Where your rating is (Come Down reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Re: Where your rating is (Come Down reviews)

Post by john m »

jackfrost wrote:everything is constantly changing. "back in the day" does not exist as some kind of constant, just a trend that you happened to experience.
You know, you're completely right.

Sorry for wasting my time and yours, folks. I shouldn't have tried to change what you guys have going today. Even if it hasn't been what I've wanted it to be, the fact that so many people defend it so vehemently shows that it's meaningful to a lot of people the way it is, and that's fantastic. Good luck to all of you. I really can't overstate how much songfight has improved me, and I hope it does the same for you.

Thanks, songfight! You've been pretty awesome to me.

Later.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

TheTungstenSheik wrote:
john m wrote: Tungsten Chic - I only review serious entries.
Fair enough. You don't, after all, owe me a review. No one on SongFight pays to be here, no one had to prove any qualifications, no one has any direct obligations. But by that same token, I don't owe you what you consider a "good" or "serious" song.

[...]

I'm okay with being a joke to you. [...]
Very well put, Dr. Hawking. This post impressed me far more than your song did. Hang around, why don't you? :)
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

adamadamant wrote: I love the guitar in the bridge too.
Thanks man, really. It was, however, the first time I've ever played a synth solo live, with zero sequencing at all. I was pretty stoked about that. I even figured out how to run the frequency controls on the formant filter with a foot pedal. :D

p.s. -
sorry for not getting any reviews in, work's had me going 16 hour days here. No entry either. pff.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

BTW-

In the end I voted for Quimby and BLT
Max the Cat
Humboat
Doctor Worm
Big Crouton
and Adam Adamant
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Todd McHatton
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Todd McHatton, Grass Stained

Post by Todd McHatton »

Collaborations anyone? I would enjoy that more than attempting to critique your amazing work.
Thank you for the votes! I was very surprised and very proud to tie with such a fantastic song.
I definitely have a harder time writing reviews than writing songs but I'm working on it.
I know it's late - My votes were for: Chthonic Chthock, both Quimby tunes, Who Fly (always been a consistent favorite for me here - as i.p. too), and Humboat (don't know how this didn't win - I love it).
A couple of stand-outs with comments:
Doctor Worm - Those verses are amazing and inspired but the chorus almost ruins the whole thing for me. This song could be absolutely epic - which it sounds like it's trying to be. Just treat the chorus better. It sounds like you could absolutely kill in this style if you dialed down the pretensions.
Steve Durand - Not that I sing any better but please let me or someone else have a shot at singing one of your tunes. You're clearly a great writer but the vocals don't match your other extraordinary talents. Play your strengths and play them hard. Don't even bother with the weaknesses. If you don't consider this a weakness I apologize - perhaps it is just a matter of taste. But, I would like to do the vocal tracks on one of your songs sometime if you'd have me.
Big Crouton - Another song that I'd like to sing on. Again, not because I could sing it any better, it's just that I haven't done anything like this in a long time and it would be very fun. Maybe a Layne Staley vocal style, add a second voice in some parts, and rock the minor 2nd wavering.
Abominominous - This sounds great. Everything about it is working. Personally I just would have liked to hear something absolutely aggressive ripping that bridge up.
That's all I've got on this now. I'm going to try and get over and do the wkta reviews right now.
phetal
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Laptop (Reason 4), Keys, Vocals!, Immmmmmaaaagination!
Recording Method: Into Microphones, via MIDI, or Cave Drawings
Submitting as: i.p. / Who Fly

Post by phetal »

Todd McHatton wrote:Collaborations anyone? I would enjoy that more than attempting to critique your amazing work.
Thank you for the votes! I was very surprised and very proud to tie with such a fantastic song.
I definitely have a harder time writing reviews than writing songs but I'm working on it.
I know it's late - My votes were for: Chthonic Chthock, both Quimby tunes, Who Fly (always been a consistent favorite for me here - as i.p. too), and Humboat (don't know how this didn't win - I love it).
Wow thanks!
I'm down for collaborations, depending on work and the other things that steal time from me.
----------------------------------------------
- The Phobias - i.p. - Who Fly - Phetal -
----------------------------------------------