If you can't say anything nice..(nothing is everything revs)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Re: If you can't say anything nice..(nothing is everything revs)

Post by AJOwens »

Niveous wrote:
James Owens - You are in the unenviable position of being behind that song. Maybe I should listen to you later. It's got this 70's vibe (with some 80's touches). It's like some kind of John Lennon drug trip where he's not quite delivering his lines and just waxing poetic. It wasn't horrible but I know if you ask me about this song tomorrow, I'll have no recollection. There's just no hook.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm totally crushed, of course. :wink: No argument about the Lennon thing, that's exactly where the title took me. There are bits of Harrison mixed up in there too -- the whole Maharishi period, obviously.

By all means, listen again later. Some of the hooks in the other songs took days to sink into my brain. (Kasper's "I don't believe that at all" got in there first!)
supremeedible
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, but will attempt anything
Recording Method: Firepod + Audacity FTW
Submitting as: Gooey Caramel Centaur

Post by supremeedible »

Niveous wrote:Gooey Caramel Centaur - I feel like this should be the part of a Soul Asylum unplugged session. OMG. At 1:43, GCC had the serious Peter Brady moment. This was the first song this week to make me run to the lyric thread. I wanted to give this a shot, but I am not a fan of these lyrics. "You factored out the corest"? And who gets their clothes woven on to them? Some odd choices you made there.
Thanks for the review, sir.

I will perhaps concede "you factored out the corest" (although I just realized now it is a very near math pun about factoring out kernels of maps) but just by way of explanation, the first three lines of the bridge are references to gracious concessions made by God for the first men in the Bible: a garden was grown for Adam, clothes were woven for (not onto) Adam and Eve, and a protection was placed on Cain's life.

Hope that makes the lyric a little less weird.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Spud wrote:I upgraded winamp to deal with synchronized lyrics, and it appears that you have not properly encoded them in SYLT format. Perhaps your "newer iPod" has not yet caught up with this latest (2004) technology. Get with it, Roymond.

SPUD
Damn you, Spud! Yes, I haven't upgraded anything since 2003. Now I have to brown bag some purchases so my wife doesn't notice...
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

DuToVa wrote:
roymond wrote:I like how the arrangement builds, myself, so if the first verse feels out of place (alone?) I don't know what to say. Do you not like the lyric or the setting?
The more I listen to the song, the more the beginning grows on me. My original comment pertained only to the first three lines of the chorus (00:25-00:45). Maybe the thing that seems out of the place to me is the strong guitar attacks during those lines. Doesn't really matter. It's an awesome song! I'm going to dig into your music archives. Any suggestions?
Yeah, I think that's part of the one-week (three sessions) production time. This one should be re-made to clean these things up. Thanks for the feedback!

As for archives...try these: http://roymond.com/albums/roymond.html
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Authors of-This is very busy and unbalanced mix wise. Lots of good notes. The vocal recordings are the worst. Singing is adequate but awkward in the timing. Sounds like you’re forcing lyrics into the space. The strings were nice to hear at the beginning. Sounds like you are self aware of all the shortcomings. I think as you dial in your recording techniques you’ll sound much better. I think this is way too long.

Banging Betty- Wow this is boring. I like the guitar tone. The blues riff is tired. Your voice is just fine. The mumble of your delivery reminds me of “Going to the Country” from Canned Heat. Where’s the bass? Where’s the solo?

Berkeley Social Scene
- We actually had a BSS core session on that 1st Tuesday during this challenge. We managed to write this song and get a crumby recording of it. I should say Ken and Lunkhead sounded awesome, but Martyr and myself needed some help. So the week progressed, Ken made a midi version for us to record to. Lunkhead offered up his rhythm track. BTW the main riff and song grew from Lunkhead. Ken later put down some fantastic drums. That Monday night before the deadline, Martyr and myself got together for my guitar, my solo, Vocals, and bass. We have families and small kids, so we got together at like 10:30pm and went on ‘til 4:00am. Martyr nailed the bass line early on. I coached Martyr through the vocals, acting like a total asshole, “pitchy, do it again”, “I didn’t believe you, do it again”, “Now with some semblance of timing, do it again”, “try a melody that doesn’t suck, do it again”. Anyway, I enjoy doing that, and I like the result. It was getting really late when my solo finally came together. We threw around a few ideas for the final chorus to make it interesting. The final result has grown on me and I love it now. It was nice to do a song in 4/4. My band mates are awesome! VOTE

Brandoni Carluchi- Nice and loud. This REALLY needs drums. I know the acoustic is rather persussive, but I miss drums. Blah blah blah you sing. I haven’t an idea what you’re talking about. Cool voice, melody could vary and explore more. I love the acoustic playing, it’s got excellent conviction, you’re strumming the hell out of it and it sounds great. I wish there were more guitar melodies, more vocal melodies, and especially some drums.

Corduroy Gangsta
- trying out some gear at a music store?

Crank Radio- I have some Dust Pipe recordings where we got the cops showing up captured on tape. Anyway, your neighbor Nancy is just as excellent a catch on (tape?). this is a cool pop song. The recording leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps this is too long. I like the harmony chorus and the drums. The lead guitar is pretty good too.

