opinion, beyond personal choice.

To say "I have an opinion, and it has more MERIT on a topic matter than someone who has more skill, experience or whatever" is where I say bullshit. At the same time, some opinions DO have more merit that others.
And that is definitely not what I was saying at all.
My reason for mentioning it is that I believe there is merit to my opinion on the performances that goes beyond "me likee me don't likee", and so, to preface that I'm gonna give you my blunt perspective on the performance (not the writing), I brought it up. I honestly felt it was important to do so, based on your responses to reviews.

I hope you noticed that the song structure and ideas appealed to me more on second listen. This should be more important to you... well, at least I think so. Unless you've spent countless years honing your skill only to fail. Then my purple people eater, you are in trouble.
All righty then.
Leaf
DALL-E

Post by Leaf »

THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE REIEW.

I have cosnumed a bottle of wine. it was tasty. I barely pay attention to lyrics. I mena. fuck, they're just words.

The Weakest Suit: I like this. hehehe.. I am CERTAIN I said something different earlier.. HAHHAHA. now that I'm enjoying myself, I like you'\re voice. robert smithesh. Yeah. You know what would make this more paletable... either make the vocals more "electronic" or add an organic elelment.... so that it doesn't all sound like it's coming from a cheap keyboard.
cause, the music is tight, the vocals are., and I do like your subject mattaer all joking aside.

melvin: Fuck man. Isn't it cool you can even do this. See, as much as I'm slagging your CHOICE, you do it fucking great. like that trumpet.. now is that par to fthe sample, or you? The back up vox... all soft and choice in the background... you or a sample? boittom line.. if there are no sampels on here, than production wise and musically, outstanding. stlyisitic, look, seriously, Im a SHIT rapper. yiou are beter than me. and it's not good enough to be a star... but the SOUHND of this track.. great. the arrangement, all that, good. Seems like ther eis a hole in there that could be filled on oocassion... I m not technically cradte c fuck. Cradf./ CRAFTY enough to tell you what I'm getting at... but it's like there is some ground missing in the chorus section that feels slightly (SLIGHTLY) empty. like the difference between hearing a tun on the radio and saying FUCKYEA as ... whatever. it's done wwell, and I really couldn't match that production man. Well done.

billy's little trip. Okay man. I love the sound, teh vibe. The drums sound fucking fake though. good, but ... the snare... it's too static.... you need a drumer, or a sense of a drummer with a personality, not a beat keeper. listen to your tune.. it's got personality... in the voice, inteh guitars, the bass is driving, the drummer sounds COMPETENT. fuck man. YOUR DRUMMER SHOULD RIP. dont' forget that. Okay let's talk board potlics cause I got nothing more to say about your tune otehr than I love it. HOW THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE MORE PSOSTTS THAM ME?? Seriously, you got a problem dude. Were you tramatixdd as a yyouth for tlakoing too muchy??? Ya. I've nver seen a guy say "PM SENT". dude, pm means privat message... how fucking priact was that. hahahahahaha.... some day we got to collab. I think it'd be fun, if we could fit our fucking heads through teh same door at the same time we'd rule. Ummm... do I know you? No, your song was great, fun.

Mosquito: still, the retarded distorition itrriates me. AND I"m HAMMERED. dude, this is not good. Fortnulate... fortun. himmm.... fortunately YOU ARE. And I cannt' type sober let allone like this.

Reist: seriously, change your avatar. you are not a kid anymore/. I keep wanting to take your candy and kick your shins. I seriously remember you're stuff as being so inferior to this one... which is fucking awesome... you fucking great canadian drummer dude you. you make me proud to be a canadian. The sound is great. your drums sound great. Your lead work needs work, but not a lot!! Your voice sounds great. The song itself... is okay. I've heard lots like this. I think what it lacks... is a strong hook. I've had a hard time with this hook concept myself... but stilll, you need one man. otherwise, great. This pop-punks style is okay, and you sound authentic, but is it really you? What you live? This was the track that has surpirsed me and surpassed my expecatitons of the artist. Take that as you like... I'd take it as a compliment. My work room mate is here.. he totally dug this tune. he is not a musician, just leaned over and said..thsi one is good amn, good voice... so there!Q!Q!

Blues Manufacturing Society: Look. I want to like it cause the vibe and musicianship is good. But I dont'. neither did my cowroekr dude.

Jonathan Mann and the Music students (and former highschool theater troupe) society : Man do I like this. My buddy think sthe vocals are too bland. I feel like I'm in a jazz club digging the sceene.

Gert: I fucking love it.

