Better sit down for these results (False Positive reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Better sit down for these results (False Positive reviews)

Post by rone rivendale »

Rone Rivendale – This isn’t techno and it isn’t hip-hop and it isn’t rap and it isn’t good at all. It’s rubbish.
Yeah, it IS Techno. And you're right, it's not hip hop or rap. It's Techno. But thanks, at least now we got the genre label settled. Now if we can get to a review of the song that would be pretty kewl.
Rone Rivendale
--- sounds like something you whipped up on a Nintendo DS: muddy vox, cheap effects, etc. ---
--- tuneless singing ---
--- lacks a chorus or anything interesting ---
Techno often doesn't have a chorus. It's rarely about the lyrics, but more about the beat. If you focused your entire review over my vocals then you missed the point of the song. It's a Techno song. It's meant to be shallow.

It's a shame that no one 'got' my song this week. But that's okie. I like the way it turned out. This is actually the first song that I've done that had effects put onto the lyrics since my "I Hate You" SF song which was like... 3 years ago? I think it added a kewl touch to a nice beat. Sorry that you guys don't like it. ^_^
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Eric Y. wrote:after spending all last week wishing for more reviews, I think I'll contribute some here. Give me a couple days...
Crap, I lied. Lotta stuff ended up going on at home and I never got around to sticking them on a CD to bring to work. SORRY...
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Berkeley Social Scene- I would've thought Caress Of Steel before the Who, but I see what people are saying. Doesn't last long anyway, and the intro is delicious. I like both voices here, but not sure I enjoy the trade-off for some reason. I get the reason for it, but I dunno. Nicer when they are together. Nice playing and while the guitars may be a bit bold in the mix, they sound great and are played by a couple of SF!'s best, so I can't complain. Nice tune all around, I enjoy the pop ending as well.

Chopped Liver Meat God- This starts off great and turns a nice corner later, maybe whittling off the last verse before the beat straightens out would've helped: seems a bit strained. Love the distant guitars raining down in the first section over the almost lurching beat. Passionate leads work well and I enjoy the tone more than I should. Professor Paco says in sum: Whittle out a chunk, and re-do the vocals all around.

Elaine DiMasi- I liked this better as the week went on, as the during the first listen I thought it wandered too much trying to find itself. I still am not a fan of the foghorn synth, at least in this setting. Still, nice vocals, of course. I understand this was a quickie for you, but the beat is a little cheap at times. Good starter point or demo for improvaroonis later.

Hijack & the Requests
- Boo. I can appreciate the silly humor behind this, I guess, but too much and too lame. Maybe for 25 seconds.

Jon Eric sings Ross Durand- Nice melodies, I think I prefer the verse ones although the na-nas are fine. Nice bridge, (almost too) short and sweet. It seems like the song could be longer. I mean, it doesn't race by and it feels like it's complete, but I dunno. Maybe an extra piano riff or a bit of music instead of going right into the bridge. Not a complaint, but more of a feeling at song's end.

Mantzfield- I really love the frantic pace of this and the breaking up in re-entry drum fills, but where does this go? Nice transition to the moody part, if sloppy and the return of the Zanies is fun. Metal section part not as fun. No relevance to the title, minus lyrics, I still enjoy this and hope that you can sing us a tune next time around.

noah mclaughlin- I like the arrangement here but feel that the lack of strong melody takes away from the overall strength of the song. Love the builds in the guitars, simple but very effective. Lead section works well in a 60's jam kind of way. Yeah, your voice sounds good here, but no melody to take home with you. Mix-wise the song is well balanced and there's nice separation, all the instruments sound good and compliment each other well.

Old Man Grumpus
- This is a great tune suffering from being undercooked. Don't put this one too far away, it would be worth fixing up. Smooth out the piano and re-do the vocals for pitch and passion, add some simple and well placed backing voices. The instrumentation is nice and sparse, but a simple guitar strum, with maybe a tremolo on it during the chorus might be nice. Worth the effort, this song is, I'd say. Good job, sir.

Paco del Stinko- This is about drug addicts leeching off of 'the system'. Sour slide lead, undercooked as people have mentioned, won't happen again. Honest!

Pathetic Wannabees- Great lyrics crammed in and squeezing out. Doesn't matter. This is beach party fun and provides great imagery of the band on surf boards against a fake ocean backdrop. Manic energy delivered with a smile, you guys rarely strike out and this one is a tasty little nugget.

Punch Camel
- Punch Camel or: Booty Alone. I can see how this might make someone crazy, and I'm not actually sure where I get the patience to listen to this, but I guess that I get it. Makes me wish I were drunk or on pills or something. Don't really like pills, but ya know? Simple and bluesy, with a good dose of boozy. The ultra sparse beat works here but maybe not for another song, at least soon.

Rone Rivendale
- I like the mumbly synth, all drunkenly swirling, but the vocal delivery sounds too middle of the night and one take only. The cymbal accents seem misplaced as well. Nice blurpy sound. That's it. I like the synth tones, half of the beat, and none of the vocal sections.