Doscientos
- Very cool song. I like the distorted bass. The organ is cool. I wish the vocals were less affected and more clear. Nice short and sweet song.

Du To Va- The vocals are excellent. The bass sounds great. Drums are cool. The lyrics are a bit painful. I had to fast forward through the 2nd verse and chorus because it musically sounded the same as the 1st verse and chorus. No solo? Not much variety in the bridge either. Great solid performance. I think if the music evolved more as the song progressed would make it stronger. Uck fade out. Write an ending!

Gooey Caramel Centaur- Great vocals! The spare drums work really well. I appreciate them far more than a drum machine! Bass is nice but not very adventurous. This has a lot of tasty things going on. Although, nothing is grabbing me. Needs a stronger hook, needs a solo, the counterpoint vocals for the last 40 seconds is my favorite part. Excellent ending!!!!

i.p. – Where have you guys been? You know I don’t think the chorus is very strong. But this is sooooooo atmospheric and pleasant to listen to. I always love your vocals. The drums and bass and fantastic. The rhythm acoustic is perfect. This is a keeper and a mix cd track. VOTE

James Owens- Bass sounds great! Are these all midi sounds? The string plucks have a good timbre to them, there’s something awkward about the line though. Your voice sounds great. This is a good listen, I’m enjoying it. It’s pretty mellow, almost sleepy.

Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders
- E, D, A done! Well, I like your voice, I like the acoustic noodling when it happens. I think the claps were a mistake. I hope you didn’t spend much time on this. There’s not much to it.

Kasper- This is pretty. You guys need some drums. The flute sounded a bit pitchy to me. Perhaps you need to tune to it? I’m not blown away by this, but it’s a fine song.

King Arthur-
Facebook has kicked my ass with ghosts and friends of ghosts. Man that guitar sounds good, and the bass sounds super good. I freaking hate that vocal synth patch thing. Your lead vocals are very prominent, but done very well. This is too much story and not enough music for my tastes. Done well. I wish there was some natural sounding piano rather than that awful keyboard patch. Good stuff.

The Lord of Oats- I like this. Your brought your vocals into key ;) I like the way this song progresses. Nice juicy long intro. Some good melotron sounds. I like the dynamics a lot. Good stuff!

Paco del Stinko-
Always good. The punches in the verses are my favorite parts. Backing vocals are wonderful as usual. This is just BAD ASS! VOTE!

Pathetic Wannabees- Nice and hissy and energetic. Short and fun!

Pigfarmer Jr.- This is rather song by numbers. Drum machine is dull. I think you took it too slow. Perhaps a much higher tempo would spark some interest. It just sounds stoned.

Ross Durand- I love the harmonies! I love the guitar recording. This is done so well I have to vote for it. Not very adventurous, but rather beautiful. Good lyrics. Quite the time capsule. This reeks of 2009. Very Well done! VOTE

Roymond- Lydian! You had me at the sharp 4 in the chorus. Hot damn this is cool! Great chords! The lead guitar reminds me of George Harrison. Wow this is good! This is my favorite of the fight! Very impressed! VOTE

Swilington- The music is great! I think you need a couple more takes on the vocals. They are in key, but a little unsure on the timing. I love the little Zappa runs. Too damn short. So much goodness going on, I must vote for it.

Very Gentle Knives- Tuesday night is our jam night. We (Berkeley Social Scene) ended up with a new configuration . My long time friend Leif joined us. You may recognize his awesome vocals from our Zinkline album Bending the Worlds- he sings lead on Prom Night and co-lead vocals on Hot Peppers. Also we did a Martyrless Zipline with Leif called Ziplief for Georgia’s Hand. So Kens friend Steve has jammed with us a few times now and he’s on this recording playing bass. He was part of the Dry Spell writing session also. We got yours truly on guitar and Ken on drums. So this was Tuesday night and the song was due Wednesday morning. We wrote the song rather collectively. We took several takes to get all the music. Each take got better and better.. the take we used we were seeking “The Zone” and we found it. It was one of those, we all gelled, we were thinking as one, I got chills. We over dubbed the vocals. I had “noted” down some lyrics on my iPhone earlier in the day once I realized we had a full band for the evening. (remember I was up until 4am the night before working on the BSS track. So I’m rather proud of the solo, it is live and not overdubbed, in this “in the zone” take. The amazing thing was Lief and how awesome a vocalist he is. He made Ken and me feel like we’re a bunch of amateurs. I mean he pulled out that melody and timing and harmonies immediately upon 1st read of lyrics. He’s got a big strong voice and he’s super talented. It’s always a pleasure to play with Leif. So an anagram for Lief Steve Glen Ken was Feel Gentle Knives, but I wanted to be farther away from Berkeley (alphabetically), so Very Gentle Knives was the agreed upon name. I really didn’t want to return to the chorus. With more time I think we would have developed that ending. However, I love the groove so much, it’s fun to hear it for a while. VOTE

Wages- Timing issues, recording issues. That solo is painful. Cool voice, still needs a good song and a decent recording.