Pupies and flowers: YOU HAVE NO IDEA. this was all done in a six hour period from the poinjt taht I decided to actually do it to the final screaming... which freaked my wife out, but I assured her it would sound awesome and it fucking does. Damn. I had no expectqation of many getting it or liking it. That being said.. mus tt say... I toally totally enjoyed working on it... such a pleasure...

Tuba toothpaste. no interest on third listen. sorry dude.

aardvzrks: sultry? what the fukc was I tlaking about? Okay, forget the shit I spweed earlier. First thing, get a decent mic. Seriously, sepond the dough, dot he research, get a defcent mike. Ypour song is good. I don't personally have ONE SINGEL song I can just bust out on gutiar and sing. MNind ytou IU'm . I gotta slow down on the typeing here. Okay, mind you, I'm not a fan of the style, but you have nice dynamic and feel. REally, I got NO CLUE what you are singing about, third time through. The crappy recording is distracting. Most people hear that, not audiophiles. Its the rare person who can see through crap recordings and hear the gem underneath. lucky for you, alot of thsoe people hang out here. but in reality, you gotta get a better set up FIRST. Cause, 10 years from now you're gonna be pissed this sounds like shit cause you couldn't find the 100-300 bucks for a mic and another 150-350 for a preamp to sound GOOD. I can't really tell how great your voice quality is. your performance is great.. liek I said, dynamic, lively (I mean life filled... yeay) but the recording sucsk ass. you know it, I know it. but ..yeah, fix that.

Lyric Burglar: things I like. things I dont'. still get gordon lightfoot. WHICH I FIUCKING LIKED MAN. I think the constant guitar soloing is too much. It takes from other parts... needs to not be so present. see.. right HERe on the NANA part whcih si great, it drops out, drums get cool, and the whoel thing sounds better cause les is happeing.l fuck. I could learn from that adice. advicd. cuck. what ever.

FindingPResidentsofUSa: man, it's almost blatant. wiat, I'll test it. yep. I told my roommate work guy "hey, you hear the new president; tune \' an dhe TOTALLY BELEVEd M<e. yeah. so there. either you are them, or you are WASTING YOUR TIME. Cause, stylistiaclly.. they proved it 's a short career man. Actually,.. I loved them.. each time I hear your song i like it a bit more. I tease you... it's kinda fun.

Flzxxymmm floorrumm get a anme I can spell by memory: ("x" would work): Man. Why did you put time into this? heheh. no, it's done ok. Still dig the harmonica. But I've been to TOO MANY jams on this idea to really care. sure it's done okay, but it's DONE. your' lead is okay,l but falls apart. C;mon man. u can CLEARLY do better. some how, you're focus is off.. yeah... we'res the interaction? The life? another lead... better than the last one... YOU KNOW WHAT. this whole tune smacks of "I can do this" and not enough of "this is what I got to say". I dont' feel like calming down at all.. or like you got any reason to tell me too. I fel like yo got a vehcile to express your musiciality on, not something that is ... makin me somthing, taking me sonewehre... you get the drift.

Johnny: you don't really use a "skype mic" you liar. Cause skype didn't even fuckin exist when you started recording and I doubt that was some fucking upgrade. My roomamate thingy thinks it sounds "miltary" ... funny. You know what. Your songs seriously make me feel like I'm 14 and it's the 80's again. Yeah. I need more wine. I like it Johnny... I thnk you could sculpt the soundscape more... make it more dynamic, etc.

Adam D: What the fuck are you talking about??? My roommate thing things thinks this was intersting. I think you sir. ARE A PEDOPHILE. htere. I said. it. I probably shouldn't have. okay, look, Ive spent a bit of time reading threads and read something about someone alwasys writing about ... unsavvory things that aren't funny... invovleing forceably using poplitically correct terminology. what the hell an I talking about. right . I wondered if they meant yo...
It was weird.

ericgenearic mc someting: Wow. you got better. your'e vocals are still a bit flat, but hte groove i' dig. reggae... ish. I love that. but man, don't double vox that are out of tune, or mix one lower.. it's too apparent otherwise. I enjoyed it though....

sockpuppet: You know what. the drum IDEA is cool Still reminds me of U2. The song though, is dis-compbulated with itself. if you had a bass line that pounded straight 8ths nice and powerful, it'd tie this stuff together better. And, you need to mathc your stumming to the drum pattern. this is where people think it's disjointed. listen to it, they are fithting eafh other, but if you LISTEN to JUST the drums or JUST the guitar, they are fine alone. Ironic, caus eyou said you felt that .. .whatever. And that "channaggeee" part is out of your league. the sound is fine, other than the absence of strong bass. yeah, man you need to RE DO That guitar, so it's pushing and pulling more rigidly like the drums are hammering out. I suspect it's easier for you to match teh drums than the other way around? I swear to god, your indivudajl parts are all happeing other than here and there mistakes...but the collective cohesive ness is not there. Hmmm.. I dunno. your sound quality is pretty good ya know. This disjointed feel is so distracting, I can barely hang on. Dude, you could totally do something stellar. it's in there.