Ross Durand Sings a Generic Song- Catchy and toe tapping, it's also family friendly feeling. Great backing vocal work, the doodit-doodit section is nice. Love the harmonic entrance and tone but I get all smiley when the auto-wah/talk box sound comes in. This is just the right length, but feels like it ends too soon. It's complete and very well balanced, with variety keeping it fresh in a non-distracting way. Should be the winner this week.

Steve Durand- Gee, that piano makes it sound so serious. Sounds great. The horns warm it all up nicely. Fun and interesting take on the title, well done. This song feels so organic and breathes, I'm sure due a lot to the piano. If you can add acoustic drums to your arsenal you'll be all the way home. The minor change in the chorus makes me think of a Ringo tune I can't place at the moment. Regardless, a strong entry and well paced, comfortable in its shell. Ah: Photograph, by Ringo.

Stolen Holiday- Gentle and easy going, this is a pleasant listen. I don't know that I feel bad for the narrator, what'd he do to get her to leave? I feel like it's his fault and he's just feeling self pity. Still, nice lyric crafting, just not eliciting my sympathy. Production-wise, the song could use a bit of sparkle, but not to the point of making it aggressive and taking away from the mellow pace and feel.

The Weakest Suit
- I want to hear this vocal in a huge reverb hall. Unusual for me to want that or think I might enjoy it, but this is doing that to me. A simple backing voice on the chorus would be nice as well, starting halfway through the word blown and joining in for the rest of the line. Good demo, worth spiffing up. Of course, you must have a zillion songs in that state!

WreckdoM- Driving and swirly, fuckin' A! I totally dig the fuzz bass, not always easy to get sounding good, makes me want to break out the Mammoth. That drumming fella you guys have recruited has really given you guys some added heft, do what you have to to hang onto him. Within reason, of course. Great tune, pounds face and makes you want to throw up at the same time. Somehow, that is a compliment! You guys are great and only getting better.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Congratulations to Ross, for really making my song shine! It gave me great joy to hear you bring my creation to life, and the votes seem to reflect that. Thank you!

Also congrats to Stolen Holiday. Nice harmonies!

And to Weakest Suit for a strong 2nd. Not bad for a 2-chord guy'n'guitar song, right? :D

And finally, thank you to everyone who wrote reviews. It's too late to vote, but not to review!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by The Weakest Suit »

thanks to everybody for the positive reviews. this came as quite a shock. the whole song came together in one afternoon from concept to recording. i am very, very happy that it was so well received. thank you very much.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Congratulations Ross and Generic

And Stolen Holiday
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
booty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by booty »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:
Punch Camel
- Punch Camel or: Booty Alone. I can see how this might make someone crazy, and I'm not actually sure where I get the patience to listen to this, but I guess that I get it. Makes me wish I were drunk or on pills or something. Don't really like pills, but ya know? Simple and bluesy, with a good dose of boozy. The ultra sparse beat works here but maybe not for another song, at least soon.

You are correct sir...on all accounts. Couldn't get the troops in for other instruments or the studio magic of Blue. The BCT will be coming back for Amsterdam.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Booty wrote:Couldn't get the troops in for other instruments or the studio magic of Blue. The BCT will be coming back for Amsterdam.
Right on. Still dug your tune, make no mistake. :)
Mantzfield
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keys
Recording Method: Sonar
Submitting as: Mantzfield, Rapehorn

Post by Mantzfield »

thanks to the guys who done reviews, i did say somewhere that i would but everything went crazy busy and i ran outa time!
I can't say I was expecting many positive comments, i've not a great songwriter, (essentially the reason i decided to do songfight) and it was a little rushed. I did have lyrics to start with but as I was recording the song it kinda moved in a different direction and I just went with it. The song was about a kinda depressed guy whose forcing himself to put on a brave face and go out into the world, with moments of clarity where he realises how crap everything is followed by his inevitable breakdown.
It was decididly sloppy in places, especially the breakdown part, and although I didn't intentionally mean to play it sloppy the first time I did it, I deliberately kept it casue I liked how it went with the idea of the his breakdown.

glennny, I checked out Rumah Sakit, wow, an incredible band, amazed they even came into your head while listening to my song! My songs are usually a little further away from that style, but thanks for bringing them my attention!
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Generic wrote:Pathetic Wannabes: Why the silent majority is always so loud... that's pretty clever.
I had been trying to figure out why that sounded so familiar to me, then today I heard CCR's "Effigy" and it came to me.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Generic wrote:It's too late to vote, but not to review!
OK, I'll bite.

Berkeley Social Scene - Starts off sounding pretty; I like both vocal parts. But once the male part comes in it feels like there are way too many different things happening at once (in the background). Like somebody decided, OMG! there is a relatively empty space at some point on the stereo spectrum, we need another little bit of guitar or something to throw in there! Around the guitar solo before the last chorus, there are slightly more loud-sounding, electric, parts which either do a good job of covering up some of the rest or else some of the other parts have dropped out at this point. Either way, the arrangement sounds more cohesive for about the last minute or so.