The Weakest Suit- This is not as inspired as some of your recent work.

The gems that really grabbed me and got my vote are:

Roymond
Swilington
Ross Durand
Paco del Stinko
i.p.
Very Gentle Knives
Berkeley Social Scene
Last edited by glennny on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

glennny said:
James Owens- Bass sounds great! Are these all midi sounds? The string plucks have a good timbre to them, there’s something awkward about the line though. Your voice sounds great. This is a good listen, I’m enjoying it. It’s pretty mellow, almost sleepy.
Glad you liked it. The plucked strings are from Reason Adapted, which came with my M-Audio midi controller and has some pretty good samples. The bass uses the same plucked strings, with the same reverb and echo settings. But as DuToVa noted, the pizzicato timing is a little off in places.

Other people say I tend to play songs on the slow side. Must be my transcendental metabolism. :)
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

glennny wrote:Pigfarmer Jr.- This is rather song by numbers. Drum machine is dull. I think you took it too slow. Perhaps a much higher tempo would spark some interest. It just sounds stoned.
Thanks for that. Useful. You've hit my most prominent flaw.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
supremeedible
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, but will attempt anything
Recording Method: Firepod + Audacity FTW
Submitting as: Gooey Caramel Centaur

Post by supremeedible »

Here we go! I listened to the last last half of the alphabet about a week ago and was amazed by the quality of this week's entries. I listened to the first half just now and was slightly less amazed. Sorry if I don't have much to say about your song.

Authors Of
I was greatly excited by the beginning. The timing went downhill as the song went on, and it sounds like this was deliberate, but I can't at all think why it would be. Strange. Also: six minutes! That seems a while for not too much to happen.

Banging Betty
How much time does it take to put the faders in reasonable positions?

Berkeley Social Scene
Neat ostinato in my left ear. I would like the vocals to be a bit more prominent.

brandoni carluchi and his pesto problem
Pretty good.

Corduroy Gangsta
I am a fan of the minimalist approach, but this is more what I would call the "non" approach. Maybe your entering such a contentless song is meant itself to be a reflection on this week's title, but there are probably better ways to pull this off.

Crank Radio
O how I loves me a good gimmick! I think maybe you could've got the live sound and still got it sounding a little clearer, but the performance is excellent. Your drummer knows where it's at!

Doscientos
I have nothing to say, sorry.

DuToVa
Generally very good. I don't mind a well used fade out, but that there is not one.

Gooey Caramel Centaur
I really like the song, and in particular what's happening with the conflicting rhythm guitars. The vocals are very weak, especially in the "nothing is everything" chant near the end, where they make me cringe. You need a better way of recording drums.

i.p.
Your voice sells this so well. VOTE.

James Owens
The dull vocals work really well. It sounds like there are some timing issues in places, particularly between the drums and the synth between stanzas?

Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders
It's a tad cheesy for my liking.

Kasper
I'm a huge sucker for compound time. The vocals aren't perfect, but I don't think the song would be as awesome if they were. VOTE.

King Arthur
This is beautiful, has a nice structure, well-emoted vocals, and a VOTE!

Lord of Oats
I love the intro, and the music in general -- you know how to use your synths! I'm not a big fan of the lyrics.

Paco del Stinko
This is fantastic! Very fun and very listenable. I'm loving the background vocals! A big VOTE!

Pathetic Wannabees
Good fun! It'd be great if I could make out the words at the beginning.

Pigfarmer Jr
When your vocals are off they're a fitting sort of off.

Ross Durand
This is beautiful. I cannot fault it. I really like how you've written the picking: it's very interesting. The background vocals work well as well, some nontrivial harmonies. VOTE!

roymond
Very well produced. The chorus is a tad boring. Sustaining the vocals into the final chorus is cool.

Swilington
What you have of this is pretty nice, but it doesn't seem like a complete song -- more like an idea "dragged out" a bit.

Very Gentle Knives
This song captured me from the start. I'm still not sure how I feel about a solo half the length of the song, but this works well. On the first time through I thought the noodling in my right ear during the build was a bit distracting, but the second time through that sounded fitting, and the (not quite in time?) background vocals on the verses were distracting instead. Anyway, VOTE!

Wages
GnG. The solo is nice but it's a bit awkward having it punch in and out again when the rest of the song is all really low.

The Weakest Suit
I like the song a lot, but the recording, in particular the vocal performance, lets it down. I'm a fan of the doubled vocals in the verses -- they work well modulo the performance. The fade out is a bit strange with the guitar starting and stopping like that: the guitar is a lot of the song, so when it drops out it sounds like the song is over.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

supremeedible wrote:
James Owens - The dull vocals work really well. It sounds like there are some timing issues in places, particularly between the drums and the synth between stanzas?
Uh, thanks. I'm always glad to get feedback (except from my mic). I hope you mean "dull" as in "not with an edge," as opposed to "boring." And yes, the timing issue is now well-documented, although it got by me at the time. I'll certainly watch for that in future.