A Late Thaw: the guitar introthe is fucking sweet. sounds great. The vocals have completely lost me.

the Hand formlua: ummm... I dunno. I'm thinking it's time for me to got to bed.. I'm fukced up. I gotta work tomorrow. I \' guess... the end of the dya, this song isn't doing it for me at all.

Octothorpe: Do you know how much fun it was to play with octothorpe? Ive tried to explian this group to peopl. I think the first lyrics of this song pretty much sum that up. It's just too hard to understand that you understand what your'e doing. "some things can't be explained'. I mena, really, some of your grooves are down right creepy...yet at leasst half the band is MARRIED... maybe more creepy. Like, what's the point??? is it to make a recorded song expereice? I duno. To fuck with our minds? to simply have fun an dnot gie a shit? All I know is that playing with yuou was like heing in a hardcore punk band... so strange, I was losing my mind with it. So, it' sprety much dificult to say I don't like it, caus eI secretly do. fuck, nice secert man. go to bed. yeah. BIt, when I review it, I reviw as if that part of me isn't there, otherwise all you get is "yeah octothorpe". I mean, if that's waht you want, fine, no prob. But... I'm not that kinda guy... cause I'm not. so, yeah. it's okay, but it's an in joke... while some of your stuff ISN;T... it's transferrable outside of the SF arena... maybe I'm biased cause I got to connect with tose tunes once a long time agao....I suppose that's a part o fit.

I'\m starting to fall apart here.

Noah: I like the cymbals. They sound like you should pack 'em in a bag and mail 'em to me.
The doubled vox are too prominent... I do that too though.. .it's so tempting eh? But it's making your voice sound ... cluttered...

Todd: I fucking love this one man. It's excellently good.

well. htere you have it. I have too muvh time on my hands. I honestly hope that someone got something postiive out of my comments.. cause dudes... and dudettes I guess... it's all about music ya know. And ... in that, we're all winners.

snicker. I am FUCKING swinging on a tree.
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

Leaf wrote:billy's little trip. Okay man. I love the sound, teh vibe. The drums sound fucking fake though. good, but ... the snare... it's too static.... you need a drumer, or a sense of a drummer with a personality, not a beat keeper. listen to your tune.. it's got personality... in the voice, inteh guitars, the bass is driving, the drummer sounds COMPETENT. fuck man. YOUR DRUMMER SHOULD RIP. dont' forget that. Okay let's talk board potlics cause I got nothing more to say about your tune otehr than I love it. HOW THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE MORE PSOSTTS THAM ME?? Seriously, you got a problem dude. Were you tramatixdd as a yyouth for tlakoing too muchy??? Ya. I've nver seen a guy say "PM SENT". dude, pm means privat message... how fucking priact was that. hahahahahaha.... some day we got to collab. I think it'd be fun, if we could fit our fucking heads through teh same door at the same time we'd rule. Ummm... do I know you? No, your song was great, fun.
Yeah, I've never had much etiquette, forum or otherwise. I seem to build up posts here as much as I build up credit card debt. It's like after a night of heavy drinking I'll get my CC bill and think, who the fuck stole my card then put it back in my wallet just before I woke up. I'm pretty sure Spud is just fucking with me and adding to my count, because 1 particular night of fdrink posting, I woke up with around a thousand more posts. *points both fingers at my eyes then back at Spud* I'm watching you, buddy. :P

edit: Oh, the reason I said PM sent to Ken is because I hate to leave someone publicly hanging, especially Ken because he's been a HUGE help to me here. There's nothing worse than posting a thread and no one even acknowledges you. Call it a crime of passion. :wink:

Oh, and I think we could fit our two heads through the door for a collab.
....wait, are we talking about the head with two eyes and a nose, or the one with two balls and an eye? Image
Last edited by Billy's Little Trip on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
shadowy puppetmaster
A New Player

Post by shadowy puppetmaster »

SOFTWARE DOES NOT LIE

THE HUMAN ELEMENT DOES
Spud
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Hey Leaf, how's the hangover?
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
shadowy puppetmaster
A New Player

Post by shadowy puppetmaster »

ALL HANGOVERS WILL BE ELIMINATED
Leaf
DALL-E

Post by Leaf »

Well... I just went and stacked 70 lb boxes, 5 per minute, for an hour and half cause we're short staffed today... so the hangover HAS BEEN ELIMINATED.

I do feel a bit nauseous though. I have a sluggish crew today. think they might have followed my example... lol.