Chopped Lyricburglar Meat God - It's very strange where you've chosen to stress some syllables or put pauses within phrases. Like, "... they can think- - - OF" and "every phone- - - call I- - CAN". The doubled vocal line is appreciated for the way it enhances/complements the pseudo-melody. Getting near the end, the guitars and vocals definitely take a turn for the heavier, but not much happens with the drum part in terms of dynamic change, which detracts a lot -- and emphasises (in a bad way) the fake-programmed-sounding-ness of the drums.

Elaine DiMasi - Great use of harmonies and "his bowtie is really a camera" style countermelodies. The singing and overt 'positive' attitude of the narrator (by the way I like the change from "I expect to get.." to "I better get..") are nicely undercut by the somewhat ominous and foreboding background tones that are mixed amid all the electronic psychedelia.

Hijack & the Requests - I absolutely hate the vocal effects used here -- all of them. The backing track is a bit too minimalistic; next time maybe skip the train and give the "A" game a try? (Somehow I can't shake the comparison that this is like Pumpkin Buzzards' little brothers snuck into their studio and were screwing around with their equipment).

Jon Eric Sings - This is precisely what would happen if Ben Folds Five covered "A Long December"; whether that's more complimentary to the writing or the performance is a matter of your own opinion.

Mantzfield - This kind of lacks a certain chemistry, possibly due to the drums. Especially in the breakdown parts, it sounds like somebody tried to program random hits to add a human element but that isn't something that can be emulated.

Noah McLaughlin - I'm curious what exactly is the difference between Noah McLaughlin and Ford's Theater Disaster -- does FTD always use collaborators? Anyway, this is the best mixing job I've ever heard from you, everything comes together very well, nothing sticks out, the vocals aren't too high. In particular, there is a strummy guitar part just a bit left of center that sounds really nice - is that an acoustic/electric where you've mixed the direct signal and a mic together? Whatever it was, the tone of that is great. (Oh, the song is good too).

Old Man Grumpus - reminds me a little of Jim of Seattle, whatever happened to that guy? These double-tracked vocals, the way they are just somewhat slightly out-of-sync, throws off my ears, makes it a little tough to pay attention to.

Paco del Stinko - The "False positive / true negative" line sounds like the kind of thing that teenagers latch onto and think, "wow these lyrics are so deep and meaningful" (see "Smells Like Teen Spirit") but doesn't really mean anything at all. Everything sounds good, especially the drums, but that slinky bass tone doesn't really fit the overall mood of the song, I thought.

Pathetic Wannabees - The lyrics and vocal delivery are both awesome. Great overall feeling, and a perfect length (just enough to leave me wanting more).

Punch Camel - Was this guitar recorded through the headphone jack on a teeny tiny practice amp? The vocals sound like some kid from New England trying to affect a Mississippi Delta accent. Overall, pretty vanilla.

Rone Rivendale - Can't hear the vocals very much over all those goofy synthesized noises. Not really a complaint.

Ross Durand Sings - This is precisely what would happen if Ross Durand covered "This Old Apartment"; love the instrumentation here, and the (chorus? pre-chorus? whatever) is fantastic -- the "he's a non- he's a non- he's a non-" part.

Steve Durand - Funny story, quite cutely delivered. Makes me smile each time I hear it.

Stolen Holiday - Once I manage to get the association with "In My Garage" (melody) out of my head, this is a great song. Love the way the dynamics keep increasing just fractionally in intensity, adding more vocal parts, but nevertheless it stays really mellow.

The Weakest Suit - Starts out kind of promising, with interesting imagery -- using "land of the dragon" is a nice metaphor -- but the rest of the song (besides the chorus) suffers from a complete lack of imagination. A bit too specific in its use of concrete details, like you were afraid there was any slight chance the listener mightn't decipher what event you are referring to.

WreckdoM - Coolest theremin this side of Melting Euphoria. Odd how well it fits in with the stoner rock extravaganza here, but it really does. Nice job stealing Butthole Surfers' guitar and bass, too. Sorry I didn't get the chance to vote for this one.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Eric Y. wrote:
Generic wrote:It's too late to vote, but not to review!
OK, I'll bite.

Jon Eric Sings - This is precisely what would happen if Ben Folds Five covered "A Long December"; whether that's more complimentary to the writing or the performance is a matter of your own opinion.
That may be the single most backhanded compliment I've ever received.

Thank you for the belated reviews, Eric. :)
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Generic wrote:
Eric Y. wrote:whether that's more complimentary to the writing or the performance is a matter of your own opinion.
backhanded compliment
Only if you don't like Ben Folds, I guess. I meant it in a good way towards you and Ross both...
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Gotta love the reviews!